Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Us: 2x21 - "?" [** Spoilers Within **]

Options
  • 10-05-2006 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,806 ✭✭✭✭

- WARNING: THIS THREAD WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT YET SEEN "?" -

Episode Title: "?"
    Airdate: May 10th 2006

Synopsis (from TV.Com):

Mr. Eko seeks Locke's help in finding a secret location he believes holds the key to the island's mysteries; Jack and the other survivors grapple with the horrific situation in the hatch.

Next New Episode: 2X22 - "Three Minutes" - May 17th 2006

What did you think of "?" .. 111 votes

0%
    8%
    ObeyGiantscojonesTöpherKaiFranky BoyBuck OwensStephen Pfightin irishDannyBZR 9 votes
    26%
    FidelisAnimakaimeraBeruthiels10SauronmatrimWaltonsdead airduridiantoxofstevejazzxFrankieboyfailsafeThe Free ManGone WestJohnnyrazyoucancallmealLeprachaunJulesie 29 votes
    37%
    satchmowhitetrashIvanDEmeant0rMr E[Deleted User]digimanjor elLizardKingyawnstretch[Deleted User]mada999Selikrockymr_angryTheStrandRoadsPonsterslave1sprinklesangelofdeath 42 votes
    19%
    PiEDont be at yourselfDSGoodshapeWashoutfjoneirebhoyEKRIUQmonkeyfudgeUnpossiblebestymuckwarriorRoenSpider_Baby!GrumPyJPAsterculelumFrankGrimesTheVanAgamemnon 22 votes
    4%
    Basqzeferirishshoguncastagnolistev0o 5 votes
    1%
    Dampsquid[Deleted User] 2 votes
    0%
    [Deleted User] 1 vote
    0%
    muletide 1 vote
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,806 ✭✭✭✭Basq

4 things..

Firstly.. yes, that ("?") is the name of the episode before anyone asks the inevitable "do we not know the name of the episode yet?" :D

Secondly.. i've omitted the question mark at the end of the poll question "what did you think of.." and the two question marks would just mess with people's minds and feck up their equilibrium (.. it's true.. science says so!)

Thirdly.. i know it's up very early but i have exams these days and am posting the discussion thread whenever i've a chance, considering i almost forgot the one on Monday.

And lastly.. why did i bother commenting on these daft miniscule details?

PS - enjoy the episode all!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

> Mr. Eko seeks Locke's help in finding a secret location he believes holds the key to the island's mysteries;

Hmmm, I wonder why it isn't the other way around? I mean, Locke has drawn the map of what he thought he saw on the door with the big ? in the middle. Wouldn't he be the one that would be asking for Eko's help as Locke can't walk properly?

Though the fact that these 2 characters team up seemed normal to me as they both saw the black smoke stuff and survived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

that was actually pretty cool!(finally!...after 6 episodes of uselessness)
    cool, creepy and informative all at the same time.

the flashback was useless frankly, but the rest of the episode made up for it

the ending was both REALLY sad and creepy at the same time.
    really looking forward to next week now!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Is it normal that there's only one vote and it's a 1 ?

Cool episode. You can really feel like the show building up to something at the end of this season. I liked the flashback though. It's about time that character got one :)

Gonna have to watch it again and take notes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

after voting ten last week always knew this wasnt going to be as mesmirising epISode. but it was solid 7 with the story moving forward ever so slightly (at least its moving forward).

I liked the new hatch. hoped that the other CCTV cameras worked.

I liked the whole Eko/Locke interaction.

The backstory was rubbish but it was good to see more coincidences coming through ie. Claires Psychic.

It is an episode that needs watching over again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Ponster wrote:
    Is it normal that there's only one vote and it's a 1 ?

Yes. A lot of people won't have seen the episode yet, myself included.

I'll watch it tonight when I get home from work. Then I'll vote. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

No, its just popinfresh acting the prick. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

so what happened in this episode? Having network troubles so won't get it downloaded for a while but I actually enjoy this show a bit more I think when I know whats coming as it makes me more tolerant of how much it drags stuff out so hit me with them spoilers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

/me hits FrankGrimes with them
    spoilers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

wow, sounds like an intriguing episode, I'm eternally indebted to ya Kaimera

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭cerebis

it was a pretty good episode....a new hatch etc...wonder where locke's map goes??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

Notice how all of the other hatches (Arrow, Snake, Pearl) seem to be vacated now? What're the Others leaving them empty for?

I was really hoping we'd get to see Michael doing something. Ah well, at least the promo looks promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Good Episode a solid 8.

Nice to see Ana Lucia in the dream sequence, Good Locke/Eko interaction, I see this relationship becomming more important next season. Also when Eko climbed up to the top of the cliff his brother was in a wheelchair, must be some reference to Locke. the new video was interesting although damaged in Key sections, also interesting the 1980 copyright at the end of it. I wonder where the vacuum distribution system leads?
    Michael is creeping me out, I hope Syiid gets to work him over next week.
    Very sad at the end :(

Snake ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Well, I did really enjoy this episode, infact it was probably a more solid episode than the last, which to be honest, only really had the excellent ending.
    So it's obvious Michaels not being brainwashed or whatever now I think, you can tell that he's still him, obviously he's being manipulated by the Others in the hope that he'll get Walt back, which was the basic assumption last week.
    Libby is actually dead then, which begs the question of how they are possibly going to tell us WHY she was in the mental hospital, maybe in a Hurley backstory where he finally remembers? Still though, if she was just there because she was a bit nuts at the time i'll be seriously disappointed, this was a cliffhanger and made out to be a big deal by the writers. This needs to be resolved but it'll probably be mid way season 3 before it is IF they give us answers.
    So Locke and Eko are connected in some way, Eko had no previous knowledge of the ? before the dream, Locke had no previous knowledge of Ekos brother. I guess the obvious explanation would be that the island is connecting them together. Although another theory could be that it has something to do with the nano machine black smoke type thing which they both saw face to face and survived. (Remember how when Eko saw it, it ran through all his memories?)

So the last 3 episodes (or 2?) will involve them going to GET MICHAELS BOY BACK! from the Others, who are obviously a lot better equipped than Michael makes them out to be. From what he said they are at one of the remaining 3 hatches we havent seen.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Is it my imagination or is the Dr. guy in the video lying about his name - I think in was something else in other video and didn't he have only one arm in it too?

Must go back and look at it again

Hyzepher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭danbhala

Hyzepher wrote:
    Is it my imagination or is the Dr. guy in the video lying about his name - I think in was something else in other video and didn't he have only one arm in it too?

Must go back and look at it again

Hyzepher

yeah he said in the 1st orientation video that his name was Dr. Marvin Candle....

i thought that the priest said that locke would find faith again!he didnt!plus it leads us to believe that pushing the button is a controlled experiment!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

a thoroughly great ep, from begin to end. finally we see the psych experiment outed and realised but very well done. Is eko being manipulated into the next locke? or HAS LOCKE GRADUATED AND EKO chosen as the next disciple?
    we're supposed to have a mad finale, its set up for something insane I can feel it, there are so many diastrous possibilities, flashback was short and sweet and uttterly essential as most of them are despite the absolute nonsesne posted on here from time to time asking for flashbacks to be 'removed' from the show...
    anyways jack s gonna cop on to the fact that libby didn't say anna lucia, she said michael....and that anna being a cop and able to handle a gun properly makes it more unliley that hgale just nabbed it from her.......its getting very interesting, i always knew there would be a monitoristion hatch...and now we know how zeke and co knew their movements names etc, but what i'm thinking is that monitiorisation might just be another part of the test in that they were meant to find it...

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭cerebis

yeah its mad the way the other hatches are decayed....yet when claire was in her flashback that hatch was in operation..me senses a glitch in time...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Wow, what an episode. I can feel they're building up to a great finale. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Narcissus

Good episode. an 8 for me.

So it actually is just a big brother experiment!

I wonder where this is gonna go and if there is an actual purpose to typing in the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Yeah it's weird that the Swan hatch was still in operation when all the other hatches seem to have been abandoned (the ones we know of anyway) But didn't Desmond say something about the fact the dharma were supposed to take him off the island months ago? Maybe they forgot about him wen they took the others? but then that doesn't explain the fact that they're still parachuting food to him. Argh, so many questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Narcissus

Desmond never mentioned anything about Dharma. Still so many questions though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Anyone else pick up on the tape being dated 1990?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Definatley was 1980.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Definitely one of the better episodes of the series. Before last week i was starting to lose faith in Lost as it seemed to have forgotten entirely about telling us why they were on the island. The lack of Dharma was weeing me off a little. After that episode though, i can't wait for the finale. So many posibilities.

Jack is definitely going to figure out that Michael said Libby had been shot by the time he got there, and wonder how Libby knew he was there at all then,which should be interesting. Hopefully, Desmond will come back into it. I'm really interested to know how Ecko and John are "connected".

What's the story with the fortune teller and his daughter? Same guy who freaked out when Claire went to him even though he was going on about how he doesnt believe in miracles? Seems to be a bit of a coverup. And the girl "seeing" eckos brother. wtf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Apapaia wrote:
    Good episode. an 8 for me.

So it actually is just a big brother experiment!

no not at all...

(only read if you don't mind possible spoilers, nothing here about future eps though)
    , it was in the begining (circa 1980) then dharma started to break away, alvar hanso overthrown, now they (hanso org) have the w.h.o in their pocket they can develop lethal strain s of viruses(or is it virii) and sell on the antidotes/drugs through their secret affilate widmore corp(remeber the preg test linking them to being a pharmaceutical comp, so the 'others' as we know them (anna refers to them as animals) are just guinea pigs/lab rats like the losties but they've experienced much more severe drugging/experimentation, (this is why they're animals/like the controlled dog michael has become) and the fake disguises we've seen are
    not to fool the losties but this group, it's a way for the dharma scientists to walk amoung them unnoticed and keep them loyal and controlled to 'him'. They bring plane s to the island and then the electromagnetic sphere they have set up rips apart the vehicle to each extreme end, the + and - i.e each side of the island, while the em fields integrated nano mechanical remote viewing interaction center(aka 'smokey) oversees our crash survivors, btw those who live but who weren't central to the experiment are deemed variables...those who were central to the experiment were organised back in the real world bu the military in the case of sawyer, sayid, kate, or by family in the case of jack, claire, or by faith like locke and eko.
    the cnetral hanso figure 'hurely' has been purposefully given the numbers(through lenny the nut in the hanso owned mental institute) as they contain a mathamticlal anoamly or divinity that the scientists wish to track by stranding him desert bound on a scientifically contained and monitored
    island, dave (a hanso based employee) attempts to get hurley to kill himself when they fear the numbers have become too uncontrolable, libby in an attempt to keep the experiment going feigns a romantic interest in hugo, suggesting she has moved from the ranks of the hanso org to the free radical ideas of new dharma, now if someone would be kind enough to tell what the hell walt is exactly i would be happy!
    I wonder where this is gonna go and if there is an actual purpose to typing in the numbers.[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

"Do you want to watch that again John?"

Excellent piece of humour again by the writers after Locke's "We're gonna need to watch that again" piece after the first Orientation video.

8/10 for the episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭TheStrandRoads

I don't think there's enough reason (from Jack's point of view) for Jack to question Michael about the incident, let alone suspect him in any way. And Jack's reply to Libby's dying word of 'Michael..' was something along the lines of 'Michael's ok'.

Furthermore, we're forgetting that the two killings were most likely captured on camera. But there in lies a dead end, at least for the moment, as I imagine Locke and Eko will keep knowledge of the new hatch to themselves.

I'm assuming of course that they record what they're monitoring at 'The Pearl' - in addition to just taking notes. The equipment is there to do it.

Did anyone else notice that there's cameras monitoring the volunteers of 'The Pearl'? For what reason should the people who are doing the monitoring, be monitored themselves?

John

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

i thought when echo met the father of the "miracle" girl was interesting.. considering clair went to him.. wonder why he said all that stuff about "you must protect the baby" ect.. and who the people were in L.A. .. wonder if he is with dharma

Advertisement