Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you feel?

Options
  • 22-05-2006 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

Ok, this mightn't exactly be a PI, so move if you want, I just didn't think it was an AH issue either.

I had an occasion over the weekend for getting really dressed up & as I'm bridesmaid in a few weeks, I used this occasion as a trial, so I got the fake tan done professionally, the nails done, the make up done & the hair put up & I had a gorgeous dress.

I'm the 1st to admit, I'm a plain Jane by day, but when I make an effort I can look really well, & I was looking really well that day, everyone commented (well almost!), some didn't even realise it could be me from a distance!!!

Who didn't comment:- my boyfriend, not even a "you look nice", when he saw me he said "well", as in:- hello!!!!! As if I always look like that!

Practically every other boyfriend would've been picking their jaw up off the floor & be saying "wow, you look amazing!!!", but no, I got a "well"

He wouldn't be the best at compliments anyway, so I didn't let it annoy me, or wasn't disappointed really by it. I knew I looked well, & that's all that matters.

But, I just wondered, how would the rest of you react in the above situation:- male & female perspectives.

BTW, before some read too much into it:- we're both crazy about each other, etc, etc, so it's not that he didn't like what he saw.
    We were talking the next day & the conversation somehow got round to me, & he mentioned something about my outfit ("that white thing":- meaning the white dress that I was wearing) Jokingly I asked him what was on the dress, which he hadn't got a clue as to the answer, so we had a good laugh at that, as he really is that hopeless. But in the middle of it all he said, "yea, you looked well yesterday", which I thanked him for, & was chuffed that he thought so, but why couldn't he just say it on the day????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Ok he may not usually be good and compliments but on this occassion he's a dick. Even if you didnt look great, with that much effort he should have recognoised it. Seeing as you did you great he shouldnt even have had to think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

not to be overly simplistic, but sometimes guys just don't think of saying things like that. There mightn't be a reason for it. I can understand why you might be worried, so just ask him why he couldn't say it to you. He probably did think you looked gorgeous but it just mightn't have occurred to him to say it. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

No, I'm not worried at all.

I realise he's not good at compliments, hell, I'm not great at giving them myself (btw, I did tell him he looked well), but as 6th said, after making SO much effort, a little whisper at some stage saying "you look lovely" would've been nice to receive.

But, the fact that I didn't get one didn't make the day any less enjoyable by any means.

I just really asked the question to see how others would react, or comments on how they'd feel if their girlfriend made such a big effort, etc.

Like I said, I know how besotted with me he is, even when I'm in a big baggy jumper & tracksuit bottoms, so it's not a "Do you think he fancies me" question.

Thanks for your replies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Perhaps your entitled to feel a little bit miffed. If you are, then you should say it to him. From what you've said, it seems like your both really comfortable together so i wouldn't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

BoozyBabe wrote:
    I realise he's not good at compliments, hell, I'm not great at giving them myself (btw, I did tell him he looked well),

You must realise that you are making excuses for him which aren't really valid. Its like saying that someone is "naturally messy" when they are just lazy and don't care or "not very romantic" when they are just thoughtless.

How is he ever going to be "good" at compliments if he can't even realise that after you spend several hours getting ready (and going to a wedding, how dumb is he??!) that then is the time to really splash out and make an effort to say something nice?

Its great that this isn't threatening your relationship, so why don't you let him know that it is usual for a man to compliment a woman when they get dressed up?

I would be ashamed to think that any other men would disagree with me.

• Advertisement

Yea, I agree with you to an extent Linoge, & I'm actually surprised at the replies I've got so far.

I was expecting more of a "get over yourself, he's a man" type response.

Though a compliment would've been nice, the lack of one didn't take away from anything, so I can't help but feel a "you didn't tell me i looked lovely" type conversation is a bit childish.

I think that would be a case of "get over yourself"

Ah well, if that ends up being my only complaint about him for the rest of my life, I guess I'll be doing pretty well.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

how would i feel if i were him?
    i'd be looking for a way out after reading this post tbh

Why?

I did say that the lack of compliment did not annoy me, but my question was:- how would others feel in the same situation.

Why would this make you want to find a way out?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,163 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Maybe he doesn't like fake tan? Personally I always prefer women without it, think it tends to make women look cheap.

Nah, trust me:- the bluey whiteness of my natural skin is NOT a good look. :D
    I generally don't like fake tan either, but this was professionally done & looked well (not that dark or orange)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Ye girlfriend and i had this row a few weeks ago, some guys simply dont notice, were good at other things so give us a break. Seems to me that ya got the compliment ya were looking for in the end anyway so whats the problem?

Reminds me of an e-mail i got last week:

NOTICE TO WOMEN EVERYWHERE FROM A MAN WHOS HAD ENOUGH:

If you think your fat, you probably are. Don't ask us. We refuse to answer.

Learn to work the toilet seat. If it's up, put it down.

Don't cut your hair. Ever. Long hair is always more attractive than short hair. One of the big reasons guys fear getting married is that married women always cut their hair, and by then you're stuck with her.

Birthdays, Valentines and Anniversaries are not quests to see if we can find the perfect present yet again.

If you ask a question you don't want the answer to, expect an answer you dont want to hear.

Sometimes, We're not thinking about you. Live with it. Don't ask us what we're thinking about unless you are prepared to talk about topics such as football or motorsports.

Saturdays and Sundays = Sports. Its like the full moon or the changing of the tides. Let it be.

When we have to go somewhere, absolutely anything you wear is fine. Really!

You have enough clothes.

You have too many shoes.

Crying is blackmail.

Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one: subtle hints don't work. Strong hints dont work. Really obvious hints don't work. JUST SAY IT.

No, we don't know what day it is. We never will. Mark anniversaries on the calendar - thats what its for.

Most guys own 2-3 pairs of shoes. What makes you think we'd be any good at choosing which pair, out of thirty, would look good with your dress?

Come to us with a problem only if you want help solving it. That's what we do. Sympathy is what your girlfriends are for.

A headache that lasts for 17 months is a problem. See a doctor.

It is neither in your best interest nor outs to take the quiz together, no it doesn't matter which quiz.

If something we said can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, we meant the other one.

Let us ogle. We're going to look anyway; its genetic.

You can either tell us to so something OR tell us how to do something but not both.

Whenever possible, Please say whatever you have to say during the add breaks

ALL men see in only 16 colours. Peach is a fruit, not a colour.

It it itches, it will be scratched.

Beer is as exciting for us as handbags are for you.

If we ask what's wrong and you say 'nothing' we will act like nothings wrong. We know you're lying but it's just not worth the hassle.

:D:D:D:D:D:):):D:D:D:D:D
    Thought this was really funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

Yeah I would be annoyed. My bf has done that before..it's irritating! Maybe he doesn't like you looking that well because other men will be after you!!!? ;)

so whats the problem?

There isn't one.
    I never said there was.

I simply wanted to know if others would have reacted the same as me (i.e. DID NOT get annoyed over it), or would it cause upset for some, & for the other arguement:- would most guys say they're like my bf, & just wouldn;t think to say anything (which I DIDN'T have a problem with) or would it be more a case of "I can't believe he didn't say anything"

It was meant more as a general discussion than about my particular experience.

Please stop having a go at me when I've said several times that it didn't bother me that he didn't say anything (but admittedly it'd have been nice if he did, & was nice when he eventually did)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

You're with a guy who doesnt do compliements very well.

You know this.

Even though you say you are cool with this, you come onto PI and rant about it which suggests you're not.

Get over it or get a new man.

end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Of course I'd love to hear it but I wouldn't expect it, and if I was in his position, even if my was drooling, I more than likely wouldn't say it, I just feel awkward giving compliments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

speaking for myself here, men (I) dont really recognise what flower was on the corner of the mauve dress you wore 16 days ago. We just know it as the purple yoke. Its not that we dont care,we just dont take notice of what you wear all the time.
    Fair enough he couldv reassured you a bit more after putting the effort in. Maybe he had other stuff on his mind,couldv been on another planet. Dont sulk about it though, tell him '' is that all i get a well?!'' That would be beneficial as apposed to analysing it to death.
    My 2c's really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭cordelia

A good sense of humor is yer only man in this scenario.
    Ask him point blank if he likes the outfit. He'll probably say yes. Then tell him "wait until you see the knickers, they're only gorgeous!!
    Give him a wink, then head out the door. You'll both have a good laugh and he'll probably say something nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

alot of guys just dont get the importance of compliments to a girl. guys dont really care about recieving them, so most of us dont care about giving them.

Also his mind on the night:
    inner voice:"oh shes looking lovely i am going to tell her"
    inner voice no.2: " but what if she turns around and asks do i not think she looks lovely all the time, she might be pissed off then"
    inner voice: " ****, good point. I just wont say anything"
    inner voice no.2: "wow, her best friend has a great ass though"
    inner voice: "damn right"

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Question: if he takes longer than 20 minutes to get ready, do you compliment him?

Oh, and I'd prefer the white skin look than orange fake tan. He may have been afraid to complement you, in the fear that you'd wear the fake tan all the time. Ask him. He may not like the stuff. Some do, some don't.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

you sound like my girlfriend. its not intentional from guys, we may think you look really well but i personal just dont thinkof saying it, dunno why, if she asks 'how do i look' i'll compliment...most of the time. its uncanny the similarity in issues you have with her, i'm just glad its not just me.

but back to the point, dont let it bother you, maybe say it to him in passing that you'd like him to compliment you more, especially when you make an effort, i'm sure he'll apologise and say you looked stunning and it never dawned on him to say it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭therannu

I think that perhaps 'Well!' is a compliment in this situation. It's an exclamation, a bit like 'wow', but not quite as British royal family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I think you're a bit insecure and were expecting the compliment a bit too much.

tbh, it doesn't make that much of a difference to guys whether you spend 20 mins getting ready or several hours. In fact I've found myself preferring looks that took less effort sometimes. The fact you spent "so much time" and "so much money" on getting ready didn't necessarily make all that much difference to your appearance. Time + Money != beauty. But then again, that's another topic altogether. Basically, get over it and stop expecting compliments, or just give your boyfriend a list of instructions on when to compliment you. ;)

JC 2K3 wrote:
    I think you're a bit insecure and were expecting the compliment a bit too much.

FFS:mad: :rolleyes:

How many times do I have to say to ye!!!!!

I didn't care that I didn't get a compliment. I wasnt expecting one, I didn't huff that I didn't get one.

All I said was it'd have been nice if I did.

As I've said a billion times already, to those who bother to actually read the thread properly:- This was a general discussion, not about me sulking, cos I bloody wasn't!!!!

I know my bf, I know what he's like, I love him to bits, I certainly wasn't expecting him to compliment me, knowing him so well, but knowing him as well as I do would've made it even nicer if he had have surprised me with a compliment. Besides that, I couldn't give a rats arse if noone complimented me, trust me, if you saw me you'd know I couldn't care less about appearance

I can obviously see that none of ye can get the concept of this thread, i.e. that been a general discussion on a particular topic, so go ahead & lock this.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

BoozyBabe wrote:
    I didn't care that I didn't get a compliment. I wasnt expecting one, I didn't huff that I didn't get one.

All I said was it'd have been nice if I did.
    Please reread the above comment. To me it says

"I didn't care that I didn't get a compliment. I was expecting one and it'd have been nice if I did."

If you didn't expect one, you wouldn't have written the thread. As one poster said, most of us men can't tell the difference between a quick hair-do, and a 5 hour beuty maraton, tbh, so don't expect one, if you picked the blue dress instead of the pink dress.

You may tell me to reread your comments, but it may be in fact you who needs to reread your own posts. So far you've snapped at those who advise you to read your own posts, and keep telling us that you expected no comments... "but it'd be nice if you did".

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

BoozyBabe wrote:
    Besides that, I couldn't give a rats arse if noone complimented me
    But that's just not true.

Personally I think this quote sums up my feelings:
    alot of guys just dont get the importance of compliments to a girl. guys dont really care about recieving them, so most of us dont care about giving them.

However, there is one possible alternative. Maybe if your boyfriend feels so strongly about you his love for you is so beyond the bounds of average love that he can see through your physical appearance and into your soul. Hence when he looks at you he isn't seeing your fake tan or your spangly nails but into your character, at your specific personal traits and features.

ie: he's not superficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭AOR

BoozyBabe wrote:
    Who didn't comment:- my boyfriend, not even a "you look nice", when he saw me he said "well", as in:- hello!!!!! As if I always look like that!

Practically every other boyfriend would've been picking their jaw up off the floor & be saying "wow, you look amazing!!!", but no, I got a "well"

But in the middle of it all he said, "yea, you looked well yesterday"

I think your Problem here is you seem to be going out with a dundalk man
    I can tell this by the frequency of his "Well" I think you need to stop looking for men in the marshes and look elsewhere!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

If he isn't forthcoming with a compliment, why not just ask him straight out how he think you look at the time & if he said "Well", tell him with a smile & a wink that "Well" is a lousy compliment & to come up with something a little more imaginative next time....

Unless he has as fair bit of experiece dealing with women (which I suspect from your post that he doesn't ;)) then you may need to tell him what you like & when.....best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I think the problem is possibly related to the fact that he takes you for granted? I'm speaking from my own experience, and when you're in a relationship you do tend to take things for granted sometimes.
    My 2 cents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

tallus wrote:
    he takes you for granted?

The OP has already said that he has never been the most observant - so its more in his nature than suddenly taking her for granted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

The OP has already said that he has never been the most observant - so its more in his nature than suddenly taking her for granted.
    you say that like it's an excuse

Advertisement