Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love bites/cover up

Options
  • 18-05-2006 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭

Buggerations
    My son has just come home with two huge love bites on his neck- it looks as if someone has tried to garrotte him. He has to be at school tomorrow:mad:
    No polo neck sweaters in the house.Dunnes is still open so I am sending him down there,I am pissed off!
    Suggestions please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Try relaxing for starters. Tis all part of life.

What age is he? please don't say 23 or some such :D

If you don't aprove then send him to school like that and he'll get enough (friendly?) slagging to put him off....for a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭dragona

He is 18. I am SUPER relaxed, wine helps! I am just annoyed - he has just been suspended for a day(see parenting)and the principal at school is a pr*ck anyway, and it just looks so effing horrible!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Maybe (i am assuming he wears a shirt as part of the uniform? If so maybe get him to wear the collar up and give him a note to tell the teacher/s that you have him wearing the collar up and want it to stay that way.

I seem to recall that puttin toothpaste on the bite healed it quicker (might be an urban legend not sure)

GAAman wrote:
    Maybe (i am assuming he wears a shirt as part of the uniform? If so maybe get him to wear the collar up and give him a note to tell the teacher/s that you have him wearing the collar up and want it to stay that way

Nope, no uniform. We have just experimented with concealer but it looks ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

he's 18. leave him alone WOMAN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Toothpaste heals them. I say make him wear foundation over it. That'll teach him.

But to be honest, If he's 18,Im guessing he's in his LC year - they wont suspend nor expell him at this stage of the year, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Lol, he is 18.... what are you worried about exactly? what people think when they see your son? or what the school will say/do when they see it?

I cant see anything bad at all coming of it! I over heard a teacher slaggin a pupil (he was about 15/16) today in school about HIS neck, I think a slaggin from his mates will be the most of his troubles tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Maybe the "problem" is that his "mother" looks for parenting advice on an internet forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MiniMetro

Maybe the problem is that his mother looks for parenting advice on an internet forum.

Lol, he is 18.... what are you worried about exactly? what people think when they see your son? or what the school will say/do when they see it?

I cant see anything bad at all coming of it! I over heard a teacher slaggin a pupil (he was about 15/16) today in school about HIS neck, I think a slaggin from his mates will be the most of his troubles tbh.

I am not worried -just irritated with him coming in and saying *ohgod what can I cover this up with*And yes they LOOK horrible.

• Advertisement

MiniMetro wrote:
    Maybe the problem is that his mother looks for parenting advice on an internet forum.

Excuse me? I am not looking for parenting advice, just suggestions as to how to cover up love bites.Maybe you should grow up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Are you taking the piss? Your 18 year old has a few love bites and you’re upset. Seriously what decade is this? Is the pope living in your house or something?

I remember when I was 13 and got my first lump taken outa me neck. Done a cantona for a few days but fooled no one. The teacher in the school gave me some stick but in a taking the piss kinda way, not a your in trouble way.

What school is your man son in. He hasn't gone back in time and enrolled in that one from rocky road to Dublin documentary has he. If so he might be in trouble, if not hes a man and can get his neck hacked by a nice girlie if he likes and its no ones business but his own.
    ( not entirely convinced this is a serious thread :( )

If your that worried about his reputation give him the day off to study.

dragona wrote:
    Excuse me? I am not looking for parenting advice, just suggestions as to how to cover up love bites.Maybe you should grow up!

Sorry Mum.

clown bag wrote:
    Are you taking the piss? Your 18 year old has a few love bites and you’re upset. Seriously what decade is this? Is the pope living in your house or something?

I remember when I was 13 and got my first lump taken outa me neck. Done a cantona for a few days but fooled no one. The teacher in the school gave me some stick but in a taking the piss kinda way, not a your in trouble way.

What school is your man son in. He hasn't gone back in time and enrolled in that one from rocky road to Dublin documentary has he. If so he might be in trouble, if not hes a man and can get his neck hacked by a nice girlie if he likes and its no ones business but his own.
    ( not entirely convinced this is a serious thread :( )

Erm,for starters it looks like he has been strangled. It is actually HIS neck, not mine. HE wants to cover them up, and quite frankly I would rather he did too, so just looking for suggestions:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

dragona, try to take a few deep breaths. Yes they're ****in ugly. They'll be like that for a week while they heal up. unless you want him to wear concealer, buy a bandana and he can be eighties with it tied around his neck for a while.

What's really rubbing you though, the fact that you think they're ugly, or the fact that you're bothered that he's allowed himself to be 'branded' so dramatically?

Make him wear a cravat, then he'll hide his love-marks and look like a distinguished young man at the same time.

and make him smoke a pipe.

and make him wear a smoking jacket

and a pair of slippers

• Advertisement

dragona, try to take a few deep breaths. Yes they're ****in ugly. They'll be like that for a week while they heal up. unless you want him to wear concealer, buy a bandana and he can be eighties with it tied around his neck for a while.

What's really rubbing you though, the fact that you think they're ugly, or the fact that you're bothered that he's allowed himself to be 'branded' so dramatically?

Really, I didn't mean to come across so stressed about it - not MY neck! They are ugly, I think he is a twit,he has just been suspended,he wants to cover them up and I have excruciating toothache.

He was suspended because of the bite? Is he training to be a priest.
    If so he deserves a suspension, not for breaking his vow of celibacy, but for making it obvious he broke it.

Surely suspension is a bit draconian. Can you not appeal this decision. I'm sure the law will fully protect his right to an education and condemn the school. Tell them he was attacked by some fatal attraction type girl. (This actually happened me and her friends held me down while she gave me a love bite, though to be honest I didn’t put up much of a fight)The only person you should be angry with is the backward eejit who suspended him.

Go out and buy him an Eric cantona jersey. It would look odd if his collar wasn't up while wearing this. I got away with it for two whole days when I was a kid untill one of my mates realised I was a Liverpool fan wearing a united top and got suspicious.
    Again is this a serious thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

MiniMetro banned for offtopic and unhelpful posting.

Yes, they are unsightly but it is something we all go through and some of us
    never grow out of.
    Witchazel is good for reducing the brusing you can get a witchazel cream from most chemists.

I can understand your concern about is lack of awarness in allowing things to possible go that far that he is that marked.
    I would suggest that a 'chat' about respecting himself and his body would be a good thing and that if he enjoys being bitten in such a fashion he should keep it to areas that are less visible.

He is as we speak rubbing Arnica cream on his neck...

clown bag wrote:
    He was suspended because of the bite? Is he training to be a priest.
    If so he deserves a suspension, not for breaking his vow of celibacy, but for making it obvious he broke it.

blah blah blah
    !
    You are quite amusing but not really helpful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

He's just got to suck it up (Lame pun entirly intentional) and get on with it, not much can be done except physical concealing (clothes etc..). I heard toothpaste.... but think it's BS.

I think everyone should give you a bit of a break too, you swear you were condeming your son to hell, you have not grounded him or anything over it (I think) and are actually trying to help him.At Least he could come to you about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Sorry Dragona,

I do hope your son finds some way to hide his love bites, I just find the whole thing quite amusing, Im amazed his principal can suspend him for love bites!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Sorry Dragona,

I do hope your son finds some way to hide his love bites, I just find the whole thing quite amusing, Im amazed his principal can suspend him for love bites!

No, youv'e got the wrong end of the stick, he got suspended on an entirely different matter all together. If I was told to stay at home simply because I had a mark on my neck, I'd simply avoid it by hopping into the time machine, and ride right on into the 21st century.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Dragona, sorry but you must remember that many people you see posting here will be coming home this weekend trying to hide lovebites from their own mothers!

I don't think there's much you can do really unless you can convince him to wear a scarf in mid May. Even if you do, everyone will know why anyway!

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote:
    I can understand your concern about is lack of awarness in allowing things to possible go that far that he is that marked.
    I would suggest that a 'chat' about respecting himself and his body would be a good thing and that if he enjoys being bitten in such a fashion he should keep it to areas that are less visible.

Why?

He is 18 years old.

The only person who needs a chat is the person who thinks he needs a chatting to.
    This is madness in the extreme :confused:
    Sorry if I haven't been helpful in suggesting ways to get rid of the marks but I've never considered it important enough to come up with an emergency cure. It’s not exactly a life threatening condition or even that embarrassing.
    A storm in a tea cup would not even come close to describing this.

I wont post again but seriously, this is madness in the extreme.

Advertisement