Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying a piano

Options
  • 01-07-2006 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone can give me some guidance on buying a piano. I want to buy one for my wife for her 30th in September. Thing is I havent a clue about even the smallest things regarding music. She hasnt played the piano in years so it will be a shock to her to receive this. I dont have a budget in mind really. We are building a new house so it will have to come out of the mortgage!!!!

Any help will be really appreciated

Cheers

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

Hi Mike,
    I don't think there are too many pianists on this site so you may not get a lot of advice. I would check out some of the big piano makers websites and then go to buy and sell to see if you can pick up a decent second hand one. New piano's (good ones) are very expensive. I guess you'd want an upright too as the baby grands are still rather large.

Thats the best I can do man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Waltons, Royal Irish Academy and the DIT schools of music all use a lot of the new-style Yamaha uprights in classrooms - if they're good enough for them then they're good enough for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Edja

Tipp-Mike, have you tried Thomann.de? Do great deals on Electric Pianos. A friend of mine has one and it plays and sounds fantastic, and the range of stuff you can do with it?? Class!

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw6_artikel-185347.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

If you are prepared to sacrifice the aesthetics of a piano without compromisng (really) on the sound, try this from m-audio. It comes with sustain pedal, but will need headphones, a keyboard amp, or a stereo with aux input as I dont believe it has built in speakers.
    http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProKeys88-main.html

If you're looking for something more authentic, but still at a great price, try the Behringer range which is due to ship in the next month or two:
    http://www.behringer.com/02_products/musicalinstruments-index.cfm?lang=ENG#DIGITAL%20PIANOS%20&%20PORTABLE%20KEYBOARDS

Note both the above are digital pianos - there are no hammers hitting strings under the hood. It's all done through electronic sampling/synthesis. A real piano will probably sound a little better - but only if properly tuned and maintained. Having said that a real piano won't allow you to practice with headphones, change to an electric piano sound, select a concert hall reverb, etc.

One piece of advice - if it won't spoil the surprise, have her play the piano before you pay for it. Preferably give her a few options and let her find her favourite. The feel and sound of a piano is a matter of personal taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The_g-man

Have to agree with edja on this, thomann have some great deals on pianos:
    http://www.thomann.de/thoiw6_artikel-182164.html

Plenty of sounds and backing tracks, big clear screen to keep tabs on what sound you're playing. Also, a nice explanation on this site:
    http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=726&ParentId=40

Yamaha get great reviews too, but in this price range there are a lot less features:
    http://www.thomann.de/thoiw6_artikel-182210.html

• Advertisement

squibs wrote:
    If you are prepared to sacrifice the aesthetics of a piano without compromisng (really) on the sound, try this from m-audio. It comes with sustain pedal, but will need headphones, a keyboard amp, or a stereo with aux input as I dont believe it has built in speakers.
    http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProKeys88-main.html

If you're looking for something more authentic, but still at a great price, try the Behringer range which is due to ship in the next month or two:
    http://www.behringer.com/02_products/musicalinstruments-index.cfm?lang=ENG#DIGITAL%20PIANOS%20&%20PORTABLE%20KEYBOARDS

Do not buy her either of these if she is a trained pianist. I've been playing piano for about a decade now and the response off those supposed "hammer-action" keys on the m-audio series is very poor. I haven't had a chance to try the behringer one but they make their living off cloning cheap versions of other peoples products so I wouldn't hold my breath.
    For the price of a good electric piano with proper hammer-action you're as well off getting a nice upright instead - it's a piece of furniture for the new house, looks better and the sound really can't be matched by any digital reproduction on the market. As I said, the Yamaha uprights are very good quality and are competitively priced.

If you're really keen on going the electric piano route however, go to Waltons and look out for Korg, Roland and Yamaha as good brands and then copy the model number and get it off thomann.de :o

I've been playing piano for about a decade now and the response off those supposed "hammer-action" keys on the m-audio series is very poor.

The response curve can be changed. I'm an amateur around pianos as guitar is my instrument, but for what it's worth the m-audio response felt realistic to me once I'd changed the curve. And I do have access to an analog piano for comparison. It also compared favourably with a Fatar master keyboard and a Korg stage piano.
    I haven't had a chance to try the behringer one but they make their living off cloning cheap versions of other peoples products so I wouldn't hold my breath.

It's fashionable to slag off Behringer for being cheap. In my own studio I have their VAMP, mx2004 mixing desk, and a patch bay. I've just ordered a midi controller off of them. I don't buy Behringer just because it's cheap - I own a fair bit of big-brand stuff too. I buy Behringer 'cos it works well for me and I've never had an ounce of problems from any of their gear. Don't write 'em off.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Tipperarymike

Good god, thanks a million for all the replies, fair play, a complete mountain of information there to digest. To be honest its all a bit bambozzling, sp, for me, as I am a complete ignoramous on this issue. I guess it was a romantic notion I had that you could buy a baby grand type , kind of old school I suppose, as in the old country house type thing. God knows, I am waffling now. I shall get stuck into all the advice and see whats what. Again, its greatly appreciated, thanks to one and all for taking the time to pass on the advice.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

A cheap baby grand is gonna cost a few thousand. An good one will cost 15 to 30 thousand. I have a Yamaha Clavinova CLP240 and its a really good piano: http://clavinova.co.uk/

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw6_yamaha_clp240_r_set_prodinfo.html

The CLP280 is a fantastic piano if you can afford it. Though the 240 is perfect if you're wife isnt semi-professional lol

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The_g-man

• Advertisement

squibs wrote:
    The response curve can be changed. I'm an amateur around pianos as guitar is my instrument, but for what it's worth the m-audio response felt realistic to me once I'd changed the curve. And I do have access to an analog piano for comparison. It also compared favourably with a Fatar master keyboard and a Korg stage piano.

I was really referring to the keypress action of the keys more than the velocity curve or whatever it's called. I play keyboards and piano and I actually own the M-Audio Keystation 88es, it's a great keyboard - as are the rest of that series - but it's not a clavinova or piano and wasn't designed as such. Even the proper stage piano offering from them, the m-audio prokeys 88, doesn't beat the offerings from yamaha, korg, roland and the like - and this is comparing it to three uprights, two grand pianos and a clavinova (roland for the record). Either way, these are products geared more towards gigging musicians than heavy domestic use, you just can't put pictures and lamps on top of a keyboard can you? :)
    It's fashionable to slag off Behringer for being cheap. In my own studio I have their VAMP, mx2004 mixing desk, and a patch bay. I've just ordered a midi controller off of them. I don't buy Behringer just because it's cheap - I own a fair bit of big-brand stuff too. I buy Behringer 'cos it works well for me and I've never had an ounce of problems from any of their gear. Don't write 'em off.

I'm not writing them off and I'm not being fashionable. I fully support behringer equipment (barring their noisy eurorack mixers and other low-end "pro-audio" gear) and I think they're great recommendations for people on a tight budget or home producers/students etc... However, when the OP had asked for recommendations on a straight forward acoustic piano as a present from his wife and someone brings up a Behringer keyboard as an option... well you can kinda see where I'm coming from, can't you?

Tipperarymike - You simply can't go wrong with one of the Yamaha uprights if you can afford it. They last for decades with tuning, would make a great addition to your new home and if your wife has being playing piano for a few years at this stage, she'd appreciate it a lot more than a keyboard or stage piano.
    If you can't afford a Yamaha upright then you should consider a clavinova in one of the more traditional styles, there are some good recommendations above. and buy it off www.thomann.de

Thanks a million,

Really fair play to you all for all the advice, I have just got on for the first time since replying yesterday so shall take some time to digest all the info. I probably, did, give the impression that my wife plays the piano a lot. The reality is that she used to during her secondary school days, she is 30 this birthday, so the piano is going to be a shock for her. I had looked on waltons site, and saw that the grands were in the mid single digits thousands area. Didnt mind that too much, well ok , I rather not spend a bloody fortune, but I dont mind if the product is right. I like value for money as opposed to the cheapest trash going.

Again thanks

Mike

I had looked on waltons site, and saw that the grands were in the mid single digits thousands area. Didnt mind that too much

Mike, if money is not an issue and there is space in your house for a Baby Grand, I'd say go for it. Put is this way..... a Baby Grand would earn you a tidy amount of brownie points ;p and the sound from one is just fantastic.

It does seem however that Jimi_t is giving the best advice for what your after. A good Yamaha upright would be perfect and if the wife takes to it and plays more aften that not, then there is always the 40th for the Baby Grand.

However, when the OP had asked for recommendations on a straight forward acoustic piano as a present from his wife and someone brings up a Behringer keyboard as an option... well you can kinda see where I'm coming from, can't you?

He did not ask for a "straight forward acoustic piano", he asked for a piano. The spec was wide open - I refer you to the first post:
    Just wondering if anyone can give me some guidance on buying a piano. I want to buy one for my wife for her 30th in September. Thing is I havent a clue about even the smallest things regarding music.

As you can see acoustic is not mentioned, he's not sure what he's at, and is looking for options. The OP did mention not being sure about a budget. I was offering advice on the budget end of the market.

Have you even looked at the Behringer range? The OP now believes that they are "the cheapest trash going". I think the EUROGRAND EG8080 looks gorgeous - it will even hold a lamp and a few pictures! Like I say a piano is a personal choice, an electronic piano will offer features unavailable on an acoustic piano.

Given the potential budget concerns, I think it would be criminal not to A/B budget gear with the more upmarket stuff. Maybe after playing 3 chords the cheaper option will be deemed unsuitable, but maybe not... Cheap doesn't have to mean trash - Tokai guitars, FNR's Really Nice Compressor, etc. Generally it is true that you get what you pay for, but everybody has different budgets and expectations. That's why some people drive Seicentos and some drive CLK 500s...

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭sean_0

If Tipperarymike isn't just a clever name and you are from Tipperary, then you should go see John Shorthall in Fethard (I think). you'll probably find him in the Golden pages. He refurbishes old pianos and sells them on. He's a nice guy and pretty knowledgable and you should be able to get a nice upright there for a reasonable price

squibs wrote:
    He did not ask for a "straight forward acoustic piano", he asked for a piano. The spec was wide open...

I don't want to be faceitious about it, but he asked for a piano.
    By definition, if it doesn't have hammers hitting strings inside triggerd by mechanical keys then iit's not a piano.
    squibs wrote:
    Have you even looked at the Behringer range?

I was not biasing the OP, I was just offering an opinion as were you. Ever since I've been able to go into town on my own I have tried everything with a keyboard in the music stores in Dublin. I would have certainly given the behringer stuff a fair and critical review if any shop had carried their stock. Basically, their gear is so cheap and their overheads so tight that they mainly use webbased stores to shift their goods.
    squibs wrote:
    The OP now believes that they are "the cheapest trash going".

In the terms you spoke of, behringer gear may work fine for you, but they are the cheapest trash going and are generally (rather than fashionably) considered so.

The behringer gear is mostly designed for cashstrapped teenage/student musicians and every item they've released in the last few years has been a cheap clone version of another companies superior product. Look at their range of fuzzboxes, their DJ mixers, their Ableton controllers, their MIDI keyboards etc... They were sued at least three times in the last 2 years by BOSS and Pioneer Audio for infringing design copyright.

I'd agree that Behringer gear works and I'd definitely advise it to someone on a tight budget as a means of taking their first steps, but as a guitarist you certainly know the difference between a Squire and a Fender strat? One is a cheap and inferior copy of the other. They both do the same thing and are built in the same way but the more expensive of the two is unarguably better than the budget Squire one. I think this is a better analogy than the one you made about Tokai guitars.

This is my view on the Behringer gear and this is how I form my opinion from seeing their other gear without seeing their keybords in person. I hope I'm not seen as being unreasonable about it.
    Given the potential budget concerns, I think it would be criminal not to A/B budget gear with the more upmarket stuff.

If someones asking about buying a piano for their wife's 30th birthday for their new house they've just bought... My assumption would normally be that they're not going to be looking at the bargain basement stuff

I'm not looking to start a big argument with you squibs, your opinions and advice are well judged and are based on sound premises. In a different advice scenario I'd be right behind you, I'm a big man for the buget alternative :) I just think you just might have misjudged the best option for the OP a small bit.

sorry about all this hassle this seems to be causing between all the really well intentioned posters. I feel like a right little faeces, sp, stirrer. First off the bat, I need to apolgise for implying that some of the advice received, namely from squibs, was regarding the cheapest trash, as I ignorantly put it. Sorry about that, I meant it more in terms of a , dont mind spending the money on something once it is correctly priced in line with what it offers. It came out terribly, I appreciate that, and honestly no offence was intentioned towards anyone. I think my ignorance in this area was probably responsible.

As correctly pointed out, I did ask for a piano, I just took it that they were mostly the same. The idea of that in my little world was the baby grand was what was the main option. Shows now , what I knew then!!!

Finally to one and all, my appreciation for all the great advice is heartfelt. I am truly bowled over by how informative everything to date has been, and that people took the time to analyse, post and argue over the various options that would give me the best bang for my buck.

Thanks again

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Firstly I am an advanced pianist and I do have a good idea on what to buy.

I would reccommend that you choose a taller upright over a baby grand. A baby grand does not give as much room and it is not worth for the tonality. The reason for this is that the taller the strings, the greater the tone or timbre. Do not buy a piano second hand unless it is from a reputable make.

German pianos are more better than Japanese pianos but there are some good makes and models.

Decide on a price limit as you can spend any amount up to 120000.

Best places to buy are pianos plus and Tynan Pianos in Rathmines. I would not reccommend the pianos that are in Waltons.

Best of Luck

Tipperarymike - no need to apologise. You've created a healthy debate from which we (even me :) ) can learn something. That's the spirit of boards.

Oh dear, jimi_t. We're just not going to agree on anything, are we?
    By definition, if it doesn't have hammers hitting strings inside triggerd by mechanical keys then iit's not a piano.

Disagree - a digital piano is a piano, it just generates the sound in a different way. Same as an electric car is still a car. For every link quoted to an electric instrument in this thread (even the wee m-audio), the destination article calls the product a piano. Are they all wrong?
    but they are the cheapest trash going and are generally (rather than fashionably) considered so.

Disagree - often amongst the cheapest, Not trash. If it's suitable for the intended use (features, reliability, perceived quality all factor here), then it's not trash. That's what the tokai guitar analogy illustrates - surely you see what I'm getting at? Budget companies undercut for the most part by copying established designs (often flirting with copyright infringement as you say) and by producing in low cost countries. The Japanese nearly killed the American car industry with that approach, remember. They got so good at improving (as opposed to reinventing) the (Ameriacn) wheel, that even Americans stopped buying Fords - but I digress.

Some companies do it by churning out trash (doesn't work out of the box, doesn't do what it says on the tin, breaks when breathed upon, dreadful s/n ratio, etc.). They usually don't stay in business for long.
    They both do the same thing and are built in the same way but the more expensive of the two is unarguably better than the budget Squire one.

You're touching on what is the core of my whole point. Everybody has a different requirement re price/features. The squire is a fine guitar in it's own niche. It absolutely is the right solution (and furthermore the stratocaster is the wrong guitar) for a certain segment of the market - impoverished students, occasional players, etc. Fender sell 'em by the lorryload. I've gigged with 'em, and I would again. The stratocaster is indupitably a better guitar (I own one), but this does not make the lower spec squire trash.

I never suggested that the Behringer, or any other budget instrument, was the right product for the OP - I was merely offering it up as an option to be considered. With the information I had when I made my first post, my suggestions were as valid as anybody elses, especially given that the OP alluded to budget concerns. If somebody had suggested dropping a 5 figure sum on a Bossendorfer or Steinway, that would have also been valid.

Best thread in ages and all conducted with respect and no silly name calling like some people resort too......... ;)

• Advertisement

Don't worry about it tipperarymike, you've prompted one of the most interesting threads on boards in a while tbh :)
    squibs wrote:
    Disagree - a digital piano is a piano, it just generates the sound in a different way. Same as an electric car is still a car. For every link quoted to an electric instrument in this thread (even the wee m-audio), the destination article calls the product a piano. Are they all wrong?

I'm afraid there's absolutely no way I could ever call something that doesn't have mechanical hammers hitting internal strings triggered by a mechanical keyboard interface a "piano". By definition, this a prerequisite for defining an instrument as a piano (as it is a prerequisite for defining a Harpsichord and other similar percussion instruments).
    I can understand the logic of your electric argument completely, but by your own admission can you call a rackmount sampler unit (with piano samples) connected via MIDI to a control interface a "piano" - even though it generates (more or less) the same sound, just in a different way? If you package it in a fancy wood case with traditional piano stylings does that then make it a piano?

But I digress, the main reason I presumed the OP wanted a Piano as opposed to an electronic instrument was his admitted ignorance of music in general and that the scenario he presented us with - man wanting to buy a special present for his wife's 30th birthday, who used to play piano, and who has just moved into a new house - seemed to suggest a piano as opposed to a Clavinova or other alternative
    squibs wrote:
    Disagree - often amongst the cheapest, Not trash. If it's suitable for the intended use (features, reliability, perceived quality all factor here), then it's not trash.

Fair enough, if you're an informed consumer then you know the risks involved in buying budget gear, with particular reference to Behringer stuff. The OP, by his own admission, wasn't, and I just wanted him to know that the public opinion and my own personal experience with the Behringer stuff isn't exactly laudable. It wasn't an attack on your setup!
    squibs wrote:
    Some companies do it by churning out trash (doesn't work out of the box, doesn't do what it says on the tin, breaks when breathed upon, dreadful s/n ratio, etc.).

If it doesn't 'do what it say on the tin' then a company is engaging in false advertising, which no major music company does - Behringer is especially careful of this as many consumer watchdogs are on their backs as well as many major companies which would love to see them out of business. If a product doesn't work out of the box, then it is a breach of basic consumer rights, again something which doesn't happen. That's two of your criteria nullified by law.

Now look at your remaining criteria to describe a music product as "trash".
    breaks when breathed on - Inferior build quailty, cheaper materials and other cost-cutting measures means that the majority of Behringer gear (not all of it) has a lower than average product life, with products such as their guitar stomp-boxes able to sustain very little abuse compared to the BOSS and Electroharmonix pedals they were ripped off from.
    dreadful s/n ratio - Stompboxes I mentioned above aren't true bypass, colour the tone and can result in some dreadful dissonant harmonics and signal noise. Cheaper Mixers, especially the Eurorack series, have a disgusting s/n ratio and a reputation for failing due to bad solder joints around the input and output sockets, or simply without explanation. Ditto DJ mixers (bad crossfaders, scratchy pots).

Some of the Behringer stuff is all right - that VAMP you have for example - but I would still say that the majority of Behringer gear, especially the cheaper stuff, is trash and that they are defined as so by your own criteria.
    squibs wrote:
    You're touching on what is the core of my whole point. Everybody has a different requirement re price/features.

Of course, but it's just as important to let them know how the product fairs. I have no problem with discussing budget options, but with a presumption as to the OPs budget and scenario (as stated above) I just offered an opinion - as a piano and keyboard player who is very familiar with their range of products - that the Behringer stuff in general is below par.
    squibs wrote:
    I never suggested that the Behringer, or any other budget instrument, was the right product for the OP - I was merely offering it up as an option to be considered.

And I was merely offering up my opinion that it was the wrong choice - I'm not bullying the OP into one decision over the other and I backed up everything I said with valid and well illustrated reasons. At the end of the day, however, we're two people he doesn't know and will probably never meet :)

swingking wrote:
    I would reccommend that you choose a taller upright over a baby grand. A baby grand does not give as much room and it is not worth for the tonality. The reason for this is that the taller the strings, the greater the tone or timbre.

Great point that I completely forgot about when recommending uprights.
    Best places to buy are pianos plus and Tynan Pianos in Rathmines. I would not reccommend the pianos that are in Waltons.

I'd recommend Tynan Pianos over Piano's Plus (preferred the staff). There's also a place on Capel Street (I think...) which has a decent selection.
    The ones in Waltons are generaly uber-expensive and are outnumbere by the clavinovas/keyboards and they've knocked the walls that used to house the piano/keyboard section so it's a lot less pleasant then it was

Ah you're back, jimi_t :)

Beers in system right now. I shall return to the debate when I can give it the clear thought and respect it deserves. Have a good weekend and thanks for getting me thinking. I feel a cease fire is entirely possible and decomissioning is not beyond the bounds of possibility.

Ulster says "No!" but Squibs says "What was the question again?"

I can understand the logic of your electric argument completely, but by your own admission can you call a rackmount sampler unit (with piano samples) connected via MIDI to a control interface a "piano" - even though it generates (more or less) the same sound, just in a different way? If you package it in a fancy wood case with traditional piano stylings does that then make it a piano?

If it's got 88 fully weighted keys, then yes I would. So would, Korg, Roland, Yamaha, et al - and their customers."If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands."
    I presumed the OP wanted a Piano as opposed to an electronic instrument
    IMHO a piano can be an electronic instrument
    If it doesn't 'do what it say on the tin' then a company is engaging in false advertising, which no major music company does - Behringer is especially careful of this as many consumer watchdogs are on their backs as well as many major companies which would love to see them out of business. If a product doesn't work out of the box, then it is a breach of basic consumer rights, again something which doesn't happen. That's two of your criteria nullified by law.
    Like I said, companies that put out trash don't stay in business for long.

breaks when breathed on - Inferior build quailty, cheaper materials and other cost-cutting measures means that the majority of Behringer gear (not all of it) has a lower than average product life, with products such as their guitar stomp-boxes able to sustain very little abuse compared to the BOSS and Electroharmonix pedals they were ripped off from.[/QUOTE]

I can't swallow this without empirical data to support it. The only data I have is from my own setup. Eurorack - 5 years trouble free service - no crackling faders/pots, no loose connections, all aspects fully functional. Patch bay - 5 years trouble free service. V-AMP 3 years trouble free service, was able to upgrade firmware to v2 giving me vastly improved functionality - this only cost me the price of an EEPROM. Iust took delivery of a UMX25 midi controller. Lovely keyboard action, knobs and buttons have decent tactile feel - built to last I feel. It came with free ableton live le and a soundcard which offers 1.1 ms latency (much better than my "pro" rackmount soundcard). The whole lot cost €105.

Most of the dissing of Behringer I've heard has come from people who have never owned any of the gear.
    dreadful s/n ratio - Stompboxes I mentioned above aren't true bypass, colour the tone and can result in some dreadful dissonant harmonics and signal noise. Cheaper Mixers, especially the Eurorack series, have a disgusting s/n ratio and a reputation for failing due to bad solder joints around the input and output sockets, or simply without explanation. Ditto DJ mixers (bad crossfaders, scratchy pots).

Again the only data I have is my own experiences. I A/Bd with a Mackie, and was able to detect a slightly better s/n ratio on the Mackie (really noticeable only over unity gain), I also thought the Mackie EQ was a little more musical. Having said that, the Mackie was double the price for a similar mixer. As I do my mixing on the computer, and use the mixer just to mix synths/outboard with my souncard outputs for my monitor mix, the Behringer is perfect for my needs. Its all about the price/performance balance.
    majority of Behringer gear, especially the cheaper stuff, is trash and that they are defined as so by your own criteria
    I refute your assertions here and don't see that you have provided any solid evidence for your case.
    And I was merely offering up my opinion that it was the wrong choice
    I believe this opinion was premature - at the time my advice was offered neither of us had sufficient info from the OP's post to determine whether it was the right or wrong choice.

You two aren't married by any chance are ye??? ;)

I'm like a kid with a scab. I just can't stop picking away at it :)
    But, you're right. I've decided not to post again on the subject, no matter how eloquent an counter argument jimi_t makes to my last post, in the interests of not letting a stimulating debate go stale.

At the risk of driving everyone who was so great to reply when I brought this up the last time, I wanted to update on what happened since. Well feck all really till today that is. I researched everything everyone had to say and to be honest my head was midered rightly from it. With the birthday looming in early Sept I decided to call Jonh Shorthall in Fethard and he seemed to be spot on about it. He has a refurbed , I think anyway, Rogers upright down there, so am going to head down on Thursday to have a look and most likely purchase

Cheers again

Mike

Good luck! Hope the missus appreciates it (and you!).

Cheers squibs,

I hope she will, she is pretty easy going, though that resulted in being stuck with me, and she will not be expecting this in the slightest so hopefully the wow factor shoud score some major brownie points for me!

Michael

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Just remember Salesmen/women working in instruments shops generally don't give a s**t about what you want or need and you are more vunerable as you don't know a whole lot about them make sure they don't try and rob you and point you to the most expensive instrument in the shop purely to get the commission of the sale etc.

I recommend you find somebody who does know instruments to look at the pianos with you to avoid it ending in tears.

Remember, just because a piano costs €15000 doesn't mean its any better or sounds any better then the ones that are €2000-€5000. I had no upper limit when buying my piano and ended up buying a Yamaha which was €3000 purely because it sounded 100 times better then even the baby grand I originally had my eye on.

And on top of this if she hasn’t played in years ya got to keep in mind the fact that she might not want to anymore. I can see a nightmare scenario of a baby grand sitting there gathering dust and selling instruments isn't easy. I.e you will be lucky to get 50% of the original price back.

Best of luck with it. I'm sure she will be delighted

Advertisement