Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celtic Poker Tour Final

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Bp! wrote:
    FFS Why arent these guys on crimeline??

I wonder if they do this guilt free (cause all the punters seems so happy :( )
    Why would they stop - if they're still pulling the the punters and going from strength to strength, rather than losing business?

Why would a publican who raised the price of his pint to €4.50, in a world where people are used to paying €3.50 a pint, reduce it if he still can get the idiots in each and every week?

Ireland is famous for its consumers not giving a damn (beyond a quick whinge at home or to their friends) about the prices they pay, willing to pay over the odds without complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

send in eddie hobbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

send in eddie hobbs?

Eddie Hobbs isn't above a bit of 'risque' type promotion himself .... Cape Verde Islands Property/Brother in Law/Fantastic Investment type stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Bp!

ionapaul wrote:
    Why would they stop - if they're still pulling the the punters and going from strength to strength, rather than losing business?

Why would a publican who raised the price of his pint to €4.50, in a world where people are used to paying €3.50 a pint, reduce it if he still can get the idiots in each and every week?

Ireland is famous for its consumers not giving a damn (beyond a quick whinge at home or to their friends) about the prices they pay, willing to pay over the odds without complaining.

If he put a bucket of salt in every pint you think the drinkers would start puking right??

What vexes me most about these guys is I have a very strong feelin that poker doesnt real mean that much to them. Its only a vent to line their wallets. The fact that these guys lack any passion for the game (their TD rulings in situations when they first kicked off leans them towards Donkville) and they are taking such INSANE amounts of money from people playin this game.

They blatently ignore any standard rules of prizepool payouts (WTF is the €10 reg for anyway!!) and all they can say is "Ah overheads, and we give away tables " etc. I mean they have an underlyin slimeness about themselves that just is so so wrong.

I just read they have a "royal flush jackpot" they take money from the prizepool for LOL chancers

They need to be more involved with other poker organisations in Ireland and stoppped being allowed do as they like how they like when they like....they didnt invent Tournament Poker even if they believe they did

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

They are living the dream, my man, lots of cash, fairly limited risk (they'd probably cancel an event rather than get too screwed with their '€10,000 guaranteed prize pool' promise), eager punters lining up for more and more.

It has always been my dream to build a business selling useless crap to idiots with too much money (such as expensive cars or home furnishings or the like) - these guys don't seem so different! I agree there is a slimy undercurrent...they need to hire a PR consultant to solve that little problem!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

ionapaul wrote:
    They are living the dream, my man, lots of cash, fairly limited risk (they'd probably cancel an event rather than get too screwed with their '€10,000 guaranteed prize pool' promise), eager punters lining up for more and more.

It has always been my dream to build a business selling useless crap to idiots with too much money (such as expensive cars or home furnishings or the like) - these guys don't seem so different! I agree there is a slimy undercurrent...they need to hire a PR consultant to solve that little problem!

And you know a guy with a strong interest in poker - connections in the poker community - and looking for a change of career!!!

:D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We need to be careful about what is said about a company in public. Specifically *I* need to be careful but I can tell you this, I very much doubt that all is well in the land of CPT. Lets see how the summer pans out...

DeV.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

DeVore wrote:
    I very much doubt that all is well in the land of CPT. Lets see how the summer pans out..

You big tease...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

horsebokks wrote:
    :whats with the prize foe the most outrageous costume(as announced on their website) is it a feckin fancy dress ( i suppose nicnic will wear the pink again)

exactly the type of sewer talk that brings a forum down, everyone knows pink is so in this summer and it complements my complexion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭horsebokks

I just heard BetFair are going to sponsor the CPT. Any1 know anything about this.

:( yes .heard earlier in the day that BETFAIR are def getting into bed with the CPT.......what this means for poker in ireland i wonder about but hopefully they might improve things with a more player orientated set up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭pokerwidow

I just heard BetFair are going to sponsor the CPT. Any1 know anything about this.
    yes this is true a number of guys from betfair have been at the events they are going sponsoring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

To be honest it would be a good move on betfairs part as the boys do get the numbers and have a database which covers the country up and down and with a company like that that would be an good marketing ploy to gain all those players ....

I am not here to slate Celtic as i know the lads and have played in their events a few times and they always give our club a plug in carlow to be fair,I was only bothered by the final which i was actually trying to win a ticket to....

To be fair the lads were first in to put this type of tournament around the country and have gained a huge following to all their events and you will reguraly see some familar faces at their events ...

I am only dissappointed as the €500 game would have been great value with 100k prizepool and it would have been a great value game even if u were dealing yourself i just think rebuyin is to much for it....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

To be fair the lads were first in to put this type of tournament around the country and have gained a huge following to all their events and you will reguraly see some familar faces at their events ...
    To be fair every other tournament organiser, CPT are the only ones who still rip off the general poker public.

I had a ticket and gave it back on sunday due to other commitments on the weekend its running. Don't think the €200 rebuy is a bad thing for the better players who have tickets. I think celtic could come under the microscope of the press for this tournament and need to be transparent with the payout.

I came forth of approx 150 in there tournament in enniscorthy on sunday and won a tin of biscuts :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

nicnicnic wrote:

I came forth of approx 150 in there tournament in enniscorthy on sunday and won a tin of biscuts :)

LMAO, although I assume you're taking the piss!

Do they still have the "highest lady finisher" award? What sort of a disrespectful joke is that. I'd hate to have to be the person to award that prize to someone like Collette Doherty, considering she's capable of destroying most guys she plays against.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

To be fair every other tournament organiser, CPT are the only ones who still rip off the general poker public.

I'm still getting texts from Vegas Nights - what the word on them these days??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

nicnicnic wrote:

OMG You are actually serious aren't you? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

nicnicnic wrote:
    What kind of biscuits?

alright i got €500 but got a tin of biscuits for the high hand last level before the break, feeling good about it because i have a couple of aunts coming around this week for a visit

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I'm still getting texts from Vegas Nights - what the word on them these days??

Opps. Retraction: meant to say Texas Nights :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭patmac

Lads its all about marketing! Living in the Midlands we were starved of any action, before Xmas there was nothing, then I saw this wonderful sign win 10k, posters everywhere, adverts on the radio, so I googled CPT came across this website and found out about Pokerevents and cannot justify spending the money on CPT. But their marketing is very good, they have spotted a gap and they are exploiting it, also they only seem to target areas every six weeks or so. Imho the poker market here in Ireland is in its infancy (especially outside Dublin) and they will continue to exploit us poor repressed culchies in the near future.

pasted from Cpt site
    " We are delighted to announce that the final will be a fully dealered event. Players will be able to play more hands at a more comfortable pace. After conversing with several grand finalist's over the past couple of week's we have decided to limit the rebuy structure in the grand final to either one rebuy or a top up, not both as previously advertised. Some of the qualified players felt that the final was going to be too expensive for them. As ever, we are always willing to listen to our customer's, whose generous and positive feedback has been the bedrock of our success"

I have also noticed a certain Tom Murphy on there league leader board:eek:

In fairness mike and the boys at Celtic are listening to the constructive critisism that has come upon them and have now put dealers at all tables and have taken back the one rebuy and one top up option to just a rebuy or top up.... No matter what There is a guaranteed pot so i will prob play the game now....
    Few people have given back there tickets but i expect them to play in the final as it gives a good poker player an option if they are knocked out by a maniacs play.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭The Ace Face

In fairness mike and the boys at Celtic are listening to the constructive critisism that has come upon them and have now put dealers at all tables and have taken back the one rebuy and one top up option to just a rebuy or top up.... No matter what There is a guaranteed pot so i will prob play the game now....
    Few people have given back there tickets but i expect them to play in the final as it gives a good poker player an option if they are knocked out by a maniacs play.......

Please don't give me that sh ite......"listening" to their customers as they have a hand in their pocket:mad:

Total fcuking cowboys...preying on the stupidity of fools

I'd love to have a look at their financial accounts or under their mattress!:D

Big Lick poker:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭horsebokks

:(
    :mad: :mad: :mad: you mean they havent given you a comp for all the p.r you're giving them????????

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Bp!

Didnt want to start a new thread but I heard there was over 200 players at the €100(+10) Celtic Poker tourney in athlone last night and first was paid out €4000!

If this true these guys are really pushing it too far :mad: :mad:

Can anyone confirm this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

Bp! wrote:
    Didnt want to start a new thread but I heard there was over 200 players at the €100(+10) Celtic Poker tourney in athlone last night and first was paid out €4000!

If this true these guys are really pushing it too far :mad: :mad:

Can anyone confirm this?

Well yeah that would be about right in a normal payout structure IF the total payout was 20K but we both know it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭connie147

How can you say they listen?Theyve been slated left right and center for the past 12months by any knowlegable players who have seen whats going on yet they refused to change their ways.Still, maybe things are changing or maybe nickys tin of (sorry for the pause but im just laughing my ****ing arse off everytime I think of it) biscuits was a one off.They could really go for broke at the finals by giving an ironing board to the best lady finisher and a box of after dinner mints for the highest hand:D (oh jesus,Ive a pain in my stomach)

• Advertisement

sent u a pm connie lol

Advertisement