Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Dress Code

Options
  • 06-07-2006 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭

I was playing golf last week and one person in my fourball was cautioned on the fact he was wearing a collarless shirt.

What gives? Why is a non-collared shirt such a bad thing. Look at Tiger Woods and some of the pros, I sometime see them without collars on their shirts and I find this very hypocritical

Does anyone know why this is a problem.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

Dozy old coots running the show maybe? The one that really gets me though, is the 'you must wear a blazer and tie in the restaurant sir'.. f*ck that sh!t..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

The old geasers running these places still think its 1960 :rolleyes: .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

swingking wrote:
    I was playing golf last week and one person in my fourball was cautioned on the fact he was wearing a collarless shirt.

What gives? Why is a non-collared shirt such a bad thing. Look at Tiger Woods and some of the pros, I sometime see them without collars on their shirts and I find this very hypocritical

Does anyone know why this is a problem.
    if the rules state that he has to have a collared shirt then he has to have one, end of discussion, if tiger and co are getting away with it then the usga need to improve their standards it's not your golf club being hypocritical its usga being lazy, the european tour had no problem warning poulter about his arsenal top. but your friends can't break the dress code just cause tiger did.

ps collared shirts are in the rules of most clubs to ensure peole don't try and wear sports jerseys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

if the rules state that he has to have a collared shirt then he has to have one, end of discussion, if tiger and co are getting away with it then the usga need to improve their standards it's not your golf club being hypocritical its usga being lazy, the european tour had no problem warning poulter about his arsenal top. but your friends can't break the dress code just cause tiger did.

ps collared shirts are in the rules of most clubs to ensure peole don't try and wear sports jerseys.

Why not make it "No Sports Jerseys" then? You can wear a collareless shirt and still look decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭utopian

Amusing to have a "sport" (not a game!) that forbids people from wearing "sports jerseys".

I remember all this crap from my brief days as a juvenile. Golf is a good game. Pity about all the c**ts involved.

• Advertisement

well if you're asking me personally , then the reason i haven't done this is i don't make the rules, just a heads up there.
    but seriously there is no point in complaining that the rules are being upheld and thats hypocricy, because it's not, you might not like the rule but enforcing that isn't hypocicy, it's good governance, as is stated your anger seems to be misplaced at the fact that someone else got away with it, it's not a great rule but it's a rule. you know that going out, 99% of all clubs have their dress code rules at some point around the place before the first tee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Every other piece of etiquite is there because it affects other people. For example: rake your bunkers. Why? because a golf ball could go ito an unraked bunker and the player could suffer.

Another example is courtesy to other players; it could affect the way they play golf.

How does wearing a non-collared shirt affect the way people play golf.

It is sad that ancient non-sensical rules exist in todays game.

I understand rules are there but they should make sense

swingking wrote:
    How does wearing a non-collared shirt affect the way people play golf.

It is sad that ancient non-sensical rules exist in todays game.

I understand rules are there but they should make sense
    well know that is a very valid complaint, and as much as it seems like i might not sympathise , i do, i'm not mad on those rules, and you're right, a collared shirt doesn't effect anyone and especially if it's a neat shirt then whats the harm really? especially when there was probably guys on the course hitting balls at people and talking loudly or answering phones and your friend was only wearing a shirt,(hardly seems like a comparable infringement)

was it your club, cause i'd actually suggest making a suggestion to the committee that collarless golf shirts be allowed on the course under the suggestion that more and more companies are producing them, i just did a quick search and found ping nike and callaway colarless shirts.
    i have to be honest i reacted very quickly without even seeing what your friend was wearing just because i'm tired of seeing people sneak out in celtic jerseys :o
    i reckon you should put forward the motion, every time i disagree with a local rule i seek out whether it can be changed, if it can i make the motion, well for the stupid rules like we are talking about, obvioulsy not the rules of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

The reason the collared rule is there is that without it one would have tattooed skummers togged out like Johnny Adair on the golf course,and I for one would prefer not to associate with those people...as do most other golfers ....let them populate the Boookie shops,football terraces,pool halls... but FFS keep them off the fairways.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Iceman78

The reason the collared rule is there is that without it one would have tattooed skummers togged out like Johnny Adair on the golf course,and I for one would prefer not to associate with those people...as do most other golfers ....let them populate the Boookie shops,football terraces,pool halls... but FFS keep them off the fairways.

That is a completely ridiculous comment. You are obviously an old school golfer who does not keep up with the times. As has been mentioned above, a number of top manufacturers now make collarless golf shirts so why should we not be allowed to wear these on the course.

You have some crazy ideas and are obviously way off the mark with your comments.

• Advertisement

Maybe he's a windup merchant?

I can appreciate that a club would want a certain respectability of dress on the course, i dont have a problem with that. Banning collarless shirts though is a bit extreme imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Played in craddockstown the other day, there was a guy a couple of holes back playing in a pair of jeans and a tee-shirt!!
    Looked wrong.

There's your answer!!!!

One thing always puzzles me on Boards.... When you speak it as it is ,you get accused of being a "wind up" merchant.

The reason there are rules is to set some kind of standards which are agreed by the people involved.... you will ALWAYS get people who want to do their own thing and f**k everybody else.

You will find that MOST people who are members of golf clubs are in agreement with the rules discussed above, for the reasons I have outlined.

Thats it.... facts ..facts...facts

I don't get the banning jeans thing though. A lot of jeans these days cost more than regular trousers, and they look far from scummy. Carlow had to repeal their ban on jeans in the clubhouse recently, but it still stands for the course. :confused:

I can understand banning vests/jerseys/etc. It's a game of golf, not a f*ckin fashion show..

You are still not getting the point......let me try to spell it out...

By your criteria its ok to turn up in slit jeans ..jeans with holes... cut offs... to play golf on a private members course.... is that what you are saying?

Whats wrong with it? By definition, you could also turn up in slit trousers, kneeless trousers, etc.. If you are a member and look respectable then what is the problem? Be definition I could go out in a long sleeved navy T-shirt type top, which is quite comfortable and respectable looking, and yet because it has no collar, it is frowned upon?

I'm saying banning this type of clothing or that type is not the way to go. As long as someone looks respectable whats the problem?

PS: I don't know what you are focusing so much on your 'private member', if it's so private why would green fee's be allowed? I'm a member of a course and have been since I could walk, but I don't feel the need to tell the world :rolleyes:

Aha ..there ya go....." look respectable.".... now we are getting to the nub of things.Who decides what is "respectable"?

So now we have to have a "look respectable" judge on the first tee from 0700-to 2300.... ok... cost.....uhmmmm.... 30 35k pa..... hmmm most golf golf clubs would just ban jeans and collarless stuff and etc.... much easier and cleaner....

Which of course is the real reason why jeans and collarless shirts are banned.... :D:D

No need for anyone, there's enough stuck up auld gits around most courses to take care of that. Hell, you're fitting right into that category from the tone of your posts, such self-righteousness does not need reward, the pedestal is enough in itself. :rolleyes:

I fail to see how a properly dressed person in jeans doesn't look respectable, so we're back to my original point about them. Jeans used to be a cheap and cheerful way of dressing, not anymore in a lot of cases, like it or not.

css wrote:
    No need for anyone, there's enough stuck up auld gits around most courses to take care of that. Hell, you're fitting right into that category from the tone of your posts, such self-righteousness does not need reward, the pedestal is enough in itself. :rolleyes:

I fail to see how a properly dressed person in jeans doesn't look respectable, so we're back to my original point about them. Jeans used to be a cheap and cheerful way of dressing, not anymore in a lot of cases, like it or not.

shucks... I feel a lot of vitriol coming my way....I'm so upset;)

Who decides if a person is "properly dressed"?????
    Of course a "properly dressed" person in jeans looks respectable....But....now listen to this.... whose definition of "properly dressed" and "respectable", are we going to go by says, the Club captain?.. Fcuk me says the Seccy man thats a tough one... Right says the Capt... make it clean... Just ban jeans and collarless shirts ..track suits.... then theres no arguments ..no hassle,no
    esoteric arguments

And thats why its done:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Do you have the same issues with Wimbledon, Cricket, Badminton?

Its a rule designed to keep the game respectable and to try and keep up the standards that the game has evolved to be played in.
    If you cant abide by these rules then maybe you should go play pitch 'n putt somewhere?

The shirts that Tiger et al wear have near turtle-neck collars.
    They are raised and are not your average joes round neck.

Where would you draw the line?
    Anyone can wear what they want?

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote:
    Do you have the same issues with Wimbledon, Cricket, Badminton?

Its a rule designed to keep the game respectable and to try and keep up the standards that the game has evolved to be played in.
    If you cant abide by these rules then maybe you should go play pitch 'n putt somewhere?

The shirts that Tiger et al wear have near turtle-neck collars.
    They are raised and are not your average joes round neck.

Where would you draw the line?
    Anyone can wear what they want?

I gave up playing them years ago, so I couldn't give a toss about them?

I never said I can't abide by the rules btw, I do. I can still hold my opinion on what I think of them however, and I will share it too.

My brother had a good laugh with the captain a few years ago, he said to him, 'do you see these trousers, they cost me 15 euros. I've a pair of designer jeans at home that cost me 250 euros, that i can't wear because of the rules'.

I agree with the rules in general, and there are cases where sure they might be hard to apply. But on the other hand, having everyone walking around dressed like Hammish doesn't make the game look any more respectable. You can dress someone up, but it doesn't make them any more respectable. A lá the cases of a$$holes talking on mobile phones, etc.

On the subject of Messer Woods, what tournament was it he threatened to withdraw from when his Caddy couldn't wear shorts?? Another case of dress code insanity..

GreeBo wrote:
    Do you have the same issues with Wimbledon

I actually have a problem with the whites rule at Wimbledon. It is the only tournament that has a strict dress code.

Golf should be about the sport not the formality

swingking wrote:
    I actually have a problem with the whites rule at Wimbledon. It is the only tournament that has a strict dress code.

What formality do you refer to sir?

Hmmmm....... maybe the whole dress-code-thing like what we've been talking about for the last while

Does it strike a bell?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭celica140bhp

I got kicked out of Douglas Golf Club house in Cork for wearing a sweatshirt.....we had gotten soaked out on the course and it was the only dry top I had and I was refused when I tried to order food in the bar afterwards and my playing partner (a member) was called aside and asked to tell me to leave. I knew it wasn't up to club standards but give us a break - I've refused to go there since.
    On the point of the collarless shirts that Tiger wears - surely they have a collar - a "round" collar! I have one myself and I love it. I played Fota a few weeks back wearing it and had no problems. It's a golf shirt so I'm happy to wear it to any course......

swingking wrote:
    Hmmmm....... maybe the whole dress-code-thing like what we've been talking about for the last while

Does it strike a bell?:rolleyes:

Oh sorry... you call that formality.?... had that parked in the "common sense" bay meself.Anyway...99% of golf clubs have an acceptable dress code...99% of the members of these clubs have no prob lem with these ..erm... formalities as you call them...thats whats called.....whats the word..... uhmmmm...begins with D ... democracy.... thats the one:D :D

I got kicked out of Douglas Golf Club house in Cork for wearing a sweatshirt.....we had gotten soaked out on the course and it was the only dry top I had and I was refused when I tried to order food in the bar afterwards and my playing partner (a member) was called aside and asked to tell me to leave. I knew it wasn't up to club standards but give us a break - I've refused to go there since.
    that was bad implementation of the rule, it shouldn't have mattered at that stage, if you were properly attired but that got soaked then your not deliberately trying to break any rules you originally were sticking to the dress code, what did that arsehole expect you to do, wear wet clothes into the clubhouse and risk your health for his stuffy attitude.he was a Class-A knobjockey,
    thanks for the warning, i won't be going anywhere near thats dickheads club.

Agree with ya there J. R.

swingking wrote:

I have noticed a trend, that the majority of people that are interested in this formality, can't hit it out of their way. Maybe they need SOMETHING to focus on, just to feel involved like.. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭delboy159

Just to put another side to this...

The club I'm a member of is very relaxed - as in football shorts and jersey can be worn and there probably won't be any complaints. Runners and tracksuit would be okay also. It is therefore a very friendly relaxed spot, however, it doesn't have a very good image because of this relaxed attitude. I've heard people bad mouth it because they saw 4 guys on the 1st tee in tracksuit and jeans. I knew the guys on the tee and three of them were playing off between 12 and 15 - so can swing it when they want to. Whereas, if the guys teeing off were wearing "suitable golf attire", but couldn't hit snow off a rope, the perception of the club would be better... A cousin of mine in the club was/is off 8 (I assume he was cut - played 4 over par 2 weeks ago) and he could turn up in any type clothes - and has done. On most other courses he'd be asked to leave......

Golf is still entrenched in the world of business, bullsh*t and image. Thats why courses enforce the dress code and don't care about the common sense approach to live and let live.

Saying that I've seen a memeber in my place walk back a hole and remind a guy to repar his pitch mark, so they care - just not about what other people think.......

I don't expect this friendly easy going atmosphere to last - but I'll enjoy it while I can...

BOTTOM LINE - Seeing as I've given a real world alternative - Where would most posters prefer to be a member of? Up tight and strict (typical club) or relaxed and rough (place I've described)?

I'm guessing most people would opt for the typical club, as it has a better image....

Advertisement