Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco...Alcohol, Over 21

Options
  • 15-05-2006 5:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Ya exactly, SHOCK.

Was in Tesco yesterday and whilst I was looking over at the fools at the self service checkout doing Tescos job I saw a sign beside the checkout. A thing about buying alcohol. I saw em loads of times before, but now it said over 21's :eek:

How are they allowed to do that? I'm not 21 yet, what em I gonna do.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭conky_05

Skyuser wrote:
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm not 21 yet, what em I gonna do.

maybe go to another off licence !! feck that sounds a bit crap. but aswell as that, it's their shop and they can call the shots right ? it's like some night clubs don't let you in if your under 21 too ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Ah well I'll ave to join d fools at self service and buy it there. I won't ask myself for ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Got refused in Tesco's - aged 22 - with Driving Licence and Passport, for not having a Garda Age Card. I think they just don't wanna make any sales! :)

Lol passport is most official document you can prove.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

yea same happened me, ur one actually refused to take my passport, i got tres píssed off and got the manager down!! he told me i would have to use an age card next time!!! bollox to that i dont have and am not getting an age card, passport is the most official and recognised form of id you can use!! imagine being asked for id in a foreign country " ya do ya take the garda age card" ffs tesco need to De-tard their policy!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Skyuser wrote:
    How are they allowed to do that? I'm not 21 yet, what em I gonna do.

Yes they are allowed and what planet have you been living on? Its been like this for all Supermarkets in Ireland for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Beer is Life

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Got refused in Tesco's - aged 22 - with Driving Licence and Passport, for not having a Garda Age Card. I think they just don't wanna make any sales! :)

Is it not illegal for them to ignore a government issued document?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

What exactly are they gaining from this and their demand for Garda ID?

Hobbes wrote:
    Yes they are allowed and what planet have you been living on? Its been like this for all Supermarkets in Ireland for years.
    O be quiet, I saw 18 signs a couple of months ago. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

It's not illegal for a supermarket to have any lower age limit but it is illegal for them to have an upper age limit as this would be age discrimination....only in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭AngryAnderson

It seems like a grey area to most but the law is fairly clear - it is discriminatory not to serve alcohol to anyone over the age of 18 or to adopt policies whereby people over 18 but below a certain age are ineligible for entry to a licenced premises. The fact that 99.999% of people can't be bothered getting a solicitor involved when they're discriminated against means that booze-merchants can pretty much do what they want. You've got the cowardly, "don't rock the boat" Irish mentality to thank for that.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

That's definitely illegal.

I'd get the manager down just to piss him and the swine behind the checkout off. In fact I've long since stopped shopping in tesco because of their staff (and the fact that they're british).

Red Alert wrote:
    (and the fact that they're british).
    That's just stupid.

What's your mobile phone network.....

Red Alert wrote:
    That's definitely illegal.

Under what law exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭maidhc

eirebhoy wrote:
    What exactly are they gaining from this and their demand for Garda ID?

They are complying with s.15 of the Intoxicating Liquor Act 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I'm sure it was always over 18's in Tescos until recently?? I'd say they are sick of watching gangs of boarder line teens hanging around the off-sales area, where in an off-license its easier to monitor.

It would be good for the legislation to be a bit clearer but tbh you wont go thirsty will ya OP, plenty of off-licences about!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

I hate that when they don't accept my passport. I don't have a garda Id so I just keep saying " I need this to get into a country and your saying I can't get drink?" Usually works. Or I've been sold cigarettes and then been refused alcohol which I though was funny, after a bit of arguing I got it so I was happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I think those signs actually say that if you look under 21, then be prepaired to prove you're over 18 with the Garda ID card. They don't refuse you once you have that. But, if you're 22 they really shouldn't be refusing you for not having one of those age cards.

According to http://oasis.gov.ie/health/alcohol_and_drug_treatment_services/alcohol_and_the_law.html
    Licence holders that allow people between 18-21 years on their premises without appropriate identification can face a fine of 1,500 euro for a first offence and 2,000 euro for any subsequent offences. (Appropriate identification includes a National Age Card, a passport, a driving licence, or a identitiy card issued by an EU member state).
    It's OK for them to accept passports or driving licences, but maybe they don't have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Hobbes wrote:

No it hasnt.Not in any Supermarkets i have ever been to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Red Alert wrote:
    (and the fact that they're british).

Racist

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭FillSpectre

WHY ARE PEOPLE SO SHOCKED?

When it was Quinnsworth they had at 21 in many stores and I beleive Dunnes are the same. I am in my 30s and a ton of off licences had a 21 limit. Yes it is legal and any documentation may be refused if the shop beleive it is a not yours or fordged. No matter how many people say how is this legal, they can't do this etc... they can, do and always have. Don't like it? Don't shop there again for anything and let them know why in writing to head office.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Sauce

jor el wrote:
    I think those signs actually say that if you look under 21, then be prepaired to prove you're over 18 with the Garda ID card. They don't refuse you once you have that. But, if you're 22 they really shouldn't be refusing you for not having one of those age cards.

But how can they prove that you are over 21 if you dont have an age card. The only way to solve this problem is to bring in a national identity card.

padi89 wrote:
    No it hasnt.Not in any Supermarkets i have ever been to.

Every Dublin Supermarket I have been to has this policy in place. In some cases it is even higher. A friend of mine got all happy when she was told she didn't look over 25 so they wouldn't serve her.

If you look old to begin with then you don't get hassled. I've never been asked for ID in Tesco but then I don't look 21 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Hobbes wrote:
    If you look old to begin with then you don't get hassled. I've never been asked for ID in Tesco but then I don't look 21 :)
    lol, I was refused in Lidl a couple of months ago because I had no ID with me.

Im 30, and was buying a bottle of wine on the way to dinner in a friends house with my wife and kids. :rolleyes:

I think its more about some twat in a bad mood than anything else. Some days the 'rules' are just an opportunity to spread their misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I guess the over 21 thing is to avoid hassle...but jesus, they must be throwing away money on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

Was an off licence in Dublin not closed down for a couple of days a year or so ago becasue it refused to sell alcohol to an 18 year old because they had an over 21 policy. It was taken on discrimination grounds and the judge ruled that the off licence had no right to refuse somebody over 18 on the basis of age, when identification was prodcued.

I believe the licencing laws for pubs are pretty much the same, although I'm open to correction. Management have a right to refuse admission, but not over 18s on the basis of been U21, even though most places seem to get away with this. I think the fact that pubs are supposed to be public houses also raises questions about the legality of charging an admission fee (New years eve), but this is another one that doesn't seem to get challenged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Manolo Blahnik

I got served in both Dunnes and Tescos in the last few weeks no problem and I'm just 18. I always get asked for I.D. though cause I look about 16. Maybe they didn't check my D.O.B. or something if it's over 21's.

Two weeks ago I was out around town in Cork. First of all I tried to get into a PUB a pub like and the bouncer was like sorry it's over 19's tonight :( even though it was 18's the week beforehand. Then we went to five more clubs this time ''sorry over 20's tonight'' ''Over 21's...'' It's ridicluos in the end after 2 hours of searching we found a club that was over 18's...

It's like this countrys will soon be just like in the U.S. - Over 21's

I belive you are right about the off licence but they had no sign hence he won.

Pubs and off licences can have an age policy is my understanding but it must apply to all. So they must have a sign to allow everybody to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

I belive you are right about the off licence but they had no sign hence he won.

:confused:

So if you let everyone know that your discriminating, then its ok.

BTW, I'm not attacking your post. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if your right. I think I'll do a bit of googling at lunch time.

• Advertisement

Carb wrote:
    :confused:

So if you let everyone know that your discriminating, then its ok.

Yeah it is how I understand it. The idea being that the law makers don't see it as discremination hence it is not and the EU laws let you govern alchol sales as you see fit hence it works there too.

Advertisement