Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you pronounce Thompson

Options
  • 22-06-2006 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I live in Cork, people here cant seem to pronounce words begining in 'TH'. EG. The surname 'Thompson', most prounounce the TH as in thumb so it sounds 'thumb-son' it should be 'tom-son' - whats the deal, I even hear it on radio.

X.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Thompson. Easy as. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Thomp - son.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

xabi wrote:
    Hi,

I live in Cork, people here cant seem to pronounce words begining in 'TH'. EG. The surname 'Thompson', most prounounce the TH as in thumb so it sounds 'thumb-son' it should be 'tom-son' - whats the deal, I even hear it on radio.

X.

Enunciation of the H in TH is just a remaining quirk of the Irish version of the English language you may have to learn to live with until exposure to US/UK media finally wipes it out.

I know it can be annoying when applied to proper names like "Thompson" (especially if it is your name), but please don't shoot us for it!:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Tomp-son

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Lady_Macbeth

There are three words in the English language that begin with 'th-' but are pronounced as just 't-'. They are Thompson, Thames (River in London) and thyme. These are the only exceptions to the "th-" sound rule.

Ohh, I am a grammar fascist! Boo yeah! :D

P.S. And Thomas. So that's four. Hmmm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

Thailand?

xabi wrote:
    Thailand?

Or as we say in Cork 'Thigh-Land'

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

Thomond Park?

Thomond Park?

The 'TH-' should be pronounced in Thomond.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

there are three words in the English language that begin with "th-" but are pronounced as just, "t-". They are Thompson, Thames (River in London) and thyme. These are the only exceptions to the "th-" sound rule.
    Ohh, I am a grammar fascist! Boo yeah! :D

There is also Thamesmead which makes four :D

(Saying as you are a grammar fascist, I'd also like to point out that your comma after 'just' is unnecessary:p ).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

Thom-son.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Angels

Not all people of Cork speak the same way (thanks for being so general in your post). If it annoys you just move county!!

el tel wrote:
    There is also Thamesmead which makes four :D

(Saying as you are a grammar fascist, I'd also like to point out that your comma after 'just' is unnecessary:p ).
    Also the way he started the post with a lower-case letter.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Would it not just be simpler to educate the Corkies instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,484 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I thought it would be about pronouncing the P. The 't' sound is a given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

G'way with yer fancy "TH":) , I pronouce it Tomp-son.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

is it lorry or lurry

the lurry people should stay quiet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Tomsin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Angels

Maximilian wrote:
    Would it not just be simpler to educate the Corkies instead?
    Ah that would be Corkonians ya flippin twit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Ruu wrote:
    G'way with yer fancy "TH":) , I pronouce it Tomp-son.
    Concur.
    Anyone ever heard someone pronounce the 'TH' sound in Thomas? It's just dumb.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Lady_Macbeth

el tel wrote:

I have amended my original post and corrected the unnecessary evils that littered it. Unfortunately, you failed to recognise that I used double quotation marks instead of single ones for 'th-' on two occasions: a crime!

And, seeing as you are such a pedantic pedant (!), I would also like to point out that it is 'seeing as...' rather than "saying as...," which you used in your post. But the positioning of your full stop, at the exterior of the parenthesis, is simply ludicrous! The sentence within the parentheses was whole and entire in its own right, and therefore the full stop should have been placed inside the final parenthesis. :o:p:o:p:o:p

P.S. Have you read, "Eats, Shoots and Leaves"? It's a must!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

Linger or Langer :D

SebtheBum wrote:
    Concur.
    Anyone ever heard someone pronounce the 'TH' sound in Thomas? It's just dumb.
    Tomass? You must be joking...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Th, doesn't sound like F or T, but rather a mixture.

So it's not Fompson, to tom-son. And The isn't deh!

Tfh, Tfh, Tfh!

Learn how to speak.

BMH wrote:
    Tomass? You must be joking...
    Dunno where on earth you got the second 's' from - clearly you are unable to read, as well as being unable to pronounce things correctly. Good luck in life.
    Giblet wrote:
    Tfh, Tfh, Tfh!
    Um...
    What?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

any Thomas I've ever met has pronounced it 'th'

the Shades wrote:
    any Thomas I've ever met has pronounced it 'th'
    Are you serious?

Must be an Irish thing...

EDIT: Although, having said that, I've lived here 16 years and the few Irish Thomas' I've known hav pronounced it 'T' so... *shrugs*

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Well there is a difference between dialect and how things are supposed to sound. There's no "right" way when it comes to it really because of all the dialects, but you can't say that "it should be pronounced like this" when you are only going by your own dialect.

Giblet wrote:
    Well there is a difference between dialect and how things are supposed to sound. There's no "right" way when it comes to it really because of all the dialects, but you can't say that "it should be pronounced like this" when you are only going by your own dialect.
    Yeah that's very true, I was just enjoying the argument tbh.
    It's especially accurate given the evolution of language historically - the way we (most of us) pronounce words now, and even the words themselves, bear very little relation to the vocabulary and pronunciation of words in centuries past...

• Advertisement

SebtheBum wrote:
    Dunno where on earth you got the second 's' from - clearly you are unable to read, as well as being unable to pronounce things correctly. Good luck in life.
    I was pronouncing it phonetically, like almost every other poster did in the thread. There is no such thing as pronouncing something correctly as was also stating several times in this thread. Good luck in life being so arrogant and short-sighted.

Advertisement