Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pot may indeed lead to heroin use, rat study shows

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

LadyJ wrote:

Not everyone who smokes dope wants to or is stupid enough to go out and get smacked off their tits.
    Yes, I like my lovely drug, however I will never use heroin.
    The rats were given heroin as a once off, the article proves nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭antSionnach

You're missing the point that peope can choose to accept the downsides of drugs. I dont like alcohol much - and its much more dangerous than cannibis.

Thats an opinion, its not a fact, the dangers of frequent abuse of cannabis and frequent alcohol abuse are cannot be measured and compared, and nobody can say with confidence which is more dangerous. Its like asking which is more dangerous, alcohol or cigarettes, though I presume you have some sort of theory on that too.

Plenty of "cures" with harmful side affects have been brought in. Why not weed.

Just as cocaine is used for therapeutics in ireland, I have absolutely no problem with cannabis being used for the same purpose. But your average punter isnt buying cannabis for a neurodegenerative illness he is suffering, hes doing it for the craic.

You say that people can choose to accept the downsides, then why not legalise acid, coke, ecstasy? Why not just make every drug freely available. I have friends who deal in one or more of these drugs, theyre all fine, bright, intelligent people. Do you advocate the legalisation of all drugs in that case?

People give Ritalin to kids with ADD- that has a lot more side affects than an adult smoking dope.

Lithium use is questioned though personally I think it is suitable for some cases.

The difference is, Ritalin isnt legal for people who are not prescribed it, neither are the Lithium formulations for MDD etc.

Lithium use is questioned? By whom? Renegade 'holistic' doctors and the equivalent of a tabloid health website Id suppose. Lithium has very minor side effects, much less minor than cannabis to begin with. Lithium is much safer than antipsychotics which are equally effective as it.
    The rats were given heroin as a once off, the article proves nothing.

Im starting to wonder if everyone has been reading this article. Tar it proves that cannabis aggrevates heroin addictions in living organisms. cannabis exposed rats were the subject of the study and rats not expose to cannabis were the control. The latter showed a less severe heroin addiction.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Im starting to wonder if everyone has been reading this article. Tar it proves that cannabis aggrevates heroin addictions in living organisms. cannabis exposed rats were the subject of the study and rats not expose to cannabis were the control. The latter showed a less severe heroin addiction.
    Everyone has read the article and concluded the same thing. For People who take heroin it's irrelevant if cannabis is illegal or not. They all will already have used it anyway. So the link this article makes between the two drugs in a human context is moot.

The question as to the dangers of cannabis, is a seperate, much longer, and more heated thread.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thanks for saving me writing a long reply The Atheist.

Antsionnach, my reading skills are up to par, the title of the article is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭antSionnach

sorry for the confusion, when you said that the article proved nothing i somehow thought you meant that the article proved nothing.

Anyway I agree, the title is misleading.

• Advertisement

It proves nothing in relation to what it claims to prove from the title.
    It is to be inferred from my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Thats an opinion, its not a fact, the dangers of frequent abuse of cannabis and frequent alcohol abuse are cannot be measured and compared, and nobody can say with confidence which is more dangerous. Its like asking which is more dangerous, alcohol or cigarettes, though I presume you have some sort of theory on that too.

I know plenty of people who've had their lives ruined by alchohol but none by cannibis. Would you rather see your son as a pothead or an alchihilic

[/QUOTE]Just as cocaine is used for therapeutics in ireland, I have absolutely no problem with cannabis being used for the same purpose. But your average punter isnt buying cannabis for a neurodegenerative illness he is suffering, hes doing it for the craic.[/QUOTE]

So what? is he harming you?
    You say that people can choose to accept the downsides, then why not legalise acid, coke, ecstasy? Why not just make every drug freely available. I have friends who deal in one or more of these drugs, theyre all fine, bright, intelligent people. Do you advocate the legalisation of all drugs in that case?

Typical boards idiot jumping to extremes to make a point.

Coke - no
    Ecstasy\LSD - don't really know enough about them. Probably make more sense than having alchohol legal. If you'd said mushrooms I would have said yes.

The difference is, Ritalin isnt legal for people who are not prescribed it, neither are the Lithium formulations for MDD etc.

Lithium use is questioned? By whom? Renegade 'holistic' doctors and the equivalent of a tabloid health website Id suppose. Lithium has very minor side effects, much less minor than cannabis to begin with. Lithium is much safer than antipsychotics which are equally effective as it.

People I know personally who've used it & their friends & relatives
    It has plenty of side effects & it's very difficult to get off it - but as I said I don't disagree with it's use.

I was talking about people who it is prescribed legally to - a lot of the cases I've seen the kids are better off without it- but still it's prescribed because it doesn't have a stigma.

I think what people are trying to say to you is that if we're goign to fu*ck ourselves up on alchohol\legal stuff why can't we have the right to choose which drugs we prefer ourselves?
    Tar it proves that cannabis aggrevates heroin addictions in living organisms. cannabis exposed rats were the subject of the study and rats not expose to cannabis were the control. The latter showed a less severe heroin addiction.

Why won't you see that this means nothing to the vast majority of cannibis smokers who don't ever try heroin?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement