Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Hip-Hop WC 2006

Options
  • 12-06-2006 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭

Since World Cup Fever Has hit, how about running our own version of it on this Forum?

Leave it open for a week for people to nominate rappers who they think should be in. Once theres 32 rappers nominated to choose from, I'll set up 8 groups, from those listed, and people can vote each day for who should win each match-up etc... and on through to knock-outs and the rest.

Think it should be limited to a max of 3-4 MCs per person, just to get a broader variety of people into it.

People up for it???

I'll put forward Pharoahe Monche, KRS-One & the GZA to get things started

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

Kool G Rap, Common, Aesop Rock, Styles P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Beefeater

Wordsworth, Immortal Technique, Saul Williams, Lif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

Doom, Chali 2Na, Guru, Black Thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

Vinny Paz, Apathy, Redman, Rakim

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Ras Kass,Nas,One Be Lo and J-Live.

Nice idea btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

CL Smooth, Masta Ace, Ghostface Killah, Biggie

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Sm0ke

jay Z, busta rhymes, 50 cent (wanna see him beat and abused :p), eminem

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Right had 31, so i've added Mos Def to the list to complete the line up.

Groups are as follows:
    Group A
    Pharoahe Monch
    Immortal Technique
    Apathy
    Masta Ace

Group B
    KRS-One
    Saul Williams
    Redman
    Ghostface

Group C
    GZA
    Mr Lif
    Rakim
    Notorious BIG

Group D
    Kool G Rap
    MF Doom
    Ras Kass
    Jay Z

Group E
    Common
    Chali 2na
    Nas
    Busta Rhymes

Group F
    Aesop Rock
    Guru
    One Be Lo
    50 Cent

Group G
    Styles P
    Black Thought
    J-Live
    Eminem

Group H
    Wordsworth
    Vinny Paz
    CL Smooth
    Mos Def

Right Thats the groups listed. If anyone is wondering how i did it, i just wrote down the list of artists and wrote a-h beside each name in a row till i got to the end (just so theres no accusations about group set ups).

First Fixtures to follow, one vote per person per match-up and matches are open for voting for 24 hours.

Might as well keep it in line with the WC so for the first day theres 2 fixtures, then 3 a day for rest of group stage. So today its:

Pharoahe Monch vs Immortal Technique

Apathy vs Masta Ace

Let the Voting Begin

Gonna vote for Pharoahe my self in the 1st one (orkanised Konfusion were excellent and Internal Affairs is a monster solo effort).

And Masta Ace in the 2nd. Apathy is pretty impressive and i like what i've heard of the demigodz but masta ace is a legend, great flow and delivery and some killer lines. Disposable arts is a classic.

(No need for explanations in general people, if you just wanna list your winners thats fine)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Monch purely for his insane brilliance with the painfully overlooked Organised Konfusion.

Masta Ace is one of the easiest MC's to listen to,great beat selection and could lyrical concepts.

Has to Technique in the first. After his next 2 albums i say will be looked upon as a legend.
    Masta Ace in the second.Outside bet to go far. Sure hes always played the underdog.

oh yeah, can there be draws???

Beefeater wrote:
    oh yeah, can there be draws???

Well each person has to pick a winner only in each match. if an equal number of votes are cast then the match is a draw yeah

Pharoah Monche 2-1 Immortal Technique

Apathy 0-3 Masta Ace

KRS-One vs Saul Williams

Redman vs Ghostface Killah

Gza vs Mr Lif

I'll go with KRS in the 1st one here, consistently influential for 20 years.

Ghostface in the 2nd, Ironman is a classic, and part of one of the greatest hip-hop dynasties

and again GZA in the 3rd, Lif is class, its actually a nightmare group this one, all four MCs are very strong in it. But Liquid Swords is definitely in my top albums ever list.

Saul in the 1st. maybe hes a poet rightly but f*ckit hes amazing.
    Redman in the second. His first 2/3 albums are classic.
    3rd is ver tough. Group of death along with H. I'll go with GZA, just about.

KRS-One vs Saul Williams

Redman vs Ghostface Killah

Gza vs Mr Lif

Krs easily

Ghostface.... this one was a tough one but my vote goes to ghostface. Single-handedly keeping the wu name alive whereas Reggie has been MIA for a while. my favourite redman lp vs fav ghostface, ghostface wins

Gza vs Lif

vote goes to Lif, because I love his style, and the production on all his releases. GZA has liquid swords, but thats 11 years ago now, hasnt even come close since.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

KRS, Ghostface and GZA for me. They're just better rappers and have all released at least one real classic album.

• Advertisement

KRS in the first. Saul Williams really doesn't come close to the BDP era KRS-One.

Ghostface in the second. Ironman is a classic, and Supreme Clientele is one of the most underrated albums ever. Redman is good but not as good.

GZA - Mr Lif is tough one. GZA has Liquid Swords and it's a classic (also Enter the Wu-Tang), but Beneath the Surface and Legend of the Liquid Swords aren't that great. Mr Lif has just consistently released quality albums and his Perceptionists work is great too. Mr Lif it is in the third.

KRS-1 4-1 Saul Williams

Redman 1-4 Ghostface Killah

GZA 3-2 Mr Lif

Some more toughies today

Rakim vs Notorius BIG

Kool G Rap vs MF Doom

Ras Kass vs Jay Z

These matches are all really close calls to me.

I think Rakim just edges it, by a hair in the first. Ready to die is a classic and biggie was amazing on the mic, but rakim has multiple classic albums and has had a much greater influence on Hip Hop imo.

going to go with Doom in the second. I think Hip-hop needs people like him putting out some amazing alternative stuff. Again Kool is excellent but Doom just edges it.

In the final round I'm going to go with Ras Kass, aside from reasonable doubt i'm not really a big fan of Jay Z's stuff and he has released some real clangers. Ras Kass is one of the top lyricists round at the moment and possible ever.

Rakim in the 1st. His influence is almost unparalleled.
    Doom in the 2nd. hes very important for hip hop at the moment.
    this is tough as ive not actually heard any kass albums but he is a good emcee. Reasonable doubt is the only time jigga touched magnificence. Goes to Kass

Rakim in the first, very few would even come close to his influence.

g Rap in the second, he's a legend, influenced so many as well. Doom though... he's so original and has crazy concepts. Nah vote = Kool G Rap

Jay-Z in the third. "CEO of Hip Hop" in that hewlett Packard ad says it all

Rakim. Legend enough said.
    MF Doom. Second to none at the moment imo.
    Jay-Z. Reasonable Doubt is a really good album. Ras Kass may be a better lyricist (well he is) but I prefer Jay-Z (choosing to ignore his crap).

Rakim 4-0 Notorius BIG

Kool G Rap 1-3 MF Doom

Ras Kass 2-2 Jay Z

Common vs Chali 2na

Nas vs Busta Rhymes

Aesop Rock vs Guru

• Advertisement

I won't be logged on most likely at the weekend so here are the saturday & sunday matches

Day 5

One Be Lo vs 50 Cent

Styles P vs Black Thought

J-Live vs Eminem

Day 6

Wordsworth vs Vinny Paz

CL Smooth vs Mos Def

Pharoah Monche vs Apathy

Advertisement