Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remakes

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

(except a 1990 remake which I didn't know about!),

For shame!! Thats an excellent film, but was not done by Romero as Flysh said, but by Savini. It stars Tony Todd, and I remember seeing it for the first time, at about 3am, when I was about 12. Not quite as gruesome as Day of the Dead or the new Dawn but some nice gore in there nonetheless.

Dunno about a remake of NOTLD, it was already redone in 1990 so I don't really feel it needs updating already. That said though, I love zombie movies and I would be lying if I said I would't be hugely anticipating it!

Day of the Dead was great, but a little slow paced and dated in parts. Gore effects are fantastic though, very gruesome! A remake would be very nice in my opinion. As for Land of the Dead, personally I loved it, and will definately be lookin forward to the sequel the most out of any of the zombie movies currently lined up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Wasnt there a remake of day only a year ago ? As far as I remember it was made by some independant company on a shoe string budget and it looked absolutely terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Fysh wrote:
    The 1990 remake of NOTLD was done by Romero
    HavoK wrote:
    For shame!! Thats an excellent film, but was not done by Romero as Flysh

So which is it guys? :)

http://imdb.com/title/tt0100258/

Definately Savini :)

But seriously Necro, how could you not have seen it! I suggest you watch it pronto...

Tusky - I don't think there was a remake of Day of the Dead but I did come across this: Day of the Dead 2! Unsurprisingly its apparently muck.

But then again there are literally dozens of cheap independant zombie films out there, so outside of big releases its pretty damn hard to keep up with them really. That said, if you haven't already seen Bone Sickness, its superb and one of the best "low budget" zombie jobs I've seen. Real throw back to 80's Fulci style, cheap but very gory with all prosthetics.....

HavoK wrote:
    But seriously Necro, how could you not have seen it! I suggest you watch it pronto...
    I really don't know, and I thought I was pretty well up on all things zombies :(
    Will definately pick it up.

Oh wow, just found this on imdb. The Night Of The Living Dead remake (the latest remake) is gonna be in 3D!
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0489244/

• Advertisement

I think you'll that Fysh was correct, Romero was responsiable for the NOTLD remake. He was going to direct the film himself but decided to do Two Evil Eyes instead.
    He was one of the producers and was responsiable for Savini getting the directing job.

Oh wow, just found this on imdb. The Night Of The Living Dead remake (the latest remake) is gonna be in 3D!
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0489244/

That is most likely going to suck major balls.

And my mistake about the notld

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

I think you'll that Fysh was correct, Romero was responsiable for the NOTLD remake. He was going to direct the film himself but decided to do Two Evil Eyes instead.
    He was one of the producers and was responsiable for Savini getting the directing job.

Romero wrote the screenplay based on his original 1968 version and Savini directed it.

There is some amazing gore in the film, the DVD edition available now is heavily censored.

Lodgepole wrote:
    There is some amazing gore in the film, the DVD edition available now is heavily censored.

I heard that but I've never seen an alternative version available, is there one? Film is still nice and violent as is, but as I said, I heard we were still being deprived of the whole shebang :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

HavoK wrote:
    I heard that but I've never seen an alternative version available, is there one? Film is still nice and violent as is, but as I said, I heard we were still being deprived of the whole shebang :)
    Nowhere on DVD although some of it is in the DVD extras. The old video release of it was uncut, but that version never made it to DVD. Some day we may see a definitive DVD release. It's a damn good picture too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Lodgepole wrote:
    Nowhere on DVD although some of it is in the DVD extras. The old video release of it was uncut, but that version never made it to DVD. Some day we may see a definitive DVD release. It's a damn good picture too.

There's a documentary on the DVD about the gore used in the headshots, and I remember being amused by it because it starts out showing you a montage of loads of very gory headshots, and then various people discussing why they weren't allowed to release the film with the headshots left intact as they were. Sheer class :)

(Want to watch this again now, I think I'll dig out the DVD tonight...)

The Grudge was on last night on the movie channel, caught the last 45 minutes or so....man it was awful. I've never seen Ju-on, but it surely isn't that bad.

The Grudge was on last night on the movie channel, caught the last 45 minutes or so....man it was awful. I've never seen Ju-on, but it surely isn't that bad.

The grudge was the only film that actually made me feel "Frightened" - its corny and badly executed in spots alright but to be honest I have no problem saying it was the scariest film I've ever seen, despite what everyone else seems to think.

Haven't seen Ju-On myself, but if its anything like the Ring VS the Ring remake, its probably twice as good a film with half the scare factor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

I really don't get all the opposition to remakes before they're even out for people to see them! Generally, I'll go see any new horrors, even if they're remakes. From what's been released so far, I like most of them, though there's only three that stand out for me as superior to the originals - The Hills Have Eyes, Texas Chainsaw Massacre & Amityville Horror. The originals are movies I just never liked, so I was pleased to sit and watch the updates that actually vastly improved the watchability of the source material.

The most recent remakes, 'The Omen' and 'When A Stranger Calls' -- I liked both of them, particularly WASC, which was FAR better than I was expecting after all the reviews. I mean it wasn't a great film by any stretch, but I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Ju-On: The Grudge is better than the US remake, however, like with Ringu/The Ring - I like both for their different cultural takes on the material. Like with Ju-On, there's a lot more mysticism that you would except from a J-horror, whereas the Hollywood version is a bit more straightforward.

I'd recommend going to see Ju-On: The Grudge 2 next month (ignore the AWFUL AWFUL cheap, nasty trailer that's currently playing though - it makes it look rubbish!). I watched it on DVD and found it very unnerving and scary in parts - sometimes it's worse to know what the ghosts look like ;)

I'm interested in seeing The Grudge 2 (US) in October, 'cos even though I haven't spoiled too much of the plot, it sounds like a complete departure from Ju-On 2, which at least points to more original film than a remake!

I'm dying to see Pulse (US)! Love Kristen Bell :D Funny thing about this one, is that I saw the original 'Pulse' in Virgin a few months ago and was gonna get it, but it was over-priced, so I held off. Now I'll probably just wait and watch the US one first - shame it's been delayed!

I've seen the originals of 'One Missed Call' (decent enough film, though somewhat standard J-horror) and 'A Tale of Two Sisters', which for me, is probably the freakiest & scariest of the lot. I'm interested to see what they manage to do with it in Hollywood. I love 'Black Christmas', so again, I'm keen to see what the remake is like.

....can't believe I only saw this tonight, what a great film! Straight after I went onto IMDB to figure out what other film I knew Rutger Hauer from (he was terrific in this) only to see that this is also getting the remake treatment.

I didn't start moaning when I saw that, not a huge surprise, but I was however shocked to see that Sean Bean has been cast as the hitcher. :(

....can't believe I only saw this tonight, what a great film! Straight after I went onto IMDB to figure out what other film I knew Rutger Hauer from (he was terrific in this) only to see that this is also getting the remake treatment.

I didn't start moaning when I saw that, not a huge surprise, but I was however shocked to see that Sean Bean has been cast as the hitcher. :(

Have you seen the Hitcher 2?

It's terrible.....Jake Busey as the hitcher is pretty cool but the rest of the cast is terrible and the movie intself, whilst not really visually bad, comes across as.....beyond cheap

No but I saw it on IMDB...the reviews are enough not to bother with it! And really....why on earth would you pick up another hitcher after what you went through in the first film?? Madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The Wicker Man is my favourite film of all time, bar none. The thought of a Nicolas Cage inspired remake set in America of all places terrifies me more than any film.

The Wicker Man is my favourite film of all time, bar none. The thought of a Nicolas Cage inspired remake set in America of all places terrifies me more than any film.

Neil LaBaute has said that a sequel is currently in pre-production.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Tullamac wrote:
    I Please Please Please keep them away from "The Exorcist"... There will never be anything as shocking and as scary as Linda Blair.!

Mary harney?
    "bertie sucks C*** in hell" type of thing

Actually when they remade the haunting that did it for me :(.. brutal

As for the wicker Man.. arent they making a stage musical version of that. Mind you the original turned into a musical at one stage.

• Advertisement

Just thought I'd say I watched the remake of The Hills Have Eyes (again) last weekend - personally, I think its a pinnacle for other aspiring remakes. Absolutely brilliant.

Looking forward to the Grudge 2 in October, but I suppose it's not really a remake...

Advertisement