Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for the Hayfever Sufferers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I've never heard of the Kinetik Allergy Reliever before.... seems pretty cool.
    There are several of them, medinose, sneezer.

I like the kinetik, the design lets you wrap the wire around it and has an insertion holder for the nose things. You can stop & start it with the button (some stay on 3mins once pressed). It beeps when finished. It also has 2 wavelengths of light, the usual red one for hayfever and another supposedly to increase blood flow.

I am a proud cynical skeptic, but studies do show they work, this used placebo lights too
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9109708

There were a few mentions of them earlier in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 annabella26

hi!

i dont much post on here but need a bit of help regarding hayfever relief

my 8 yr old suffers Chronicly with it to the point now that no over the counter meds/eye drops/nasal spray seem to make any difference. im at my wits end as his eyes after 2-3 days end up sticky and infected which also means he has to come out of school as the days i do send him he will get sent home by lunch time anyway. neither me or my other half suffer from it so we cant begin to imagine what pain hes suffering

are there any treatments that arent as widely known or tried that any of you would recommend? this boy was on 4 zirtek minimum ( doc had said to up his dose to when he thought he needed relief) a day and he still was sneezing and eyes watering and swelling to the point he couldnt see and i just dont think any of the tablets etc are working on him anymore

cheers in advance :(

are there any treatments that arent as widely known or tried that any of you would recommend?
    you could try one of the LED devices I linked a few posts back, when looking them up lots of people wanted them for kids, as they preferred a drug free solution.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

On a related note- you can get a little air ioniser- which you run in the bedroom at night (its not very noisy- and you get used to it anyway), and it helps your sinus no-end. I supplement this with aqueous eye drops as required (OTC).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

hi!

i dont much post on here but need a bit of help regarding hayfever relief

my 8 yr old suffers Chronicly with it to the point now that no over the counter meds/eye drops/nasal spray seem to make any difference. im at my wits end as his eyes after 2-3 days end up sticky and infected which also means he has to come out of school as the days i do send him he will get sent home by lunch time anyway. neither me or my other half suffer from it so we cant begin to imagine what pain hes suffering

are there any treatments that arent as widely known or tried that any of you would recommend? this boy was on 4 zirtek minimum ( doc had said to up his dose to when he thought he needed relief) a day and he still was sneezing and eyes watering and swelling to the point he couldnt see and i just dont think any of the tablets etc are working on him anymore

cheers in advance :(

Have you tried Prevalin?
    My 10 year old has hayfever aswell and this seems to work for her. Her eyes get quite bad so it's sunglasses when outside and constant washing of her face. I also have an air purifier for her bedroom which I got in Aldi a number of years ago.

When it gets really bad I end up just packing her off to her grandparents. They live near the sea and the pollen isn't as bad up there.
    It's a horrible thing for them to have :(

I also found that alternating the different brands of antihistamine seemed to help somewhat as they seemed to lose their effectiveness the longer she took them. So one day she's be on zirtek, the next it would be clarityn etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 annabella26

ash23 wrote: »
    Have you tried Prevalin?
    My 10 year old has hayfever aswell and this seems to work for her. Her eyes get quite bad so it's sunglasses when outside and constant washing of her face. I also have an air purifier for her bedroom which I got in Aldi a number of years ago.

When it gets really bad I end up just packing her off to her grandparents. They live near the sea and the pollen isn't as bad up there.
    It's a horrible thing for them to have :(

I also found that alternating the different brands of antihistamine seemed to help somewhat as they seemed to lose their effectiveness the longer she took them. So one day she's be on zirtek, the next it would be clarityn etc.

exact same! have had to start puttin him on diff antihestimines becuase you can see when hes become immune to them and his eyes get infected... have him currently on cetrine(spelling may be off) and the prevalin with eye drops as they have become infected! still have to pick up an air purifier! he had been doing great but with few days of sun and people cutting grass were back to square one again this morning :(
    roll on school hols so he wont be missing school becuase of it

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The eyes! :( Thankfully the swelling happened after I got home and not when I was driving. Had a shower though And the swelling went down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Completely forgot to get my injection this year till the eyes and nose reminded me on Tuesday. Went to docs yesterday and got it. Depo medrone is the name of it. Couldn't rememberit when posting before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Completely forgot to get my injection this year till the eyes and nose reminded me on Tuesday. Went to docs yesterday and got it. Depo medrone is the name of it. Couldn't rememberit when posting before.
    Got mine this week too, still taking Telefast as well :( Hope the injection kicks in soon.
    (the pollen still doesnt seem to be as half as bad as any previous year though)

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Im not sure if this will work, but I am going to try it myself this weekend!

Ive been told by a few different people that taking some locally produced honey can really help with hayfever as you are getting a direct hit of the local pollen and building up your immune system to act as a defence against it!
    So maybe ring around local veg shops or health food shops and see if you could get some.

Now really I have no clue if it will work, but I am willing to try anything at this stage.

Also for itchy eyes, Optrex soothing eye drops is a nice soother, you can use it as often as you like too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Coopaloop wrote: »
    Im not sure if this will work, but I am going to try it myself this weekend!

Ive been told by a few different people that taking some locally produced honey can really help with hayfever as you are getting a direct hit of the local pollen and building up your immune system to act as a defence against it!
    So maybe ring around local veg shops or health food shops and see if you could get some.

Now really I have no clue if it will work, but I am willing to try anything at this stage.

Also for itchy eyes, Optrex soothing eye drops is a nice soother, you can use it as often as you like too.

Yeah I've read that taking local honey is meant to be very good for hayfever, but I've never tried it myself before. Beware though, locally produced honey is not cheap! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

How effective is the injection and approximately how much is it?

I've been taking A.Vogel Pollinosan tablets and using Otrivine eye drops but any length of time outside has my eyes in bits, itchy throat and uncontrollable sneezing. I literally sneezed about 35 times in a matter of minutes at football last week :(

Any info appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

I have only managed to sleep about 4 hours in the past 2 days, and I hit the bed about 2am this morning absolutely shattered looking forward to a good sleep.
    But no, the thanks my hayfever gives me has me awake now approaching 5am, in absolute agony,

My eyes are in bits, they're so painfull and itchy. I've taken my anti-histamine, nose spray, otrivine eye drops, 2 paracetamol, washed the crap out of my face and eyes, and it still doesnt help all that much. This is beyond ridiculous at this stage and I want it to go away :mad:

In regards to the injection, my doctor wouldnt give it to me 2 years in a row because steroid injections are very unhealthy in general for your body & skin, so regular use of them isnt promoted.

Question: Has anybody used a humidifier? Does it help you much?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

I have only managed to sleep about 4 hours in the past 2 days, and I hit the bed about 2am this morning absolutely shattered looking forward to a good sleep.
    But no, the thanks my hayfever gives me has me awake now approaching 5am, in absolute agony,

My eyes are in bits, they're so painfull and itchy. I've taken my anti-histamine, nose spray, otrivine eye drops, 2 paracetamol, washed the crap out of my face and eyes, and it still doesnt help all that much. This is beyond ridiculous at this stage and I want it to go away :mad:

In regards to the injection, my doctor wouldnt give it to me 2 years in a row because steroid injections are very unhealthy in general for your body & skin, so regular use of them isnt promoted.

So sorry to hear about you. My OH is not far off you but not as extreme. I'm sure you have ran all these options already but are you taking precautions with your living and sleeping area? Ie Hoovering up pet hair and washing pet that may have pollen on hair, regular showers to remove pollen from your hair and clothes, avoid drying clothes outside, regular hoovering carpets, keeping windows closed ,

I know these may seem obvious but sometimes it's difficult to spot the source of pollen. Best of luck anyway

Really sorry that your symptoms are so bad seven_eleven :(

For how long this summer have you been taking the anti-histamine tablets, nose-spray and eye drops? And what ones are they?

Sorry I haven't used a humidifier, so can't help you with that.

Running a dehumidifer here too- have to get up overnight- as its so humid its 6 litre reservoir fills at the rate of about a litre an hour.

Are there any large scale dehumidiers, with hepa filters, you can get that have large reservoirs- and don't break the bank (I'm probably asking the impossible). The unit I have at the moment I got almost 10 years ago- its on wheels so you can move it around the place- but its damn heavy and I cant get replacement filters for it anymore.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Been feeling your pain for years folks, until this year thank god!!! So after last summer when my hayfever stopped I developed really severe sinus infections. I was on antibiotic after antibiotic. Then it stopped for a few weeks but on jan 3rd I was back in the doctors and on an antibiotic again. I finished my 7th antibiotic of this year on April 26th (I think) and I was in with an ENT on may 1st. So I have chronic allergic rhinitis which didnt clear up simce summer 2012!! So he started me on new treatment and I had to get allergy tests, which I did. And also a ct sinus. So my three allergies are grass, trees and dust! No animal dander thank god.

I started straight away on nasonex nasal spray and rhinolast nasal spray. He also advised me to stop using sterimar and use the neilmed sinus rinse twice a day. I got the depomedrone injection for 5 years in a row and my GP stopped giving it because its not a good idea to get more than 3 in a lifetime. My ENT guy told me never to get it again.

I was one of you guys who suffered so bad with hayfever. My eyes, ears, mouth and the roof of my mouth suffered so much. This year I have experienced none of that. I can actually sleep with the window open at night and I'm getting great sleeps at last!!! This new treatment is only for 3 months though so I've to go back to him in September and see what he thinks but now I can say a 100% yes to rhinolast for hayfever treatment! It's well worth it guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Really sorry that your symptoms are so bad seven_eleven :(

For how long this summer have you been taking the anti-histamine tablets, nose-spray and eye drops? And what ones are they?

I take Xyzal anti-histamines all year around for my chronic rhinitis. I take Avamys nose spray during the summer months, and my eye drops are otrivine over the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 meganmaher21

Is the injection still available?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Is the injection still available?

Yes. As far as I know it's available all year round...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Like many here it's difficult to enjoy the fine weather when you suffer from hay fever , I was in Wexford on Thursday and Friday and was suffering badly. The hotel recommended a medical centre where the doctor was able to see me within a couple of hours. Initially I thought he was going to give me the steroid injection but he said he would try a different tact with me considering my age.

Over the counter antihistamine make me drowsy regardless of what it says on the box so he prescribed me Telfast 120mg, Betnesol steroid nasal drops and Opticrom eye drops. I was very sceptical that any of these would work but was happy to try anything as my holiday was being ruined by the constant running nose, streaming eyes and incessant sneezing ! Miserable doesn't begin to describe it.

Anyway surprise surprise, the antihistamine didn't make me drowsy (apparently this particular one is prescribed to pilots?!) the nasal drops worked wonders and I haven't needed the eye drops!

.... Now . . . . Anyone have any cures for sunburn ?! :)

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

Anyone tried prevalin?

Anyone tried prevalin?

I tried it for a few days, but I really didn't like the feeling when it thickened up when it was in your nostril :( It just wasn't for me. Since I was only using it for a couple of days, I can't comment on it's effectiveness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭exercise is the antidote

Hayfever....is a pain in the backside. I can remember playing hurling when I was young, running around with my head tilted upwards and sorting like a pig. :D. Seems to boder me more now when I get a dose.

Eyes all swollen these last 2 days.
    Thought I was going to get away this year- apparently not.
    Think I need a little appointment with my doc on this one- Neoclarityn isn't cutting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Eyes are raw red and streaming. Blowing my nose and sneezing so much that I'm getting frequent nosebleeds. This is worse than usual. Usually antihistamines sort me out, but not this time :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Eyes are raw red and streaming. Blowing my nose and sneezing so much that I'm getting frequent nosebleeds. This is worse than usual. Usually antihistamines sort me out, but not this time :(

My LED thing is still working fine for me. Reduced on amazon at the moment, if your cart is over £25 you get free delivery, so you could buy a tshirt or something to bump it up.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kinetik-Medical-AR1-Allergy-Reliever/dp/B004MZMYPS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402909316&sr=8-1&keywords=light+hayfever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

Guys why are ye suffering when there is no need to??

Use beconase nasal spray and prevalin spray also then opticrom eye drops and a zirtek tablet. These will sort any problems I get it as bad as anyone!! Try it it works !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

Guys why are ye suffering when there is no need to??

Use beconase nasal spray and prevalin spray also then opticrom eye drops and a zirtek tablet. These will sort any problems I get it as bad as anyone!! Try it it works !!

That works for YOU. It doesn't work for everyone...

Advertisement