Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearms Acts 1925-2006

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Nope, it's so the postman or DHL fella doesn't get arrested whilst delivering a gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

i thought the age was 16 before
    Still is for a full cert. Training certs are a different animal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

ah now i follow i was getting worried

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭FLAG

Hi Folks

No surprises some minor amendments to the Firearms Acts through the CJA 2007, Head 50 refers: As attached.

J&K reference relates to an error in the CJA 2006 related to authorisations for firearms for members of the airport autority to allow them use them in the course of their work.

FLAG

The briefing given by Declan to head office (and to the NARGC) on the meeting with the DoJ recently:
    Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2007 9:55 AM
    Subject: New Firearms Certification Fees
    Hi Folks

Just to let you all know that we had our first meeting with the new principal officer in the DOJ

Essentially:

1) Updated restricted firearms listing will be provided to us in or around the 20th April for review
    2) Firearms legislative Guidelines in draft presently will provide a copy when possible
    3) Range inspector and range authorisation unlikely to be put in place before the next certification time
    4) The new three year licence will not come into play till 2008
    5) Appeals process to District court while in place may not be effective as it refers to applications made to the superintendent under the new legislation which is not yet enacted, DOJ to seek advice from attorney general on the matter
    6) Finance Bill 2007 has published new certification fees: Scandalous: 3x +40% for the privilege of terrible service, in the memoranda they indicate that the three year licence introduction is to decrease the admin by the gardai!!! therefore not unreasonable to decrease fee, in essence if you own up to 6 firearms and a mix of rifles, pistols and shotguns be prepared to fork out �1,000 ish in fees for a three year licence!

Rifle/Pistol/Revolver �170
    Shotgun �115
    Subs shotgun �30
    Reloading Cert �90
    Club Authorisation �1,000.00

And this one takes the biscuit!!! A training certificate introduced to facilitate the training of individuals from 14 years of age will cost �170 for a rifle/pistol and �115.00 for a shotgun, they cannot even possess the gun, who in their right mind could think of such a thing. So mush for encouraging youth participation, assuming that a 14 year old gets it, he then has to fork out another �170 when he gets to 16 for his certificate. What a joke.

In any case we do not know the current status of the Finance Bill 2007 but it requires urgent attention to change some of this clear rip off.

Declan

Can I just be the first to thank Declan for his choice to use Boards.ie as the first place to report information on firearms legislation, even before he reports it to the rest of the committee he's working for?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭FLAG

Sparks wrote:
    The briefing given by Declan to head office (and to the NARGC) on the meeting with the DoJ recently:

Can I just be the first to thank Declan for his choice to use Boards.ie as the first place to report information on firearms legislation, even before he reports it to the rest of the committee he's working for?

Can't win can I, I'm dammed if I do not give information and I am dammed if I do. For Marks information the Chairman of the SSAI attended the meeting with Justice and it was agreed that the Chairman would report on the proceedings to the committee! Clearly the issue was of grave importance to all and I dared to explain the situation by publishing the data on the boards.

I can also confirm that I called Des Crofton of the NARGC on the Wednesday PM and briefed him on the lisence increases, to that point he was unaware of the increases also, I am sure Mark will have some runle to quote that I broke in discussing the matter with Des.

Please be aware that these boards are open to anybody to look at and the bull that is perpetrated by certain individuals will do the shooting community no good, just remenber that Mark!

the Chairman of the SSAI attended the meeting with Justice and it was agreed that the Chairman would report on the proceedings to the committee!
    And yet, there's your email briefing the remainder of the committee later on.
    Just can't help it, can you?
    Please be aware that these boards are open to anybody to look at and the bull that is perpetrated by certain individuals will do the shooting community no good, just remenber that Mark!
    I'll take my chances with something we can all see over those with some loose cannon going off and speaking on our behalf without planning or oversight any day of the week.

BTW, we weren't the first place to put that email up on the net Declan, so I'd be throwing rocks somewhere else first.

Besides, it's too damn funny. You've posted a half-dozen different "I've had enough, I'm going home and taking my ball with me!" posts on here over the past few years, but suddenly you're reporting stuff here before you report it to your own committee? Even you would have to admit the irony there Declan...

Can't win can I, I'm dammed if I do not give information and I am dammed if I do
    No, you're just damned if you don't. If you'd just keep people informed about things the way we've been asking you to for the past seven years or more, none of this slagging would ever have happened. Or don't you remember what it was like seven or eight years ago Declan, with me covering your PRO duties for you when you were out of the country and Nick Flood was off winning silhouette competitions? You brought all this on yourself lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 DJKH

As ever my sentiment to you is p*ssoff and go and spoil someone elses evening, you are really good at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Apparently , the rest of the CJB went through the Dáil yesterday.

The not-really-all-that-secret-scuttlebutt is that the CJB has to go through fast because the Minister wants it enacted before the Dail is dissolved (as otherwise it becomes defunct).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Figured as much ...:rolleyes:

How is that going to work with commencement dates for the new sections...?

No idea JC. He could sign the commencement orders on the way out the door (assuming he's not returned) and they'd still be valid. Which is why we should be holding off on celebrating too heavily on the licence fee thing, because until the election's done and dusted, everything is still up in the air -- and could come down on our heads without much warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Seamus357

Has there been any update from the DOJ on the list of restricted firearms? The last I heard was that pistols above .22, rifles above .280, certain "military" calibres such as .223 and semi-automatic shotguns with a capacity of more then 3 rounds were to be restricted. I understand that the shooting bodies were pushing to allow pistols up to .38 and rifles to .32 to be unrestricted. Anyone heard anything?

The official word is:
    My Department has consulted with An Garda Síochána, organisations representing different shooting interest groups and firearms dealers representatives regarding the drafting of this statutory instrument. I am satisfied that the final version which will be published, within the near future, will represent a reasonable balance between allowing people go about their business or interests lawfully while at the same time having due regard to public safety and security.

The Commissioner in consultation with my Department has prepared draft guidelines on firearms licensing. The draft is currently being finalised and it is my intention that it will be circulated when ready.

For the record, the NTSA was one of the bodies that met with the Department and we've formally objected to the propsed list (at least the draft we saw at that point) on five seperate grounds; that it restricted olympic smallbore pistols, that it restricted ISSF pistols based on cosmetic grounds with no objective basis, that it restricted other ISSF firearms based on cosmetic grounds with no objective basis, that it could be read to restrict certain ISSF air rifles, and because it restricted ISSF 300m rifles.

We've never even had an acknowlegement to the objections, and we've been pushing for another meeting with the Department (and perhaps someone a bit higher up than the most junior civil servants available on the day this time); so far no response until the licence fees issue came up.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Seamus357

Hi Sparks,
    Has there been any update on the DOJ restricted firearms list since last April?

Not so far as I know Seamus. We've pointed out several problems with it to the DoJ and they've accepted that the wording that was in it was a problem (for example, a lot of ISSF rifles were on the list because of their stock design). They told us they'd change that, but we've not seen the result yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 brian.mcmanus

Hello,

Left Ireland at 15 and before I took up shooting. Shot pistol in UK before they were banned. Now shooting rifle ( target and a little bit of game )

Cnsidering a return to live in Ireland but cannt seem to find a definative list of what is permissable.

Looked at the new 2006 amendments but they seem vague as t what is allowed.

Can you possess semi auto rifles ? And pistols - are they back ?

Anybody can give me a link to a website with a clear list of what is permissable ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Hello,

Left Ireland at 15 and before I took up shooting. Shot pistol in UK before they were banned. Now shooting rifle ( target and a little bit of game )

Cnsidering a return to live in Ireland but cannt seem to find a definative list of what is permissable.

Yes and yes, but there are lots of provisos. You need good reason for most firearms and for pistols you need to be a memberof an authorised pistol club plus other restrictions that have been mentioned elsewhere.

Basically your local Superintendent is your licensing authority and what he says goes unless you want to spend time in court.
    Anybody can give me a link to a website with a clear list of what is permissable ?
    Because of the nature of the beast, no website is going to give you a definitive answer. You'll have to go through the process before you know what you can or can't have.

Folks

After much hard work and gritting of teeth :), I have completed a long standing objective of consolidating all the Firearms Acts and bits of Firearms Acts over the years into one document.

As best as I could, I've amended, repealed and substituted everything in order to make it as up to date as possible. The end result is the Firearms Act as it shoould stand were the entire thing to be consolidated into one Act.

Each act (or part) is colour coded so you can see at a glance what bits came from where. Any amendments are annotated with the amending acts year and section.

Enjoy :)

If you spot any glaring errors please let me know.

FIREARMS ACTS 1925 to 2007

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

rrpc wrote: »
    Folks

After much hard work and gritting of teeth :), I have completed a long standing objective of consolidating all the Firearms Acts and bits of Firearms Acts over the years into one document.

As best as I could, I've amended, repealed and substituted everything in order to make it as up to date as possible. The end result is the Firearms Act as it shoould stand were the entire thing to be consolidated into one Act.

Each act (or part) is colour coded so you can see at a glance what bits came from where. Any amendments are annotated with the amending acts year and section.

Enjoy :)

If you spot any glaring errors please let me know.

FIREARMS ACTS 1925 to 2007

Very good of you to bother

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Folks

Bloody hell! 60 pages and 26,568 words!

Well done rrpc, that'll make some nice bedtime reading. :D

Rovi wrote: »
    Bloody hell! 60 pages and 26,568 words!

Well done rrpc, that'll make some nice bedtime reading. :D

You can blame McDowell for most of them. :mad: If he was a programmer he'd work for Microsoft. :D

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

If only they used diff and patch. :D

There is a long-term project in the DoJ to roll up most of the criminal law into one single Criminal Code. Irish Criminal Law Service Pack 1 if you will. :) It'll probably take ages to do, but hopefully it will make hand-made roll-ups like rrpc's unnecessary.

There's also a project in the DoJ to prepare a restatement of the Firearms Acts in one document (but in this case, which would become the official Firearms Act instead of a useful guide to the Acts), but I'd be willing to lay odds that it's a rather low priority on their list.

In other news, section 38 of the CJA 2006 was just commenced by the Minister; this section makes alterations to the requirements to be met by firearms dealers, the register of dealers, standards their premises must meet, and so forth. SI 848 of 2007, signed at some point in December but only reported in Iris Oifigiuil on Jan 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 KennyCleveland

Are you really going to stand for this? Fear a government that fears your guns.

Hello,

Move to the states. We are your last hope.

Yes and yes, but there are lots of provisos. You need good reason for most firearms and for pistols you need to be a memberof an authorised pistol club plus other restrictions that have been mentioned elsewhere.

Basically your local Superintendent is your licensing authority and what he says goes unless you want to spend time in court.

Because of the nature of the beast, no website is going to give you a definitive answer. You'll have to go through the process before you know what you can or can't have.
    Wow! I Really wasn't looking to talk guns but OK! I goggled "Irish American Fraternity" looking to make some connections back in Erie and It took me to your board. My Grandparents emigrated from Cork in 1915. I visited Ireland in 1997. I love to shoot and hunt and own several rifles that I've sited in myself. I've read in my NRA journals of the restrictions you're allowing your government to force upon you. Now I see it is real. How humiliating this must must be. For what it is worth...

So here I am. An American-Irish posting on an Irish gun tip bbs. Hope you all accept me. I don't have any pics of my firearms to post although I could surely take some. But basically my favorite handguns I own are a High Standard Supermatic Citation Military made in 1972 in .22LR (first gun I ever bought) and a Taurus Arms .454 Casull Raging Bull (I carry this gun in the bush in AK when I'm not hunting but have never drawn it) It is a monster to fire. Tore up my buddy's rotator cuff.

I have a concealed carry permit (not hard to get in 40 of the 50 states unless u r a felon)for most states and usually have my SandW .38 Airlite PD revolver with a crimson trace laser site holstered on my hip or a Beretta .32 Tomcat on my ankle. Unless. ironically I travel back to my home crime ridden NYS where only the bad guys can have guns. Will the law makers ever learn?

"An armed society is a polite society." Here in the mid-west USA We are really not the wild west you've been told. More guns = less crime. So simple.

My favorite rifle to shoot is my Anschutz Model 1710 D KL Monte Carlo chambered in .22LR with a Model 54 Match Action and a Leupold 3 -9 scope. What a blast to shoot! Don't know if Leupold is available in EU but what a scope for the money! and their customer service is stellar. Unless u got the coin for Swarovski.

For hunting rifles I love Weatherby. My main deer rifle is 30 06 Weatherby. I hunt black bear with a 7 mm Rem mag Winchester. Have a scoped Savage Arms rifled slug gun for non rifle deer states and a
    Benelli turkey gun, another mother to shoot! 3.5" shells. ouch! I have a Mossberg 590 DAO shotgun with a Surefire lighted fore end and a folding sock/pistol grip just to protect my homestead here in the hood and an AR-15, hot-rodded, in case I am ever asked to negotiate with the UN. All these firearms are legally owned, stored, transported and used btw.

If any of my Irish brothers or sisters are headed stateside I'd be happy to introduce you to shooting here in the great state of Ohio, assuming we can get comfortably introduced beforehand. We can shoot the above and I also have a vintage M1A and a M30 carbine (both saw action) we can shoot as a tribute to my recently departed Dad, a sergeant in the 2ND BATTALION, 47TH INFANTRY REGIMENT, 9TH DIVISION. One of the liberators of Dachau. I think of his sacrifice to our freedom with every shot I squeeze off.

Anyway, Just thought I'd write from here in Cleveland, OH. I'd be grateful to hear from fellow hunting and shooting enthusiasts across the pond. I wish you justice.

Thanks and regards,

Kenny

More guns = less crime. So simple.
    And wrong. More guns, less crime was John Lott's thesis. He's since been shown to have biased his research, done his math incorrectly, and used sock puppets galore to boost sales of his book. He's been entirely discredited.

However, before going any further down this line, quoting the forum charter is in order:
    The forum exists for discussion of the shooting sports (meaning all shooting sports, from international competition to backyard plinking and anything and everything in between) and sport shooting (meaning hunting, wildfowling, and so on).

It is not for the discussion of the use of firearms in self-defence, nor for discussions about the "right to keep and bear arms" (usually referred to as RKBA) as found in other countries. There are many other forums on the net which cater to those topics; we suggest Cybershooters in the UK or The High Road in the US for those who wish to discuss these topics.

There are, however, precious few forums on the net that cater to the actual sport of shooting and we wish this forum to be among that number. Therefore all discussions on self-defence and RKBA are Off-Topic. Those starting or partaking in such discussions will be warned; if posters continue to engage in them, the offending posts may be edited or deleted and the posters temporarily or permanently banned from the forum.
    Seriously, welcome to the forum, hope you find it useful, but really - we can't do the RKBA thread in here. Head over to the politics forum for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Hmm, doing my bit of legal reading at the moment, as my Super is refusing me an Article 7 unless I give him exact details of what I want to import and from where, while I was under the impression that it was something of a blanket licence to import in respect of a particular firearm.

Firstly, I'm having trouble locating the appropriate S.I. at the moment, which I'll need to talk to the local Sergeant and see what he thinks, and secondly, was reading through rrpc's amalgamated act and found section 17>4B, which seems to suggest the licence for importation comes from the Minister, and that it's not an entitlement, as I had believed. Can anyone clarify what should be happening here for me?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Hmm, doing my bit of legal reading at the moment, as my Super is refusing me an Article 7 unless I give him exact details of what I want to import and from where, while I was under the impression that it was something of a blanket licence to import in respect of a particular firearm.

Firstly, I'm having trouble locating the appropriate S.I. at the moment, which I'll need to talk to the local Sergeant and see what he thinks, and secondly, was reading through rrpc's amalgamated act and found section 17>4B, which seems to suggest the licence for importation comes from the Minister, and that it's not an entitlement, as I had believed. Can anyone clarify what should be happening here for me?

The SI that covers Article 7s is S.I. No. 362/1993 — European Communities (Acquisition and Possession of Weapons and Ammunition) Regulations, 1993. You want to read Regulation 9 (2) of that SI. An "Article 7 Authority" is the document referred to in 9 (2) (a) (ii). Your Super might be mixing it up with the document described in 9 (2) (b).

The SI implements Council Directive 91/477/EEC of 18 June 1991 on control of the acquisition and possession of weapons which might be useful reading too.

Advertisement