Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gardai in Swords driving a 06VW Toureg - Resources Wasted ??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

So no excuses then Spitfire, even if your over the speed limit while passing to get by a guy going under the limit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

well lightening, thats not what i said, read my post again youl see that i said "to overtake a car doing the limit"

If your overtaking a car under the limit then you wont be done unless you continue over the limit once you overtake as MOSTLY you get clocked more then once when you are in and around the speed they would do you for.

and to be honest, if you need to go OVER the limit to overtake then the car your passing is near enough the limit that there is no real need to overtake. As stated, its a limit not a target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I wonder has there been any speed checks/checkpoints or what ever carried out on any of the roads people have being killed on this weekend... probably not becuase the gatso van was parked up on the very start of the naas road yesterday getting ready to catch all the peeps heading home from Croke Park. I'm sure they earned the tax man a nice sum.

As for the Airport and speed checks. If you have been caught in the last few months on the stretch of bend on the M1 just before the airport listen up... If you HAPPENED to enter that section of road southbound (ie exiting for the airport coming from Belfast), the 60km sign has been missing on the right hand side of the exit which means your leaving a 120km limit and entering ont he right hand side lane a ???km limit. Yes you don't know that the limit has changed so your covered if you've picled up points on taht location. The law clearly states that the speed limit must be displayed on both lanes in a dual carriageway/motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

mrbungle wrote:
    It was just a heads up, if you live around swords, the cops issue points like shooting fish in a barrel for fun around airside and the airport roundabout.

and on both sides on the stretch between the Estuary Roundabout and the Lissenhall interchange on the M1.
    ... the only car that is at all "interesting" in the area is the blue Forester and thats based in santry, its one of the traffic unit cars.

yup - that's the one they try to hide behind the rounabout signs on the aforementioned stretch.

tbh I agree the Gardai should have decent cars but we should also have more Gardai in a town the size of Swords. I personally never see them walking the beat or patrolling my area.

people always say that the guards never have speed checks on back roads or bad roads but think about it, the guns wont work without a proper straight section of road that allows the car to be A) seen driving at a speed likely to be over the limit and B) clocked by the gun before its out of sight and then, lets just say that the car is somehow clocked and pulled over on a back road, where can it be pulled over without the risk of the next car coming around the bend over the limit and cleaning both the guard AND the pulled over car? Thats why you will see checkpoints on "good" main roads and in built up areas but wont see them outside. the roads are not safe enough to be able to detect bad drivers effectivlty and also, even if there ARE more guards to do the tasks required the government need to get a grip and get more cars allocated to stations to facilitate the movement of the guards.

• Advertisement

tbh I agree the Gardai should have decent cars but we should also have more Gardai in a town the size of Swords. I personally never see them walking the beat or patrolling my area.

The rumour among guards is that there are 40 from the next group being allocated between swords/coolock. BUT, as i said, what use are they if for example there is only one car allocated to the regular unit in coolock?

well lightening, thats not what i said, read my post again youl see that i said "to overtake a car doing the limit"

If your overtaking a car under the limit then you wont be done unless you continue over the limit once you overtake as MOSTLY you get clocked more then once when you are in and around the speed they would do you for.

and to be honest, if you need to go OVER the limit to overtake then the car your passing is near enough the limit that there is no real need to overtake. As stated, its a limit not a target.

I know that is not what you said, I never meant to imply that is what you said, I was just asking another question....

Well explained, thanks for clearing that one up. Nice to hear it from someone obviously in the know...

No problem lightening.
    Obviously the part were i say MOSTLY or USUALY are to be stressed, same as any other job, people have bad days where they take it out on 'customers'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

That's the first VAG car I have ever heard of being an undercover or even plain Garda car, not sure what they don't have any, maybe they had to purchase one from the manufacturer as to appear non biased?

No problem lightening.
    Obviously the part were i say MOSTLY or USUALY are to be stressed, same as any other job, people have bad days where they take it out on 'customers'.

Yeah, your right, the last time I got stopped, the Gard admired the car and told me to get an alarm and a good crook lock because "it wont stop them stealing it, but it will make them more eager to take the car beside your one"

he told me to take the GTi badges off too.... I didn't.

• Advertisement

id never wear the badges on a gti/r32/gte/rs etc, they just translate to "rob me" for scumbags. at times i prefer the subtle look too.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

except the rest of the car/trim are a bit of a give away

In fairness your right. And they're hardly setting up in certain places of their own back. Certainly the cops here are not supplied or resourced with proper equipment in relation to driving. I can't understand why they don't buy a few cars like the motorway cops across the pond. THEN they have something they can use on the back roads to catch the dangerous drivers.

because the government dont want to pay money to get the job done right. i think it was mary harney who said she didnt want the guards to have anything above a 2L for "enviroment/emissions" reason. In my opinion the MINIMUM should be a 2L with plenty of 2.5Ls about too. ford even offered to provide a "police pack" for the cars that i would emagine would have better/stronger brakes/gearboxs/clutches and would cost a fair bit at first but wouldnt need to e replaced anywhere near as often thus saving money in the long term, instead, there are cars in service that have and i am deadly serious here, been wrote off 4 TIMES and welded back together and put back on the road. and then people wounder why the gardaí cant provide as good a service as they should.

except the rest of the car/trim are a bit of a give away

Not always,just look at the golf 4motion, over 4L's and the looks of a standard golf, and also, most scumbags are too stupid to relise that its not just a bodykit.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Longrangedriver

Got flashed by woman today on way home from Limerick, just before I entered Borris in Oss. Halfway through looking for cops, and spotted two VW's, 1 black Toerag, and 1 new black Passat. Both had uniformed Garda on board.

Not always,just look at the golf 4motion, over 4L's and the looks of a standard golf, and also, most scumbags are too stupid to relise that its not just a bodykit.

Do Golf 4motion's not have a similar engine to the VR6, a 2.8l v6 24v engine with 4wd.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

Got flashed by woman today on way home from Limerick, just before I entered Borris in Oss. Halfway through looking for cops, and spotted two VW's, 1 black Toerag, and 1 new black Passat. Both had uniformed Garda on board.

Looks like you missing out Spitfire666, you should put in a transfer.

Sorry, yeah, i ment to hit 3L not 4L. they are 2.8L and 3.2L with 4 wheel drive.

@mrbungle.
    Yeah, I gotta look into this further, have not heard of, or seen the swords one though. what i do know though is that cars do get offered to the guards by dealers to try them out to see what they think of them and they get passed about to differant areas so it could well be that its the same one. like the mystery VX220 that was on either the galway or cork road. I do know that there is an orange focus ST on the N7. and in the depo the is some mondeo STs but where or when there going i dont know

Just heard today that the cops have their hands on a couple of the old type (XT Models) Subaru Forester around the Maynooth/Celbridge area. I'm sure there's more on the way....

• Advertisement

Sorry, yeah, i ment to hit 3L not 4L. they are 2.8L and 3.2L with 4 wheel drive.

@mrbungle.
    Yeah, I gotta look into this further, have not heard of, or seen the swords one though. what i do know though is that cars do get offered to the guards by dealers to try them out to see what they think of them and they get passed about to differant areas so it could well be that its the same one. like the mystery VX220 that was on either the galway or cork road. I do know that there is an orange focus ST on the N7. and in the depo the is some mondeo STs but where or when there going i dont know

I had a sandwich of Volvo S40 and Saab 93/95 marked on the M4 on Monday, 75 all the way to Lucan, slowest journey time yet:rolleyes: . Also seen that blue 01 Avensis with garage plates/stickers with strobes in grill, just about to pass him out, copped the car, and nearly sh!t myself, when he looked to his right, the look he gave me.:o

PS whats the read on GPS/VG2 radar/laser detectors;)

foresters are everywhere.
    there are a few saabs about alright but they were only a few as a trial but the 2L mondeos are much better cars.
    Loads of avensis about too.

Re: detectors, if using one to block a gun its a bad idea as there is a error code for a jammed gun and you will still get stopped and if its found you will get done for preventing the coarse of legal...............stuff. and thats worse then a speeding fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I still don't like them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

the guards cant handle the cars they have... how many time have we heard of guards going off the road with no other cars involved.... on their way to and emergency of course...two big macs.

the guards cant handle the cars they have... how many time have we heard of guards going off the road with no other cars involved.... on their way to and emergency of course...two big macs.

Not as often as you would like to think, MOST wont run the risk of crashing even if there is a panik alarm going off as its not worth it, if a guard has a tip in an official car, they cant drive anymore until a full investigation is carried out, even if its a case of driving along and sum1 backs out onto the road nd hits the side of the car which would clearly be the person backing outs fault.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I wouldn't begrudge the Gardai having high value cars that give better performance or higher level of safety. As far as I see it they are out there putting there lives on the line and deserve to have the best equipment they can get there hands on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Taking the badges off a MKV GTI is a complete waste of time.

Who gives a fiddlers what the guards drive, there's plenty of scum living in rent allowance brand new houses with their other halves shacked up - because he can - ripping the state off of tax, is anyone moaning about that waste of taxpayers money?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I wouldn't begrudge the Gardai having high value cars that give better performance or higher level of safety. As far as I see it they are out there putting there lives on the line and deserve to have the best equipment they can get there hands on.

.............I agree completely !

Beside there are plenty of wealthy scumbags out there driving high powered cars so hopefully the Garda Fleet will improve somewhat and they will have some hope of catching them. In the meantime the safer the car the better !

It wasn't long ago the had Avengers........................:D

foresters are everywhere.
    there are a few saabs about alright but they were only a few as a trial but the 2L mondeos are much better cars.
    Loads of avensis about too.

Re: detectors, if using one to block a gun its a bad idea as there is a error code for a jammed gun and you will still get stopped and if its found you will get done for preventing the coarse of legal...............stuff. and thats worse then a speeding fine.

Its just that I've been testing a few at the moment on roads in both RoI and the occupied 6 counties.

(a) is a generic type with VG2 detection/micro fusion, but does not jam Spectre/VG2-3 guns, only reads and warns of gun.
    (b) is a Snooper GPS type with laser detection and has pre-programmed and downloadable positions of Gatso and new fixed digital spec/truvelo cameras, and the pre-warning of Irish speed limit changes(entering and exiting towns etc) this also can read Garda, but a setting on the gun reads the device.
    (c) is a Beltronic made non-jamming unit with full laser/VG2-3/spectre guns.

I find that they keep me on the straight and narrow, and have slowed my general motorway/national road speeds, without being over cautious, were I find doing 40k miles per annum causes more problems.

I don't want to jam a gun, just want to get around without driving too fast in or around dodgy roads, I've enough problems with the Da based in GHQ, he doesn't approve, but sees the point in having some way of keeping drivers within the limits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

(b) is a Snooper GPS type with laser detection and has pre-programmed and downloadable positions of Gatso and new fixed digital spec/truvelo cameras, and the pre-warning of Irish speed limit changes(entering and exiting towns etc) this also can read Garda, but a setting on the gun reads the device.

Surely a change-in-limit warning is a good thing???

Advertisement