Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blurb about 3G cards in US vs EU

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 pfrench

There are actually two Huawei cards being distributed at the moment. The E618 is a direct replacement for the Option Quad card, but the E620 is also available. This card (which is the one i got) is HSDPA ready and is the card Vodafone will be using when they launch the HSDPA service.

I purchased the SLP17 antenna a couple of weeks back after being initially told by Vodafone that they were sticking to the Option cards, but that story has changed. I haven't been able to find any info regarding the antenna connections for the Huawei cards, so if anyone finds out please let me know.
    leoc wrote:
    Yes, mine is the Huawei E618. I think that's the current model:

sez Vodafone New Zealand. Its website seems to be more informative than vodafone.ie right now; it lists the various Mobile Connect cards, but still doesn't give the antenna connector details. I'll have to ring Vodafone IE's Data Support people, when they get back to work on Monday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭leoc

Vodafone's Data Support people don't know what the antenna connector is. I rang Huawei's Irish office and got a helpful lady on the telephone but no answer from the person she contacted on my behalf. With further poking around on the Web I'm now pretty sure that the connector is SMK's TS-5 (press release). The bad news is that Thiecom doesn't seem to stock it at present, and it may be hard to get hold of in general.

Edit: hangonasec, Thiecom say that their PIG6FME pigtail is suitable for UMTS cards from HUAWEI. So that may be the ticket.

Fair play Leoc - thanks for that!
    leoc wrote:

Edit: hangonasec, Thiecom say that their PIG6FME pigtail is suitable for UMTS cards from HUAWEI. So that may be the ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 FoZi

Hi there ppl

Sorry the *bump* but have someone got some more information to the "external antennas" for huawei cards (in my case the e618 model) ?

Tks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 FoZi

Here I am one more time :P

I just found some interesting stuff:

For Huawei users:

http://scm.asianproducts.com/clients/showproducts_A10173435054851_big_P11579567675215672.html

1.CABLE: RG174

2.LENGTH: 50CM , 100CM

3.CONNECTOR: TNC , MINI UHF , FME

Well I think this is the key for our problem, If someone could give us some more information about this conectors that should be great =)

Tks

:)

• Advertisement

Just a quick update for anyone looking at getting an external antenna ......

I ordered everything from Thiecom.de. The order process is a little slow, but apart from that they are good to deal with. The parts you need (assuming you have the Huawei card) are :

SLP17 - The antenna
    PG6FME - The pigtail connection for the card
    SMA8FME - Cable

The antenna makes a big difference. I had a 'good' signal at best up until now and it was sometimes tempermental. With the antenna, the signal is a constant 'excellent'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Are the connectors on the E618 and the newer E620 the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 danivang

Hi to you all,
    I solved for my Huawei e 620 card buying an indoor antenna and relative pigtail from an ebayer seller http://stores.ebay.it/id=235689457?ssPageName=L2 and everything is working very well.
    hope to have write right

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Hi
    I know something about computers but I'm no technician and need some beginners help.
    I bought the SLP17 from thiecom & the Linksys 3G router (wrt54g3g) from Elara.

But I need to create a cable to link them. I brought the gear to Maplin and they sold me rg58 cable with reverse polarity rg174 SMA plugs ... which after much head scratching at home I figured out could not be connected to each other never mind the antenna & router. Of course they blame me and won't refund or replace but that's another story.

Can someone tell me what precisely I need to create a cable to connect the antenna & router.. please! And where I can buy it in Ireland (excluding maplin of course) would be great!

thx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

croo wrote:
    I bought the SLP17 from thiecom & the Linksys 3G router (wrt54g3g) from Elara
    Can someone tell me what precisely I need to create a cable to connect the antenna & router.. please! And where I can buy it in Ireland (excluding maplin of course) would be great!
    I don't think you attach the antenna to the router - you attach it to the Vodafone datacard.

• Advertisement

The router has a small external antenna connected via an SMA plug of some sort... I thought I could use this to attach the larger, fixed, external SLP17 antenna. Is this not the case?

colin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

croo wrote:
    The router has a small external antenna connected via an SMA plug of some sort... I thought I could use this to attach the larger, fixed, external SLP17 antenna. Is this not the case?
    That's the antenna that the router uses for 802.11g wi-fi. The router doesn't "speak" UMTS/3G/GPRS - that's why you have to plug a data card into it. The data card handles all the 3G signalling, and that's why the antenna has to plug into the datacard.

ok. I don't imagine the connection with the cards will be as secure :-/ I mean in physical terms rather than privacy terms. Do you know what cable and connectors I need link the card & the antenna? I see there is an SMA type connector on the antenna...

thx for the help foxwood!

colin

re reading the thread ... does that mean what I need is?
    pfrench wrote:
    SLP17 - The antenna
    SMA8FME - Cable
    Assuming I get one of the Huawei cards that is...

colin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 grimly

croo wrote:
    re reading the thread ... does that mean what I need is?

"Originally Posted by pfrench
    SLP17 - The antenna
    SMA8FME - Cable"

colin

Yep. That's exactly what you need.
    Fwiw, I've just done the same, but different. Thiecom supplied an antenna (SLP15, iirc) the pigtail and the cabling. I have the antenna mounted at the focal point of an MMDS dish pointing to the nearest access point some 4 miles away. I get decent connectivity, but it needs some improvement yet. I'll be trying a solid dish and a cantenna soon.

From looking around, I'd say Thiecom are about the cheapest, but not the quickest. The stuff got here eventually, but maybe it only seemed to take longer than it did because I was impatient for it.http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/images/icons/icon10.gif

croo wrote:

Just watch out for the fact that Vodafone are distributing 2 diferrent Huawei cards (e618 and e620).

Also, good to see that the USB version is getting closer (about to be launched in Voda Spain)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Paulop

leoc wrote:
    Vodafone's Data Support people don't know what the antenna connector is. I rang Huawei's Irish office and got a helpful lady on the telephone but no answer from the person she contacted on my behalf. With further poking around on the Web I'm now pretty sure that the connector is SMK's TS-5 (press release). The bad news is that Thiecom doesn't seem to stock it at present, and it may be hard to get hold of in general.

Huawei Terminal Customer Service Center (mobile@huawei.com) tell me that the E618 antenna uses Linear Polarization (Along the Antenna extent direction) and a CRC9001-2401(SMK-3A)connector. However, I am not sure if this is what connects to the card (rather than the antanna head).

I myself am looking for a patch cable extention enabling positioning of the antenna remotely from my card/laptop (if anybody knows where to source one?).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Do you reckon any one of these antennas would work for me http://www.saswireless.ltd.uk/index.asp?function=DISPLAYCAT&catid=16
    I'm 7 miles from the nearest 3G mast with a near line of site.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Are there any timing limits that limit the distance you can be from a base station ?

11Mb WiFi can go 125 Miles - with large antennas - http://www.engadget.com/2005/07/31/unamplified-wifi-distance-record-set-at-125-miles/
    54Mb I haven't heard of anyone getting past a few hundred meters without having to rewrite the whole protocol because of timing limitations in the standard.

For the non-technical it's a comparable to the reason for a maximum speed of 56.6Kb on dial up, the telecoms people put filters on the line so the signal can be digitised on ONE of their 64Kb channels. Timing may be set so that it doesn't waiting for a signal that's probably too weak to work reliablilly and use the time saved in waiting to provide more bandwidth to closer users.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

To get 125 miles out of 11Mb WiFi you also typically have to modify the timing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 LongfordDane

So I got a SLP17 and a Huawei E630 from Three. Reception went from 0 bars to 3 and I can get downloads speed at over 1Mbit testing at www.speedtest.net.

But I only get upload of 50 kbit/s anyone seen that one before. The supplier of the SLP17 is a bit baffled also.

Could the extenal conenctor on my datacard be defective ??

Cheers

LongfordDane

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭manaboutdog

How did you physically connect the SLP17 to the Huawei E630?

Advertisement