Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is it normal for a brand new diesel.....

Options
  • 18-06-2006 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

....to blow clouds of black smoke? I was coming up to the entrance to the mill pub in tallaght just now and a brand new 2.0 tdi passat (reg was 06-D-4***8 so it was brand new) pulled into traffic in front of me. As he accelerated a big plume of black smoke came from the exhaust. I was behind him for about 1/2 a mile and small bits of black smoke were coming out as he accelerated and again a pretty big plume as he accelerated off a speed bump.

He may well have been in the pub all day so the engine could have been cold, would that make a difference?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

Stekelly wrote:
    ....to blow clouds of black smoke? I was coming up to the entrance to the mill pub in tallaght just now and a brand new 2.0 tdi passat (reg was 06-D-47778 so it was brand new) pulled into traffic in front of me. As he accelerated a big plume of black smoke came from the exhaust. I was behind him for about 1/2 a mile and small bits of black smoke were coming out as he accelerated and again a pretty big plume as he accelerated off a speed bump.

He may well have been in the pub all day so the engine could have been cold, would that make a difference?

Thats normal with all diesels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

$Leon$ wrote:

well not all.....

http://www.swedespeed.com/news/publish/Features/printer_272.html

but yeah normal for all volkswagon diesels

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

To the OP.......

Perhaps you might consider editing your post to delete either the reg number of the car or the reference of the possibility of being in the pub all day (or both) for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭maidhc

$Leon$ wrote:

It most certainly isnt!

My grandfathers Passat does it in second gear though, and the garage says there is nothing wrong (or shall I rephrase "the computer says no"). I don't believe a word of it though. The reality is though you should only be seeing smoke when you start up and when you really cane the crap out of it. Excess smoke is normally a symptom of a clogged EGR valve, or worse.

I have never seen smoke from an Avensis D4D under any condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

VW TDI engines are quite clean and normally only emit black smoke under full throttle. I'd imagine that someting is amiss with the engine or its electronic control. The whole point of modern diesel engine design is to reduce soot and pollutants. As its a 2006 model and under warranty then a VW dealer can do a 'smoke test' which measures exhaust gas content. Usually black smoke is a sign of too much fuel entering the combustion chamber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Well not that I condone usin reg no's on a forum, but he didn't say the guy consumed alcohol, if he did, is it not only fair that he be exposed....

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Avns1s wrote:
    To the OP.......
    of the possibility of being in the pub all day (or both) for obvious reasons.

dont judge everyone by your own actions. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

i've heard of people who actually work in pubs, they don't drink while they are there, and then when they finish work they drive home in a car :rolleyes:

Stekelly wrote:
    dont judge everyone by your own actions. :D

Suit yourself. The insinuation is there from the way you wrote your post even if it's not what you intended.

Would you like your reg no. and that comment to appear in public. If that were my number, you wouldn't be very popular with me!

Avns1s wrote:
    Suit yourself. The insinuation is there from the way you wrote your post even if it's not what you intended.

Would you like your reg no. and that comment to appear in public. If that were my number, you wouldn't be very popular with me!

Perhaps the Mod's might care to comment on this.

Dont get in a strop, did you miss the smilie?

TBh if my car was blowing plumes of black smoke after I just paid the guts of €35k for it and it wasnt supposed to, I'd like to know (assuming I hadnt noticed)
    Anyway, any person on the street can read a reg off a car. If he had something to hide, driving to the pub wouldnt be the cleverest thing anyway. Plus I cant see the gards knocking round asking if he was inthe pub drinking last tuesday week then drove home. "yes gard, ya got me, how'd ye figure it out, lock me up"

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote:
    Dont get in a strop, did you miss the smilie?

TBh if my car was blowing plumes of black smoke after I just paid the guts of €35k for it and it wasnt supposed to, I'd like to know (assuming I hadnt noticed)
    Anyway, any person on the street can read a reg off a car. If he had something to hide, driving to the pub wouldnt be the cleverest thing anyway. Plus I cant see the gards knocking round asking if he was inthe pub drinking last tuesday week then drove home. "yes gard, ya got me, how'd ye figure it out, lock me up"

Thanks Stekelly. All friends again!:)

Avns1s wrote:
    Thanks Stekelly. All friends again!:)

Go on so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

VW dealers will tell you any problem is normal with VWs anyway, like the Golfs that drink 2 ltrs of oil between services or the Passats that windows open and close on their own or the Polos that gearboxes disintegrate at 100k miles. Thats because anyone who know about VWs know that they are rubbish.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Funnily enough I was gonna make a thread about this about a week ago, I noticed in my dads passat ( 05 Tdi ) That when he put the boot down there would be plumes of black smoke from the exhasut. But thats only when he put the foot down. Normal driving it doesnt, But I noticed black smoke several times when i start it. Its just a heavy diesel smell from the smoke, Incase people think its oil thats being burnt. I'm begining to wonder is this normal for VW Tdi's. :confused: ?

Hj

Well this guy wouldnt have been accelerating hard. Pretty standard acceleration off the speed ramp and out of the turn into traffic.

Well yeah I know what you mean.

I noticed by obvserving my da's that if you look at the exhaust there is a small bit of smoke coming from it through out normal driving but nothing OTT.

But a few times we have really put the boot down which was leaving the cars behind us in a cloud of smoke. Really dirty smoke.. Diesel burning smoke.

@ junkyard, If I read what you said correctly.. I would have to disagree. But I can't really argue, I'm sure you know alot more about motors then me. But I will argue that VW's aren't **** boxes. But I would agree they aren't the quality some people think they are. They are a faily average car tbh with just a good range or cars offering stylish looks and a good spec car if you're willing to pay the price but nothing too extravagant, also offering fair reliability - From what I can see and experienced.

Hj

HungryJoey wrote:
    Well yeah I know what you mean.

I noticed by obvserving my da's that if you look at the exhaust there is a small bit of smoke coming from it through out normal driving but nothing OTT.

But a few times we have really put the boot down which was leaving the cars behind us in a cloud of smoke. Really dirty smoke.. Diesel burning smoke.

@ junkyard, If I read what you said correctly.. I would have to disagree. But I can't really argue, I'm sure you know alot more about motors then me. But I will argue that VW's aren't **** boxes. But I would agree they aren't the quality some people think they are. They are a faily average car tbh with just a good range or cars offering stylish looks and a good spec car if you're willing to pay the price but nothing too extravagant, also offering fair reliability - From what I can see and experienced.

Hj
    I was a big fan of Audi/VW for years, up to the early to mid 90's anyway. The older cars were just brilliant, simple to work on and so straightforward. I think the big downward spiral happened when they started getting hi-tech. If you look at the components they use nowadays they seem to, me anyway, to be unnecessarily complex and fail at a very high rate due to poor quality. So the end result is breakdowns and unreliability which is not acceptable in my view in this day and age.

Well tbh junkyard, I have to say. Prior to my dads Passat, He drove a laguna.. Knows to be full up with useful/useless gadgets. Now lets be honest.. Thats a recipe for disaster. Get into the Passat after that and you reaslise the most fancy thing in it to go wrong is the Climate control. After that, It really doesnt get to technical. In saying that, I've been in the new Passat and that really is a step up with its gadgets. Really isn't the same car as the older passats use to be. ITs just too luxurious, Too many gadgets. Now lets see how reliable they turn out to be in a year or too. But being honest the 05- models are still quite basic cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Well I'm relieved to hear that it's normal for a diesel to blow a bit of smoke,oh wait, is IT? my camry blows a bit when I floor it, doesn't blow any when ideling, I'm not sure when i start up because I'm in it.

Well they wont idling, But I was saying during normal driving if you look at the top of the exhasusts on alot of passats with will see a bit of smoke. But when you really floor it you can see it in you're rear view mirror it might blow out so much.

I'm wondering is it dirty/cheap diesel or is there no such things as that thesedays ? Also.. Could it be something to do with the turbo ? Hearing something on the " Used Car Road show " Check you're car if it has a turbo see if there's any smoke coming out of the exhaust " But he didn't go into great detail at all about what and how the turbo may be linked to smoke. I don't know :confused:

Hj

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭andrew_ireland

Would it be possible that because the car was new that the piston rings hadn't quite settled in yet and it was letting a little oil pass into the combustion chamber?

Would it be possible that because the car was new that the piston rings hadn't quite settled in yet and it was letting a little oil pass into the combustion chamber?

Then the smoke would normally have a bluish tinge, straight black smoke is diesel being burnt.

I'm amazed to hear the smoking seems common enough on new VWs, and it is equally dissappointing. How exactly do they plan to fit a DPF that won't clog on a visit to the shops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

It depends on how much the OP saw but in fairness, most if not all modern diesels give off a bit of smoke when you put the boot down.

I had a remapped VAG TDI to near 180bhp and at night the smoke it would give off when you put the boot down was half the fun.

Just spotted a few Passats today, Including an auto Tdi. Them too were throwing off some smoke.

Hj

Big Balls wrote:
    I had a remapped VAG TDI to near 180bhp and at night the smoke it would give off when you put the boot down was half the fun.

Can the driver following actually see that smoke though? I suspect not, and I read somewhere that what you are seeing is the soot/particualtes being reflected or whatnot by the lights following you. I am open to correction though.

No the driver can see... Looking through you're rear view, If you're moving you can see the black smoke being left in the air as you pull away.

Hj

HungryJoey wrote:
    Well tbh junkyard, I have to say. Prior to my dads Passat, He drove a laguna.. Knows to be full up with useful/useless gadgets. Now lets be honest.. Thats a recipe for disaster. Get into the Passat after that and you reaslise the most fancy thing in it to go wrong is the Climate control. After that, It really doesnt get to technical. In saying that, I've been in the new Passat and that really is a step up with its gadgets. Really isn't the same car as the older passats use to be. ITs just too luxurious, Too many gadgets. Now lets see how reliable they turn out to be in a year or too. But being honest the 05- models are still quite basic cars.

What I mean by hi-tech is the way they have taken simple components like door locks and central locking mechanisms and electrified them, adding sensors and the like, to them and made things complicated. These components are made mostly of plastic and fail on a regular basis. A case and point being the boot lock on a 98-01 Passat, has anyone here fitted one?
    Its one of the most complicated door locks I have ever seen in my life and its a case of hit and miss as to whether or not its going to work. My argument being if this lock was like the lock in an older Passat it wouldn't have broken in the first place and it would have been simple to fit. Sorry for the rant.

HungryJoey wrote:
    No the driver can see... Looking through you're rear view, If you're moving you can see the black smoke being left in the air as you pull away.

Hj

Sorry, I phrased that badly, I meant could the general public see the smoke. I used to see that smoke a lot in my mondeo in the rear mirror at night, but the few times I followed it in a different car I never noticed anything much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

It depends what the lights of the car behind are shining onto I suppose. If it's night and you're a few cars in front, their lights are just shining into the darkness so smoke is not that obvious I would've thought but again, if you look specifically for it you'll see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

If they emit black smoke when the boot is put down then why not just try driving with the boot open?

I'll get me coat...

Advertisement