Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Guns

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭joe_elway

kearnsr wrote:
    What kind of range does the gatso guns have? I was driven by the same spot today and I reckon I was doing about 5km/h over the limit while i was slowing down but I think when I was close to the coppers I was doing the limit. This was just before I saw them so I couldnt really tell.

The ones in the back window of a van have a very short ranged radar I think. Can't remember if it's X or KA band. It's the Garda sitting behind a bridge on the motorway you really have to watch out for.

I've seen a new model of van being used with a camera mounted in a side window. That puppy (red) appeared to be like a bus but the Garda Hat on the dash and the odd tinted side windows gave it away. Saw it between Dubdalk and Newry.

Someone mentioned new cars for the Traffic Corps. They've had unmarked Alfa's and Scooby Doo Foresters for a while. They getting something nice and shiny to park on the side of Motorways now?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you REALLY want to go into the letter of the law, technically when you enter a 50kmh zone from a, say 100kmh zone, you should be travelling at 50 when you pass the sign.
    If you come from Chapelizod onto the N4 and stay in the inside lane until it becomes a bus lane you have very little notice of the signs and can't really slow safely, the near sign is usually covered by vegatation and the far one could easily be missed behind a truck. :(

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

joe_elway wrote:
    The ones in the back window of a van have a very short ranged radar I think. Can't remember if it's X or KA band. It's the Garda sitting behind a bridge on the motorway you really have to watch out for.
    The cameras are usually pointed diagonally across the road and the driver would have to be within ~30 metres of the van to be candid camera'ed.
    joe_elway wrote:
    I've seen a new model of van being used with a camera mounted in a side window. That puppy (red) appeared to be like a bus but the Garda Hat on the dash and the odd tinted side windows gave it away. Saw it between Dubdalk and Newry.
    I always seem to get stuck behind slow drivers on this section anyhow, and although I haven't been up that way in a while, Im sure the road works are still ongoing and there should be a lower limit anyhow.
    joe_elway wrote:
    Someone mentioned new cars for the Traffic Corps. They've had unmarked Alfa's and Scooby Doo Foresters for a while. They getting something nice and shiny to park on the side of Motorways now?
    They recently (6 months ago) tested a number of other cars e.g. Mitsibushi Lancer Evo VIII, BMW 5 series, etc.

Advertisement