Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone watch the Den in 1990

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Marts wrote:
    I got a tape for x-mas when I was 5 with Zig, Zag, Ray and Dustin doing a christmas rap, it was f*cking brilliant, but I can't find it anymore

" Well Christmas is coming, Dustins getting fat, zuppy is blue and zag is still a twat.."

Just found my old cassette of the Christmas No 1. Classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

it was soooo cheesey. and Dustin was voiced by someone else

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

so who does the den puppets these days?

is it the rest of the guys from six under the table?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

I remember Simon Youngs music slot at 4:20 on Monday afternoons. He put up a pic of himself and say "ah yes Omar Sherif". He was talking about Tiffany one day "She started singing in a supermarket, now shes stacking the shelves" Dustin used to countdown the top 10 in a racing commentary style classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

I remember when Socky made his debut....anybody else or am I on my own there lol...

They used to "end" the show and he used to shuffle around the den without actually saying anything then they caught him one day and the rest is history :D

Also I have to Snotser was TOP MAN....ah yeah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Munya

:D

Yall are funny reminising.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I remember seeing the bit where they took the puppets off - you just saw a glimpse of the puppeteers and the ads kicked in. Ah the memories - Do you remember when the set was a house/tree house/shed or something and when they talked about their friends it'd be Jonny Johnson, Richie Richardson, Steven Stevenson etc? I remember the had a Vet and a cat but the cat was kind of vicious and used to claw the vet/puppets oh and remeber when Don was on one St Patricks day and he was locked? lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

Elmo wrote:
    I remember the Bosco incident. It wasn't with the puppets it was just the two lads sitting on the sofa. By mistake they went back to the studio.

God I'd love to see that!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

nobody has mentioned snotser. cant remember his second name. real hardcore dub accent. even a bit more risque. think it was the zigs puppeteer who did him. gas man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Juast watched the vid on youtube ... it's scary how familiar a young Ray D'arcy is to me. He has a full had of hair! :eek:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The Den seems to be going back to the 1980s...

Was flicking channels Friday morning when what did I find but the 1980s version of Masters of the Universe, something I hadn't seen in, oh, over 15 years. On RTE Two of all places.

The also seem to be showing Bravestarr and She-Ra in the same time slot, as well as the 1980s version of Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

numorouno wrote:
    nobody has mentioned snotser. cant remember his second name. real hardcore dub accent. even a bit more risque. think it was the zigs puppeteer who did him. gas man

or does anyone remeber snotser the pig one of Dustin construction site crew

click on the above quote to go to the first mention at the top of the previous page, 2nd post.

try reading the whole thread next time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Marts wrote:
    it was soooo cheesey. and Dustin was voiced by someone else

Um no? Its been the same guy doing dustin since the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

I always thought the best was when Simon Young came in to do his gossip, then Dustin appeared and the poor chap would just spend his slot wetting himself laughing. I remember when Young covered for one of the presenters and himself and Dustin were doing a cookery slot.........classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

oh i still have the nothing to do with toast video and the christmas no.1 tape!! the den was so class then!! Ray fighting with Ted was classic!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

What about the sofa? All day it was sat upon by Ian & co., but when the show was over it got a few seconds on camera all by itself.

"Hello sofa fans..."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I found my "Smile of the Week" certificate, last week, that I won from Dempseys Den. My parents framed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I was born in 1991 so I kind of missed teh 80s stuff, however i do remember watching something called Den 10, Dempesy and Ray were doing it, Zig Zag, Dustin, Sokey etc were there.
    Also, did anyone collect teh Dustin doll things over the years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭EWheelChair

Jace and the Wheeled Warriors, Ulysses 31, Mysterious Cities of Gold.

Google for their theme music, you'll be smacked in the face by nostalgia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭mobby

Anyone now what happened to Simon Young never hear of him anymore,

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Evil_Bilbo

I thought podge was inaminate for a while - like he was a puppet that zag was using.

Then one day "after the show" the camera was still there, Ian, zig and zag had left and podge "came to life" and started saying really evil freaky stuff. This ring any bells?

remember the song "podge and zag, podge and zag, podge and zag, the podge and zag show"

socky snotzer et al were just useless in comparison to the early days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

yeah he was saying all stuff to poor Zag and then doing stuff and letting Zag take the blame - none of them believed that Podge was 'real'. Haha just remembered this - Zag's friend Captain Joke. Everybody thought it was Zag dressed up and then one day after the show Captain Joke came along and was talking to Zag!:eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Evil_Bilbo

wow yeah - I remember that captain joke thing - they were'nt the same person at all - deadly! sophisticated humour back in them days I tell ya.

Its a far cry from that dog on mary kingstons show or that freaky high-voiced computery leprechaun on tg4 - is he supposed to reck the head?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

Evil_Bilbo wrote:

remember the song "podge and zag, podge and zag, podge and zag, the podge and zag show"

"Podge and Zag, they're really good buddies, podge and Zag, it's the podge and Zag show"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I found my "Smile of the Week" certificate, last week, that I won from Dempseys Den. My parents framed it.

Smile of the Week, :D I had forgotten that they did that, with colgate yeah?

Remember the Bedtime Story and the Rotten Apple Club.

Zag: Once upon a time in a land not so very far way their lived a Fairy in a castle....

Zig: I though I didn't have to dress up in a dress this time ......

Zag: Just keep going .....

And then they always seemed to bring a bus in to the story!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Villaricos wrote:
    oh i still have the nothing to do with toast video and the christmas no.1 tape!! the den was so class then!! Ray fighting with Ted was classic!!! :D
    I found my Christmas No.1 tape in the back of a closet a few weeks back and in these days of mp3 players and all that, I own absolutely nothing that can play the thing! I need to go buy a tape player specifically to play it.

Wonder if they still sell these? http://pocket.free.fr/html/sharp/rd-720_e.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭The Song Thrush

corblimey wrote:
    I found my Christmas No.1 tape in the back of a closet a few weeks back and in these days of mp3 players and all that, I own absolutely nothing that can play the thing! I need to go buy a tape player specifically to play it.

Wonder if they still sell these? http://pocket.free.fr/html/sharp/rd-720_e.html
    I made an mp3 of it from the original tape. PM me if you want it.

I still remember when my sister gave it to me for Christmas... must have been around 1990. You'd be surprised how different Dustin's voice is in it, I don't ever remember him being less nasal...

They also use the word "twat" in it, back when twat meant "idiot" and not "cúnt". My how times have changed. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Elmo wrote:
    Smile of the Week, :D I had forgotten that they did that, with colgate yeah?

Remember the Bedtime Story and the Rotten Apple Club.

Zag: Once upon a time in a land not so very far way their lived a Fairy in a castle....

Zig: I though I didn't have to dress up in a dress this time ......

Zag: Just keep going .....

And then they always seemed to bring a bus in to the story!!!!!
    And here it is:
    DSC01838-thumb.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Evil_Bilbo wrote:
    I thought podge was inaminate for a while - like he was a puppet that zag was using.

Then one day "after the show" the camera was still there, Ian, zig and zag had left and podge "came to life" and started saying really evil freaky stuff. This ring any bells?
    Yep i was watching that. Did the evil cackle then too. It was the talk of my school afterwards, although a lot of kids had Sky and watched DJ Kat and stuff like that instead. I was stuck in Poverty 1 and Poverty 2 land.

Advertisement