Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remakes

Options
  • 22-05-2006 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Is there anyone out there controlling these bloody remakes. I mean, "The Omen"..... all time classic gets an upgrade. If it aint broken dont fix it.. Please Please Please keep them away from "The Exorcist"... There will never be anything as shocking and as scary as Linda Blair... No one else could fill that roll... Reply with our agreements....

Classics should never be f**** with!!! Am I Right or AM I RIGHT!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Oobie

I would usually agree but I have to say I loved the remake of Dawn of the Dead. The original was good but the remake was amazing!

I love The Omen - possibly my all time favourite movie and I don't know if I'm looking forward to the remake or scared that they'll destroy it!

I think the remake of The Wicker Man will be tough to pull off. Isn't it going to be based in America?? They'll lose all the 70s creepiness that made it so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Tullamac

Definitely.... and its not Christopher Lee... Its a bloody woman...AND Nicholas Cage... Oh jesus cmon... "JUST PUT THE BUNNY DOWN..." It just will not be the same... Dawn of the Dead worked because HIs HOLINESS Romero was involved..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Tullamac wrote:
    Dawn of the Dead worked because HIs HOLINESS Romero was involved..
    Do you mean in the remake? :confused:

I'm not 100% against the idea of remaking a film, but I'm just getting a bit fed up of the sheer volume of them, particularly from Asia.

I copmpletly agree... What they should have done is just release the asian movies and let us apreciate them as they are.... I just hope they stay away from some of the really good extreme ones, such as Audition and everything from that stable.... The poster tagline should say" IF YOU DONT LIKE IT... **** OFF.. NO ONE CARES" people should appreciate these classic movies in their proper formats and not remade with some bitch from the OC or Dawsons Creek..............

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

I think its more about marketing than any thing else. people get more excited about xmen 3 over some film they havet heard of. Take that film `the wild` thats comming out, I know nothing about it and then there is the Wonder wonam film comming. Well straight off I know something about the latter and nothing about the other film. Remakes bring an air of familarity to a film and make it easier to market itl. It is all about making money and not about keeping people like KH happy. The real fan boys often get left out in the cold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

I actually preferred a lot of the remakes that have come out over the last few years. I thought The Grudge and Ring were better than the originals. Also preferred TCM remake eventhough I dislike the film. Although there have been a few gooseberries none more so than The Fog (may be more of a reworking than a remake). Be prepared for a lot more:

The Birds
    Creature From the Black Lagoon
    The Entity
    The Eye
    Near Dark
    One Missed Call
    Piranha

Source:
    http://www.upcominghorrormovies.com/movies.php

How can you honestly say that the remakes of the ring and the grudge were better than the originals..........Jesus have you seen the originals.... what a misguided human you are.... You are probably one of these guys who hates watching a movie with subtitles so therefore its instantly crap.. Cmon man. This really gets my goat. Its ever so rare that a remake improves the orginal but the Ringu series and the grudge are most definitely better off left the way they are. GET A LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Ring remake doesn't even come close to the original!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Tullamac wrote:
    How can you honestly say that the remakes of the ring and the grudge were better than the originals..........Jesus have you seen the originals.... what a misguided human you are.... You are probably one of these guys who hates watching a movie with subtitles so therefore its instantly crap.. Cmon man. This really gets my goat. Its ever so rare that a remake improves the orginal but the Ringu series and the grudge are most definitely better off left the way they are. GET A LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You are probably one of these people who forces their opinions down the throat of other people, or deem them a "misguided human" because they don't agree with you.
    Yes I thought the remakes were better. Yes I watch subtitled films and liked a lot of them but thought others were crap.
    There are people out there who don't get wood when watching Asian films, me being one of them. Actually I find the same atmosphere/mood running through all of these films and the look of boredom from the cast. What is it about these scary kids and Asian horrors. I like some I hate some.
    Don't let it upset you.

I have no problem with remakes. The vast majority of them are inferior to the originals but every once in a while you come across a decant one. If you don't want to watch something no one is going to force you.

One of the best films of all time The Thing was a remake. Each film should be judged on it's own.

Also, Romero had no involvement in the Dawn remake.

• Advertisement

Tullamac wrote:
    How can you honestly say that the remakes of the ring and the grudge were better than the originals.......... GET A LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I havent seen the origanal ring and im not posed to watching stuff with subtitles I have watch a lot of subtitles but If I can get an english dub I uasually prefer that. So if the first ring is a better film and I dont doubt that it is, I would still take the fact that its subed as a negitive right off before watching it. It would have to be a whole lot beter to make it worth my while having to read a film rather than watching it. That said I onece watched sholin scoccer with out any subs or english at all. Some times a good film can superseed the need for words.

A good example of a film that Subs ruined for me was night watch. It seems like its a reall good film but the whole effort of having to real all the dialogue ( and there was a lot ) took away from the film and I never really got the jist of it all as it all moved so fast. But then I saw C tiger H dragon in the cinema subed and it dident bother me. I supose what im saying is subs are not for every one and an english remake can be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

The Fog
    Dark Water
    The Ring
    The Grudge
    The Hills have eyes
    The Omen
    Dawn of the dead
    The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    House on Haunted Hill
    When a Stranger Calls

what am I missing ?

Just found this list...

REMAKES

BLACK CHRISTMAS (TBA)
    DAY OF THE DEAD (2006)
    KING KONG (December 14, 2005)
    OMEN 666 (June 6, 2006)
    PULSE (March 3, 2006)
    RETURN TO SLEEPAWAY CAMP (TBA)
    SCANNERS (TBA)
    TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE: THE BEGINNING (October 6, 2006)
    THE BIRDS (TBA)
    THE CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI (2006)
    THE CRAZIES (TBA)
    THE EVIL DEAD (2006/7)
    THE FLY (2006)
    THE FOG (October 14, 2005)
    THE HILLS HAVE EYES (March 10, 2006)
    THE HITCHER (TBA)
    THE WICKER MAN (TBA)
    WHEN A STRANGER CALLS (February 3, 2006)

uh oh....28 weeks later

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0463854/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

i'm glad they will never touch the real classics like , Frankenstein, bride of frankenstein and the hammer horrors.

6th wrote:
    i'm glad they will never touch the real classics like , Frankenstein, bride of frankenstein and the hammer horrors.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109836/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Oh Christ now i look bad! ;)

How could i forget that amazingly bad remake!

Tusky wrote:
    First I'd heard of that :eek:

First I'd heard of that :eek:

Same here...doesnt sound good!

OMG an evil dead remake, hasent this been done already and called evil dead 2 that was more of a remake than a sequal, and no remake will ever tough it. Unless rami and camble do it again witch I doubt.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I heard a bit about the remake of Evil Dead, Raimi was supposed to have said he'd love to see what someone could make of his original film having seen what they did with Dawn Of The Dead.

That said, there's also supposed to be an Evil Dead 4 in the works (allegedly starring Campbell, thank God; it's just not Evil Dead if The Chin isn't involved...).

• Advertisement

Dam straight but camble must be getting on in the years now and its a gruling shoot for a man of his age. I know he dident like getting beat up on a regular basis on the set of the origonals, but how it made us all laugh. It was worth every bruise.

OMG, there is no way they can even think of touching the evil dead without Brucie and Sam. Its like remaking KING KONG without kong. Those films were absoloute classics. To be honest I am a bit unnerved about the possibility of a remake. The original was raw and the effects were tough to do for Raimi as he had no money. But its perfect in its original setting. I am still totally and utterly against remakes of any kind. Next, you will be telling me that there will be a remake of the Exorcist with one of the ****in Olsen twins as Regan & Harrison Ford as Merrin........................ha ha ha............ sorry about that. Had to stop laughing there..................ha ha ha ha ha.:D :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Speaking of the Olsen twins, there is infact rumours of those two starring in a remake of A Tale Of Two Sisters.

Speaking of the Olsen twins, there is infact rumours of those two starring in a remake of A Tale Of Two Sisters.
    I know :(
    Actually I think :mad: is more appropriate.

Aren't the Olsen twins too old for this?

I'm not sure how old they are, or how old the sisters in the original were....but one was definately older than the other in that film.

I Dont Care About Their Age..... I Would Still Do Both!!!! Ha Ha H A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

What a fantastic contribution there, Tullamac.

Looks like Night of the Living Dead and Day of The Dead are getting the remake treatment as well. I can't find Night of the Living Dead on imdb (except a 1990 remake which I didn't know about!), but here's the news on Day:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0489018/

Afaik, they have nothing to do with Zack Snyder's Dawn, which is a shame. I'd love to see him try his hand at the others.

It might well confuse a lot of people. We have the original trilogy, the 2004 Dawn and then Land. Now there's another two remakes plus apparently a sequel for Land in the works.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The 1990 remake of NOTLD was done by Romero and is a damn fine remake of the original; part of the reason for doing it was because they never copyrighted the original film, meaning that they couldn't make any money from licensing it. It's worth buying, IMO.

Not sure why we need another remake of it, though. Especially if Snyder's not involved in the project. (There again, I don't particularly want to see a sequel to Land... either, as I thought it was a weak film overall).

Advertisement