Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Mars Volta - Amputechture

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Nah, It's true. People always dismiss stuff as **** when they think it's too complicated, this is especially true of mediocre musicians. I'm sure the foo fighters have a new album coming out so it's ok! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I'm not fond of these guys at all. They were good live when I saw them at Witnness a while back but their albums just aren't enjoyable to listen to. Overcompensate with all this pretencious... ****.

At the Drive-In were simple, and it worked much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Giblet wrote:
    Nah, It's true. People always dismiss stuff as **** when they think it's too complicated, this is especially true of mediocre musicians.

But I never said it was complicated, 'cos it's not; it's just ****.

I'm not a musician, but I know rubbish when I hears it.

It's not just ****, that's just a word thrown around by people who don't really understand what's going on. "Oh it's really fast drums and some atonal stuff over a weird time sig, **** tbh"

You can say "I don't like it" but this whole "pfft ****" thing makes you look stupid.

I've never actually heard anyone call a band "****" in general, I'd only heard it on this website. Thought it quite apt.

Thanks for clearing up what I'm allowed say about bands though.

• Advertisement

As long as you continue to tell everyone what's rubbish and **** ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

im with ya on this giblet. fools never learn. whats this about jon leaving? did u hear that on the comatorium? i think its a vicious rumour..

edit: i just read about it. this is the worst day ever :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

They're ****. That's my opinion. It's not complicated, it's not clever, it doesn't sound any good or interesting, they're making music for themselves and not for others to enjoy listening to, i.e. ****. And you're all perverts for listening in :p

Hey I enjoy it so you're wrong at least on one point ;)

And they make it for themselves? Jesus, that's hardly surprising now is it?

jeez john2, and youre trying to get an experimental forum going?? kinda ironic.

jon dont leave TMV, i love you!!!!! :(:(:(

• Advertisement

Any discussion of TMV in an experimental music forum should immediately warrant a ban. Fact.

guess ill be banned so...
    screw the forum, TMV are great enough to have their own forum!

ignorance seems to be bliss to a lot of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭eddyc

Yeah I used to be an infidel , I thought the mars volta were 'interesting' but never anything to write home about, I was ,and suppose still am a major fan of tool, which for me is the pinnacle of prog rock so far, after giving 'francis the mute' a few listens, basically because I had nothing else to listen to at the time, I was well and truelly amazed, this band do grow on you, and for that reason I believe a lot of people wont get into them, simply becouse you kind of have to invest a bit of time to, Its well worth it, I'd recomment anyone that thinks this band are '****' to put on 'cynus vismund cygnus' and really listen to it a few times, its fabulous.
    The new album is amazing, definately better than 10,000 days, which I am actually kinda sad to say

Tool aren't prog either (nor are they ****, they're more like mutual masturbation :D).

TMV aren't experimental, they have no place on an experimental forum. I'm going to stop now, I'm dragging this off topic. BAD MOD! BAD, BAD MOD!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

eddyc wrote:
    .....ey should cut all the crap out of francis the mute and made it an e.p.
    But they do have moments of true genius.

that's exactly how i've always felt about it.

Sorry for the cross forum quoting:
    if TMV aren't experimental, then who on earth is??

The Mars Volta are just a rock group that pilfer bits of experimental music in a rock/pop format. That in itself isn't experimental. It's like calling Tool or Radiohead experimental just because they're a little weirder than the average rock band.

Experimental music is made by people like John Cage, Alvin Lucier, Franciso López, Tod Dockstader, Mars, Chris Watson, The Hafler Trio, Nurse With Wound, Oren Ambarchi, Merzbow, COH, Luc Ferrari, Keiji Haino, Ryoji Ikeda, Einstuerzende Neubauten and Phill Niblock. Compare any of them to The Mars Volta and The Mars Volta look more like pop.

It's not ignorance that makes me think that The Mars Volta are nothing special, it's experience and taste. You're a big Mars Volta fan judging from your sig so I know nothing I say will convince you that I don't have blinkered view of music and that you are right, tastes differ after all, but I'd appreciate it if you didn't come waltzing into that thread in the Forums forum and put something unrelated down just because I don't agree with you about the Mars Volta.

Now, can we get back to discussing Ampuctechture?

John2 wrote:
    It's not ignorance that makes me think that The Mars Volta are nothing special, it's experience and taste. You're a big Mars Volta fan judging from your sig so I know nothing I say will convince you that I don't have blinkered view of music and that you are right, tastes differ after all, but I'd appreciate it if you didn't come waltzing into that thread in the Forums forum and put something unrelated down just because I don't agree with you about the Mars Volta.

Now, can we get back to discussing Ampuctechture?

I hope you don't mean I don't possess either experience or taste :) If I can pick up a guitar and play along with a band they aren't exactly difficult so when it comes to the Mars Volta, I know the whole back catalogue. There is a certain intensity from the band I like which I haven't heard from a lot of other bands.
    I just hate the world "****". It's the most dismissive non-opinion **** people can say.

The new album should be great, I wonder what John Frusciante will sound like. He's a great guitarist outside of the chains of RHCP. I hope people will have a lot more respect for him when they hear it.

No Giblet, you've earned my respect. I just hate the "ignorance" card like you hate the "****" card. We can all still be friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kaiser_Sma

Does anybody like Francis the Mute?! It's my favorite by far. Especially with the bonus track of the album name added. Deloused was still just an uneasy intermediary between at the drive in and the mars volta which they became in francis.

They take some getting used too (more than any other band i know) but it's well worth it. Francis has to be listend to by album not individually, other wise after the first track you're gonna lose the plot (i don't mean the actual lyrics they are nearly unintelligable). In my top 5 now doubht. Deep sixes anything that tool ever made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kaiser_Sma

guess ill be banned so...
    screw the forum, TMV are great enough to have their own forum!

damn straight!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Goebels

Kaiser_Sma wrote:
    Does anybody like Francis the Mute?! It's my favorite by far. Especially with the bonus track of the album name added. Deloused was still just an uneasy intermediary between at the drive in and the mars volta which they became in francis.

They take some getting used too (more than any other band i know) but it's well worth it. Francis has to be listend to by album not individually, other wise after the first track you're gonna lose the plot (i don't mean the actual lyrics they are nearly unintelligable). In my top 5 now doubht. Deep sixes anything that tool ever made.
    Nah, de loused was defintely the better album.. that's their pinnacle album that will never possibly be topped.

as for amputechture, it's better than francis but not as good as de loused. it's that simple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

John Cage, Alvin Lucier, Franciso López, Tod Dockstader, Mars, Chris Watson, The Hafler Trio, Nurse With Wound, Oren Ambarchi, Merzbow, COH, Luc Ferrari, Keiji Haino, Ryoji Ikeda, Einstuerzende Neubauten and Phill Niblock

All the party favourites! :D

Advertisement