Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco...Alcohol, Over 21

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest what is the oldest age they will supply an age card to?

There is no upper age limit for a Garda Age card

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

obl wrote: »
    Scan the same one 6 times.
    You can't do this as you HAVE to scan every item you put through the scanner, otherwise it will start beeping and won't let you continue until you have scanned them. I have tried this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ob1kanobee

Hobbes wrote: »
    Under what law exactly?

The intoxicating liquer Act in conjuntion with the The Equal Status Act?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

it says if you look under 21 you might need ID

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ob1kanobee

yeah but if you are 22 and you have ID and its not doubted can an establishment insist that you must be over 23 to buy alcohol?? I thought they couldnt discriminate like that - that the legal age for alcohol in this country is 18 and others cant come along and impose a higher restriction... but in the O2 the other night (the new Point!) booze was restricted to those over 23. They're not authorised to impose that restriction are they??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

ob1kanobee wrote: »
    I thought they couldnt discriminate like that
    Based on what?
    Link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

BeerNut wrote: »
    This is governed by 25(4) of the 2003 Intoxicating Liquor Act:

Under (b) you'd want to check if they have a sign up and under (c) you'd want to ask why they're doing it, before you can go accusing them of discrimination.
    It seems like a grey area to most but the law is fairly clear - it is discriminatory not to serve alcohol to anyone over the age of 18 or to adopt policies whereby people over 18 but below a certain age are ineligible for entry to a licenced premises. The fact that 99.999% of people can't be bothered getting a solicitor involved when they're discriminated against means that booze-merchants can pretty much do what they want. You've got the cowardly, "don't rock the boat" Irish mentality to thank for that.

following on from these posts...

I was buying a bottle of Gin on a quiet monday evening in Dunnes Stores in town. My girlfriend was with me when I was at the cash desk paying for it. The (foreign) cashier asked my girlfriend for identification/proof of age. Well, she actually said to me "she needs ID". I showed her my garda card but she persisted my GF needed to proof her age so that I could buy the Gin. I went back and forth with this woman for a few minutes before asking for some sort of manager to speak to. A (foreign) manager arrived. He reiterated exactly what the cashier said - my girlfriend needed to produce proof of age so that I could buy the gin.

I argued that the contract was between myself and Dunnes Stores and that my girlfriend had nothing to do with the matter. He responded that he didn't know what I'd be doing with the bottle of gin and that if a Guard saw an underage person drinking the shop could be linked to selling alcohol to persons underage.

I argued some more and eventually asked him to quote me the law that says that if you are trying to purchase alchohol, anyone that appears to be in your company must also provide proof of age. He couldn't but he did keep on repeating "it's the law, it's law, I can be shut down, it's the law". The argument/conversation escalated to where I told him to call the Guards so that someone official could read the law to me. He radio'd to someone to phone Pearse St Guards.

A minute later I left sans gin.
    One of my arguing points was when a parent purchases alcohol in their shop with their children do they ask the child for proof of age if they look under 18 year child. He said "that's different".

Advertisement