Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever died in your dreams / nightmares?

Options
  • 29-07-2006 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting new forum. Nice one.

Have thought about this a bit. A few times, I've had dreams where I've been killed.
    The freakiest was where some hitman was chasing me down in my old house... I was trapped in a room and I saw him come down the stairs... point a gun at me and *bang*... I woke up.
    Had a few other mad dreams in warzones where I was killed and woke up.
    Just wondering if many others have such dreams (nightmares I guess).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I usually fall over a cliff (then I wake up on the floor :D).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I've died and risen from the dead with superpowers.

That was one kick ass dream

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Yep, I know I've had a couple, only one I remember clearly is from a few years ago. I was crossing the street and got hit by a truck. I raised my head one last time to look at the people now rushing to see if I was ok, and then lay my head back down on the pavement and closed my eyes and died. Then I woke up :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I often dream about someone else close to me getting killed because of something I done. It usually ends up with me in a helpless situation unable to do anything as the other person is killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

A number of times but I always wake up before the incident that causes my death actually happens.:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No, I think that means I am immortal.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Never actually died in a dream, i usually get to the point of dying and some other occurence will 'interrupt' it and will wake me up.

Eg: in a dream i was hit by a car (4 days after i actually got hit by a car) and im lying there with pain coming from everywhere except my head which lets me concentrate a little... then the distraction, i see my Grandfather (deceased) telling me to open the door to the hen shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

ya, loads of times.

Knocked down
    Shot
    Stabbed
    Tortured (worst one)
    Falling of a building/cliff (everyone has that one)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Stick grenade.

Just as well I respawned.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Did you wake up screaming "CHEATZZ!!11!!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Munya

I usually fall over a cliff (then I wake up on the floor :D).

Yup same here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Had a very cool semi-lucid dream where I was killed on some Dublin backstreet.. forget exactly how I died but I think I was mugged and shot.. defenitly something of that nature.

The great thing was that this wasn't the end of the dream, and once I had died I found myself more or less in control of myself -- bad things happening to me in dreams often has a way of knocking me into lucidity, where my brain sort of fights back and says "right, enough of this.. time to do things my way!"

So, now I was 'dead' and aware that I could do anything I wanted. Naturally, I went flying :D. Flew up out of the ally, away from my mugger, and on over the Liffy... it looked like a much older version of Dublin, less fancy business blocks and more residential homes than you'd expect. Looked great though.

After that I decided to fly to Donegal, to the house I lived in for the first six years of my life. Flying there took no time at all and before I knew it I was floating over my old home.

I landed on the roof and then somehow made it inside to the living room where there were lots of family members gathered together. I honestly think it was a funeral of somesort - possibly my own, although the details weren't made aparent.

I stood amongst them unnoticed for for a while (I was a 'ghost', remember) and then the dream ended when one of my aunts made eye contact and finally noticed me.

One of the better dreams I've had.

Falling of a building/cliff (everyone has that one)
    Another lucid moment... myself, friends and family members were making our way accross a very narrow ledge on the side of a cliff, for reasons unknown, when my dad (who was just in front of me) said something to me which took me by suprise (can't remember what he said) and caused me to loose my footing. I slipped, fell and started falling head first.

Moments before I hit the bottom I realised I had the power to stop this and just came to a gradual halt about a foot away from the ground. Once I got over the shock of not having died I simply put my feet on the ground and stood up :D. The dream didn't last long after that, think something in 'real life' woke me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

After my grandfather died (I was about six) I had my first memorable dream. I was in the coffin, looking up at everyone.

I've also been bitten by zombies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Goodshape wrote:
    Moments before I hit the bottom I realised I had the power to stop this and just came to a gradual halt about a foot away from the ground. Once I got over the shock of not having died I simply put my feet on the ground and stood up :D. The dream didn't last long after that, think something in 'real life' woke me up.

So you can control how things happen in your dreams? Is it all of your dreams or only some?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Only some. I spent a bit of time training myself in how to do this and also how to better remember dreams (remembering is the first step, no point being in control if you forget it all in the morning).

Like I said, certin things seem to trigger it for me, generally things which I instictivly know couldn't happen in waking life or terrible events (like dieing) where I'm willing to try anything in order to stop it. Once the crazy tacticts actually work, I realise I've got control - as in the falling dream.

Definitly something I want to talk about in this forum.. I'll start a new thread either tonight or tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭mysteria

Usually to dream of dying represents a rebirth and predicts something new on the way, a new love, career move, beginning a new project or venture. It's generally a good sign representing moving on, a new life is on the way. Goodshape there's lots of symbolism in your dreams that reveal psychic abilities. Your "flying" was Astral travelling which often happens during sleep without us realising what it means. Your dream experiences in Donegal reveal you have talent as a Medium. Very interesting, complex dream. Dreams of falling, especially when you're just falling asleep, often mean you could "Astrally project" with some practice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Ruu wrote:
    A number of times but I always wake up before the incident that causes my death actually happens.:)

Me, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Ruu wrote:

Yep me too.

I've been shot in my dreams before but I didn't die. I just woke up clutching my stomach...took a few minutes to realise that I hadn't really been shot and it was only a dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

I remember a dream from a few weeks ago, I didn't actually die, but I was attacked, and fortunately kicked some ass, then more attackers arrived (on bikes, no less) and I woke up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

i've read that it's impossible to die in your dreams..
    you will always awake before the actual death occurs..
    any truth in this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

I was watching United 93 a while back. The last few seconds where the aircraft is spinning and the ground is getting closer and closer. I considered closing my eyes before it hit earth, just so i wouldnt know what it looked like, and therefore couldnt have nightmares about it.
    Sure enough I looked. Sure enough I now have dreams where it happens. Damnit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

[nicK] wrote:
    any truth in this?

I suppose if you did die, what would become of the rest of the dream? But I'd say it is possible

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Sean7

Used to dream I died all the time when I was a kid. I'd usually be fighting against something but in the end it'd get the better of me or I would fall off something and wake up and feel like I had fallen. I remember a great one when I was about 9 or 10 I dreamt our neighbours where actually monsters/aliens/whatever and they were chasing me with kitchen utensils. I hit them a few times but they pinned me to the wall with a shopping trolley and stabbed me. Never forget that one as long as I live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

I often have a dream that involves dying, almost like a tv show it seems to "pick up" from the end of the last one, truly bizarre.

Every time, it involves me dying (again and again) but being able to walk the earth trying to find a way of coming back to life.
    Tis a weird one thats for sure.

I've also been known to go into hysterical fits of laughter in my sleep, and Apparently on several occasions Im told I've got out of bed, into my wheelchair, turned it on, and made my way into the living room to find somthing that I had "lost" in my dream!
    Im told once I wandered around the room saying "where the hell did I put my friggin hair!?!" lol :)

I know, Im a weirdo, awake or asleep! :p;)

b

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

[nicK] wrote:
    any truth in this?

Well, I guess unless you've actually experienced death in real life, you probably wouldnt know if you were dead or not! :D

Most of the time (and from going on here) we seem to wake up before the moment of death... or what we would have perceived as a fatal moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

I have a lot of recurring dreams in certain periods of my life. One of them in particular comes in mind in relation to death.

I would dream that I was standing in front of a person pointing a gun at my head. I would be naturally terrified in that dream, going through every feeling that one would obviously go through if they had a gun pointed at their head. My biggest fear in that dream was about the pain of being shot in the head. I'd beg that person not to shoot me etc. and then I would wake up.

One night before going to bed I had a little think about the dream and about the circumstances in my life that were causing me to dream this dream. I went to sleep and dreamed the same thing. Except this time I told the person to shoot me. What was the worse thing that could happen. I got shot in the dream and it's amazing how realistic they could be. I could actually feel the bullet penetratiing through my brain in slow motion and exploding and this release of pressure. Then everything went black. After three months of dreaming this dream it stopped as soon as I faced up to being shot. I can still remember the feelings - dreams are amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

I had a series of dreams where my brother [who I dont get on with @ all] was always trying to kill me, but he never could

then one day he finally did. In that dream, I was watchin telly, n he cam in n sat down then just whipped out a gun and shot me in the head. The gunshot was SO loud! Scared the sh't out of me. Cos a sudden opposite change usually means something important

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I dreamt I died once (that I remember straight off) when I was about 12. I became a ghost or something in it. The strange thing was, it was a very comforting dream and I felt very happy when I woke up...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Ruu wrote:

Im the same. I actually always believed that you couldn't actually die in your dreams, you always wake up just before it, that is what always happens me,

turns out from other replies you can though :eek:

edit: only saw nicks comment now - thats what i had always thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭meowCat

I've never actually died in a dream. But people tried to kill me in dreams and I became so horribly scared, that I suddenly realised that I am just dreaming and I am really too scared and decided that I have to find a way to wake myself up.

Advertisement