Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you pronounce Thompson

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

My surname is Thompson and its prounounced with a 'Th', so debate over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

SebtheBum wrote:
    Concur.
    Anyone ever heard someone pronounce the 'TH' sound in Thomas? It's just dumb.

Yes. Many, many times. Is it becoming less common in Ireland do you think/tink/fink (delete as appropriate)?
    SebtheBum wrote:
    Must be an Irish thing...

Yep. AFAIK, pronouncing the h's in th that the English would leave silent is not just a Cork thing.

On a related note, I think/tink/fink (delete as appropriate) there was a thread/tread/fred (delete as appropriate) on here a few weeks ago on the "correct" way to pronounce surnames like "Dockerty" and "Toybin"...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Giblet wrote:
    Well there is a difference between dialect and how things are supposed to sound. There's no "right" way when it comes to it really because of all the dialects, but you can't say that "it should be pronounced like this" when you are only going by your own dialect.

Exunctly and when dealing with a dialect like Hiberno-English you need to forget the "proper" British pronounciation quite a lot of the time. However, if the word is distinctly British, like Thames, then yes the British pronounciation should be applied (kinda, not strictly but it's a pretty common convention).

Anyways, moved to English. :)

Oh and OP, there are many reasons why said pronounciation is common in Cork, but you are overgeneralising the accent, which you should know if you live here. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

On the general subject of pronunciation ..why do Dubliners prononounce "o" as "u"... " I'm going to Dunnigal on me holidays" or "I'm goin out to visit me auntie in Dunnycarney"

It's "O" Donegal....... all together .......Donegal

Thank you

Advertisement