Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRL: 2X15 - "Maternity Leave" [**SPOILERS WITHIN**]

Options
  • 23-05-2006 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭

IRL: 2X15 - "Maternity Leave" [**SPOILERS WITHIN**]

Just filling in for the other lost forum guys. I think they are doing a brilliant job, and obviously couldnt make it to the computer to start an IRL thread. Hope nobody minds me creating a thread (in basquille's usual format:p ) for RTE viewers.

link to US discussion

Have to say, absolutly fantastic episode. In my mind the best of season 2 so far. So many fascinating aspects, can't believe they covered so much ground in this episode, there really was 3 times more information given in this one compared to your average season 2 ep!

The revelation for me had to be Kate going into the locker rooms, the finding of the stage glue and scruff-bag costumes has turned the whole aspect of "others" on its head. Are we back to there being plane crash survivers and Dharma employee's? (desmond and danielle do need to be explained however.)

I'll mill this one over in my head and throw up some thoughts tomorow.

What did you make of IRL 2X15: "Maternity Leave?" 39 votes

0% 0 votes
    15% 6 votes
    38% 15 votes
    35% 14 votes
    7% 3 votes
    2% 1 vote
    0% 0 votes
    0% 0 votes
    0% 0 votes
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Thought it was a fascinating episode and gave it a 9.

So many interesting aspects. Ethan's real job revealed. The others hideout. Location of Danielle's baby revealed.

But, have the others moved to somewhere else or what? Are there two sets of others because I think that the zeke ones are different to the ones that whisper about the place and go around in their bare feet.

I don't know, but a really great episode, only beaten to best so far by the one shannon is killed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I enjoyed it also.
    I gave it an 8, mostly because of the amount of ground covered.

We are obviously now lead to believe that:

1. The others are acted out by the 'dharma' people.
    2. This is some kind of human expirement
    3. The French womans daughter helped Claire out, so therfore she is still alive & on the island
    4. Henry Gale seems to be testing Locke, the comment about taking orders from Jack was obviously a calculated move. Also, it would suggest that Gale knows of Locke & Jacks past encounters (i.e. They whole group are being studied since they landed on the island).

I also enjoyed the expression on Gales face when Mr Ekko (sp) first walked into his cell.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Are there two sets of others because I think that the zeke ones are different to the ones that whisper about the place and go around in their bare feet

I would have thought they are the same people.
    Didn't Kate find the ragged clothing and fake beard in a locker in the hideout where Claire had been kept?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Evil_Bilbo

really good episode - loadsa stuff going on. Possibly best yet in S2. One thing that really bugs the hell out of me is why didnt kate/claire tell the other losties
    "hey - guess what - we found this other hatch...that guys beard is fake.....claire remembers what happened her".

Why do they never tell each other anything? Whatever about the "logical" explanation behind all the wierd and wonderful stuff that happens on the island, there really is no explanation for the total lack of communication between the survivors.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Evil_Bilbo

was hoping to see henry in the other's hideout in the flashbacks. There's defo somethin up with him - reckon he must be an other.

Where are the others now? No sign of em in their hatch, but some of their clothes / gear is still there - what are they at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I also gave it an 8. Fascinating episode, but I'd probably take 2 marks away because I was a little disappointed that there were no major revelations in the second hatch. Although, it was interesting when Kate found the costumes and the theatrical glue/fake beard.
    Also, as I said on the US thread, Locke's reaction was a bit over the top. I don't think the Locke of season 1 would have been played like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Evil_Bilbo wrote:
    was hoping to see henry in the other's hideout in the flashbacks. There's defo somethin up with him - reckon he must be an other.

Where are the others now? No sign of em in their hatch, but some of their clothes / gear is still there - what are they at?

if they want you to think he is an other , then he must be anything but an other....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

Has anybody seen the movie The Village?? Well if you have do you think that there is something similar going on in Lost where the Dharma employees are dressing up as the 'Others' to create the illusion of something sinister out in the jungle...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Very good episode. A second hatch really heats things up.

2 things I didn't like about it:
    Locke being upset because the prisoner asked if Jack calls the shots. Seems un-Locke-like to be wound up that easy.

Claire being one annoying beatch, all she does is scream and whine. Almost up there with Michael's "They took my boy"!
    Emilie de Ravin, the actress playing her, must get really angry every time she get a new script, "Oh sh!t, not more screaming and whining" :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

biko wrote:
    Claire being one annoying beatch, all she does is scream and whine.

That drives me insane. I hate Claire. She's so f*cking ungrateful and demanding! She didn't want the kid in the first place but as soon as she has it, she starts acting like it's been her life's desire to have it. Jack did his best to help her, but she just flounced off in a sulk. I feel like screaming "GROW UP!!" at the screen whenever she's there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

biko wrote:
    Very good episode. A second hatch really heats things up.

What about the place the tailies were hiding out in, where Mr. Eko found his bible, is that not a hatch, i.e. is last night's not the 3rd hatch ?

I'm getting worried that the diverse strands may never be resolved satisfactorily. But I'm not giving up .. yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Agree with the comments on Claire. In fact, all three women, Kate, Claire and Rouseau, were written as slightly hysterical in last night's ep. The scene in the jungle was just annoying.

Still, it didn't spoil the episode which was one of the best this season so far. For the first time, I'm actually interested in what's going on behind the scenes in the island. They've finally given us enough information for interest to be justified.

The Locke of this season is not the same man we got to know in season one. But then, all the characters in Lost are slightly inconsistent. Sayid has reneged on his promise not to torture again, and Jack, who objected most to holding Henry Gale hostage, now seems to want to do so for as long as it takes.

I'm glad the flashbacks were to Claire's time on the island. It was a clever mechanic that gave the episode an extra oomph. And I spotted Malcolm's old buddy in the form of Alex too! Obviously, she's leaves the island every September to attend another year of high school.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Earthhorse wrote:
    The Locke of this season is not the same man we got to know in season one. But then, all the characters in Lost are slightly inconsistent. Sayid has reneged on his promise not to torture again, and Jack, who objected most to holding Henry Gale hostage, now seems to want to do so for as long as it takes.
    I think Jack objected to torture, not holding him hostage. He's taking the middle road between "he's a normal guy" and "he's an other".
    I'm really getting disapointed with Locke. Gale's play at the end was so horribly blatent, like something from a bad sitcom, having Locke fall for it an a big way just made me cringe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭loon

why doesn't locke just ask the island what to do??

.. it seems that they haven't been on speaking terms this season..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

biko wrote:
    2 things I didn't like about it:
    Locke being upset because the prisoner asked if Jack calls the shots. Seems un-Locke-like to be wound up that easy.

Claire being one annoying beatch, all she does is scream and whine. Almost up there with Michael's "They took my boy"!
    Yes, yes and yes. :D

Some of characters are getting so annoying you wish the "others" would take them (or Mr Eko bosh them with his stick).

Good ep though - hooray for new stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Crucifix wrote:
    I think Jack objected to torture, not holding him hostage. He's taking the middle road between "he's a normal guy" and "he's an other".
    I'm really getting disapointed with Locke. Gale's play at the end was so horribly blatent, like something from a bad sitcom, having Locke fall for it an a big way just made me cringe.
    There was a theory over on the US thread of this episode that Locke done the show of anger delibrately so that Gale would think that he had gotten to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Loved it it up there with the best.

It seems Mr. Eko likes symbolism ie.not talkin for 40 days and his boshing stick with all the scripture on it and the two little bits in his beard that he cut off.

I think they(others) abanndoned the hatch because Claire got away maybe they felt the were comprimised. As for the conversation between the other and Ethan about you were supposed to get a list of them and then take her. It appears that maybe some of them were to be taken like the tallies. It appears that Ethan only half did his job.

As for the play made by Henry nice I would have done the same I know it could have been seen coming for outer space. I still would have done it.
    Faith wrote:
    Jack did his best to help her, but she just flounced off in a sulk.

TBH I think if I was in the same situation as her with my first child, stranded on a desert island with no medical equipment I think I'd be freakin out as well. Most first time mothers freak out if there child gurgles slightly differently than usually. I'd be more worried about the fact that my child doesn't look like a 2 month old baby, did anyone else notice that Claire's baby is not 2 months old he looks more like a 4 month old

trishw78 wrote:
    TBH I think if I was in the same situation as her with my first child, stranded on a desert island with no medical equipment I think I'd be freakin out as well. Most first time mothers freak out if there child gurgles slightly differently than usually. I'd be more worried about the fact that my child doesn't look like a 2 month old baby, did anyone else notice that Claire's baby is not 2 months old he looks more like a 4 month old

.. worse still, in some shots it looked plastic..

..but she has nothing to worry about, jack's there.. he managed to peform micro surgery on sawyer's arm without any equipment.. surely a bit of nappy rash is nothing to worry about..

.. as for the others.. had a thought.. maybe the've just been stranded on the island far too long and are well bored.. there's nothing sinister going on.. there just f@cking with the losties..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I know it looks like I just copied and pasted some of the US version butI didn't.

Ok POWER people POWER where is it coming from Kate look at the ceiling and saw the light and said "I'll turn the power on" or something similar. well where the hell is it coming from. If there was a generator it would need diesel or fuel to run it. First Law of Physics: Energy can not be made or destroyed, but it can be changed from one form to another. So where is the energy coming from. I know there's no overhead powerlines surely the losties or we would have seen them. we did see a "cable" coming for the ocean on to the island but what is/was it. This is really starting to annoy me. The power has to be coming from somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Doh, I missed it!!

Don't suppose anyone ahs a copy there are willing to share???

Pm me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Silage

That was a great episode. Very interesting. The answered a lot but as with any mystery story, they ended up asking a lot aswel, which is good. Like where did the others go from that hatch? Why are the others almost superhuman? Nothin in this episode give us any hint of that.

I was thinking maybe that the others left that hatch because of when the coountdown timer was goin all weird, maybe they noticed what was happening and decided to scatter, taking everything with them that they needed to survive. ie vaccine.

As for locke's outburst at the end, i thought it a bit odd for him to do what he did, but Henry told him that he could hear through the walls, and i'm sure locke would have known that he would hear him. Either that or Henry really hit him on a sore spot, like when Locke was working in the box factory and being bossed around. I'm pretty sure Henry is an other because of this, he knew what would annoy him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

I enjoyed this one, the flashbacks were great and it was nice to actually learn something new for once. The beard and theatrical glue were an interesting find, though it reminds me a bit of "A Series of Unfortunate Events" :)

The only disappointing thing was Locke being so easily taken in by such an obvious ploy at the end. I hope he was faking his reaction. And if Henry Gale is not an Other they must be scaring him to death because Mr. Eko was terrifying in that scene with him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Silage

trishw78 wrote:
    I know it looks like I just copied and pasted some of the US version butI didn't.

Ok POWER people POWER where is it coming from Kate look at the ceiling and saw the light and said "I'll turn the power on" or something similar. well where the hell is it coming from. If there was a generator it would need diesel or fuel to run it. First Law of Physics: Energy can not be made or destroyed, but it can be changed from one form to another. So where is the energy coming from. I know there's no overhead powerlines surely the losties or we would have seen them. we did see a "cable" coming for the ocean on to the island but what is/was it. This is really starting to annoy me. The power has to be coming from somewhere.

Why don't the Losties just cut the wire and see what happens? Why don't they just not press the button? Why don't just not do anything that they are beind scared into? Because the way things are it doesn't look like it will make much difference to them, they'll still be eating fruit and living on the beach!

they could just follow it into the sea.. i'm sure sayed could make some scuba from an old condom and some bamboo..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

trishw78 wrote:
    When Jack and Sayid are crawling around under the floor trying to find away through the sealed magnetic hallway, Sayid suggests there's a geothermal generator. Back in like the third or fourth episode.

I think that the others must have moved after claire left as they knew she was coming back.

But I still go along the line of thinking that there's more than one group of others. The ones that we saw last night being ones, the other 'others' could be ones who did work at dharma until an incident yer man mentioned. Like, what's the story with the whispering still?..

Did any of you notice in the flashback when claire was being led down the corridor to the room they had prepared for Aaron that there was another big, steel door leading somewhere. Maybe it's a secret entrance to the hatch???

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭MeTV

You mean the door that had what appeared to be "Escape Hatch" on it? I assumed that was another exit from that station similar to how The Swan has two points of entry.

After watching it last night, I to thought they might have fled the station after Claire escaped in case she or Danielle found their way back to them. However, given the state of disrepair it was in when the women evetually found it and that Kate found "Zeke's" false beard which we saw him wearing only a few episodes I go, I think they may have abandoned it more recently than that - in last week's episode.

If the counter were installed after the incident Marvin Candle mentions in the orientation film, perhaps all it does is ensure that The Swan is still manned and, if it does hit zero, it alerts the other 5 stations that another incident is imminent and initiates a self-destruct sequence in each station. The 5 glyphs on the counter could correspond to each of the 5 hatches; if you read back to my posts in the "Everybody Hates Hugo" topic, I theorised that each station's symbol corresponded to a star in the Apollo constellation so the glyphs could, respectively, represent Ophiuchus, Crater, Orion, Corvus & Sagitta with the self-destruct sequence in each initiated as each glyph locks in. By entering the code, though, Locke would have cancelled the sequence. That's just by theory, though, but it does explain the state the new station was in and why the Others apparently left in such a rush that "Zeke" left his disguise behind.

As for the whispers, I'm thinking that maybe the monster is the source of them. The whispers we've been distinguish have always tied in to the past of the survivor who has heard them (Shannon hearing Boone's voice, James hearing Frank Duckett) and when Eko confronted the cloud, we heard whispers and swa images from his past within it.

Oh right. So it's the monster that needs explaining still. What in undergod is it apart from a big lump of black smoke? How does it operate? I suppose we'll eventually find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

gazzer wrote:
    Has anybody seen the movie The Village?? Well if you have do you think that there is something similar going on in Lost where the Dharma employees are dressing up as the 'Others' to create the illusion of something sinister out in the jungle...

Unlike LOST I cracked The Village in about ten minutes! I thought it was a great episode, best of teh season so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,755 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

MeTV wrote:
    As for the whispers, I'm thinking that maybe the monster is the source of them. The whispers we've been distinguish have always tied in to the past of the survivor who has heard them (Shannon hearing Boone's voice, James hearing Frank Duckett) and when Eko confronted the cloud, we heard whispers and swa images from his past within it.

It would appear that there are a number of types of "whisperers":

The ones openly heard by the Losties in various parts of the forest.
    Theory: Do some of the Others have "cloaking devices" that they use to monitor the Losties close up? I can recall many instances - particularly in S1 - where bushes & grasses were seen moving/parting without visible means.
    Are the forest whispers made by the "cloaked" Others to freak the Losties out?
    There is some evidence for this in the transcriptions quoted on http://www.lostlinks.net/whispers.htm:

Sawyer On the BEACH - From 'Outlaws'

Oh my god there's a guy out there
    Dennis (?) find out what's going on
    Did he see us?
    Maybe
    Open it
    Did you see what direction he went?
    Right through those trees...
    ...I want to get closer
    I know what you said, but he's looking around
    What if he shoots us or something

The bolded text would imply that the "whisperers" are physically present but most likely cannot be seen for some reason.

2. It would appear that the whisperers are also remote viewers who can "read thoughts":

For example from 'Abandoned':
    Who's this in the woods
    Sawyer
    Ana
    I’m in someone’s dream
    Ich Weiss Nicht (German for 'I don't know')
    She’s heavy
    Black Rock
    Bring the boy
    I’m in someone’s dream

This is getting weirder the more I think about it):

Advertisement