Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thom Yorke - The Eraser, Leaked!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dream brother

dohboy wrote:
    I got a leaked copy of people discussing the new Thom Yorke album, if anyone's interested.

Give me three please!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Doctor J wrote:
    there is no boards.ie policy except for the burden of proof of legality to lie with the poster.

Well you just made that up. If that were true then I couldn't discuss anything without first proving I legally obtained it. If that were true, the Lost forum would be dead. I can go on.
    Doctor J wrote:
    My moralistic stance is that this is no place for discussing illegally obtained items or material, be they music, drugs, car stereos, Nike trainers or anything else. You may choose to differ, but as long as the responsibility of modding a forum lies with me, I will do things my way until told otherwise and I will make no apologies or excuses for that. I fully back John2 in whatever choice he makes too. We have discussed this before, so there is no point going through the legalities of the matter again. Your copy of the music is in breach of Irish copyright law. End of story.

Is my discussion of that material illegal? Nope. Your moralistic stance has no place in the rules of any forums. Its your own opinion and should be kept as such, otherwise - no foul - no problem.
    Doctor J wrote:
    As I see it, all this does is announce to everyone that it's available through torrents, that it can be accessed illegally and will, no doubt, be all some people need to head to their client of choice. Should people be allowed to discuss things they stole?

#1 there is a difference between copyright infringement and stealing.

#2 if it doesn't but boards.ie in legal jeoprady, what's the problem (except your little crusade).
    Doctor J wrote:
    I don't believe this is the appropriate place, though I will raise this matter on the moderators forum to see if the smods and admins want to draw up an official Boards.ie policy.

I think the Feedback forum would be more appropriate and more transparent.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Is my discussion of that material illegal? Nope.

I'm agreeing with RE*AC*TOR here because again its a discussion board not file transferring board!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Well you just made that up. If that were true then I couldn't discuss anything without first proving I legally obtained it. If that were true, the Lost forum would be dead. I can go on.

Not at all. It was put to me like that by an smod referring to the questionable legalty of the Russian mp3 sites. That is, as I said, the only Boards.ie policy I have been made aware of.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Is my discussion of that material illegal? Nope. Your moralistic stance has no place in the rules of any forums. Its your own opinion and should be kept as such, otherwise - no foul - no problem.

You're the one who brought up the moralistic stance as you put it. I am not the moderator of this forum. I have no say in how this forum is moderated as I have already stated. I do, however, have a say in the running of the forums I moderate. That is the job of a moderator. If you don't feel I am doing a good job or you don't like that feel free to start a thread on feedback. There is no drug discussion forum. The difference between Lost and this is that this music has not been released anywhere legally. Lost has already been released in different regions. Big diffference.

Just because I am a moderator doesn't mean I shouldn't express my opinion on the subject. I am as entitled as you to have my say, so get used to it.
    RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    #1 there is a difference between copyright infringement and stealing.

They are both crimes. What's the difference?
    RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    #2 if it doesn't but boards.ie in legal jeoprady, what's the problem (except your little crusade).

Get a grip. I have no crusade so cool the jets. You previously claimed you weren't in breach of copyright by copying music. You were wrong. We've been through this before. I do not see the point of going through it again. I have, as I said I would, put a thread asking for the smods and admins opinion on this matter. Whatever they say goes, whether I like it or not. I have my own opinion on the matter, as do you, and I am entitled to express it.
    RE*AC*TOR wrote:

I think the Feedback forum would be more appropriate and more transparent.

Start a thread. The moderator forum is the quickest way I know to get the attention of the smods and admins which is the only reason I started a thread there, since it is they who will have to make the call here.

Doctor J wrote:
    Not at all. It was put to me like that by an smod referring to the questionable legalty of the Russian mp3 sites. That is, as I said, the only Boards.ie policy I have been made aware of.

That's an entirely different scenario, and you know it. If one of these sites was legally ambiguous then linking to it would put boards.ie (potentially) in hot water. If i started discussing music that music I has purchased there - that would be fine.

Doctor J wrote:
    You're the one who brought up the moralistic stance as you put it. I am not the moderator of this forum. I have no say in how this forum is moderated as I have already stated. I do, however, have a say in the running of the forums I moderate. That is the job of a moderator. If you don't feel I am doing a good job or you don't like that feel free to start a thread on feedback.

I am not familiar with any of the forums you moderate, so that's cool.

Doctor J wrote:
    There is no drug discussion forum. The difference between Lost and this is that this music has not been released anywhere legally. Lost has already been released in different regions. Big diffference.

Its not a big difference. There are plenty of examples of games and movies that get leaked before release as well. Its a flag of convenience for you to wave to pursue this angle.

In reality, from boards.ie's liability worries there is no difference.
    Doctor J wrote:
    Just because I am a moderator doesn't mean I shouldn't express my opinion on the subject. I am as entitled as you to have my say, so get used to it.

Your opinion is your own. But when you artificially apply unneccessary boundaries to conversation its called **** moderating.

Doctor J wrote:
    They are both crimes. What's the difference?

Rape and jay-walking are both crimes, what's the difference?

Doctor J wrote:
    Get a grip. I have no crusade so cool the jets.

From your previous statements on the matter, its apparent that you would prefer a decidedly authoritarian stance on this matter (for various reasons - depending on which suits the particular topic).

Doctor J wrote:
    You previously claimed you weren't in breach of copyright by copying music. You were wrong. We've been through this before. I do not see the point of going through it again.

Nor do I. However, I went down that route because you started quoting american law to me. Either way, I conceede that I was wrong on that point. However, it still doesn't affect the principle, that discussion in the absence of providing links / info to obtain illegal material should be permissable.
    Doctor J wrote:
    I have, as I said I would, put a thread asking for the smods and admins opinion on this matter. Whatever they say goes, whether I like it or not. I have my own opinion on the matter, as do you, and I am entitled to express it.

So you've said. Should your opinion get in the way of open (legal) discussion?
    Doctor J wrote:
    Start a thread. The moderator forum is the quickest way I know to get the attention of the smods and admins which is the only reason I started a thread there, since it is they who will have to make the call here.

maybe i will.

• Advertisement

Look man, as I keep saying, whatever the smods and admins say goes. Law is law and how they choose to apply it goes. There is no forum for discussing drugs and other illegal items (and music held in breach of copyright is illegal) so I will continue to err on the side of caution until told otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

Doctor J wrote:
    The difference between Lost and this is that this music has not been released anywhere legally. Lost has already been released in different regions. Big diffference.

i think you'll find that you still not suppose to download the Lost shows as they haven't been broadcasted in Ireland. No one on that board discusses where they got the shows but they discuss what the US shows were about! The same principle should apply here, do you not think so?

ok I've opened the thread in feedback

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054940200

Doctor J, I'm not interested in a tete á tete with you, I respect your opinion and I think you have great knowledge of music in general. We just disagree on how far speech should be restricted surrounding this (contentious) issue.

Who says it isn't people who've seen it in the US discussing it? Moot point and totally off topic, can't be proven, my cousin sent it over, saw it on satellite, etc etc etc. I suggest this thread returns to being about Thom Yorke and if you want to discuss downloading then start a thread in feedback and get an admin's view on it.

• Advertisement

Doctor J wrote:
    Who says it isn't people who've seen it in the US discussing it?

who's to say that I didn't hear Thom Yorke broadcast on a radio station. Who's to say I didn't get legally sent a review copy? Who's to say I even heard the album and I'm not just a crazy person who hallucinated that i heard it.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Doctor J, I'm not interested in a tete á tete with you, I respect your opinion and I think you have great knowledge of music in general. We just disagree on how far speech should be restricted surrounding this (contentious) issue.

I understand. Please just bear in mind that on any forum I don't moderate, I am just a regular user and my opinion carries no more authority than anyone elses. It is up to John2 how he moderates this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 themire

what bulls**t

Doctor J wrote:
    Who says it isn't people who've seen it in the US discussing it? Moot point and totally off topic, can't be proven, my cousin sent it over, saw it on satellite, etc etc etc. I suggest this thread returns to being about Thom Yorke and if you want to discuss downloading then start a thread in feedback and get an admin's view on it.

I not discussing downloading it, the point I was trying to make was related to this thread, for example: Your cousin still shouldn't be sending you over the show, same applies to cd's dvd's etc! But to chastise someone for discussing it is hardcore!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Right, as this is now been taken to both feedback and the moderators' forum I'm locking this. For the meantime, I'm still not allowing the discussion of leaked albums because let's face it, you can count on one hand the number of people here who would be receiving a promo copy. As far as I'm concerned, until I'm told otherwise by the admins, this forum will be free as possible from illegal downloading. Big Brotherish? Possibly but frankly I don't care. There's enough music being released daily for your discussion. Illegal downloading may not harm the major labels as much but this is the Alt/Indie forum, most of the bands being discussed here are the ones that get downloaded the most. And these are the bands that a major label will drop like a hot potato if their sales aren't reaching a certain threshold. Granted this is unlikely to happen in Thom Yorke's case but a rule for one is a rule for all.

As soon as I hear official word from the admins, I'll update the charter accordingly. If you've any comments to make, here's a link to the thread in feedback. If you're a mod, here's a link to the other thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement