Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gardai in Swords driving a 06VW Toureg - Resources Wasted ??

Options
  • 13-07-2006 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

Resources and tax payers money wasted, in my opinion.

It's true, I couldn't believe it when I saw it, just 5mins ago at Airside. 06 Black VW Toureg, 2 'lads', uniformed, swanning around.

Watch your backs around Swords/Santry/Airport.

Smart car, didn't get close enough to check if there was leather !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

once you take the VAT VRT, and mosty of VW's margin out, the Touareg isn't that expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Perhaps one of them owns the car?
    I've seen guards driving to work/home in uniform ...or going for food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Well, it'll work, they can catch speeders, and fair enough if they get nice cars. Which engine was it do you know or other identifiable marks? That could be a clue for people. ALso, as colm_mcm says, take out VAT and VRT and it wouldn't be that expensive

wouldn't think much of the 2.5 TDi you might as well buy a Transporter

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

Squirrel wrote:
    Well, it'll work, they can catch speeders, and fair enough if they get nice cars. Which engine was it do you know or other identifiable marks? That could be a clue for people. ALso, as colm_mcm says, take out VAT and VRT and it wouldn't be that expensive

Black, virtually brand new, 06, still shining. Regular alloys, didn't get the model/marking.

After VAT+VRT still twice the price of an Avensis, that being my point.

• Advertisement

mrbungle wrote:
    Black, virtually brand new, 06, still shining. Regular alloys, didn't get the model/marking.

After VAT+VRT still twice the price of an Avensis, that being my point.

They won't buy the Avensis cos it's too expensive......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Nothing wrong with it tbh.
    99% probability it is a personal car (must be a detective or above to be able to afford it :D)
    If not, its not a whole lot of wasted money.

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    Nothing wrong with it tbh.
    99% probability it is a personal car (must be a detective or above to be able to afford it :D)
    If not, its not a whole lot of wasted money.

2 uniformed lads driving it. Will add again if I see it over the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

the car could have been seized,i saw a gaurd the other day in a civic complete with bodykit and furry dice.he was hard out on traffic duty!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Ooh Oooh. put an order in for an LS 600h lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

Unless you actually saw them performing official duties in it mrbungle, you can't be sure it wasn't a personal car, in which case your giving them an unfair rap.

Cops are entitled to wear their uniform to work.

I saw one going to work on the DART once. I didn't jump to the conclusion that the Gardai in Shankill had gone totally over the top and splashed out on a train for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

misterq wrote:
    I saw one going to work on the DART once. I didn't jump to the conclusion that the Gardai in Shankill had gone totally over the top and splashed out on a train for themselves.
    rofl :D

misterq wrote:
    Unless you actually saw them performing official duties in it mrbungle, you can't be sure it wasn't a personal car, in which case your giving them an unfair rap.

It was just a heads up, if you live around swords, the cops issue points like shooting fish in a barrel for fun around airside and the airport roundabout.

You know, the 60kmph zone, where all the people are getting killed in Ireland.

Is it necessary to pic up points for 62 in a 60kmph?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

mrbungle wrote:
    Is it necessary to pic up points for 62 in a 60kmph?

Yes, it is the law. 60 is the limit not the target...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

testicle wrote:
    Yes, it is the law. 60 is the limit not the target...

Here's a call for systematic soldiering - let's just call them targets to be reached but not exceeded because the people who don't reach them cause accidents by doing half the limit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

You'll find that it's not the people doing half the limit that are causing the accidents, it's the fools doing stupid things trying to get past them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

Guards driving Touaregs. What a waste of money and resources, why can't they continue to drive the ten year old corollas the two young guards in Finglas were killed in 3 years ago, or the bog standard mondeo that the joyrider struck and killed two in in Donnybrook in. If I was driving a patrol car in Dublin I think I would be looking for armour plating at this stage!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

Its not a garda car for god sake, I can tell you now its not. the only car that is at all "interesting" in the area is the blue Forester and thats based in santry, its one of the traffic unit cars.
    You didnt get done for doing 62 in a 60 and anyone who says they did is talking ****e. you would need to be doing at least 70 before getting anything more then a telling off.

Its not a garda car for god sake, I can tell you now its not. the only car that is at all "interesting" in the area is the blue Forester and thats based in santry, its one of the traffic unit cars.
    You didnt get done for doing 62 in a 60 and anyone who says they did is talking ****e. you would need to be doing at least 70 before getting anything more then a telling off.

My boss got 2 points doing 65 on that stretch between airside and the coachmans inn roundabout. He was in the left lane, a guy went past him and the cops pulled my boss. Told me on Thursday. Nice.

I live right beside that stretch of road, it's usually a cop on a motorbike, hiding behind it.

If he was actually doing 65, his speedo would be showing over 70. no excuse really. If he had been driving according to his speedo reading of 60, chances are he'd have been clocked at 55

• Advertisement

i know for a fact that he didnt get done doing 65. until i seen the fine in the post i wouldnt believe that for a second. the lads in santry wont do you for travaling 5kph over. almost all of them operate on a system wherebye they set the speedguns at 10kph over the limit for the area. its due to the fact that 1) speedos are not calibrated acurately, and 2) they are not gradded suffiently so one couldnt possibly tell the diff between doing 101 and 102 or 103 for example.

colm_mcm wrote:
    If he was actually doing 65, his speedo would be showing over 70. no excuse really. If he had been driving according to his speedo reading of 60, chances are he'd have been clocked at 55

That isnt always true either, not all cars show a speed above actual speed. ive seen some the opposite

My boss must be lying. He wasn't particularly happy when he told me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Its not a garda car for god sake, I can tell you now its not.

Are you Sure, I live in Swords and while I have not seen said car myself I have heard it exists from some natives who claim to have seen it patroling locally.

people always exagerate the facts when it comes to things like getting fined, i.e. its never their fault, or they were only speeding because they were over taking a car that was doing the limit (which i almost laughed at a guy when i heard that one as an excuse)

The Muppet wrote:
    Are you Sure, I live in Swords and while I have not seen said car myself I have heard it exists from some natives who claim to have seen it patroling locally.

IM SURE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

misterq wrote:

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭maidhc

That isnt always true either, not all cars show a speed above actual speed. ive seen some the opposite

Wrong wheels then. The manufacturers do it to avoid being hit with a negligence action... e.g. a driver claiming the pessimistic speedo caused him to crash.

thats what i ment. also older cars sometimes dont read the correct speed even if they are on standard wheels. just being old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

mrbungle wrote:
    Resources and tax payers money wasted, in my opinion.

It's true, I couldn't believe it when I saw it, just 5mins ago at Airside. 06 Black VW Toureg, 2 'lads', uniformed, swanning around.

Watch your backs around Swords/Santry/Airport.

Smart car, didn't get close enough to check if there was leather !!

Steady on son ! Did you actually see them doing anything apart from driving it in Airside?? Were they doing speed checks? Pulling people ? If you just saw them driving in it I have a theory.....one of the lads wants to buy a Toureg so they went here on their lunch.

http://www.mcallistervolkswagen.ie

Nothing wrong with that?

Id be amazed if they have one for police use. If they do then I'll be miffed as the rest of yis !

Advertisement