Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phase 2 of Ashbourne Bypass open 24 May 2006

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,309 ✭✭✭✭Victor

nordydan wrote:
    Likewise the N52 replaced the old N1 south and east of Dundalk.
    Not quite. The eastern bypass was always N52 and the N1 ran through the town. The only section that would have changed is the bit between the N1 and M1 at the southern end of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

Victor wrote:
    Not quite. The eastern bypass was always N52 and the N1 ran through the town. The only section that would have changed is the bit between the N1 and M1 at the southern end of the town.

I stand (partially) corrected.

Can anyone tell me whether or not this road opened today??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

murphaph wrote:
    It will be a shocking under use of the recent N2 to Ashbourne to fail to bypass Slane and provide modest upgrades of the road to allow vehicles to take advantage of what's just opened. Otherwise it's just an Ashbourne link which is outrageous IMO.

I'm not disagreeing with you, just pointing out what a dreadful waste this current N2 upgrade will be if it is only going to serve Ashbourne/Slane traffic.
    I know people who bought a house recently in virginia,
    the developer told them that when the Ashbourne bypass is finished,
    the best and cheapest way to Dublin(ie no M3 toll road) would be
    N3 Virginia - Kells
    R163 Kells - Slane(soon to be bypassed http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity/MajorRoadSchemesinPlanning/#d.en.543)
    N2 Slane - Dublin

He told them it would take 1 hour max to get to Phibsborough from Virginia taking this route.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I know people who bought a house recently in virginia,
    the developer told them that when the Ashbourne bypass is finished,
    the best and cheapest way to Dublin(ie no M3 toll road) would be
    N3 Virginia - Kells
    R163 Kells - Slane(soon to be bypassed http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity/MajorRoadSchemesinPlanning/#d.en.543)
    N2 Slane - Dublin

He told them it would take 1 hour max to get to Phibsborough from Virginia taking this route.
    He lied. It takes me roughly 1 hour to get from blanch straight out the N3 to Virginia! There's no way you could do that journey in an hour, even without traffic it takes 40 mins from blanch to Kells doing the speed limit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Victor wrote:

As classification yes, but the eastern bypass was linked to either end of the N1 (belfast and Dublin roads) anyways.I don't see the logic as to why it was classified the N52 way before the M1 was built at the south of the town..

Sign post's on that route is (N1)(N52) though dunno about now since the M1 is flyby..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

What is the current population of Asbourne, now no exaggeration from the locals:rolleyes:

Like Dublin Peps say Dub is a milliON in Da centa.. en A MilliOn en a haaf rund the city limihs.

Dublin's pop is 1 million.. no that it has anything to do with what I'm questioning on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭dr zoidberg

About 8-10,000, last census it was 6,300 but you know what Meath CC are like for zoning land for housing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

mysterious wrote:
    What is the current population of Asbourne, now no exaggeration from the locals:rolleyes:

Like Dublin Peps say Dub is a milliON in Da centa.. en A MilliOn en a haaf rund the city limihs.

Dublin's pop is 1 million.. no that it has anything to do with what I'm questioning on!

The latest census figures are likely to show that the population of the GDA (Dublin,Meath and Kildare) may have surpassed two million for the first time and is rising rapidly. When refering to the population of 'Dublin' you must include the surrounding counties because thats were the growth is taking place. They are little more then suburbs now. Thats just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Navan Junction

According to the Meath County Manager in this weeks Chronicle the population is 25,000

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭dr zoidberg

According to the Meath County Manager in this weeks Chronicle the population is 25,000
    Are you sure that wasn't a projection for 2020? They'd need to build an 6,000 3 bed semis for that, there's no way they could do that in four years (not to mention the fact that Adamstown has that target population, and that as a moderate growth town the population target for Ashbourne is 5-15,000). In fact that'd probably be the greatest population increase ever of any Irish town.

Have a look at google maps, ok the sat pics are about 4 years old, but compare Leixlip (15,000 in 2002) to Ashbourne (6,300) - you'd be talking ridiculous amounts of zoning to even reach the same level, apartments nothwithstanding.

Of course it's probably just lazy journalism, we'll know in August.

I don't have a problem with it growing either, I just don't think that it's well-managed growth, and my home town is a perfect example of this - despite having hardly grown since the 80s services haven't caught up with the demand. It'd be nice to think planning has changed since then, but the fact that any plan which includes amenities and proper public transport provision seems to be designated an SDZ is hardly inspiring, the SDZs should be the model for all planning and not the exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,309 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Isn't Ashbourne one of the sub-divisions of Meath.
    That might be the entire Ashbourne area, including Rathoath, Dunboyne, Dunshaughlin & Clonee / Dunboyne.

Victor wrote:
    Isn't Ashbourne one of the sub-divisions of Meath.That might be the entire Ashbourne area, including Rathoath, Dunboyne, Dunshaughlin & Clonee / Dunboyne.
    Sorry - Ashbourne & Ratoath. Tom Dowling was speaking at official opening of N2. However the journalist did call it the M2 in the article....................

The road was opened at 4pm today.

http://www.transport.ie/viewitem.asp?id=7585&lang=ENG&loc=1889

Taoiseach opens Ashbourne Bypass
    Break line image
    25 May 2006

"10,000 vehicles removed from Ashbourne"

Four months ahead of schedule, An Taoiseach, Bertie Ahern, T.D., today (Thursday, 25 May 2006) opened the Ashbourne Bypass. The new Bypass will mean time savings of up to 20 minutes at peak times and will remove some 10,000 vehicles from the town of Ashbourne each day.

Speaking at the opening, an Taoiseach said: "The N2 Finglas Ashbourne route, including the Ashbourne bypass is another critical project under Transport 21. I believe that this Government has demonstrated its commitment to putting in place a high quality transport infrastructure that matches our status as one of the most dynamic economies in the world over recent years. We have already invested almost €8 billion since 1997 on transport. That was a record level of investment in transport but will seem modest in comparison to the €34 billion that will be invested in transport infrastructure over the next 10 years, under the Government's Transport 21 plans."

Joining the Taoiseach at the opening, the Minister for Transport, Martin Cullen, T.D. welcomed the completion of the project that is ahead of schedule and within budget. He said: "The N2 is a strategic North/ South link and the Government has invested almost €85m this year in major schemes along this route, including the recently completed Carrickmacross Bypass and the Castleblayney and Monaghan Bypasses, which are currently under construction. Excellent projects such as this one are clear evidence of the Government's commitment to providing a top quality transport infrastructure. It will also help in improving our economic competitiveness, in creating jobs and in achieving more balanced regional development. In fact this project together with a number of other ones in the Cavan, Meath, Louth and Monaghan areas will do more to open up these border counties than anything done heretofore."

The project involved the construction of approximately 3.5km of a new dual three lane carriageway with hard shoulder; approximately 13.5km of a new dual two lane carriageway with hard shoulder and 1.5km of new dual two lane carriageway without hard shoulder. It also includes 16 bridge structures, some 20 culverts; two grade separated interchanges, four at-grade roundabouts and approximately 6km of minor road works.

The N2 extends from Finglas, on the north west of the city through Dublin, Meath, Louth and Monaghan to the border, where it becomes the A5 route to Derry.

Speech by the Taoiseach, Mr. Bertie Ahern T.D., at the Opening of the new Finglas Ashbourne Dual Carriageway.
    I am delighted to be here today to formally open the Finglas to Ashbourne Dual Carriageway.

This new road will make a real and significant difference to the quality of life in this area.

The town of Ashbourne has undergone a rapid transformation in recent years. From its beginnings as a relatively small market town, it has become a thriving commuter belt of Dublin. The large growth in the population of this town has also spurred the expansion of local enterprise and retail. But an unfortunate by-product of this development has been an increase in traffic congestion and delays in the town.

The N2 is an important route linking Dublin with the North and North West. This new road development will:

· Provide an effective bypass for Ashbourne;

· Provide a safer route and reduce accidents;

· Remove long distance traffic from local roads;

· Contribute to improving economic opportunities and competitiveness for the Meath economy;

· Improve the environment for the area; and

· Provide a substantial safety dividend with reduction of vehicle, cyclist and pedestrian conflict.

Let no one be in any doubt but that the longer the delay in providing a new, safer motorway route from Dublin to Navan, the more lives will be lost. In the past 21 months alone, there have been 9 people killed and many seriously injured on the existing N3 single carriageway road. I know that there are those who wish the people of Meath and adjoining counties to continue to suffer by further delaying the M3 and suggesting a series of bypasses instead. However, I believe the hard pressed commuters from Dunshaughlin to Navan and beyond, deserve a safer, faster and better solution and this Government is anxious to build it for them.

Overall, the Government's roads programme is making a real and positive difference in people's lives.

A record 300kms of new roads will begin construction during 2006, which is three times the average length of starts over the past three years. The exchequer provision of over €1.4billion in 2006 means that the largest single investment in our nation's history will go into the National Roads Programme this year. It will bring us closer to achieving a modern inter-urban network of safe roads delivering a high level of services for road users throughout the country.

Increased road safety will be a particular benefit of this new road.

At a national level, improving road safety is a real challenge and this Government has put in place a number of important initiatives in this area.

We have established the Garda Traffic Corps, headed by an Assistant Commissioner and focused solely on road traffic matters. By the end of 2008, 1,200 Gardai will be deployed to the Traffic Corps.

Last month, the Minister for Transport implemented a major extension of the penalty points system, from five offences to a total of 35 offences, with a continued focus on driver behaviour and key safety issues.

In addition, the Government recently approved the priority drafting of the Road Traffic Bill 2006. This legislation will support the operation of privately operated cameras.

The Bill will also provide for the establishment of roadside checkpoints for “mandatory alcohol testing” at which drivers will be required to submit to a preliminary breath test.

Work on setting up the Road Safety Authority is also well advanced and will result in a more integrated approach to road safety and a more efficient driver testing and licensing system.

This new route will help in the achievement of the Government’s Road Safety Strategy.

Major benefits should also be seen from a reduction in peak hour congestion in Ashbourne. The bypass will eliminate the heavy commercial vehicles that have been a major contributor to this problem.

Ashbourne will also be able to enjoy a reduction in noise and air pollution due to the reduction in traffic levels.

The N2 improvement will provide new economic opportunities by improving communications between the Ashbourne area and the commercial and industrial estates in North Dublin.

The reduction in transport costs will have an impact on the overall economy of Ireland by improving competitiveness in the production and export of goods. The improvement of the internal road transport infrastructure between the regions and within regions, will contribute to the competitiveness of the productive sector and to balanced regional development.

You will be particularly pleased to hear that the expected time saving of using the entire new N2 route is 20 to 25 minutes, based on average times taken.

It has been my pleasure to be here today. The many benefits arising from the Finglas Ashbourne Dual Carriageway can now be enjoyed with immediate effect.

25th May 2006

ENDS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Speech by the Taoiseach, Mr. Bertie Ahern T.D.,

Let no one be in any doubt but that the longer the delay in providing a new, safer motorway route from Dublin to Navan, the more lives will be lost. However, I believe the hard pressed commuters from Dunshaughlin to Navan and beyond, deserve a safer, faster and better solution and this Government is anxious to build it for them.
    Well Bertie for the hard pressed commuters you should build the bloody rail link and for the frieght transport companies just build bypasses around the bottlenecks! then you would have no delays!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Hoof Hearted

Does anyone know why 4 at grade roundabouts were built. I feel these roundabouts will significantly reduce the benifits of the road both from a capacity and safety standpoint. As the usage of the road increases tailbacks are going to form at roundabouts which will increase fuel consumption and exhaust emissions. Where are the roundabouts located?

Well Bertie for the hard pressed commuters you should build the bloody rail link and for the frieght transport companies just build bypasses around the bottlenecks! then you would have no delays!!!

I think he is right about the M3. Its being delayed for no reason whatsoever by those who are anti motorway. Tara is just an excuse. Build the rail line too btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Does anyone know why 4 at grade roundabouts were built. I feel these roundabouts will significantly reduce the benifits of the road both from a capacity and safety standpoint. As the usage of the road increases tailbacks are going to form at roundabouts which will increase fuel consumption and exhaust emissions. Where are the roundabouts located?

http://www.n2finglasashbourne.ie/intersection_map.htm

The three of the roundabouts are on the old road. The fourth is at the end of the off ramp at Cherryhound and is 3 lanes. I don't see a problem with any of them. Except perhaps at the Rath where the inevitable end of the bypass bottleneck might occur.

• Advertisement

Tara is just an excuse. Would I be right in saying that this would be the longest ever continual road scheme ever started in ireland??

Advertisement