Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hazards of Belief

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

robindch wrote: »
    Nun gives birth to surprise baby after complaining of stomach pains

The nun belonged -- snigger, snigger - to the Missionary Sisters of the Love of Christ.

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/nun-gives-birth-to-surprise-baby-after-complaining-of-stomach-pains-30934639.html

The nuns say she's not a nun, but a "girl they were helping".

I don't think this story is as straightforward as it appears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

katydid wrote: »
    The nuns say she's not a nun, but a "girl they were helping".

I don't think this story is as straightforward as it appears.

I remember hearing a story about another pregnant nun a few years ago, where the woman in question kept claiming that she was still a virgin, but her sisters kept rubbishing the claim...and there I was laughing, because the religion doesn't have a leg to stand on when it comes to dismissing claims of virgin births!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

The nuns say she's not a nun, but a "girl they were helping". I don't think this story is as straightforward as it appears.
    The story says the nuns don't refer to her as a nun "possibly because she had not yet taken her vows". How hard is that to grasp?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Sure two grand wouldn't even get you past the begats when you are calling a mobile in Kenya :rolleyes:

Turns out it's the "byes" they can't get past ;)

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2015/01/27/bye-bye-bye-bye-made-up-bulk-of-phone-bill-claims-mulherin/

Another classic from WWNews.

The story says the nuns don't refer to her as a nun "possibly because she had not yet taken her vows". How hard is that to grasp?

Very simple. She's not a nun...

• Advertisement

Very simple. She's not a nun...
    She may not have taken her final vows, but to most people, a novice living in a convent, dressing up as a nun and generally adhering to most of the guiding rule -- though obviously not fairly important bit of it -- would constitute "a nun".

BTW, I'm applying logic here to reach a reasonable belief which I believe because I want to believe it. I trust this clarifies my position :)

She may not have taken her final vows, but to most people, a novice living in a convent, dressing up as a nun and generally adhering to most of the guiding rule -- though obviously not fairly important bit of it -- would constitute "a nun".

BTW, I'm applying logic here to reach a reasonable belief which I believe because I want to believe it. I trust this clarifies my position :)

Well the FACT - hate to use the word with you - is that she wasn't a nun. Your reasonable belief can be discounted by FACTS.

See how easy it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

There was also another nun recently, who got pregnant while on holiday, as can happen sometimes, especially after a few mojitos.
    Technically, as she was on holiday from being a nun at the time, perhaps she was "not a nun" also?
    http://jezebel.com/italian-nun-gets-pregnant-and-gives-birth-somehow-1681411104

Well the FACT - hate to use the word with you - is that she wasn't a nun. Your reasonable belief can be discounted by FACTS.

See how easy it is?

Bwahahaaa! Robin, you just got pwned. Well played katy :D

(better than watching big brother, this is....) ;)

Still though....would be nice if you were to present some FACTS supporting your reasonable belief, if it's not too much trouble K?

Shrap wrote: »
    Bwahahaaa! Robin, you just got pwned. Well played katy :D

(better than watching big brother, this is....) ;)

Still though....would be nice if you were to present some FACTS supporting your reasonable belief, if it's not too much trouble K?

Because you become a nun when you are professed. Before that you are a novice. A pretty basic fact...

• Advertisement

Because you become a nun when you are professed. Before that you are a novice. A pretty basic fact...

Ah yeah....you got me. I'm on the wrong thread for asking you for facts supporting your Christian beliefs. My bad.

Well the FACT - hate to use the word with you - is that she wasn't a nun.
    Well, the FACT is that the nuns could have been trying to save face by saying she wasn't one of them - it wouldn't be the first time that somebody from the church had lied to protect the church's (alleged) reputation.

The original report is here.

Gosh, it's almost like I write something, then you get all huffy and puffy as though you'd thought I'd said exactly the opposite, then correct my point, again getting all huffy and puffy, by saying exactly the same thing as I just had. And you keep doing it!

katy, I think we're made for each other :o

Well, the FACT is that the nuns could have been trying to save face by saying she wasn't one of them - it wouldn't be the first time that somebody from the church had lied to protect the church's (alleged) reputation.

That is speculation, but certainly very likely. My point is just that if she wasn't professed, she wasn't a nun. I like accuracy. :-)

Just had a look at the article. From my limited Italian, I can't see anything in it about her status. They just refer to her as " la suora".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

That is an assumption and opinion not based on any fact at all. So why use the word FACT in an effort to bolster what is just a baseless allegation.
    Having the word 'FACT' and then 'could' is deliberately misleading.

Just because you use the word FACT does lead any more credibility to it.
    I could say for example.."I know for a FACT that God exists" Then you will ask me for said evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,332 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Well, the FACT is that the nuns could be shape-shifting lizards from outer space. (Have we any evidence that they aren't?).

This isn't a particularly useful sense of the word "fact". Just sayin'.

This woman was a nun in the sense that a clerical student is a priest, or in the sense that an undergraduate is a graduate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

A novice what?

MrP

Novice, n.: A candidate for admission into a religious order; one who has yet to take the required vows. By extension, an inexperienced person, one who is new to the circumstances in which he or she is placed. Sport.: A competitor (esp. an animal) not having previously won any prize, or not have previously won a prize in the class or event now being entered. Adj.: of, relating to or characteristic of a novice.

Well the FACT - hate to use the word with you - is that she wasn't a nun. Your reasonable belief can be discounted by FACTS. See how easy it is?
    Well, the FACT is that [...]
    jank wrote: »
    [...] So why use the word FACT in an effort to bolster what is just a baseless allegation. Having the word 'FACT' and then 'could' is deliberately misleading. Just because you use the word FACT does lead any more credibility to it. I could say for example.."I know for a FACT that God exists" Then you will ask me for said evidence.
    Peregrinus wrote: »
    Well, the FACT is that the nuns could be shape-shifting lizards from outer space. (Have we any evidence that they aren't?).
    Next time I'm deploying the mildest of ironies, I'll write in green ink or something :rolleyes:

336728.gif

Outstanding gif robin. Still laughing :cool:

• Advertisement

"Virginity Suppositories" - seemingly could save your life if you're a newlywed woman in Iran:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/01/26/iran-s-virginity-suppositories.html

"Virginity Suppositories" - seemingly could save your life if you're a newlywed woman in Iran:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/01/26/iran-s-virginity-suppositories.html

Jesus. Not surprised nobody came back to him with a complaint. They probably died of cervicitis.

"It’s not really a pill, but a suppository. You insert it two or three centimeters into the cervix of the womb, 30 minutes to one hour before intercourse"

:eek::eek:
    Hope to fcuk nobody tried this. Extraordinarily dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

Shrap wrote: »
    Jesus. Not surprised nobody came back to him with a complaint. They probably died of cervicitis.

"It’s not really a pill, but a suppository. You insert it two or three centimeters into the cervix of the womb, 30 minutes to one hour before intercourse"

:eek::eek:
    Hope to fcuk nobody tried this. Extraordinarily dangerous.

I thought a suppository was meant to go in the anus, or am I thinking of something else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Or, for that extra special first night of Islamic honeymoon, why not try the exploding blood squibs that the movie stunt men use? Much cheaper too.

Or make homemade ones out of those leftover condoms that are no longer needed.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-cl=84924572&v=p5wGpSPOFcA&x-yt-ts=1422411861

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

recedite wrote: »
    Or, for that extra special first night of Islamic honeymoon, why not try the exploding blood squibs that the movie stunt men use? Much cheaper too.

Yep, sure what could go wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,481 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

RikuoAmero wrote: »
    I thought a suppository was meant to go in the anus

Correct. Although maybe the Iranians are working on one to correct loss of virginity there too :pac:

Pessaries go in the vagina.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I thought a suppository was meant to go in the anus, or am I thinking of something else?

No, you're correct! Those lucky women with their "life-saving" information from some dodgy bloke on a phone! Lucky nobody can reach their cervix with any great ease, although some may have applied said "suppository" to the wrong orifice. Hmm. Bit worrying on the wedding night. Again, no wonder nobody said nothing....

Most suppositories are administered to the anus, but they can be administered in the vagina, the urethra or indeed any bodily orifice other than the mouth. E.g. bronchodilatory suppositories are administered nasally; certain treatments for erectile disfunction are given as urethral suppositories.

As Hotblack notes, vaginal suppositories are usually called "pessaries", but strictly speaking pessaries are an overlapping category with suppositories. Any mechanism inserted into the vagina is a pessary - e.g. a cervical cap, or a prosthesis to support a prolapsed uterus.

(Is this too much information?)

Bottom line: It's not incorrect to call these objects suppositories. Nor would it be incorrect to call them pessaries. Whether their use is medically advisable or not is another question entirely. Ask your G.P. before you try this at home!

Fitzgerald urged to lift ban on Good Friday alcohol sales

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/fitzgerald-urged-to-lift-ban-on-good-friday-alcohol-sales-1.2082973
    Publicans have met Minister for Justice Frances Fitzgerald to call for the lifting of a ban on the sale of alcohol on Good Friday. The Vintners Federation of Ireland and the Licensed Vintners Association, which represent publicans outside and in Dublin respectively, said they used the meeting to highlight the importance of the Easter weekend to the pub, hotel and restaurant trades and to ask that licensed trading be permitted on the day.

They said the issue of the ban was especially important this year given that Leinster and Bath are due to clash in rugby’s European Champions Cup in Dublin that weekend. The publicans said tourists “were baffled and disappointed” to find the country’s pubs closed for business on Good Friday.

The Intoxicating Liquor Act, when introduced in 1927, said alcoholic drinks could not be sold on Christmas Day, Good Friday and St Patrick’s Day. The St Patrick’s Day clause was repealed in 1960 to accommodate visitors coming from overseas to celebrate the national holiday. Leinster has said it is opposed to the Aviva Stadium fixture taking place on Good Friday and has requested a tea-time slot for the fixture on the Saturday. However, broadcasters are likely to dictate if the fixture takes place on the Friday, Saturday or Sunday of Easter weekend.

“Having the game on Good Friday would be a disaster economically, as the local pub owners, restaurants and hoteliers would be up in arms given the loss of business to them,” Lenister chief executive Mick Dawson said, adding that it would dissuade Bath fans from travelling over for the game. Mr Dawson said Leinster might be able to obtain a licence to sell alcohol inside the stadium “but that would be as far as it would go”.

The legislation provides exemptions allowing the sale of alcohol to those attending events or travelling by sea, rail, air or ferry. Drink can also be sold to those attending a licensed theatre. Guests staying in hotels, can be served drink, as long as it is taken with a meal. The publicans said similar issues would arise again at Easter in 2016 when the centenary of the 1916 Rising will be commemorated. It would be “ludicrous if the hospitality sector was essentially closed on such an important date while other retailers were free to trade normally”, the groups said.

A spokesman for Ms Fitzgerald said the issue of Good Friday trading was being considered in the context of the upcoming Sale of Alcohol Bill but that the drafting was unlikely to be completed until later in the year.
    “It is unlikely that any decision will be taken in advance of ongoing work on this Bill although the matter will be kept under review,” he said.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't have a major issue with a day where people can't drink. but to balance it out with other activities, there should be a day where soccer (or talking about it) is banned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement