Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another example of greed in public sector transport unions

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Victor wrote:
    Because change causes confusion and confusion causes stress. The driver has to remember to go to the new terminus (minor, but all important) and has to remember the names of the new stops, what stage they are at and how much the fare is from each intermediate stop.

Are you serious or being sarcastic?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,303 ✭✭✭✭Victor

murphaph wrote:
    Shltter, it's people like Paul and myself who work in the private sector for companies who wouldn't tolerate your childish union's whims that actually generate the wealth for this country. The public sector does not generate wealth. That is done by the private sector and our taxes pay for public services.
    Providing a bus service creates wealth. Whether that service is privately or publicly provided is largely irrelevant.
    Are you serious or being sarcastic?
    No. I am suggesting that there should be consideration given as part of change menagement, just like in the euro changeover, shops tended to provide additional cashiers, managers and cash-counting staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

3 months on from the beginning of this thread we finally have movement on one of the routes in question
    From dublinbus.ie:

Terminus Change - Route 123

Dublin Bus are pleased to advise customers that from Sunday 20th August 2006, the terminus for route 123 will be extended from Crumlin Hospital to Kilnamanagh Road. A revised timetable will be in operation.

Notice how route 121 and 122 are not mentioned and will for the moment stay terminating at Crumlin Hospital delaying the introduction of the QBC which was painted 4 months ago now.

All 3 routes were supposed to have moved in November 2005.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

All 3 routes were supposed to have moved in November 2005.

From what I hear a big part of this delay was caused be the local resident's around the new terminus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Recently here there was a thread on the painting of bus lanes on the Long Mile road. Part of process of introducing this quality bus corridoor will be changing the terminus of Dublin Bus routes 121,122 and 123. Currently these buses terminate at Crumlin Hospital but will have to move to facilitate the QBC. The new terminus for these routes is proposed to be on Kilnamanagh Road, Walkinstown which I would estimate is no more than 750m away from the existing terminus at Crumlin Hospital.

Guess what the drivers' union has done? Thats right it has demanded financial compensation for the drivers and has refused to sanction the new terminus point until drivers are adequately compensated. Those poor drivers, imagine the sheer stress of having to drive their bus a further 750metres up a freshly painted bus lane and serve 3 extra stops, it must be nearly breaking them :rolleyes:
    That's silly. Not all bus routes are the same length, but do drivers get different pay depending on what route they drive that day?

• Advertisement

Dub13 wrote:
    From what I hear a big part of this delay was caused be the local resident's around the new terminus.

That is correct local residents did have concerns about 3 busy routes terminating close by however that issue was resolved a few months ago, the main reason for the delay since then has been the union refusing to sanction the change.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

That is correct local residents did have concerns about 3 busy routes terminating close by however that issue was resolved a few months ago, the main reason for the delay since then has been the union refusing to sanction the change.

Is anybody aware of how this was resolved to the residents satasfaction...?I would not fancy a load of buses outside my house so I can understand there concerns.

Dub13 wrote:
    Is anybody aware of how this was resolved to the residents satasfaction...?I would not fancy a load of buses outside my house so I can understand there concerns.

The buses arent really outside anyones front door so not really much to be complaining about. Anyway DB agreed to reduce the number of buses terminating at Kilnamagh Road during peak hours. This can be seen in the new timetable of Route 123 which shows 3 peak hour services running to St James hospital only instead of continuing to Walkinstown. Only a token gesture if you ask me. The residents didnt get much political support from TDs/councillers as the move is facilitating a new QBC and the introduction of Route 151 from Clondalkin.

Advertisement