Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neo Feminism

Options
  • 26-05-2006 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭

Heard this on Dave Fanning the other night and was suprised with the response. Basically they were discussing the ditzy women such as Jade Goody, Chantelle etc who are millionaires. The point was made that it was women who were making them millionaires by buying mags and such for a glimpse of their lives.

The conversation then suggested that the women of today are no longer the powerful, independant individuals they thought they were.

Now im not starting a women vs men thread, Im curious to know what the women out there actually think of complete morons such as Jade. We all hate these people but yet someone is interested in them as they sell mags.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,111 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

All part of the dumbing down process, if you ask me... Give the public what it wants.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Women who aren't interested in the lives of Jade, Chantelle, Jordan and the other plethora of idiots out there, are very much in the minority. Women want to be famous, it's really that simple. Since they can't be, they're happy to live vicariously through those who are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

When you refer to "women of today" do you mean English and Irish women, or all women from all over the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    All part of the dumbing down process, if you ask me... Give the public what it wants.
    'Bread and circuses' were always just as popular with the womenfolk, as any good herstorian will tell you...:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Who are Jade Goody and Chantelle?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I dont know who they are either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

The ideal woman is quiet reserved, only speaks when she is spoken to, and gets on with her job in the kitchen dilligently.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Jade Goody and Chantelle are "celebrities" famous for appearing on Big Brother.

I find it hard to believe either of them are millionaires or admired by the majority of women.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

Im curious to know what the women out there actually think of complete morons such as Jade.

I think that they are just that: morons.
    They don't really deserve any of their fame or money, but then again it is our fault that they're still here because we, the public, keep buying those ridiculous magazines.
    <grrr...insert more rant here>

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Earthhorse wrote:
    Jade Goody and Chantelle are "celebrities" famous for appearing on Big Brother.

I find it hard to believe either of them are millionaires or admired by the majority of women.
    That stupid show :mad: I can't believe that crap is still going on
    pathetic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

seamus wrote:
    Women who aren't interested in the lives of Jade, Chantelle, Jordan and the other plethora of idiots out there, are very much in the minority.
    Sad but true. I'm sick of so many of my fellow females being obsessed with celebrity crap. When I want to talk to people about good music, film, literature etc, I usually turn to the male of the species. I live with four girls and I can't stand it. Every evening the TV is hijacked by soaps and reality TV. I want to move in with lads.
    seamus wrote:
    Women want to be famous, it's really that simple. Since they can't be, they're happy to live vicariously through those who are.
    Not all women. And I'm sure plenty of lads want to be famous. There are those who want to be famous for something decent too. They're not all Jade wannabes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

people like that make me ashamed of my gender

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

peckerhead wrote:
    'Bread and circuses' were always just as popular with the womenfolk, as any good herstorian will tell you...:rolleyes:
    So can I quote you on that, seraphina? (just in arguments with my wife, promise..!) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Seraphina wrote:

Thats something of a relief. Kerry Katona was another who was mentioned. She has this image as the poor mother left to mind the kids. Apparently younger people look up to this person as a good mother. Seems to me shes too busy sticking her tongue out to be a role model.

It bugs me that people like this are famous for nothing. Why the hell do they sell mags?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Why the hell do they sell mags?
    who buys the mags? - the mob.

who are the mob? - The mob is Rome.

watch gladiator, its all in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Meh, entertainment for the dumb masses. A lot of men fall for that shíte too - look at the success of soccer, for example.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Seraphina wrote:
    word.
    Celebrity stuff just drives me nuts. It's so silly, yet people care so much about it!

simu wrote:
    Meh, entertainment for the dumb masses. A lot of men fall for that shíte too - look at the success of soccer, for example.

Sport is loved by men and women. Sports men and women are extremely talented individuals. The people in question have no talent, no brains or nothing to offer the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

could be an interesting discussion.....

Sport is loved by men and women. Sports men and women are extremely talented individuals. The people in question have no talent, no brains or nothing to offer the world.

Look, spectator sport is basically entertainment. Sports people have a talent for what they do but it doesn't really do anything in terms of understanding the human experience or advancing scientific knowledge or anything. Muppets on reality TV shows have a "talent" for entertaining people (although I personally don't get it).

Sure, soccer etc have been around a lot longer but ultimately, is the ability of a person to get a ball to go between two goalposts any more impressive than the ability of another person to act like a clown on TV?

• Advertisement

could be an interesting discussion.....

Yip.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

simu wrote:
    Sure, soccer etc have been around a lot longer but ultimately, is the ability of a person to get a ball to go between two goalposts any more impressive than the ability of another person to act like a clown on TV?

Is a person training so that they break an olympic record in the 100m/whatever more impressive?

nesf wrote:
    Is a person training so that they break an olympic record in the 100m/whatever more impressive?

No.

simu wrote:
    No.

Ah. See I think you are totally wrong since there is more to life than knowledge. :)

nesf wrote:
    Ah. See I think you are totally wrong since there is more to life than knowledge. :)

It's all entertainment. Not that there's anything wrong with entertainment.

simu wrote:
    Look, spectator sport is basically entertainment. Sports people have a talent for what they do but it doesn't really do anything in terms of understanding the human experience or advancing scientific knowledge or anything. Muppets on reality TV shows have a "talent" for entertaining people (although I personally don't get it).

I accept your point but I disagree. I think the real focus of this is that men have always watched sport, its expected of them. Women have historically been in the shade of men. And after a lifetime of disrespect they are now on a par. Is this latest craze a set back? Young women growing up aspiring to be like these morons. Young women seeing this the route to success. Yes it is a route to success but not a respectable route.

simu wrote:
    It's all entertainment. Not that there's anything wrong with entertainment.

Ah but you equate it with entertainment "for the dumb masses" thus giving it negative connotations. So, in essence, you are saying there are things wrong with some kinds of entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭dragonkin

Well I agree to a certain amount that sport can be viewed as mindless entertainment however it is important to realise that at a deeper level sport is about being the best you can be, throwing everything you having into achieving your true potential and enjoying life.

There is something great about watching people play for the sheer love of it.

I don't agree with the professional era tho. I think it makes a mockery about all that is good with sport that applies to both Football and (less so) Rugby. I just hope the GAA can stand their ground.

I accept your point but I disagree. I think the real focus of this is that men have always watched sport, its expected of them. Women have historically been in the shade of men. And after a lifetime of disrespect they are now on a par. Is this latest craze a set back? Young women growing up aspiring to be like these morons. Young women seeing this the route to success. Yes it is a route to success but not a respectable route.

Uh, I don't see hoardes of women dropping out of school or whatever to go on reality TV. For most, watching that stuff is harmless fantasy.
    nesf wrote:
    Ah but you equate it with entertainment "for the dumb masses" thus giving it negative connotations. So, in essence, you are saying there are things wrong with some kinds of entertainment.

Nah, I'm just saying it doesn't require major intellectual strain on the part of the viewer. I just find it odd that the OP would get so annoyed about one form of brain-dead entertainment when there are so many out there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Im curious to know what the women out there actually think of complete morons such as Jade. We all hate these people but yet someone is interested in them as they sell mags.

I don't think Jade and Chantelle are complete morons. I think fair play to them for finding a niche and making their money on it. They obviously has something which appeals.

I think the people who are morons are the people buying this sh!t.

It's like all these celebrities complaining about paparazzi invading their private lives. But paparazzi are only supplying a demand because people - the public - want to see celebrities out jogging or walking their kids or other mundane stuff that anybody in their right mind wouldn't give a toss about.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement