Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increase in Garda checkpoints

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

i came across 2 checkpoints on the N11 in wexford a couple of weeks ago. this is fair enough but they'd chosen to do them bang in the middle of a couple of long straight 100km/h sections with no advance warning signs. it was as if they were trying to cause accidents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

loyatemu wrote:
    i came across 2 checkpoints on the N11 in wexford a couple of weeks ago. this is fair enough but they'd chosen to do them bang in the middle of a couple of long straight 100km/h sections with no advance warning signs. it was as if they were trying to cause accidents.

If it is a long straight section wouldnt you be able to see them a mile off? think your avatar says alot about your eye sight if you couldnt see them.

Just got this in my mail
    I was doing a broadband wireless install last week for a Garda from the
    Traffic Corps. While I was there, he told me that starting Saturday 1st
    July, they will launch a 30 day speeding ticket frenzy. The state
    estimates that over e250,000 will be generated in speeding tickets.
    100,000 will go to pay Garda over time.
    There will 50 Gardai on duty at all times patrolling on the following:

M7/N7 from Naas to Portlaoise
    N4 to Mullingar from Dublin
    N6 to Athlone
    N81 to Baltinglass
    N11 to Wexford
    M50
    Dublin - Drogheda

Their will be additional Gardai assigned to 'flying squads' - mobile
    units to patrol all other routes in Dublin, Wicklow, Kildare, Meath,
    Laois, Westmeath, Offaly, Louth and Kilkenny

I'm warning everyone now that 5 kmph above the limit can justify a
    ticket and every Garda is supposed to pull a car over and write a ticket
    every 20 minutes.
    They have issued brand new unmarked cars. If you must take one of these
    main routes, or surrounding roads beware. It's up to you how fast you
    go. I was told Today FM confirmed all of this(off the record). So be
    safe and don't forget speeding tickets are on you. You've been warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭andrew_ireland

I've seen this on these forums before- if you look at it, there's a huge amount of data i.e road names, counties and all sorts of different facts and figures. Unless the author of this eMail has some amazing memory no-one could remember all that info during a casual chat...............

I've seen this on these forums before- if you look at it, there's a huge amount of data i.e road names, counties and all sorts of different facts and figures. Unless the author of this eMail has some amazing memory no-one could remember all that info during a casual chat...............

Havent a clue myself but said I would post!! not putting up name who I got it off but original mail came form some guy in Nationallighting.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

i concur... smells of s#it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Big Nelly wrote:
    Havent a clue myself but said I would post!! not putting up name who I got it off but original mail came form some guy in Nationallighting.ie

oh! well they'd know :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Someone over on After Hours posted this reference from Snopes.com ...

http://www.snopes.com/politics/traffic/speeding.asp

Look familiar? :) Complete bullsh!t, as expected.

Savman wrote:
    oh! well they'd know :rolleyes:

oh
    looks like we do,

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They're still in the midst of a massive operation to try crack down on organised crime, particularly with the recent spate of shootings.

Stopped at a checkpoint in Lucan last night, and a special branch mate happened to be there. Was chatting to him briefly before they got a call and had leg it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

That mail could be sent out by themselves as a sort of propoganda stunt to make people believe it will happen while they'll actually be off drinking tea and hiding from the baddies etc.

Otherwise it is proof of my theory that the speed camera lark is nothing other than a revenue generating device designed speciffically to target the already way over taxed motoring public of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

A garda checkpoint was setup at Jack Whites Cross last weekend, as my dad was saying.
    He told me it looked like a routine tax stop, untill he seen a speeding megane coming towards the checkpoint. His initial reaction was that it was a speeder who was going to try and get past the checkpoint as he was driving down the hard shoulder towards them.
    But as it would at that speed, the car screeched on the brakes, causing some dust in the air, and low and behold, the guys in the red garda jackets get out of the car, go to the boot and take out the guns.
    I dont know, nor does my dad know, but he either thinks they were showing off by speeding like that or expecting someone or something to happen.

Sparky-s wrote:
    A garda checkpoint was setup at Jack Whites Cross last weekend, as my dad was saying.
    He told me it looked like a routine tax stop, untill he seen a speeding megane coming towards the checkpoint. His initial reaction was that it was a speeder who was going to try and get past the checkpoint as he was driving down the hard shoulder towards them.
    But as it would at that speed, the car screeched on the brakes, causing some dust in the air, and low and behold, the guys in the red garda jackets get out of the car, go to the boot and take out the guns.
    I dont know, nor does my dad know, but he either thinks they were showing off by speeding like that or expecting someone or something to happen.

wouldn't ya love to throw them into a real situation, to see how they react.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I was stopped at a large one on parnell square on saturday night, as it turned out they were looking for info on the murder in O'connell street the previous week.Problem was they filled out a large form with all my details, everything, car details, address, dob? and then asked me was I working between 2 and 4 last saturday.I wasn't, ah drive on so, he says.If he had asked me that at the beginning the tailback behind me wouldn't have been so long. I have no problem with been stopped, it just seems to me that the guards put very little thought into where they have their checkpoints,in regards to Dublin anyway.Productivity doesn't seem to be a prority with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

wouldn't ya love to throw them into a real situation, to see how they react.
    Lots of gardai could be hurt in such circumstances. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Victor wrote:
    Lots of gardai could be hurt in such circumstances. :D

And if they dont end up shooting you or one of the public, it's themselfs. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Sparky-s wrote:

They were probably just after watching the "Professionals" or something on the tv.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Prehaps it was an urgent donut delivery?

Advertisement