Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting off

Options
  • 21-06-2006 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

How much would i be lookin at for a decent starter car, where would i get it? Thanks for your all your help, myself and my brother are quite entusiastic about startin this

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

are you looking for on or off road? porbably looking in the 400-500 range for a good off raoder :) maybe less, I was guesstimating
    then again you can always go electric drifting which isnt very much :) maybe €150 tops for the car + radion gear + abs tires :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Hi bud,
    And welcome to the best forum on Boards.ie :D

OK,
    To start off we would need to know what area you want to get involved in?
    would it be
    Touring cars
    Monster Trucks
    Flying?
    etc.

Also
    is it Electric,Nitro or Petrol models you have in mind?
    If you give us a few more details we can define which model might suit you best and aslo give you a rough guide price.

Also
    Where are you from?
    are there any clubs in your area?

Cheers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭riddik

sorry yeah that was stupid of me to leave out, interested in touring cars i suppose, either Nitro or Petrol depending on recommendations i get here. probably whichever is the cheaper of the two[petrol?] as i havent a whole lot of money to spend just yet, startin back to work in september probably so i can invest more then.

im in knocklyon templeogue, dublin 16, which is close to rathfarnham or tallaght. i dont know of any clubs nearby to be honest but im sure theres a few up the mountains or something like that

thank you for your quick reply btw! appreciate your help

What about THIS ONE:D

yeah i was actually lookin at that one, i sent him a pm because i didn want to start making offers on that thread and i couldn't find it in the fs forum. you think its a good start?

thanks man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Yeah thats a very good car;) :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

riddik wrote:
    ... interested in touring cars i suppose, either Nitro or Petrol depending on recommendations ...... in knocklyon templeogue, dublin 16, which is close to rathfarnham or tallaght. i dont know of any clubs nearby ..... appreciate your help
    Welcome to boards! As it happens I am in Templeogue too.
    I mainly fly planes but for nitro cars the nearest places are right on your doorstep :)
    We go to Tymon Park at Limekiln since recently, also Marley Park at the BMX track with our offroaders. I think Tymon is nicer. there is also a nice place at Orwell, Rathgar.
    We (not me personally - I'm not into rally) go to Tymon Park, at the Penny Black Inn (other side of M50 near the Cuckoos Nest on the Greenhills Road, Tallaght) with rally cars. Some people also use the outer carpark at the Spawell for rally cars.
    The nearest model and hobby shop to where you live in Dublin that does cars is Green Hobby & Model in Harolds Cross www.greenhobbymodel.com (2006 cars going on their website later this week - probably tomorrow Friday) and they are the Carson importers, but they also have parts for many types.
    Nitro vs petrol:
    In the cheaper (smaller) sizes you need to consider nitro engines, since petrol is mainly reserved for the very big 1:5 size models and these cost a lot more.
    On-road vs offroad:

You will find a lot more places where an offroad vehicle can be used, since a buggy can also go on-road too as well as on grass. But the rally car cannot go on grass. SO I would suggest buggies, but if you are mainly into rally style go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭mugenextreme

Hey riddik , are you interested in racing these cars or is it just for bashing around in car parks. There would be a big difference depending on what you where looking to do with them. Coolwing has a point to about buggies, these are relatively similar in price to most rtr touring cars but also give you more freedom as they car drive off road unlike the cars which really need good flat tramac to run on preferably with no stones.
    Club i am in run both 1/10 and 1/8 scale nitro cars , with the most popular brands being serpent , kyosho , mugen and tecknokit. Price for a full on race spec car can take your breath away i would have to say, i know my pockets have been empty a few times over this sport. If you would rather take it handy and just bash about reckon for a new car you are looking at about say 350 to 500 ish range for a reasonable rtr 1/10 car. I started with a Hpi rs4 which is now the evo3 i think its for sale in halfords , parts and hop ups are avalible from halfords (takes a bit of time to come in) or boyztoys santry. also loads of shops on the internet stock these parts. You also have the tornado not to bad similar to the hpi, cen its cheaper not as good a build quality as the others from what i remember, i would spend that little bit more as you would get a better quality package. Cant comment on any others as i dont have any experence of them i am afraid.

here is a link to my club website , some pics here of the track we run on which is located in dublin 5 Raheny. If you got transport and would like to check it out on a race day we should be running sunday week, 2th july from about 11:30 till 4 ish
    www.orcaireland.com

coolwings - well im lookin at this car vectra pointed at for 200, which is about as much as i have to spend, if that falls through i'd look at off roaders, what price do they start at second hand are do they sell much second hand? i looked at that site u said n 400 is a bit much for me yet. Thanks for the help

mugen - at first it'd be just messin around wit it on the road or sumtin, but eventually id like to race them yeah. So where i'm lookin for as cheap a car as possible, id stretch a bit for something actually useful and can be improved and so forth. thanx for the invitation but im in canada at the moment, wont be back for it, i saw u hav some open days late july and through august, maybe i cud pop down to one of them? Thanks man

Open days are just for practice for anyone who wants it. you would generally find a few people there around 12ish race day is what you want. i posted in the previous about so cars i would use for bashing. unforunately from my experience these rtr would not match the cars we run today and generally its a case of picking a basher or a racer spec budget being a big factor for most. If you wanted something second hand i could get you in touch with a fella who has some cars i am sure he would sale off. alternatively if you come to the track i can organise to me you there and have him bring a car or 2 for a view. Both the same cars traxxas 4-tec , spares still availible online or planetfun in dublin might be handy to get you both started with the same kit. just a idea.

• Advertisement

wow thats great thanx, do u think i shouldn't bother with the one vectra posted above?

riddik wrote:
    wow thats great thanx, do u think i shouldn't bother with the one vectra posted above?

My choice would be the Traxxas 4tec..
    Same engine as the T-Maxx/Revo.. ;)

Cant go wrong

so dont bother with the one for 200 so? how much do u think one of those would be second hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭goldwing

you said your in Canada right? why don't you buy one over there and bring it back over here with you. it would be a hell of alot cheaper!!

yeah in toronto! il check that out actually, i havent seen ne shops on any of the major streets but il look up the net now, good idea!!

if hes in canada couldnt he get stuff from towerhobbies , shipping should be cheap as you are technically in the USA/ america.

yeah just checked tower and it 304.99 for the hpi evo and the traxxas 4-tec ready to run, worth a look, dollars

mugen - cheers, this one here?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJE05**&P=0

is there anything else i need to buy with it tho?

riddik wrote:
    mugen - cheers, this one here?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJE05**&P=0

is there anything else i need to buy with it tho?

I'am not trying to be smart or anything but don't buy nitro or any spray paint's because they wont be allowed on the plane. you could get a few spares glow plugs etc.

goldwing wrote:
    I'am not trying to be smart or anything but don't buy nitro or any spray paint's because they wont be allowed on the plane. you could get a few spares glow plugs etc.
    You might find that bringing a model (weight) car or truck or buggy on the plane could cause one of those "passenger baggage excess surcharges" to be applied.

• Advertisement

Goldwing brought his revo 3.3 on the plane with him, no trouble there I don't think:)

If you are flying home from the USA I dont reccomend you bring home a model, since febuary they search everyones cases? they make you buy special TSA locks, and my I was trying to get my mate to bring one back for himself, but he cant they dont allow them on the plane (the glow-fuel engines)!

Flunked wrote:
    but he cant they dont allow them on the plane (the glow-fuel engines)!
    Are you sure?

Flunked wrote:
    If you are flying home from the USA I dont reccomend you bring home a model, since febuary they search everyones cases? they make you buy special TSA locks, and my I was trying to get my mate to bring one back for himself, but he cant they dont allow them on the plane (the glow-fuel engines)!

how wrong you are:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭liamo333

Going to Italy tomorrow... Can i bring glowfuel and my car and radio stuff with me?

You can bring everything except glowfuel. You could get some good stuff over there anyway:)

Goldwing: when did you go/come home the law came since febuary and yes i could be wrong...

Flunked wrote:
    Goldwing: when did you go/come home the law came since febuary and yes i could be wrong...
    I brought my REVO 3.3 home from Florida in April no questions asked didn't eve have to open the box plus if riddik is getin a touring car the box would be alot smaller.

so goldwing got away wit it, but technically it isnt allowed? my money levels say i gotta buy something second hand anyway! dont really no where to start lookin for second hand cars here, i mite just wait til im home

• Advertisement

riddik wrote:
    .... dont really no where to start lookin for second hand cars here ....
    Used cars ..... Green Hobby don't sell secondhand cars but they do have a bulletin board in the shop and their customers sell secondhand nitro cars, engines and airplanes by direct private sale on the bulletin board.
    I know there is an offroader on it at the moment, cos I was thinking about buying it, (didn't - got a Specter instead) but I haven't a clue if there are any rally cars on it right now. You could ring and ask, I suppose.

Then of course there's always the Buy and Sell newspaper which usually has a couple of ads. But you would want to be careful buying there - it is one of the places where "lemons" turn up. There is some good stuff mixed in among the others though.

Advertisement