Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for the Hayfever Sufferers

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 tietambrown

Hayfever has been really bad lately, worst in years. Constant runny nose, eyes itchy and sneezing. I used to only get it a handful of times over a summer, but I've had it nearly every day for 2 or 3 weeks now. Tried cetirizine when it started and it didn't really work at all. Friend gave me a big bottle diphenhydramine 25mg tablets he got in the states last year and they work well for 4/5 hours, but they make me really tired and drowsy unfortunately. Anyone recommend a tablet that doesn't dope you up so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Hayfever has been really bad lately, worst in years. Constant runny nose, eyes itchy and sneezing. I used to only get it a handful of times over a summer, but I've had it nearly every day for 2 or 3 weeks now. Tried cetirizine when it started and it didn't really work at all. Friend gave me a big bottle diphenhydramine 25mg tablets he got in the states last year and they work well for 4/5 hours, but they make me really tired and drowsy unfortunately. Anyone recommend a tablet that doesn't dope you up so much?

How long did you take the cetirizine for? It takes a while (up to a few weeks) for it to work optimally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

I had it real bad for years. Someone said load up on honey, so I have been taking honey for months and the hayfever has been grand nothing like it used to be hardly bothering me at all. I was also told that if your immune system is topped up to maximum levels with vit C that this helps a lot also.

Its a tough one...

The old wives tale is using local honey
    I use Beconase nasal spray and I take a cetrizine tablet daily from about mid-May until September. And I use eye drops if needed. They are an effective solution to my hayfever because I take them constantly over a number of months. Not just when the pollen count is high.

I wouldn't worry too much about the steroid content in nasal sprays, as the dosage is significantly lower than the Kenalog injection. Plus you take it over a long period of time compared to the injection.

I have tried the 'barrier' type nasal sprays, but I don't like them. They just end up blocking my nose so what's the point!!

How often do you use Beconase? I read after 3 weeks usage there are negative effects. Cant remember what they were atm.

How often do you use Beconase? I read after 3 weeks usage there are negative effects. Cant remember what they were atm.

It's not 3 weeks. The recommendation is not to take it continuously for longer than three months without consulting a doctor.

The dosage on the packaging is two sprays into each nostril twice a day (morning and evening). But I only take one spray into each nostril twice a day (morning and evening). And I use it from about mid-May to late August/early September (I have consulted a doctor about this). If I am out cycling, running, playing sport on grass, or if the pollen count is really high, I might take a couple of extra sprays. But then there are days when I don't take any dose because I've forgotten or the bottle is empty.

I know with some nasal sprays such as Sudafed and Vicks Sinex, you are not meant to take it for longer than 7 consecutive days as it may cause rebound congestion (i.e. your nose gets blocked when you stop using it). But that isn't the case with Beconase.

It's not 3 weeks. The recommendation is not to take it continuously for longer than three months without consulting a doctor.

The dosage on the packaging is two sprays into each nostril twice a day (morning and evening). But I only take one spray into each nostril twice a day (morning and evening). And I use it from about mid-May to late August/early September (I have consulted a doctor about this). If I am out cycling, running, playing sport on grass, or if the pollen count is really high, I might take a couple of extra sprays. But then there are days when I don't take any dose because I've forgotten or the bottle is empty.

I know with some nasal sprays such as Sudafed and Vicks Sinex, you are not meant to take it for longer than 7 consecutive days as it may cause rebound congestion (i.e. your nose gets blocked when you stop using it). But that isn't the case with Beconase.

Sorry, I meant 3 weeks for steroid nasal sprays (Flixonase). Not sure about beconase.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I meant 3 weeks for steroid nasal sprays (Flixonase). Not sure about beconase.

Beconase is a steroid nasal spray as well. It contains beclometasone dipropionate which is a corticosteroid. Flixonase contains a different corticosteroid.

Is Flixonase now known as Pirinase in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

...Is Flixonase now known as Pirinase in Ireland?

No, still Flixonase.

Both Beconase and Flixonase were available in a prescription-only one month's supply pack or in an over-the-counter 15 day's supply pack.

Then their patents ran out, and generic versions of the prescription-only versions became available for a fraction of the price. The generics are called Nasobec and Nasofan respectively.

Then the original manufacturers discontinued the larger prescription-only packs.

Upshot of it all:
    1. if you want to buy them OTC, ask for Beconase or Flixonase.
    2. if you want the larger packs, ask your doctor to prescribe Nasobec of Flixonase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Absolutely in bits today. Is there anything new I can try? It is my eyes that are worst affected. I can't even go outside right now. Strongly considering the injection this year. I have tried all the usual

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Today's bad alright - had my first sneezing attack on Saturday. On great medication but there are always a few days during the summer when it does little good!

Tomorrow's count is to be very high. Dreading it

• Advertisement

Knine wrote: »
    Absolutely in bits today. Is there anything new I can try? It is my eyes that are worst affected. I can't even go outside right now. Strongly considering the injection this year. I have tried all the usual

Its too late for the injection IIRC. Mine was bad as well. Try Optrex Actiimist 16E in Boots. Flixonase is good imo.
    ionapaul wrote: »
    Today's bad alright - had my first sneezing attack on Saturday. On great medication but there are always a few days during the summer when it does little good!

What are you on?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

What are you on?

Wal-Fex, a generic but powerful antihistamine available from Walgreen's in the States. Visit about once a year and stock up a year's worth then. Usually very effective but the pollen is running riot at the moment!

Optrex Actiimist, is that for the eyes?

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

I'm taking flixonase spray first thing in morning, plus piriton, I like piriton as you can take them every 4 hours or so. I find the once a day tablets just wear off.
    Eyes very bad today too. I get the optrix pollen drops and to sooth my eyes I just get water wipes a gently dab my eyes with them, really cools them down,especially if you keep the pack in the fridge. It help a bit anyway.

Optrex Actiimist, is that for the eyes?

Yeah spray on the eye lids. Works for me as Im shi* with eye drops. Expensive enough but its available from Boots for 16 beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Is there anything new I can try?
    I have mentioned the light treatment many times, still working for me.

http://www.lloydspharmacy.ie/health-und-wellbeing/electrical-health/lloydspharmacy-allergy-reliever

can be got cheaper elsewhere online.

rubadub wrote: »
    I have mentioned the light treatment many times, still working for me.

http://www.lloydspharmacy.ie/health-und-wellbeing/electrical-health/lloydspharmacy-allergy-reliever

can be got cheaper elsewhere online.

Thanks never actually heard of this. Will give it a try. How exactly does this work?

The spray for the eyelids sounds great, my daughter also suffers with it & no chance of getting drops near her.

Thanks never actually heard of this. Will give it a try. How exactly does this work?.
    If shines a light up your nose and the wavelength of the light causes some effect on histamines. I am very skeptical in general but it worked for me, there are loads of studies done on it too. I know others who have used them with success.

It would be ideal for kids too as its not a drug and you cannot really overdose on it.

this is a similar device, they used to cost a lot more.

This is the one I have, if you spend over £25 post should be free
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kinetik-Medical-AR1-Allergy-Reliever/dp/B004MZMYPS/ref=sr_1_23_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1466620024&sr=8-23&keywords=allergy+light

rubadub wrote: »
    If shines a light up your nose and the wavelength of the light causes some effect on histamines. I am very skeptical in general but it worked for me, there are loads of studies done on it too. I know others who have used them with success.

It would be ideal for kids too as its not a drug and you cannot really overdose on it.

this is a similar device, they used to cost a lot more.

This is the one I have, if you spend over £25 post should be free
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kinetik-Medical-AR1-Allergy-Reliever/dp/B004MZMYPS/ref=sr_1_23_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1466620024&sr=8-23&keywords=allergy+light

Thanks for the link. I was having trouble with the Paypal/Lloyds Pharmacy :mad:

Thanks for the link. I was having trouble with the Paypal/Lloyds Pharmacy :mad:
    there are lloyds pharmacies in Ireland nowadays. Argos used to even stock these devices but I see none now. Not sure if the regular lloyds stores have them but here is a list
    stores have them but here is a list

http://www.lloydspharmacy.ie/customer-service/store-locator

of course they might be in other pharmacies but make sure not to pay over the odds.

some devices allow you to buy spare LED light things, so 2 people can use the base unit and have separate nose devices.

• Advertisement

Thank you, definitely gonna give this a try.

Advertisement