Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Military Photos

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I believe that was reasonably common during the War of Independence.

There is a thread on the militaria forum about the medals of one Irish man who fought in Passchendaele, the Somme and the IRA.

Another example that springs to mind are the 2 IRA men who executed Field Marshall Sir Henry Wilson in Belgravia square, London.

Both were former british army. One had previously lost a leg at Ypres. This is possibly why he was caught as he had to hobble away & his colleague refused to leave him behind. Both were later executed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Just thought this one might be interesting.

Whilst filming a little bit of Grangegorman Military Cemetery the gun's of 2 Fld Artillery Regiment started their rehearsals for the inauguration of Michael D Higgins as president.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭alanmcqueen

4 FAR are performing the salute from Collin's Barracks I understand. Worth a look for anyone who can get there by 1100hrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

4 FAR are performing the salute from Collin's Barracks I understand. Worth a look for anyone who can get there by 1100hrs.

The gun's are over looking The Liffey, it'll be pretty impressive when the salute begins.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

bvD0V.jpg

end of a through-deck cruiser

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

bvD0V.jpg

end of a through-deck cruiser

That's a really sad picture. Which one was she?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

HMS Invincible.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's interesting in that you can see how it was constructed.

HMS Invincible, Aliaga if you want to look for pics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭trendyvicar

Came across the following heart breaking photographs whilst browsing - they show L.O.L (Loyal Orange Lodge) 862 before and after the battle of The Somme:

LOL_862_before_the_somme.jpg

LOL862_after_the_somme.jpg

In fact, the rest of the site is pretty good:

http://www.freewebs.com/thewestbelfastvolunteers/inmemory.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭trendyvicar

Ulster Defence Regiment

udr_44762s.jpg

No words necessary - no words sufficient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

Here's some video of the shoot. It was an awful day but the 4th FAR did a very impressive job

http://youtu.be/C1_He3iigcY

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭alanmcqueen

http://www.irishtimes.com/indepth/slideshows/military-archives/

Collection of pics from Military Archives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

they have mistaken a hurricane for a spitfire in the voice over.

USS_Missouri_Tokyo_Bay.jpgClearly shows the size of a battleship compared to a destroyer.

h96780.jpg

g190547.jpg
    on the other side of the pier;
    USS Croatan (CVE-25), and destroyers of the Fletcher and "Four-Pipe, Flush-Deck" classes at the next pier.

Kbecx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30 silentfox

Brilliant pics, keep them coming!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

Belfast 1969 :)

tumblr_m1591eBywJ1qc0cxpo1_500.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I was going through my old pics and found a few navy boats which I took about 8 or 9 years back.

205954.jpg

205955.jpg

205956.jpg

205957.jpg

205958.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

Amazing World War 2 era color pictures.

Here

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

acmatt.jpg

jeepv.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

delly wrote: »
    I was going through my old pics and found a few navy boats which I took about 8 or 9 years back.

I will have to dig up some of my portsmouth ones too, those bring back memories :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

V Bull wrote: »
    acmatt.jpg

jeepv.jpg

New Acmats for the secret squirrels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

New Acmats for the secret squirrels?

Wasn't there a tender put out a few months back for a small number of Tactical Support Vehicles or something along those lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

His white G-Shock is very subtle.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

kieranfitz wrote: »
    His white G-Shock is very subtle.

Only an officer type could wear that..well spotted..

img6640sg.jpg

If they're close enough to see his watch, he's ****ed anyway.

Plus, it's safe to say he doesn't wear it out on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Poccington wrote: »
    Plus, it's safe to say he doesn't wear it out on the ground.

Of course he wouldnt, it's his good watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Mainly noticed because im wearing the same one these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza

I'm thinking the driver is possibly ARW but the passo ain't, cud be wrong as always but just my 2 cents... didn't they get some of those spanish hummer knock offs not too long ago to replace the ford F350 pickups that were taken out of service cos of lack of roll protection (accidents while on overseas missions)...

• Advertisement

Mr. Tezza wrote: »
    I'm thinking the driver is possibly ARW but the passo ain't, cud be wrong as always but just my 2 cents... didn't they get some of those spanish hummer knock offs not too long ago to replace the ford F350 pickups that were taken out of service cos of lack of roll protection (accidents while on overseas missions)...

The vehicle accident was a Land Rover that overturned in Liberia, resulting in the death of an ARW member.

It was before they bought the Ford's, which are still in service.

Advertisement