Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thom Yorke - The Eraser, Leaked!

Options
  • 31-05-2006 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭

:confused:

Poor bastards, can't keep anything under wraps.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Well who's fault is that? If they can't trust anyone, don't give anyone copies of the album before it's released! Unless it's deliberate. The dastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The leak is hardly surprising considering the fact that the record was actually sent to Radiohead fansites such as Atease. More likely than not Thom doesn't care if its out there in the public domain, I really doubt he's made this record for financial reasons.

Please don't discuss the album, if you've downloaded it, you shouldn't have. I'll leave this thread open once it's only about the concept of leaking but I'd prefer to take a hardline approach towards illegal downloading on this forum. It's in the charter about leaked albums anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭HarryHoudini

John2 wrote:
    Please don't discuss the album, if you've downloaded it, you shouldn't have. I'll leave this thread open once it's only about the concept of leaking but I'd prefer to take a hardline approach towards illegal downloading on this forum. It's in the charter about leaked albums anyway.

Whats wrong with people discussing the album!? Who is to say that eveyone thats heard it has downloaded it!

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dream brother

John2 wrote:
    Please don't discuss the album, if you've downloaded it, you shouldn't have.

and then
    The leak is hardly surprising considering the fact that the record was actually sent to Radiohead fansites such as Atease.

QED my man!

Are the songs done acousticly or more along the lines of KID A etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

A promo was sent for review, not to leak all over the internet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

John2 wrote:

A come on you cant be serious?
    I can understand banning links to illigal downloads on a public forum but not being able to discuss an album till its officials released is a load of crap
    Ive bought tons of radiohead albums and paid to see them a number of times I cant see how discussing an album by thom yorke will harm him in any way as I will probably buy it anyway.
    Altough its a completly different argument I beleive downloading wheather legal or illigal increases sales the music industry would be in a far worse state it if wasnt for downloads keeping demand at a decent level.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

lets all bury our heads in the sand!!

I hear its all the rage.

I don't even care about Radiohead - but because of this horse****, i might reconsider. Now its forbidden fruit.

It was bad enough that Karl decided to pursue this puritarian line on rock/metal - this is authoritarian puritarian crap.

What is the reason for this? John2 - does this really benefit the forum? Conversely would allowing the discussion hurt anyone?

This is not a boards.ie policy, this is a moralistic stance taken by Karl Hungus and Doctor J.

Utter ****ing nonsense.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054939982

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I don't even care about Radiohead - but because of this horse****, i might reconsider. Now its forbidden fruit.

It was bad enough that Karl decided to pursue this puritarian line on rock/metal - this is authoritarian puritarian crap.

What is the reason for this? John2 - does this really benefit the forum? Conversely would allowing the discussion hurt anyone?

This is not a boards.ie policy, this is a moralistic stance taken by Karl Hungus and Doctor J.

Utter ****ing nonsense.

Right, I've discussed this with Doctor J and I agree with him. Illegal downloading is a sticky legal area, the last thing I want is for boards.ie to become a target for IRMA or some other ****ehawks. I see it like discussions on drugs, they're illegal but discussion about them is fine but you don't want people openly discussing when, where and how they've scored their latest hit. There should be enough music out there that's legally released for healthy discussion on a forum like this. Yes a new album by Thom Yorke or Tool is going to be hotly anticipated but remember that ten years ago you'd just have to wait for it to come out.

As far as I'm concerned, unless a band makes an official statement that it is ok to download a leaked album I don't think it should be discussed.

Anyway, being a reasonable man I'm leaving this thread open for debate. If anyone has any informed thoughts on this from any side of the argument, please speak up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

RE*AC*TOR wrote:

Utter ****ing nonsense.

It is not nonsense by any stretch of the imagination!

Boards.ie is liable for what is posted on it. Fact. Music companies and certain bands have been extremely vigorous when pursuing music pirates. Fact. Now think what might happen if any music authority wanted to pursue boards? It's not a stretch of the imagination that boards might have to hand over the identities of the people who are discussing illegally downloaded material.

Don't mistake this for a moralistic stance. If you're downloading things illegally, then it's hardly any of my business, but just don't get boards.ie into trouble aswell.

And honestly, is it too much to ask that people hold their tongues untill the album is officially released? Are you that much of a prick that you'd go out of your way and download an album, and discuss it, even when you know boards.ie is responsible for the content of the site, all out of sheer spite? That's an incredibly childish stance to take on an issue that has serious repercussions for boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Lunar Junkie

Fine, deleted my post on the album. Though I have to agree, banning discussion of it seems more than a little paranoid - do you really think Boards.ie will be liable for actions that people who happen to post on it have committed? It's not like we're posting links for where to get hold of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Isn't it impossible to prove that people in question downloaded it illegally?

I'm sure promoting the actual act and publishing links would make boards liable, aswell as uncredible, but I haven't really seen anything that would make my eye twitch, and I have an understanding that everyone has a positive intention.

Isn't it impossible to prove that people in question downloaded it illegally?

It's not impossible for the police to raid your house if they suspect you're doing something illegal.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Does anyone know when the official release date is?

I don't think a post giving an opinion about an album has any grounds for illegal action.

I don't think a post giving an opinion about an album has any grounds for illegal action.

Even an album that hasn't been legally released yet, and the only way you could have heard it is by obtaining by illegal means? Are you saying the authorities wouldn't get suspicious about that?

The poster could have been sent a promo copy for review. Someone could know the band. Someone could have listened to tracks from the album on MySpace etc.

These are not likely scenarios, but they are not impossible either.

Don't get me wrong, I fully agree with the "no disscussing downloading" rule, but who am I to judge how people are listening to what they're talking about?

If someone posts "I just heard this at myspace" or "I've gotten a promo of the new album by X" then I'll give them the benefit of the doubt (unless everyone starts using these statements as euphamisms). I get promos all the time but usually wait until the album is out before discussing it. However, when a thread is called "Thom Yorke - The Eraser, Leaked!" and people start discussing the album, it doesn't take Hercule Poirot to put two and two together.

John2 wrote:
    Right, I've discussed this with Doctor J and I agree with him. Illegal downloading is a sticky legal area, the last thing I want is for boards.ie to become a target for IRMA or some other ****ehawks.

that's fine I agree, nobody wants that.
    John2 wrote:
    I see it like discussions on drugs, they're illegal but discussion about them is fine but you don't want people openly discussing when, where and how they've scored their latest hit. There should be enough music out there that's legally released for healthy discussion on a forum like this. Yes a new album by Thom Yorke or Tool is going to be hotly anticipated but remember that ten years ago you'd just have to wait for it to come out.

Ten years ago? well ten years ago there was no boards.ie. Why stop there? Perhaps you would like us to mail our contribution to the Alt/Indie forum in by post?
    John2 wrote:
    As far as I'm concerned, unless a band makes an official statement that it is ok to download a leaked album I don't think it should be discussed.

Why not? This forum is for the discussion of music. Leaked music is still music. As long as boards.ie didn't facilitate the leaking, or help people download it, then I don't see how anything could EVER come of it. People discuss leaked things all the time. Leaked government documents, leaky taps etc.

• Advertisement

It is not nonsense by any stretch of the imagination!

yes it is.
    Boards.ie is liable for what is posted on it. Fact. Music companies and certain bands have been extremely vigorous when pursuing music pirates. Fact. Now think what might happen if any music authority wanted to pursue boards? It's not a stretch of the imagination that boards might have to hand over the identities of the people who are discussing illegally downloaded material.

Point out to me one case (in any jurisdiction) where a forum was pursued because somone posted on it discussing an album not yet commercially available (without giving information on how to get it, or any of the other "real world" liabilities that we are familiar with).
    Don't mistake this for a moralistic stance. If you're downloading things illegally, then it's hardly any of my business, but just don't get boards.ie into trouble aswell.

You're right, its not any of you business. Also its common knowledge to the extent of a forums liability. This doesn't fall within that bracket. That's why its not DeV or CLoud making this decision, instead a zealot mod. I thought it was a mods job to enforce the rules, not make them up?
    And honestly, is it too much to ask that people hold their tongues untill the album is officially released?

Yes. It is. Especially because your reasons are nonsense.
    Are you that much of a prick that you'd go out of your way and download an album, and discuss it, even when you know boards.ie is responsible for the content of the site, all out of sheer spite? That's an incredibly childish stance to take on an issue that has serious repercussions for boards.

I am a HUGE prick. I would download a leaked album I didn't even like out of spite (maybe even 2 leaked albums I have no interest in).

As I said, boards.ie would not be liable, if it doesn't facilitate the illegal part (ie the downloading). The discussion of the material, well that's 100% legal.

Its none of your business where any member of boards got the music they are discussing. Don't ask/ Don't tell would be a good policy. Unless someone comes on and start shouting on about torrents or limewire or newsgroups etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

What repercussions? IRMA don't give a rats ass about things being discussed on an insignificant internet message board, they're not exactly prolific in their prosecutions of file sharers ffs!

What possible consequence can there be to DISCUSSING the songs? Radiohead albums have been leaked before and I don't remember any boards mods or admins having a heart attack because people discussed the songs they downloaded.

It's not like anyone has posted links to torrent sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

RE*AC*TOR wrote:

Utter ****ing nonsense.

It is up to the moderator of the forum regarding what is acceptable content, there is no boards.ie policy except for the burden of proof of legality to lie with the poster. My moralistic stance is that this is no place for discussing illegally obtained items or material, be they music, drugs, car stereos, Nike trainers or anything else. You may choose to differ, but as long as the responsibility of modding a forum lies with me, I will do things my way until told otherwise and I will make no apologies or excuses for that. I fully back John2 in whatever choice he makes too. We have discussed this before, so there is no point going through the legalities of the matter again. Your copy of the music is in breach of Irish copyright law. End of story.

As I see it, all this does is announce to everyone that it's available through torrents, that it can be accessed illegally and will, no doubt, be all some people need to head to their client of choice. Should people be allowed to discuss things they stole? I don't believe this is the appropriate place, though I will raise this matter on the moderators forum to see if the smods and admins want to draw up an official Boards.ie policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Whatever about discussing illegal blah blah...
    More likely than not Thom doesn't care if its out there in the public domain, I really doubt he's made this record for financial reasons.
    You gotta be sh*tting me!

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dream brother

Its all gone abit 1984!!!!
    Boards.ie aren't hosting any server where you can download Thom Yorke's album so how can they be opened to be sued! By afew posts that someone else put on here! All that's happening is that afew words are getting strung together to discuss his album, hardly life threating.....as long as no one posts "I got the album on www.X.com" cause then you might have a problem! But now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

Doctor J wrote:
    As I see it, all this does is announce to everyone that it's available through torrents

thanks Doctor J - I was wondering how I might get a hold of it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

Doctor J wrote:
    I fully back John2 in whatever choice he makes too.

Even before you know what it is?

Yes. He moderates this forum, it's his say what stays and what goes. We're both grown ups so if he does things differently to me I don't lose sleep about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭dohboy

I got a leaked copy of people discussing the new Thom Yorke album, if anyone's interested.

• Advertisement

dohboy wrote:
    I got a leaked copy of people discussing the new Thom Yorke album, if anyone's interested.
    :D Nicely done

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement