Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Dress Code

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Nothing to do with image old boy..... nothing whatsoever.

Football gear is for playing football.

tennis gear is for playing tennis

Horseriding gear is for riding horses....

Golf gear is for playing golf.

What you chaps can't get your heads around is that somebody somewhere gives some respect to rules and is not afraid to uphold and enforce them...

my advice to you and your ilk is that if the normal common sense customs of golf clubs annoy and irk you......

Go play something else

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

delboy159 wrote:
    BOTTOM LINE - Seeing as I've given a real world alternative - Where would most posters prefer to be a member of? Up tight and strict (typical club) or relaxed and rough (place I've described)?

I'm guessing most people would opt for the typical club, as it has a better image....
    How can you call it uptight and strict?
    All they are doing is following their own rules?!
    Its no different than removing stones from bunkers, each club has their own view on it.

I prefer to play in a club that expects high standards from its members as it also delivers high standards to its members.
    If you are happy to go out in your celtic jersey for a game of golf then feel free, but you wont be playing on any of the courses that I play at.
    Sure, if I go for a game of pitch and putt in the local council course I wont dress up, but to be honest I wont look like a knacker either.
    Its about respect, respect for the club and for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

:D Man I thought the club I play at here up tight for getting thick with me for bringing the caddie up on the green..

We can wear whatever we like it's very relaxed but more or less exclusively for the towns people. Nearly everyone in town gives golf a go because they don't have to worrie about shelling out fortunes on equipment and you'll always see teens out playing every day. I'd say the town is bound to produce a few pros soon, one of the young lads consistantly beats the older players but can never recieve prises as he's too young.

I saw some Dublin locations on the posts, you've no excuses then as far as I'm conserned **** the stuck up runts and go to a different club and let everyone who asks know what you think about the old one. At the end of the day money talks. Going to a stuck up club and then complaining it's full of stuck up club members is a bit stupid really.

ScumLord wrote:
    :D Man I thought the club I play at here up tight for getting thick with me for bringing the caddie up on the green..
    tells me all I need to know tbh
    :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭delboy159

Relax now lads - I wasn't actually attempting to disagree or agree with the logic of dress code. I have played on courses with very high standards - and had no issue with dressing as they required. I see it as a good manners thing to have the courtesy to dress as a person/club etc. requires you to.

I was just throwing it up there for discussion - would you be put off by a course with no real dress code?

By the way FlutterinBantam I like the way you used "old boy" and "chaps" as words in your post - put a nice tone to the response, very witty. I haven't been called an "ilk" since I was rolling around in a mucky field playing GAA U-12....

I know what you mean though, if you don't like the dress code then go away from the game... But my post described a guy who is playing well into single figures who you classify as an "ilk" that sould leave the game, just because he may not dress properly.... Anyway - the dress code isn't what would drive me away from the game, it's my inability to break 90 thats actually wrecking my head...... Slacks and a proper shirt are the least of my worries.....

To be honest - I have no issue dressing properly, as I stated above it's a common manners thing from my perspective. I don't see it is a massively necessary thing for the game either, it's just an image thing...

You mentioned other sports having their own gear which is true - but much of that links to team elements (uniforms) not image of the club, also, say in athletics, the only real dress code is no white shorts for steeplechase runners (water jumps can leave see through issues.....) Very few other sports have dress codes for the clubhouse either....

To be honest I'm not up to speed on the tennis gear or horse riding stuff (assumed the horse gear was necessary - hard wearing, weather proof, anti chafing??? etc...)

• Advertisement

delboy159 wrote:
    By the way FlutterinBantam I like the way you used "old boy" and "chaps" as words in your post - put a nice tone to the response, very witty. I haven't been called an "ilk" since I was rolling around in a mucky field playing GAA U-12....
    ...)

Glad the tenor of my carefully chosen words wasn't lost on you;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

Well I guess the way you can summarise my feelings on the dress code issue as follows. During the winter, my club runs a competition called the 'winter league', and competitors are without a doubt the most down to earth die hard golfers going. 90% of competitors will be out playing as long as the course is open (any day with no frost!). These people are in the golf club to play golf, not to be seen to be out there. They will repair their divots and pitchmarks, as well as other peoples and not even think about it.

On the other hand, the kind of tossers that come across with the same attitude as FB expressed (nothing personal old chap), who will be dressed up to the nines, and will have their blazer, shirt and tie on, will be nowhere to be seen on those cold, wet, windy winter days. Once the good weather comes, these guys appear out of the woodwork. They can't hit the ball out of their way, attitude out their arses, and in general get laughed at by 95% of the club membership. They epitimise the person who joins a golf club to be able to boast about being a member of it, thinking they are somehow above other mortals. You'll find them in absolutely every club in the country too, the only thing that varies is the percentage of them in the membership list. I suppose they have to feel important somehow, and making up a dress code and 'enforcing it' is the way these people feel like they are contributing something to the club, and making sure the club's "image" is "repectable" so other mere mortals will swoon in envy when they announce they are a member.

Which is more important? The golf or being seen on the golf course? For me personally it's the game itself. Everything else is irrelevant. :p

oh crap, my ignore didnt work, I actually read that crap above.

Talk about ignorant.
    What are you 12?

GreeBo wrote:
    oh crap, my ignore didnt work, I actually read that crap above.

Talk about ignorant.
    What are you 12?

So you can't even debate the point, you have to resort to personal insults. Sad.

css wrote:
    Dozy old coots
    css wrote:
    stuck up auld gits
    css wrote:
    self-righteousness
    css wrote:
    that the majority of people that are interested in this formality, can't hit it out of their way
    css wrote:
    tossers
    css wrote:
    can't hit the ball out of their way, attitude out their arses, and in general get laughed at by 95% of the club membership.

FTW.

• Advertisement

css wrote:
    So you can't even debate the point, you have to resort to personal insults. Sad.

:eek: Accusing someone of personal insults..... after flaking the feathers off The Bantam in a previous post!!!!!

BBL Bantams Bottom Line.... I play golf all year round.... 6.5 handicap.... I play to enjoy myself..... not for show/attitude/networking/business.

The reason I mention a "Private members" club is, that there,the members control their own destiny and not some faceless businessman.

I dress normally for a game of golf,appropriate for the game, as most people do.

I am quite happy with the dress code for the club as are 99% of the members.

If i want to associate with the football jersey/track suited, hoodie brigade..well then I can always go to a betting shop or pool hall or social welfare centre on a Monday....... but I don't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

lads whatever your opinions keep the insults out of it, btw i've noticed a few posts with the theme that anyone who adheres to the dress code can't play golf, stupid argument lads and as logical a reply as farting, keep to the facts and stop romancing yourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Poker & Pints

I love the dress code....the birds love it....I pull twice as much when I get garbed up in the golf outfit. And most of the time they are the hot, rich birds too. Well worth the trouble.

Only thing I don't like is the collared shirt thing....in the winter/cold I like my longsleeved shirts with the half turtle neck...they look good and keep me warm....Most clubs have no problem with this type of shirt anymore...but some do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Let's all be civil now.

I've said my bit, you know what I mean. I will not say it again.

The type of person I was referring to was the kind of guy who hangs around golf clubs in his blazer, shirt and tie, on a hot summers day, with no other reason that to feel important. If you can't spot these guys, well that's your problem. At no time did i say anyone who adheres to dress codes can't play golf. Good to see you getting yer feathers ruffled anyhow, that means you can relate to what I've said. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

css wrote:
    If you can't spot these guys, well that's your problem.
    from a hundred paces, they were in the clubhouse in the k club last weekend, twice a marshall had to go over from the 18th green and ask the clubhouse to quiten down , they could be heard on the course,
    with the tournament still on, what were they doing in the bar? there was class golf happening 25 yards away.:mad:
    just there to be there, social outing for them rather than sporting.

css wrote:
    At no time did i say anyone who adheres to dress codes can't play golf.

errr?
    css wrote:
    that the majority of people that are interested in this formality, can't hit it out of their way

GreeBo wrote:
    errr?

There's a world of difference between being 'interested' in formality, and adhering to the rules. At least in my book, but what would I know being ignorant. :rolleyes:

css wrote:
    I've said my bit, you know what I mean. I will not say it again.

The type of person I was referring to was the kind of guy who hangs around golf clubs in his blazer, shirt and tie, on a hot summers day, with no other reason that to feel important. If you can't spot these guys, well that's your problem. At no time did i say anyone who adheres to dress codes can't play golf. Good to see you getting yer feathers ruffled anyhow, that means you can relate to what I've said. ;)

With ref to the tie and blazer brigade..... I don't own a blazer and of course most clubs,golf or otherwise has what we lovingly call the blazer brigade.

However,a lot of those guys do a lot of work for the club,and without a certain amount of "blazeration", admin costs/running competitions/general day to day activities vital to the smooth running of the club could not be done.
    With regard to relating to what you said...well my pen picture is of a guy who is locked in a a little world of me me me without stopping to think of the bigger picture...a typical teenage outlook if i may be so bold to say so:p :p:p

With regard to relating to what you said...well my pen picture is of a guy who is locked in a a little world of me me me without stopping to think of the bigger picture...a typical teenage outlook if i may be so bold to say so:p :p:p

I've been called worse. :p

Any other childish names you'd to call me? Ignorant, and now a teenager.

I'd like to know what the 'big picture' you refer to is.. Everyone going around playing golf in monkey suits? For respectability like? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

The "bigger picture" is that golf has been around a lot longer than you or I.
    The reason I can play golf where I do is that some "dozy old coot" to quote you ,had the drive and foresight to get people together years ago and set the thing up.... and keep it going...the kind of person you would probably refer to an an "old fart" .
    Well lemme tell ya something without those kind of people years ago you or I maybe couldnt play golf.... I acknowledge and appreciate that and accept the traditions that go along with it.

You seem to depreciate all that and want to drag golf down to the level of the Circus Tavern in Purfleet.

Can;t say I ever saw anyone playing golf in monkey suits now mind ya:rolleyes:

When are the Junior Cert results out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭extopia

There is no Dress Code in the rules of golf.

A private club can implement any rules it wants. It's a seperate issue.

I'm not a very good golfer but since I took up the game I've always worn "respectable" attire on the course and in the clubhouse. Why not? It's not hard to wear a collar and leave the jeans at home.

By the way, I've never seen a pro play in a collarless shirt. AFAIK a polo or turtle neck constitutes a collar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

extopia wrote:
    There is no Dress Code in the rules of golf.

A private club can implement any rules it wants. It's a seperate issue.

I'm not a very good golfer but since I took up the game I've always worn "respectable" attire on the course and in the clubhouse. Why not? It's not hard to wear a collar and leave the jeans at home.

By the way, I've never seen a pro play in a collarless shirt. AFAIK a polo or turtle neck constitutes a collar.

Thats what it's all about tho, isn't it? CSS it seems to me that you don't have an issue with the concept of some rules being in place that determine dress code, you have an issue with the specifics of the rules. In other words, you seem to accept that there should be a rule that stops people playing in, say, speedos, but you think they should be allowed play in collarless shirts. As far as I can see, there is nothing to stop you running for the position that allows you to change the rules? If enough people agree with you, you'll get it. But then of course, there are probably plenty of other obligations you'll have to fulfill, which you may not want to. Thats a case of put up and shut up I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

i recently bout some lovely izod round neck t-shirts.

My club were pretty cool about it. I didnt get given out to or anything.

But there is a line, people wearing football jersey or jeans jsut aint on, im not an oldie, im 18, but i think it looks ****. The game requires smart dress like, and i hope it stays the way it is, not like its uncomfortable.

Advertisement