Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone seen a Citroen C6 yet?

Options
  • 24-06-2006 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,345 ✭✭✭

I think the C6 is on sale here for a month or two but I haven't seen any on the road or when passing by Citroen dealers. So has anyone else seen one. What's it like "in the metal".

Also there are some rumours that the C6 will get a 4 cylinder engine. Any news on that? I personally would not consider buying a new C6 unless it became available with say a 2.2 turbodiesel engine and a manual gearbox. This version would also need to have a list price of 15-20k less than the current 2.7 HDi model (list price 65k)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

BrianD3 wrote:
    This version would also need to have a list price of 15-20k less than the current 2.7 HDi model (list price 65k)
    still would convince me to buy one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Have'nt seen one and I suspect they'll make the XM look popular.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

The only one i have seen is a black one thats been registered by Gallic Distributors. I have seen it on the kylemore road now and again.

The car was meant to launch in Feb as far as i remember but then there was a 4 month delay due to quality problems.

Only two are registered in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,981 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

RedorDead wrote:
    The only one i have seen is a black one thats been registered by Gallic Distributors. I have seen it on the kylemore road now and again.

The car was meant to launch in Feb as far as i remember but then there was a 4 month delay due to quality problems.

Only two are registered in Ireland.

I regularly read posts saying X amount of a particular vehicle are registered. Is there a way of legally finding out this information or is it 'insider' knowledge?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Garda lookup or the tax office system id imagine some ppl here work in either area...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭maidhc

Garda lookup or the tax office system id imagine some ppl here work in either area...

Far broader than that.

Those entitled to view it are listed in the Finance Act 1993 (Section 60) Regulations 2005.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I saw one (at least i think it was) on the m50 last week. Was a monsterous looking car, a mix between the 8 series and a citreon really! Cream leather seats, looked almost slugish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

I was on my way to Letterkenny from Limerick during the week and was just talking about the car to the lads in the car when we came across an English reg'd one on the dual carriageway going in to Sligo. I thought it looked better in the metal than it did in the pictures. It looked like it just glided along. Top Gear gave it a pretty good review too.

I'd definitely consider buying one second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

lll definately be looking for a 2nd hand one in a few years when it's time to replace the safrane, seeing as renault dont have anything similar. Spec seems to be similar to the safrane so ill be happy. :)

A new one wouldbe nice but €70k would be a bit of a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

When I was in France back in April there was one parked just outside my hotel. I stopped and looked at it for a good 3 minutes. Looked very good (for a Citroën)! Cream leather seats and all... It's absolutely huge! I actually like it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,230 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Lovely car in the great Citroen tradition
    BrianD3 wrote:
    the current 2.7 HDi model (list price 65k)

A tough negotiator could get that down significantly, probably nearer the 50k mark. I'd be very tempted myself, if I could get a 50% discount

A few years on it will be a great super value buy for the likes of Skekelly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

LOTP wrote:

Nice unbalanced review from Citroen Ireland there! Wouldn't take the price list too literally though!

well they are hardly going to call it sh!t

LOTP wrote:
    well they are hardly going to call it sh!t

Yeah, I suppose anyone who call their reliability "legendary" (Citroen commercial vehicles radio advert - last month) isn't gonna be honest and tell you that there has never really been a sucessful large French saloon car!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,230 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

colm_mcm wrote:
    Wouldn't take the price list too literally though!

Of course not. Less so with a Citroen C6 than with any other mainstream car

I'd wager the €80k top model could be had for anyone barging into a Citroen dealer waving €55k in cash. Anyone here disagree?

with a father working in a citroen dealership, no i wouldn't disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 semi

Apparently the C6 is built by PAG on a seperate line with the Peugeot 407 coupe. According to Autocar anyway... a 'Haute de Gamme' (probably spelt wrong) line - means top of the range. Much greater attention to quality than the regular cars. Haven't seen it in the flesh, it's a pity it won't succeed. It's at least about 20k too expensive. Will make a great second-hand buy... lovely car! Uses same diesel engine as the Jag XJ/Land Rover Discovery/407 coupe which will soon be making an appearance in the regular 407...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,345 ✭✭✭BrianD3

unkel wrote:
    Of course not. Less so with a Citroen C6 than with any other mainstream car

I'd wager the €80k top model could be had for anyone barging into a Citroen dealer waving €55k in cash. Anyone here disagree?
    Don't know about that! From what I read Citroen are trying to get away from heavy discounting on the C6 as it is very poor from a marketing POV. The whole thing become a big joke, residual values are destroyed, the cars develop an image for being worthless and downmarket. Not sure of the ins and outs of it - would dealers have been instructed by Citroen not to give massive discounts in the C6. Could Citroen even do this?

I think they don't really care about the UK and Irish markets anyway as they have admitted that the C6 won't sell in these markets.

Citroen's image has really taken a hammering in recent years though. Contrast that with 1993 when the Xantia was introduced. At the time the British press were falling over themselves to praise it. Not just for its looks comfort and diesel engines but for its build quality too. I think residual values were pretty good for the Xantia for the first few years too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Was driving behind a Xantia yesterday & it struck me how handsome & classy it is compared to the C5.

PAG have made a dog's dinner of the Citroen brand in the last 10/12 years. Citroen has become the groups budget brand - every second skanger I see is driving a Saxo & even a desirable car like the C4 is being heavily discounted. The reliability is dreadful too. Autocars long-term C4 is a POS...

Love the C6, really do, but even at 10/15 grand less it's never gonna be a sensible place for your money

• Advertisement

BrianD3 wrote:
    Don't know about that! From what I read Citroen are trying to get away from heavy discounting on the C6 as it is very poor from a marketing POV. The whole thing become a big joke, residual values are destroyed, the cars develop an image for being worthless and downmarket. Not sure of the ins and outs of it - would dealers have been instructed by Citroen not to give massive discounts in the C6. Could Citroen even do this?

I think they don't really care about the UK and Irish markets anyway as they have admitted that the C6 won't sell in these markets.

Citroen's image has really taken a hammering in recent years though. Contrast that with 1993 when the Xantia was introduced. At the time the British press were falling over themselves to praise it. Not just for its looks comfort and diesel engines but for its build quality too. I think residual values were pretty good for the Xantia for the first few years too.

Citroen are offering cashback, paying your VAT, giving free insurance, and doing anything else possible to get people into their cars.
    The new cars are selling purely on price, so if Citroen stop offering these incentives, nobody in their right mind will buy one.

What is PAG?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Eh, brainfart, I meant PSA...

Don't know if you can blame the Professional Actors Guild for Citroens!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

pburns wrote:
    Was driving behind a Xantia yesterday & it struck me how handsome & classy it is compared to the C5.

PAG have made a dog's dinner of the Citroen brand in the last 10/12 years. Citroen has become the groups budget brand - every second skanger I see is driving a Saxo & even a desirable car like the C4 is being heavily discounted. The reliability is dreadful too. Autocars long-term C4 is a POS...

Love the C6, really do, but even at 10/15 grand less it's never gonna be a sensible place for your money

This was done purposely by PSA, make Peugeot the more 'premium' brand and Citroen it's cheaper cousin. Lots of marques around the world do this....Ford/Mercury and even VW/Skoda but that could be classed as a whole different relationship since companies in the VAG group tend to be somewhat autonomous.

I remember a few years back of a press release specifying this relationship between Peugeot and Citroen.

Where the shooting in the foot comes then is if Citroen position themselves as budget car makers and then come out with an ultra luxurious barge, they are already in the wrong market as a brand for this sort of pricing. Even for Peugeot, the 607 is too expensive and for Citroen to price their C6 even above this doesn't make much sense. Brand savvy purchasers won't buy in to Citroen's poorer image. This is the type of opportunity Toyota took when creating Lexus. Separate economy from luxury.

Maybe PSA should have a rethink about top end cars by doing a Toyota and inventing a new marque with a seperate discreet marketing arm and dealers.

Mike.

People buy Lexus because of 16 or so years of reliability, and an evolution from large executive barge to drivers cars like the GS or IS. Toyota had a bottomless pit of money to ensure that Lexus succeeded. PSA simply can't afford to do this.

Renault sell as many cars as Peugeot and Citroen combined, and PSA don't need a luxury car to make money, they need to continuously come up with imaginative small cars, something they're not quite getting right (Peugeot 207 etc)

In 2004 PSA sold 3.3 million units and Renault 2.2 million approx in 2005 while Nissan sold 3,597,748 though I presume they keep the accounts seperate. The whole Renualt/Nissan group sold 6.1
    million.

Old Pugs never die

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 semi

colm_mcm wrote:
    What is PAG?

Apols... I meant PSA... it was very late...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

I regularly read posts saying X amount of a particular vehicle are registered. Is there a way of legally finding out this information or is it 'insider' knowledge?

Insider knowledge im afraid. Neither garda nor tax office though. Distributor SIMI info.

Advertisement