Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Help

Options
  • 26-05-2006 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Okay first of all sorry mods if this is the wrong place to post this in I didn't really know where to put it. Recentley I've been thinking about my music taste and noticed I haven't discovered an artist/ band that I REALLY like yet. I usually listen to music all day until I get sick of it. Since there's nothing better than discovering new music I was wondering could anyone give me some bands that you like.

Stuff similar to... Interpol, Death In Vegas, New Order, Joy Division. Brandnew, Muse, The Black Keys, Oceansize, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The Strokes, The Arcade Fire, Bellx1, My Vitriol, Bloc Party, Bullet For My Valentine, Death From Above 1979, Radiohead, The Decemberists, Echo and the Bunny Men, Tool, APC, Explosions in the Sky, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Jeff Buckley, Katatonia [NOT Catatonia], Kraftwerk, The Libertines, Mad Season, Alice In Chains, Nirvana, The Mars Volta, Massive Attack, The Melvins, Minor Threat, Modest Mouse, Monster Magnet, Mother Love Bone, Mr. Bungle, My Bloody Valentine, Neil Young, Pearl Jam, Pixies, Smashing Pumkins, The Postal Service, Placebo, Queen, Rainbow, The Shins, Sigur Ros, Spoon, The Velvet Underground, The Smiths, The Vines, Zita Swoon.

Those are the main bands that I've been listening to in the past few years. Just wondering do you spot a niche [that's if you took time to read all them] ...like, what am I missing out on. Is there any other band/s you could recommend me that I haven't listened to.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

There's some great bans in that list! And you don't really like any of them? Maybe you should focus more on a select few...other than that try the Beatles!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

maybe you should try another genre instead of indie? Maybe try out some hip-hop (hip-hop not rap) or house/electro?

Some recommendations
    Common / Juarasic 5 / De La Soul / The Pharycade / Roots / Mos Def
    Royskoop / Zero 7 / LCD Soundsystem / The Go Team! / Bjork / Kings of Tomorrow / Masters @ Work / Sigur Ros / Bran Van 3000 / Danny Krivitt

Maybe even some Jazz/Soul/Funk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

Hehe gotta love The Beatles...I'm not saying I don't really like them just got tired of them.
    Cool thanks for those Rollo Tamasi I'll check them out some of them I've heard. I love hip hop actually my ex boyfriend was obsessed and got me into... Kill The Vultures, Dalek, Madlib, Jimmy Edgars 'Access Rhythm EP', TTC, DJ Vadim, Prime Cuts 'Hip-Hop dont stop' mix cd, Kid Koala, Drum Machine, Daedelus, Diplo, Quiet Storm, mSearch & Destroy, Dubchild, Markone stuff like that.
    I can't stand Jazz/Soul :p I was very into Dance/Trance/House a few years back when I was 15/16 but kind of grew out of it. I'd listen to anything really [except Jazz/Soul/Country Western/ Traditional:D] Even like a bit of Metal like Emperor, 1349, In Flames.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

First of all... Nice taste, i'm into the exact same bands as you, like the way way you Interpol first too, there easily my favourite! I get bored of the same bands too, its good to keep listening to other stuff.
    I'd strongly recommend Clap your Hands Say Yeah, they're the best band Ive heard all year.
    Other than that my other favourites are; The Secret Mchines, The Cure, Rage Against The Machine, Editors, British Sea Power, Kings of Leon, Queens Of The Stone Age, The Flaming Lips, Future Kings of Spain, We Are Scientists, or Broken Social Scene. I'd recommend all of them if you havent heard them.
    If you're lokking for some older music maybe give David Bowie or the Kinks a listen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

Hope Of The States, luxembourg, DJ Shadow, The National, The Dears, Dan Sartain, Belle And Sebastian

just some suggestions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

get some Gang of Four you can never have enough Gang of Four

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

get some Gang of Four you can never have enough Gang of Four

Get Entertainment by Gang of Four. While you're at it, get Henry's Dream by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. And Things We Lost in the Fire by Low. If you like Godspeed, check out the side project A Silver Mount Zion, especially their last album Horses in the Sky. Have you ever listened to Bonnie 'Prince' Billy? What about Wire? Both are essential. There's an Italian band called Larsen who've released a few albums in the last few years, they're pretty excellent. Might be another one to check out. You seem to like an awful lot of the same bands I do so I think my suggestions should be ok.

Actually, Tower Records sell a lot of the Rough Trade double CD compilations quite cheap, I recommend buying the Post Punk, Electronic, 25 Years Collection, Rock and Roll and the Counter Culture ones. They cover an awful lot of great bands that may raise an eyebrow or two on your face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Get Entertainment by Gang of Four
    Agreed
    While you're at it, get Henry's Dream by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

I prefer let love in but each to thier own
    What about Wire?

Again quality band and their first few albums were recently reissued get Chairs Missing
    Actually, Tower Records sell a lot of the Rough Trade double CD compilations quite cheap, I recommend buying the Post Punk, Electronic, 25 Years Collection, Rock and Roll and the Counter Culture ones. They cover an awful lot of great bands that may raise an eyebrow or two on your face.

Indeed the post punk one is exceptional

also Slint-Spiderland and Television-Maquee Moon are essental for any semi snobbish rock fan

I prefer let love in but each to thier own

I do too but Henry's Dream I think is a better starting point.

Again quality band and their first few albums were recently reissued get Chairs Missing

The older reissues in the jewel cases are better than the new ones. There's no real difference in terms of sound but the jewel case ones had about a dozen bonus tracks on each of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

John2 wrote:
    The older reissues in the jewel cases are better than the new ones. There's no real difference in terms of sound but the jewel case ones had about a dozen bonus tracks on each of them.

Agreed. The three 1994 remasters are just fine.

There's a box coming out with the new versions and two live albums. Will cost around £50. Would be nice if someone bought it for me as a present.

My favourite Wire album remains Document And Eyewitness. Anyone else like it?

Re: original poster

Add
    The Fall
    Guided By Voices

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    There's a box coming out with the new versions and two live albums. Will cost around £50. Would be nice if someone bought it for me as a present.

I think the live albums will be made available separately too.
    My favourite Wire album remains Document And Eyewitness. Anyone else like it?

I haven't got this one. Much like The Fall, my Wire collection is criminally undernourished.

First of all... Nice taste, i'm into the exact same bands as you, like the way way you Interpol first too, there easily my favourite!
    I love Interpol and Paul Banks is the sexiest man alive haha... http://www.myspace.com/shewantsrevenge Similar to Interpol if ya haven't heard of them.
    I like The Cure and The Flaming Lips the rest I'll check out thanks.
    Hope Of The States, Luxembourg, The National, The Dears, Dan Sartain, Belle And Sebastian, The Fall, Guided By VoicesGang of Four, Nick Cave
    Never heard of any of them thanks again.
    Have you ever listened to Bonnie 'Prince' Billy?
    I've a friend who's obsessed he's played in Galway or will be?

He might have played there recently. He played in Dublin a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Sufjan Stevens? His album Illinios is a classic (IMO of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭legologic

John2 wrote:
    He might have played there recently. He played in Dublin a few weeks ago.
    yeah he played both. As far as Sufjan goes, while Illinois is an amazing album and deserved of all the praise it gets I really really liked Seven Swans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'd agree with the recommendation of Nick Cave. Try also Green Carnation and Porcupine Tree. If you like some Metal, then how about Nevermore?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Giruilla wrote:
    I'd strongly recommend Clap your Hands Say Yeah, they're the best band Ive heard all year.

As would I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Brother To God

i would recommend bands connected to your list in some shape or form!
    like:

domakesaythink,
    black flag,
    fugazi,
    cat power,
    fantomas,
    tomahawk,
    65 days of static,
    slowdive,
    broken social scene,
    sliver mount zion,
    minotaur shock,
    rogue wave,
    primus,
    rites of spring,
    the six parts seven,
    milemarker,
    a moment of stillness,
    aphex twin,
    drop nineteens,

you should get the subpop comps as they are less than five euro! and always have something good on them,and as already recommended to you the rough tradecomps are great too! Hope you find something u like :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

Crucifix wrote:
    Sufjan Stevens? His album Illinios is a classic (IMO of course).

On a side not, im wearing a Sufjan Illinios t-shirt at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

wow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Rich_Why

Instead of looking for bands that sound like the ones you listen to, try and find where they've found influence and then you'll find some gems. Reading the list of bands you've got there, I see some stuff I love, some stuff I like and some stuff I wouldn't have time for to be honest.

What I recommend to you, which I'm sure you'll love;

Sonic Youth,
    The Jesus & Mary Chain,
    Gang of Four,
    My Bloody Valentine,
    Deus,
    Wire,
    The Sound,

Just a few classics for you to check out brother :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

I strongly second the Sonic Youth recommendation!

Didn't get around to checking everything out but from the ones I did I love

Green Carnation
    Porcupine Tree :)
    and Gang Of Four

Oh and Thanks Rich_Why I'll have a listen to them too eventually :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Judean Reg

If it hasn't already been mentioned, have a go of I am Kloot, I am Kloot. It's a class album. Other than that, maybe try Death Cab For Cutie (probably the best ever name for a band), their album Transatlanticism is quality stuff. I am currently giving Amos Lee a whirl and it is impressive enough. Maybe you could check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

odhran wrote:
    I strongly second the Sonic Youth recommendation!

And I strongly third it!! :D:D Especially loooking at your tastes I think you'd like them a lot.

Just get Daydream Nation and listen to it fully through a couple of times. At first it might seem very weird, perhaps hard to get into, but after a while.... wow.....

An experience no alternative music lover should be without.

I'd second the Aphex Twin recommendation also, completely turned my view on electronic music upside-down.

Other recommendations:
    Nine Inch Nails
    Lightning Bolt
    Yes
    Pink Floyd(esp. early stuff with Syd Barrett ie. Piper at the Gates of Dawn)

Thanks JC 2K3, never heard of Lightening Bolt or Yes :)

Starting to like My Bloody Valentine and Sonic Youth

This thread was such a good idea keeps me busy :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

ThrownAway wrote:
    Thanks JC 2K3, never heard of Lightening Bolt or Yes :)

Well Lightning Bolt are new, very loud, and very experimental. Brilliant drummer, they play a style of unique noise rock.

Yes on the other hand are a relatively famous "symphonic prog rock" band from the 70s, considered by many to be one of the greatest prog rock bands ever.

I randomly chose a bunch of bands that play quite different styles seeing as you seem to be pretty open minded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

ThrownAway wrote:
    Didn't get around to checking everything out but from the ones I did I love

Green Carnation
    Porcupine Tree :)
    and Gang Of Four

Oh and Thanks Rich_Why I'll have a listen to them too eventually :p

Glad you liked Green Carnation and Porcupine Tree. Two very under-rated bands that just don't get the recognition they deserve.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Well Lightning Bolt are new, very loud, and very experimental. Brilliant drummer, they play a style of unique noise rock.

Lightning Bolt aren't that new, are they? I was under the impression that they'd been around for years...

Advertisement