Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE News' resident 12 year old news reader...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

Well do remember this is the broadcaster that employs Aengus MacGrianna as a newsreader.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Anthony Murnane always appears quite casual, as if he isn't too concerned with what he's doing...I also think sometimes he kind of comes across as arrogant....not too sure why

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I'll have to join in this in saying that Áine Gallagher is absolutely terrible. It most certainly has to be a case of who you know, that got her that position alright. She is of course being kept on the second channel and late news where not a lot of people will hear her. There is no chance of her getting onto Six-One or the Nine O'Clock News, surely.

Apparently so. :( I'd only ever noticed her on RTE 2.

Here is another one of Miss Gallagher's stories on a festival for a nice old man who wrote lovely plays and a tribute by a famous rock star who helped poor and starving people. :rolleyes:

http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/228-2128037.smil

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 meejawhore

Just to clarify a few things: Áine is not 12 (she was at Trinity a few years ahead of me, and I'm 27) and she's not a sh1t journalist (she was a reporter for Reuters in Brussels and also wrote occasionally for the Independent and was quite good at her job). But I agree that rea-ding-the-news is perhaps not one of her fortés. As far as I know unless it's for a specific show RTE recruits new journalists and tries them out on various tasks across the organisation, as does the BBC. It seems incredulous that they've left her doing voice-overs for so long though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 NRP

I come to this board to praise Samantha Libreri and not to slate her! I totally disagree with all your criticisms of her. She is a very professional and able broadcaster who delivers her reports to a very high standard.
    Samantha is not just an excellent print journalist but worked on 2FM as a newsreader before she got the job on RTE News after an intense interview process.
    I would imagine that many of her critics are famaliar with this process as they have probably tried and failed to get these positions themselves.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

NRP wrote:
    I come to this board to praise Samantha Libreri and not to slate her! I totally disagree with all your criticisms of her. She is a very professional and able broadcaster who delivers her reports to a very high standard.
    Samantha is not just an excellent print journalist but worked on 2FM as a newsreader before she got the job on RTE News after an intense interview process.
    I would imagine that many of her critics are famaliar with this process as they have probably tried and failed to get these positions themselves.

In fairness I can only see one criticism of Libreri here, the main target seems to be Gallagher.
    meejawhore wrote:
    Just to clarify a few things: Áine is not 12 (she was at Trinity a few years ahead of me, and I'm 27) and she's not a sh1t journalist (she was a reporter for Reuters in Brussels and also wrote occasionally for the Independent and was quite good at her job). But I agree that rea-ding-the-news is perhaps not one of her fortés. As far as I know unless it's for a specific show RTE recruits new journalists and tries them out on various tasks across the organisation, as does the BBC. It seems incredulous that they've left her doing voice-overs for so long though...

Obviously the 12 year old remark was (ironically) childish, and was used as a comparison; I don't think any remarks about her journalistic ability have really been made her, ability to do voice-overs; frankly she was given a job to do in RTÉ and in her position I don't think any journalist would say "I don't think I'm good enough", that's for RTÉ to decide.

I saw her in front of the camera for the first time last night. As well as sounding so, she looks very young too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

I think this thread does highlight the wider issue of nepotism within RTÉ though.

It has long struck me as a place that would be quite easy to work for if a family member was already there. Many years ago I shared a flat with a guy who worked in RTÉ as his summer job when he was in university. It turned out that his father was a senior RTÉ manager who simply got him in there in the summers.

Apparently this was how many temps got into RTÉ in the eighties, purely by word of mouth from family members.

Maybe it's different now but I'm sure there are many talented people who would love to work there who are being kept out because they have no relations on the inside!

• Advertisement

rlogue wrote:
    Maybe it's different now but I'm sure there are many talented people who would love to work there who are being kept out because they have no relations on the inside!
    I suspect CIÉ are the same, to my disadvantage... :(

I know for a fact that CIE operated in exactly the same way in the eighties. Two friends of mine in school whose fathers worked at Inchicore depot were offered jobs there.

From reading the comments on the Platform 11 site it would seem that things haven't changed much at Iarnród Éireann...:mad:

Nepotism is rife in all industries, private and public, and in many other spheres too.

Private industry I can understand to an extent, but for semi-state bodies like CIÉ and RTÉ to indulge in it is surely an insult to the taxpayer?

Maybe I am getting used to it, or maybe she is getting some tutoring, but there appears to be a very slight improvement in her voice. A long way to go though.

Flukey wrote:
    Maybe I am getting used to it, or maybe she is getting some tutoring, but there appears to be a very slight improvement in her voice. A long way to go though.

Yer wha'???:confused:

I said "very slight"! Last night she was doing a report on kids starting school. It seemed somewhat appropriate for her. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭steve-o

She's back! Despite what all you skeptics had to say, the Beeb have shown true vision and seen Aine's hidden talents. http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_7050000/newsid_7054400/7054407.stm?bw=bb&mp=wm&asb=1&news=1
    (the BBC might inflict a short ad on you first)

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭transylman

Oh my god, if anything she has gotten worse. It's like the BBC are encouraging her to play up the patronising speaking-to-a-child tone.

Is it possible that this was all some maneuver to get her out of RTE so she could be fired?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

While she wasn't as bad as Aine, tonight's News 2 presenter (Doreen something) was pretty bad also. She almost seemed lost for words/questions on the live interview with the soccer reporter on location.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Aine is dreadful and must be related to someone in RTE and that's the only reason she's there.

But the worst and most high profile news presenter is Anghus Mcrinna, excuse the spelling. He presents the 1 news and fills in at the weekend mostly. Dreadfully inept at presenting. Stutters and can not handle any changes in the script.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

I like the way when you Google her this page comes up first. That has to be good for future employers.

Anyway you can put a face to the voice here.

As for nepotism in RTE in general, I can confirm a lad I went to school with has the odd job there. Oh, and his father happens to work high up in Rte. That is where the TV license goes, who are we to question it?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Ulanzi

That's a different Aine Gallagher. It says she's a trainee midwife...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Dear God that BBC report was awful. She should be on that kids' news show on RTE2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

But hold on, surely it's up to RTE to train these people before putting them in front of a camera.

I don't know the first thing about broadcasting, but I know Niamh and she is a fine reporter.

David Murphy, as another example, is an excellent business hack, but he's no good on air.

I wonder do they get ANY training beforehand?

Has anyone else noticed the amount of RTE reporters who just stand still while doing their piece to camera? Just compare them to the BBC heads, whose style is much more enganging.

The only one I can see who delivers things well on RTE is Barry Cummins.

train-ing??:confused::confused::D

you do realise this is a broadcaster thats nicked all its best radio presenters from pirate radio stations they were bitching about back in the 80's dont ya :D:D

can confirm the nepotism thing was still going on in the 90s as well as thats how a mate of mine got a job as a stage/set hand. no experience whatsoever as he was coming from the financial sector which must piss off the theatre set but daddy was a "higher up"

TBH its still the same in an post and even the fire brigade to this day so i wouldnt be surprised if its still unofficial practice . certainly explains the medeocrity of their output. and hell theyre not alone. listen to ANY station on the radio and odds are you'll hear the interviewer bring on his ex school teacher or professor to talk about a subject. newstalk stick the feckers on as replacements when their broadcasters go on holiday! (richard aldridge im looking at you!). i'll never understand why just because someones an academic/consultant/politician some suit thinks they can do radio.

i mean honestly is there anybody in RTE right now that you look at and think " he/ she is star quality and has a great carrer ahead of em anywhere in the world!". FFS we're supposed to think the planks clone turbidy is a talent.

christ the only reason we've got podge and rodge is they put in 15yrs of hard graft going back to zig and zag. if they just walked in the door last year they'dve been kicked back out it !

they should make it an official motto.

RTE: nepotism FTW !

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 371 ✭✭Traffic

Anyone know where Anthony Murnane has gone havent seen him on the news in ages??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭santosubito

Traffic wrote: »
    Anyone know where Anthony Murnane has gone havent seen him on the news in ages??

He is the deputy foreign editor. He was on McAleese's trip to New Zealand around a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

hopefault wrote: »
    i cannot believe Aine Gallagher is still employed by rte to read the news. she is terrible.
    I don't watch much TV, if any, but those clips made my jaw drop.

In fairness to her, I'm sure she's a good print journalist, but WTF WERE RTE THINKING!?!

She really should know better and play to her strengths before she's laughed out of any future career in the media.

Yet another case of someone finding the secret hidden underground interconnecting tunnel between UCD and Montrose.

Nepotism isn't exclusively an RTE trait, but is rife throughout the media sector in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

steve-o wrote: »
    She's back! Despite what all you skeptics had to say, the Beeb have shown true vision and seen Aine's hidden talents. http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_7050000/newsid_7054400/7054407.stm?bw=bb&mp=wm&asb=1&news=1
    (the BBC might inflict a short ad on you first)

A slight note on the side: The guy who's building the toilet - His name is Duck! :D That's made my evening. You were all too mesmerised by Aine's lovely lilt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

What about that blonde newsreader on RTE2 who manages to stumble about once every three sentences - if you can't read fluently and confidently from an autocue, maybe you shouldn't read the news

Advertisement