Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bad Replica

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

All these are a waste of MR2's really. That's my opinion anyway. Have a good holiday colm, keep an eye out for some good cars.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

There was a replica in the RDS modified car show last year and it was amazing. Every detail was impecibly done, the interior, seats, dash, brakes, etc. Very expensive to do but I thought it was cool. As long as it is still quick and sounds good. Personally if I wqas to have one i would have it completely debadged, cause you just look like a twat i your trying to say look at me I can't afford a Ferrari. However if you had a beautiful looking car but are not trying to blatently claim its somehting its not, then you might get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Zascar wrote:
    There was a replica in the RDS modified car show last year and it was amazing. Every detail was impecibly done, the interior, seats, dash, brakes, etc. Very expensive to do but I thought it was cool. As long as it is still quick and sounds good. Personally if I wqas to have one i would have it completely debadged, cause you just look like a twat i your trying to say look at me I can't afford a Ferrari. However if you had a beautiful looking car but are not trying to blatently claim its somehting its not, then you might get away with it.

Badge or no badge you'll still look like a twat:D and an embarrassed twat when something faster than 200bhp beats you off the lights :D:D :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Mc-BigE wrote:
    Badge or no badge you'll still look like a twat:D and an embarrassed twat when something faster than 200bhp beats you off the lights :D:D :eek:

Very true.....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Best way around it, don't race little nackers at the lights. A car like that is there to be looked at, not race arounf the streets like a lunatic. You see Ferrari's and Porsches al the time in Dublin, how often do you see them tearing around the place? Pretty rarely. I have a 220BHP Civic Type R that I'm sure would whip any MR2, but i don't go around revving my engine whenever I pull up beside another fast car...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Zascar wrote:
    Best way around it, don't race little nackers at the lights. A car like that is there to be looked at, not race arounf the streets like a lunatic. You see Ferrari's and Porsches al the time in Dublin, how often do you see them tearing around the place? Pretty rarely. I have a 220BHP Civic Type R that I'm sure would whip any MR2, but i don't go around revving my engine whenever I pull up beside another fast car...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_civic#Models_and_equipment

Accoring to Wikipedia your car does the 0 to 60mph in a fairly pedestrian 6.8 seconds whereas the MR2 GT Turbo(my car :P) does it in..... "Japanese MR2 GT model was able to accelerate from 0-100 km/h in a stunning 5.9 to 6.2 s"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_MR-2#MK_II

Back on topic: Those replicas are hideous, My eyes starting burning with pain when I saw the interior on that second "355 replica". The MR2 looks beautiful as it is. All I've changed on mine aesthetically is the alloys, the original 15 inch alloys were a bit small for my tastes.

If you have a look around the Civic Type R standard 0-60 figures usually range from 6.4 - 6.6, however my Civic has some engine word done to it so its a little quicker than standard. Anyway I really don't think a 6.8 second 0-60 time can be referred to as "Pedestrian", and why does shanving off less than one second change it to "Stunning"? At the end of the day they are both sh1t quick cars, there would barely be half a car length in it anyway...

I'm not saying I'd buy a replica - I would not spend that much money on a car, I'd just buy a better one int he first place. But I wouldn't slag off anyone that had one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Both sh*t cars, I'd have to agree with you on that.

Zascar wrote:
    If you have a look around the Civic Type R standard 0-60 figures usually range from 6.4 - 6.6, however my Civic has some engine word done to it so its a little quicker than standard. Anyway I really don't think a 6.8 second 0-60 time can be referred to as "Pedestrian", and why does shanving off less than one second change it to "Stunning"? At the end of the day they are both sh1t quick cars, there would barely be half a car length in it anyway...

I'm not saying I'd buy a replica - I would not spend that much money on a car, I'd just buy a better one int he first place. But I wouldn't slag off anyone that had one.

I actually really like the Civic Type R. It was a bit tongue in cheek when I said it was pedestrian :) I'd have one as a second car anyday in place of my current family car a volvo s40!

I actually really like the Civic Type R. It was a bit tongue in cheek when I said it was pedestrian :) I'd have one as a second car anyday in place of my current family car a volvo s40!

What year is your MR2 and any pics? My dad has a 93 G-Limited T-Bar

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_civic#Models_and_equipment

Accoring to Wikipedia your car does the 0 to 60mph in a fairly pedestrian 6.8 seconds whereas the MR2 GT Turbo(my car :P) does it in..... "Japanese MR2 GT model was able to accelerate from 0-100 km/h in a stunning 5.9 to 6.2 s"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_MR-2#MK_II

Back on topic: Those replicas are hideous, My eyes starting burning with pain when I saw the interior on that second "355 replica". The MR2 looks beautiful as it is. All I've changed on mine aesthetically is the alloys, the original 15 inch alloys were a bit small for my tastes.

Judging by these comments it sounds like you're the kinda person who does rev up at the lights and race around!

I'm afraid you've got me wrong there steve06. The MR2 is more of a project car/new mistress for me that I like to lavish lots of attention on but rarely actually drive :) My wife drives the Volvo S40 everyday for commuting to work and back and I use this for my everyday commute. The only racing I'll do will be around Mondello once I get all the mechanical bits and pieces sorted that need sorting first! Here's a picture of my MR2. Its a 1992 GTS Turbo 2nd revision. Have you got any pictures of yours Squirrel?

I'm afraid you've got me wrong there steve06. The MR2 is more of a project car/new mistress for me that I like to lavish lots of attention on but rarely actually drive :) My wife drives the Volvo S40 everyday for commuting to work and back and I use this for my everyday commute. The only racing I'll do will be around Mondello once I get all the mechanical bits and pieces sorted that need sorting first! Here's a picture of my MR2. Its a 1992 GTS Turbo 2nd revision. Have you got any pictures of yours Squirrel?

Is that an import? I'm guessing because of the side repeaters not being high on the wing. The wheels suit it, we changed the orange front lenses for all clear ones but no pictures of that yet. Pictures of my dad's here.

These 2 are probebly my favourite pictures of the car

Yes its an import from Japan. Heres a picture of the old alloys that were on the car when I got her in May.The new alloys I only fitted a few weeks ago. I got them through www.rochfordtyres.co.uk It was funny when I went to Halfords to compare prices, the staff member I spoke to in there went to his computer system and used that website to look up appropriate size alloys for my car and then went to the Halford system to get prices for me!! Which were needless to say way over the top compared to Rochfordtyres :) I did try to get an original Toyota set of 15" alloys like you have on yours. But the best I could find was just 2 on Ebay. So I ended up with these 17" wolfrace alloys that came balanced and fitted with Avon ZZ3 tyres. Inluding delivery total cost came to 1014 euro. I didn't do too bad me thinks.

Do you know any mechanics in the Dublin area who are good with MR2's? I've only had mine since the end of May and I've got a new clutch, timing belt and turbo waiting to get installed once I get a few prices from mechanics.

Yes its an import from Japan. Heres a picture of the old alloys that were on the car when I got her in May.The new alloys I only fitted a few weeks ago. I got them through www.rochfordtyres.co.uk It was funny when I went to Halfords to compare prices, the staff member I spoke to in there went to his computer system and used that website to look up appropriate size alloys for my car and then went to the Halford system to get prices for me!! Which were needless to say way over the top compared to Rochfordtyres :) I did try to get an original Toyota set of 15" alloys like you have on yours. But the best I could find was just 2 on Ebay. So I ended up with these 17" wolfrace alloys that came balanced and fitted with Avon ZZ3 tyres. Inluding delivery total cost came to 1014 euro. I didn't do too bad me thinks.

Do you know any mechanics in the Dublin area who are good with MR2's? I've only had mine since the end of May and I've got a new clutch, timing belt and turbo waiting to get installed once I get a few prices from mechanics.

Good thinking on the new alloys. We always use Murphy & Gunne on the Tallaght bypass (I think it's Murphy & Gunne) Kinda no expense spared, and when replacing the alternator (engine out job) they threw in a free service so pretty good service. There used to always be a red 94 Turbo up there whenever we sent ours in for a service, apparently it's there every few months for a new turbo to be fitted, the guy takes it to Mondello reguraly.

Advertisement