Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hazards of Belief

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

ninja900 wrote: »
    The web archive.. sounds like the go-to place for new happening stuff :cool:

Well it is an archive of an article from this year.

The website itself is still extant. I'll give it this, though, it is ecumencial in its conspiracy theories, taking liberally from both left and right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Yeah...I don't think I'll look at a site called "usahitman.com" while at uni...or anywhere else for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,462 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yeah, pretty dodgy sounding domain name, 'tis method in the madness after all :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

According to Google
    "usahitman.com/‎
    The best conspiracy and alternative news. Our site is under attack by the TPTB. Wake up and receive the truth."

"Our site is under attack by the The Powers That Be". Nope, just the grammar police. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

posted in t'uther thread, but this deserves to be here too:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Some relics of St.Anthony's are on display tonight in Galway Cathedral, near where I live. When I heard about it I assumed "relics" meant "a goblet that belonged to him" or "a piece of cloth he touched".

Turns out it is actually one of St. Anthony's ribs and his tongue.

Now, look, I'm all for letting religious people go about their business but am I the only one who is confused by this?

Would it not be some kind of desecration to take someone's remains on a worldwide tour?

I mean, you spend your whole life being such a good catholic that you're made a saint after you die and you're rewarded by having your tongue brought from church to church like a side-show?

*shudder*

If St. Anthony is as long dead as I think he is...

...surely his real tongue has long since decomposed?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Where is the Silver tongue? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

A church that has relics brings in extra cash.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

recedite wrote: »
    A church that has relics brings in extra cash.

Soooo much cash that they used to steal them from each other. :D

They call it the Incorruptible Tongue.

I'm not even kidding.

(I have no idea how it's preserved).

close.jpg

WHAT THE FCUK?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Just replace it with some beef jerky every fifty years, bingo, immortal relic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

Traffic delays were reported on RTE due to the throng at the tongue thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    They call it the Incorruptible Tongue.

I'm not even kidding.

(I have no idea how it's preserved).

close.jpg

WHAT THE FCUK?!

I'm sorry....again, is it just me or is that gold frame distinctly vaginal looking?

(could be just me - it's in and around a full moon....

^^

I actually thought the same thing but thought the topic was suitably disgusting already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Some relics of St.Anthony's are on display tonight in Galway Cathedral, near where I live. When I heard about it I assumed "relics" meant "a goblet that belonged to him" or "a piece of cloth he touched".

Turns out it is actually one of St. Anthony's ribs and his tongue.

Now, look, I'm all for letting religious people go about their business but am I the only one who is confused by this?

Would it not be some kind of desecration to take someone's remains on a worldwide tour?

I mean, you spend your whole life being such a good catholic that you're made a saint after you die and you're rewarded by having your tongue brought from church to church like a side-show?

*shudder*

...after we find Shergar with it, we can send it over to the Brits so they can have a goo for Lord Lucan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

"BROADCASTER and columnist Fr Brian D'Arcy has said his censure by the Vatican "destroyed" him "as a human being and as a priest" and almost caused him to leave the priesthood.

Recalling the events that led to his rap on the knuckles from the Vatican, Fr D'Arcy said that in 2010 he was formally censured by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (CDF).

The then head of the CDF wrote to the Superior General of his religious order, the Passionists, accusing him of being "a source of great scandal".
    Fr D'Arcy received a formal warning that he must cease being critical of the Vatican and stop questioning its rules on celibacy, homosexuality, divorce and remarriage or face excommunication."

"Father D'Arcy told the Irish Independent that he would quit the church if he is censured by the Congregation of the Faith over his new book."

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ill-quit-priesthood-if-vatican-censures-my-book-vows-darcy-29688018.html

...sez the man who advocated censorship himself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I'd love to steal the tongue and see how long it takes St. Anthony to help them find it.

It's like a big circus.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I'd love to steal the tongue and see how long it takes St. Anthony to help them find it.
    They may need more than just St Anthony since thirty years of searching haven't located Jesus' foreskin which went missing in 1983:

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/faithbased/2006/12/fore_shame.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

robindch wrote: »
    They may need more than just St Anthony since thirty years of searching haven't located Jesus' foreskin which went missing in 1983:

There are some things that even St Anthony doesn't feel quite right about helping people find.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Ah, so that's what Jewish people do with their sons' foreskins: they keep them safe in case their son becomes a messiah.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

The Sultan of Brunei introduced tough Sharia-law punishments on Tuesday including death by stoning for crimes such as adultery, hailing what he called a "historic" step toward Islamic orthodoxy for his country.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/sultan-of-brunei/856914.html

Cross that place off my list.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Brunei had been ranked fairly high on the human development index, watch that plummet. It'll now become a **** hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Brunei had been ranked fairly high on the human development index, watch that plummet. It'll now become a **** hole.

Maybe they're considering a bid for the FIFA World Cup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Kansas attourney general loses his license for being an overzealous gob****e looking to take down Planned Parenthood no matter the cost.

Of course his lawyer is complaining that they're taking those falsified records and lying to a grand jury completely out of context :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I guess this is a hazzard of belief :D

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local-news/hell-to-pay-as-elderly-clamped-while-visiting-relics-in-limerick-1-5615440
    MASS-GOERS have accused a Limerick clamping company of “preying” upon “vulnerable elderly people” who were hit with €100 clamping fines while visiting the relics of St Anthony in St John’s Cathedral.

Frankly I think the council are spot on here, regardless of age you can't just park your car where you want just to go to mass/church. Its a serious safety issue.

Given its St Anthony, maybe he intended them to loose money :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

The Sultan of Brunei introduced tough Sharia-law punishments on Tuesday including death by stoning for crimes such as adultery, hailing what he called a "historic" step toward Islamic orthodoxy for his country.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/sultan-of-brunei/856914.html

Cross that place off my list.

Was only reading this article about the Sultan and his brother the other day. They don't sound very Islamic.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Was only reading this article about the Sultan and his brother the other day. They don't sound very Islamic.

Neither are the Kuwaiti royal family - I do wonder if the Emir's big Ol lezzie daughter is going to be subjected to their proposed 'gay test'. Presumably after the Emir has finished one of the bacon butties he was so fond off when the crown prince.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,745 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Cabaal wrote: »
    I guess this is a hazzard of belief :D

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local-news/hell-to-pay-as-elderly-clamped-while-visiting-relics-in-limerick-1-5615440

Frankly I think the council are spot on here, regardless of age you can't just park your car where you want just to go to mass/church. Its a serious safety issue.

Given its St Anthony, maybe he intended them to loose money :pac:

It's beside a hospital. If ever there was a place not to park illegally, near a hospital would be up at the top of the list.

If you can read this, you're too close!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement