Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting stomped at first oblivion gate.

Options
  • 05-05-2006 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

Hey all, recently started playing this game as thief with a focus on archery and one handed weapons. Am currently at level two after going through the dungeon place immediatly opposite the sewers you come out of. Anyway I went to the monastery immediatly afterwards and then to the first oblivion gate. Needless to say i am getting my ass handed to me every step of the way. Takes about 2 minutes to kill one of those little feckers so by the time i entered the castle i was out of arrows. Once in the castle i am dead in the space of a minute.

Am I doing something majorly wrong here? Should i leave the gate and level up before going back? Or is the game just this tough

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

i think i was level 4 when i went through the first gate, after having levelled my blade and magic skills up a bit. it wasnt too bad then. just run around and find a few dungeons before going to kvatch. you should be grand then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Well leveling up would be a good idea. But for oblivion itself, it is a fire type place, so fire resistance and cold offensive spells/weapon enchants would be your friend. Sneak where possible, as you're a thief your skill should be alright, and snipe from a distance with your archery. If you get a sneak attack there is a bonus multiplier too.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

It might be an idea to do a few side quests - especially the arena to build up some combat skills. also - as your a thief go steal stuff and sell it and then find a trainer and pay them to level you up on some combat stuff - blade, armour, marksman etc. I made the mistake of not knowing about trainers til late on - I'd have leveled much quicker with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

As said already, use sneak. I'm a thief aswell and I only use bow as a weapon. I can't count the amount of areas/missions i've bean through without actually killing anyone.

If you have to kill, do it from far away (zoom comes in handy later) and beside a pillar or some solid structure in the dark. Fire, then duck behind the structure. Most of the time, the enemy will not see you.

Repeat a couple of times, or maybe change location if they begin searching the area your in (and they usually will). This way, you will consistantly get your sneak attack bonus. If they see you, run and hide. This is my method of attacking and its so effective, I'm on level 20 and my light armour is level 45, while every thing else is about 80 or so.

Anyway, main thing to remember, Sneak is your friend.

Of course, there is no shame in turning the difficulty down a tad. The meter is VERY sensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Duras

I think I was level 6 when I did this mission. It was very difficult for my character to do it still, I got all the allies killed and I barely finished it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

As said already, use sneak. I'm a thief aswell and I only use bow as a weapon. I can't count the amount of areas/missions i've bean through without actually killing anyone.

Rofl. See, thats the difference between a thief and a ninja. You left no one dead, I left no one alive... :D

Being a thief is hard. :(

We're branded evil, but we're kicked out of the guild if we kill anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

you are evil...

Us Spellswords would never steal....

On a non role playing note being a thief is supposed to be hard because of the fringe benfits from developed skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

i'm only level two battlemage and i've just found a nice magic totem which kills goblins with one strike
    are these common around the place?

Did you get that in a side quest involving warring goblin factions?

• Advertisement

no i just found it in a cave with a lot of goblins protecting it
    actually i found 2, maybe i'll get it as a quest later on and i've already done it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Vodka Junkie

Don't leave it too late. I left that first quest til level 15 or 16 as I like to do eveything else first, in the castle I had to face off against 5 daedroths and 2 clannfears AT THE SAME TIME!!! thank god for inaccessable crevices and fireballs is all I can say.

ignore this ;)

superfly wrote:
    ignore this ;)

that battle took me a half hour while hidoing up by the gate lever. Preobly only survived coz they all tried to rush up at once and got in each others way most of the time. The pile of corpses at the end was worth it though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

that battle took me a half hour while hidoing up by the gate lever. Preobly only survived coz they all tried to rush up at once and got in each others way most of the time. The pile of corpses at the end was worth it though :p

Yeah level a bit but don't be crazy and wait til you'relike level twenty as the enemies will also have scaled and it will be tough but do-able

whats the story with levelling as i have about 20 hours up on the game but i'm only at level 3 whereas a guy who only started playing it yesterday as a Mage is at level 8 already?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Depends on what you do. You could jump around and sneak a lot to get points up fast etc. It just depends on how you play. I started yesterday, level one. :)
    Go on the woodelfs!(I'm a sexy one at that)

Go on the woodelfs!(I'm a sexy one at that)

Most wood elves in the game appear to be crazy....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'm a welcome addition to them then. I'm ****ing people over. \o/

I thought your PC would not run it?

He moochs off my one.

• Advertisement

So he said.
    I hope you get sechks fot that, mmm incest sechks, the best kind.

You know it.

But I also like the insect sechks, mind.

Man the first gate is a bitch. Ther at level eleven. Fighting four clannfears and several mages/scamps at the same time!
    I have to stand back and let martin pulverise all. Basically, I run in circles screaming.

Man the first gate is a bitch. Ther at level eleven. Fighting four clannfears and several mages/scamps at the same time!
    I have to stand back and let martin pulverise all. Basically, I run in circles screaming.
    Ahh Martin, Bless his immortal heart.

Martin in first gate...?

Wha..?

The dope that keeps running into the lava on me...

Thats not martin!

Martin's the emperors heir....

Ya, I brought martin to the first gate, he did all the work. Then I brought him round the map for a few days, killing things.
    so...immortal.

Really? You brought him round to tha ma? Lucky woman! ;)

• Advertisement

What! Where are my false teeth?!

I just serenaded you In TCN, less mamma jokes!

Advertisement