Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Mars Volta - Amputechture

Options
  • 10-07-2006 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭

Dunno if I'm allowed to talk about it until it's officially released, but I just "aquired" it and am in the process of listening to it now. Now I'm halfway through the second track, Tetragrammaton(16:43) and this is sounding much more progressive than Deloused or Frances, it's reminding me of Yes a bit. There's a lot of random and sudden tempo and atmospheric changes which is a bit weird, but hey, the great thing about this band is the weirdness. Sounds like it'll be a big grower.

Anyway, those are just my initial thoughts, I'm now at 12:51 on Tetragrammaton, it's actually sounding really Yes-like now....

Any other thoughts? I presume quite a lot of fans will have it by now(I'm still buying it the second it comes out though).

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

new album already? ye gods

i wish i still cared.. I really do.. but at least it will probably be released and easily available by the time I do bother to check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

best album ever. i'm really in love with it.

viscera eyes is up on http://www.myspace.com/themarsvolta absolutely legend track

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭eddyc

Wow this album is the shi*!!!!! Really likin that Day of the Baphomets track, and the last flamenco style track, !!!!Quality!!!! The Mars Volta in my opinion are one of a handful of bands that are coming out with new rock music, they truelly push the envelope.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

best album ever. i'm really in love with it.

viscera eyes is up on http://www.myspace.com/themarsvolta absolutely legend track

Ah man, that track is horrible. Starts good but doesnt go anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭randomname

When is the official release date for the album?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

It's an improvement on Frances, imho anyways, but I think that Deloused pisses all over it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

They were sh*te when they started, and they're still sh*te now.

As someone so eloquently put it on this forum at some time long, long ago; "**** for the sake of being ****."

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Fùcking brilliant album, still no deloused though,
    Official release date is August 22nd so this thread will be closed pretty soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭eddyc

PiE wrote:
    They were sh*te when they started, and they're still sh*te now.

As someone so eloquently put it on this forum at some time long, long ago; "**** for the sake of being ****."

Its true they have a lot of **** in they're live shows and if they should cut all the crap out of francis the mute and made it an e.p.
    But they do have moments of true genius.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

heh, that's a good description.. but I've heard the same said of dEUS and I love them.. and I'm a fan of the occasional **** myself.. so maybe **** isn't all that bad.

**** on gentlmen, **** on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I do believe it was my phrase and I agree, **** is fine but it's something you do on your own ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Em... can someone please define what "****" means in this context? As in the lyrics are too complex, the songs are too grandoise etc. ?

**** being "I can play in more timings, scales and styles than you can." Listening to them, it sounds like they try to make things as complex as possible leading to the songs suffering as a result. I can handle complex music but all good complex music tends to come naturally and The Mars Volta sound very, very forced. Not all **** is bad **** but this **** is annoying **** and its dull ****, in summary it's **** ****. It's like all those **** prog rock bands that everyone has (rightly) forgotten about.

I hope you don't mean ALL prog rock when you say that...

I know what you're getting at, but where do you draw the line between "****" and an interesting, technically good piece of music, I mean is much of classical music "****"?

The Mars Volta don't strike me as being "****", I mean most of their songs revolve around catchy hooks(Inertiatic Esp - "Now I'm Lost", Roulette Dares - "Exoskelatal junction at the railroad delayed", Cygnus... Vismund Cygnus - "Who do you trust" etc.), so it's not like they're deliberately trying to be unaccessable. They have some instrumental sections that go on for a while in some songs but I enjoy them, singing isn't really massively important to me(Although I love singers who have a high range like Robert Plant, Geddy Lee, Shannon Hoon, Axl Rose etc. and hence love Cedric's voice) and I enjoy the creative guitar, keyboard and drum work. On Frances there is a bit of "****" I guess if you count all the pointless noise, but Deloused doesn't have much of this and is a great album, I find the variety on the tracks interesting rather than annoying and I can't see how it's forced. TMV do have some simple songs(The Widow, Televators(one of their best), Inertiatic Esp etc.).

I mean if you want simple, straight to the point music then listen to punk. If you want complex, experimental music with crypic lyrics that resembles classical music in terms of movements and long songs listen to prog rock. I myself listen to both depending on my mood.

meh...

(I think I do this "justifying the things I like" thing too much...)

JC 2K3 wrote:
    (I think I do this "justifying the things I like" thing too much...)

Indeed.

They're still sh*te though.

JC 2K3 wrote:
    I hope you don't mean ALL prog rock when you say that...

No just the really awful ones like Webb and Greenslade.
    I know what you're getting at, but where do you draw the line between "****" and an interesting, technically good piece of music, I mean is much of classical music "****"?

Some of it is but I don't think all technically good music is ****, I love a lot of very techinical music. It's just that some bands may have loads of technical talent but little in the way of utilising it in an interesting or original way. For me, The Mars Volta fall into this category.
    I mean if you want simple, straight to the point music then listen to punk. If you want complex, experimental music with crypic lyrics that resembles classical music in terms of movements and long songs listen to prog rock. I myself listen to both depending on my mood.

Of course, variety is the spice of life :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

To be honest with you I can't detect any difference between the Mars Volta and this guy http://xyzwebdesign.com/sanbass/video.html

Post of the day there Magpie!

John2 wrote:
    I can handle complex music but all good complex music tends to come naturally and The Mars Volta sound very, very forced.

sorry mate i have to disagree with you. i think theyre the most natural, most free type of prog thats out there. if you compare them to another prog style band thats out now, someone like tool, where their timings are as complex as tmv, but they have a metronome like precision, which to me sounds more forced.

Nah, I'd take Tool any day :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Haven't gotten my mitts on this yet. I liked Deloused and dislike Francis. On Deloused I think they had good hooks and some good instrumentals, and only the occasional annoying bit (that one otherwise nice song has a sizeable instrument section most of which is just swoopy synth noises), but on Francis they just seemed all over the place to me, and nothing on it grabbed me. Hopefully Amputechture will be good.

Crucifix wrote:
    Haven't gotten my mitts on this yet. I liked Deloused and dislike Francis. On Deloused I think they had good hooks and some good instrumentals, and only the occasional annoying bit (that one otherwise nice song has a sizeable instrument section most of which is just swoopy synth noises), but on Francis they just seemed all over the place to me, and nothing on it grabbed me. Hopefully Amputechture will be good.

Cygnus... Vismud Cygnus was the only thing that really stood out for me on Frances, what a fúcking song.... Although I skip the last 3/4 minutes always, the noise at the end is annoying and totally unnecessary.

Deloused, however, is brilliant.

I've been listening to Piper at the Gates of Dawn a lot since Syd died and haven't had a chance to listen to Amputechture properly yet... I think I've payed my tribute now though, so Amputechture tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

have they dropped the silly lyrics yet ?

interesting band i dunno if im capable of taking a full album though

crybaby wrote:
    have they dropped the silly lyrics yet ?

I love the lyrics, there's always something to be deciphered :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

I look forward to the album. Love deloused, didn't really think much of Frances though

EDIT: I just listened to Viscera eyes and it's a good track! Which is a good sign because i never really like most music when i first hear it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

People who call it **** aren't listening properly, or more likely, refuse to listen properly. The music isn't that complicated.

right on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Crucifix wrote:

Put it this way, if you liked Deloused and didn't like Frances, then maybe the new album isn't for you. IMO, it is far more leftfield than Frances the Mute. I did prefer Frances the Mute though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I think Jon has left the band, they are touring with a new drummer.

• Advertisement

Giblet wrote:
    People who call it **** aren't listening properly, or more likely, refuse to listen properly.

Keep telling yourself that if it helps.

I'm sure Orson fans think the same thing.

Advertisement