Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone watch the Den in 1990

Options
  • 30-05-2006 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hey whats the craic
    I was reading today, on wikipedia, about an incident on the den(RTE kids show)were zig and zag lost their patience with a child on-air and cried "aw fer **** sake" just wondering if ANYBODY could suply me with a link or video of this incident
    many thanks

funky_buddah

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Dont hold out much chance on getting that...but would love to see it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

i remember one incident (must have been early 90s) when they cut for a break, but the camera stayed rolling and zig and zuppys puppeteers took off their puppets and you could see them for a brief second or two. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The Den was SO quality. There were a lot of in-jokes that would go over the kids' heads but had adults or older kids in knots. Zig, Zag and Dustin - a truly great comic combination. Iano tearing his hair out at trying to keep the peace and stopping them from saying anything too outrageous was also brilliant. When Ray came along, people were a bit cynical, but he proved the critics wrong. Not the same since - although that could be something to do with the fact that I wasn't going to stay 12 forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Yid wonder if The Den legends are actually true, theres a handful of stories regarding on air swearing and the like. Apparently, an adbreak inadvertandtly cut short, and Zig and Zag were tossing Bosco around the studio roaring "Bosco is a bollix!"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I remember the Bosco incident. It wasn't with the puppets it was just the two lads sitting on the sofa. By mistake they went back to the studio.

Also the wikipedia is very wrong. E.g. The Den went of the air for 3months and didn't return for 2weeks during the summer. At the end of the year they sometimes when abroad but never for St. Patrick's day, Zig and Zag used to return on St. Patrick's day as two american tourist looking for their ancestors.

With a shallelly up be nose and a ________________ I will be of to connamara in the mornin'

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Elmo wrote:
    With a shallelly up be nose and a ________________ I will be of to connamara in the mornin'

:D
    It may have 'and a shamrock in my.....' eh... something.... I'll go with 'ear'

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

It may have 'and a shamrock in my.....' eh... something.... I'll go with 'ear'

A shamrock up me arse (I think they did actually say it) God Irish Children's TV was way a head of its time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

Dudess wrote:
    although that could be something to do with the fact that I wasn't going to stay 12 forever.

a lot of viewers were much older then this. well when i say much, i mean late teens early 20's. this is old compared to the target audience. heard an interview with the raymeister before and he said he always gets people saying "i failed my college exams because i was watching too much of the den"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

I remember when Zig and Zag first appeared on Demsey's Den, their fights with Ted were always the best and Podge was Zags imaginary evil friend......memories. The song they used to sing was ..."with a shallelly in me ear and a shamrock up me nose i'll be off to Connamara in the mornin'"

T&#225 wrote: »
    a lot of viewers were much older then this. well when i say much, i mean late teens early 20's. this is old compared to the target audience. heard an interview with the raymeister before and he said he always gets people saying "i failed my college exams because i was watching too much of the den"

True. I suppose it obviously went downhill when Zig and Zag left - 93/94 direction.
    Yeah, I remember evil Podge - but he was a really well-mannered and sweet little boy to them and only the audience knew he was evil. Or did one of the characters know, but couldn't get the others to believe him and he got given out to for being so mean to poor little Podge? Genius.:D
    Remember Panda too? He was just a big stuffed cuddly toy but was treated as a member of the Den "family". Again, surreal genius!
    And Zuppi, their puppy. Remember Zig and Zag cried and everything because Iano was hesitant about getting them a puppy!
    Edit: Or was Panda Ted?

• Advertisement

Zig knew that Podge was evil but he was sweet to everyone else it was a bit like that movie Childs Play with that freaky doll Chucky,yes the panda was Ted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭arctic lemur

Rodge made an appearance too at some stage. Remember Zig and Xags Aunty Monica?

Zig knew that Podge was evil but he was sweet to everyone else it was a bit like that movie Childs Play with that freaky doll Chucky,yes the panda was Ted

And when Zig tried to point out that Podge wasn't as sweet as he seemed, Iano/Ray (can't remember which) got very cross and reprimanded him for saying such slanderous, cruel things about poor little Podge! And Podge would just act all hurt and innocent. Gotta love it!

Zig used to dress up as Captain U-Boat. I loved them, i got Zig and Zag slippers one x-mas they were brilliant, they were big and fluffy and had zogabongs and big bulgy eyes the left one was Zag and the right was Zig. I think i wore them so much that they were literally falling to bits by the time my mum threw them out....i miss them, i want to wear them now

Rodge made an appearance too at some stage. Remember Zig and Xags Aunty Monica?

Yeah, and Cousin Nigel! They hated him. He was such a little mummy's boy - like Kevin in The Undertones' song My Perfect Cousin.
    Remember the Zig and Zag books - Nothing To Do With Toast and The Fridge in the Denim Jacket :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

Tha Gopher wrote:
    Zig and Zag were tossing Bosco around the studio roaring "Bosco is a bollix!"

urban legend, never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Funniest bit of all was when zig used to put his upper head in his mouth then open it and his head would pop back up.....genius!

zuutroy wrote:
    Funniest bit of all was when zig used to put his upper head in his mouth then open it and his head would pop back up.....genius!

Oh yeah! I can picture it. Ah, to be back in 1986 (as an eight-year-old of course. I can't imagine life in Ireland for a young adult being too sweet in '86)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

The only footage of Dempsey's Den / The Den from its inception (1986) until around 1993 is amateur off-air VHS recorded by a fan of the show. Thankfully, he was so religious in his taping that the complete series exists. Only in Ireland...

what have the kids got now? nothing they'll all be writing about in 10/15 years.

nobody mentioned socky...probably deservedly!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Amorphous Head

T&#225 wrote: »

nobody mentioned socky...probably deservedly!

was it socky who had the blue bucket

remember Podge took over the Den for a day and promised back to back Echo Island and everyone HATED echo island,

or does anyone remeber snotser the pig one of Dustin construction site crew

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

When they first appeared on the den there was only one of them. I can never remember which, i think it was Zag. Then his brother appeared a month or so later.

Man, they were sweet times. I was 14 in 86 and my friends and I used to watch the den religiously into our late teens twenties just for zig, zag and dustin. It really was one of the best irish shows ever put on air.

socky had a blue bucket yeah

snotser was a worker on the site yeah. we never seen him though. dustin was always shouting at him

Dustaz wrote:
    When they first appeared on the den there was only one of them. I can never remember which, i think it was Zag. Then his brother appeared a month or so later.

Man, they were sweet times. I was 14 in 86 and my friends and I used to watch the den religiously into our late teens twenties just for zig, zag and dustin. It really was one of the best irish shows ever put on air.

Wasn't it Zig (the sandy-coloured guy) who appeared first? And I don't remember how he got there. Was he just next to Ian one day and Ian introduced him, or was there something more dramatic than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

If any of you want to catch Zig and Zag they on Nickelodeon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

or does anyone remeber snotser the pig one of Dustin construction site crew
    snotser weather forcatss classic
    Eh it's either gonna rain, or eh it's not gonna rain, right :D

magnumlady wrote:
    If any of you want to catch Zig and Zag they on Nickelodeon.

Yeah, all nicely packaged for UK television. Not the same unfortunately.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    The only footage of Dempsey's Den / The Den from its inception (1986) until around 1993 is amateur off-air VHS recorded by a fan of the show. Thankfully, he was so religious in his taping that the complete series exists. Only in Ireland...

I think we'd all love to see that, do you know the guy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭funky_buddah

Remember the Evil panda? He was the man, his fights with Darcey were epic, and it was great when he'd throw him off and the crew would just **** him back at Ray.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I was born in 86 so I can't remember Ian Dempsey on the Den, I can only remember Ray, and I watched it religiously. Zig & Zag were legends! and Ted was classic. He was, as far as I know anyway, short lived, after a while they had the Ted-Free Zone. the Den these days is muck, they tried to do a call back to Evil Podge with some duck or something, terrible.

I got a tape for x-mas when I was 5 with Zig, Zag, Ray and Dustin doing a christmas rap, it was f*cking brilliant, but I can't find it anymore

Advertisement