Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N7 Naas Road Widening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭Bards

regedit wrote:
    Most people in Europe, especially the continent, would not consider the Yankees the brightest people on the planet BTW.
    Secondly, tailgating is dangerous for at least 12 reasons. Therefore, I would never consider it.
    What amazes me here is that people lack the basic courtesy when it comes to driving. There are very polite drivers but the rule should be (seen this in Germany, Austria and many other countries) that if one signals to move out/in, you should reduce the speed and let the vehicle in front of you carry out the maneuver (not endangering the traffic on the lane one is traveling). I do not know what the reason for this type of driving is but I reckon it is to be blamed on the large number of L drivers (once you have road tax and insurance, Gardai will not ask you for a license), the ones who were abolished decades ago and given full licences... and Finlay people from rural communities/farmers who drive seldom on major roads hence become confused with the traffic.

Like in the US where vehicles joining the Motorway have right of way and traffic in the merging lane must move over or slow down to let them merge. It is much safer as the cars on the Motorway can see with much more clarity the traffic about to merge as opposed to the merging traffic looking behind for a safe spot to merge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Bards wrote:
    Like in the US where vehicles joining the Motorway have right of way and traffic in the merging lane must move over or slow down to let them merge. It is much safer as the cars on the Motorway can see with much more clarity the traffic about to merge as opposed to the merging traffic looking behind for a safe spot to merge.

Where did you see this? It's certainly not the US norm, and it's a really bad idea.

Dermot

Kentucky.. sister lives there and been there a few times... works really well

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Bards wrote:

Not in California - from the California Driver Handbook:
    Space To Merge

Enter the freeway at or near the speed of traffic. (Remember that the maximum speed allowed is 65 mph on most freeways.) Do not stop before merging with freeway traffic unless absolutely necessary. Freeway traffic has the right of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Bards wrote:
    Kentucky.. sister lives there and been there a few times... works really well

What happens when you've some mope merging at 30mph, you're doing 60 mph in the inside lane and heavy traffic is passing you at 65mph in the outside lane?

Seems like a 'mare to me.

• Advertisement

I believe there are miinimum speed limits... I can only judge by what I have seen and it works very well... much better than what we have here

'Tis mad. So instead of yielding once at the point you join the expressway you have to spot every junction you approach and yield at ever single one of them, very likely performing a lane change? Daft.

Dermot

So can I assume you don't yield/let traffic merge onto motorways as it is... and this traffic must force themselves onto it instead

Bards wrote:
    So can I assume you don't yield/let traffic merge onto motorways as it is... and this traffic must force themselves onto it instead

Is that for me? I don't yield to merging traffic. I leave an adequate gap in front of me and let the merging traffic look after themselves. Nobody has to force themselves on anybody. The government publishes a brief guide to all this, and a rather longer one in the guise of the Road Traffic Acts.

Dermot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I really cant see why people dont just use COMMON BLOODY SENSE when letting people in at interchanges.

If its not going to hurt you to let them in, let them in. Be curteous to other drivers, and theres no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Happy Bertie

Bards wrote:

In all states in the US the rules state those merging have to yield to those already on the expressway, but in practice those on the expressway normally leave space for those merging especially if the person merging has accelerated up to traffic speed. If people took the yield rules literally there occasionally would be a lot of people coming to a complete stop on the merge lanes causing greater safety and throughput issues. It helps in the US that the average car has an engine torque of at least 210 lb.ft (279Nm) where as in Ireland the average torque is probably below 90 lb.ft (119Nm) especially when accelerating on the merge ramp. The horsepower figure is less important because people would need to spin the sh*t out of their engine to get any decent acceleration. In addition with manual transmissions you get some eejits in Ireland trying to accelerate in 5th gear (they think it's the fast gear..duh)

There is a lot of political correctness in the ROTR everywhere in the world. This is most obvious in speed limit setting. In Illinois where I live they the speed limit is adjusted in a very consistant method according to the road characteristics. To accomplish this there are 9 speed limits used on non expressway roads - 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55 mph. They are well thought out for the conditions, junctions, built up areas, road radius of curvature, etc. In Ireland it seems to be a one size fits all i.e. the limit doesn't change for bends on the road, or if road junctions are ahead.
    Is it really that hard to reduce the speed limit on bends and increase it on straight sections with few junctions and entrances. Some regional roads need to be 100kph and some sections need to be 30kph. Why not do it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DerekP11

regedit wrote:
    BTW, I was wondering how long does it take someone to get from Newbridge to Citywest or even the RCR now that the works are almost completed?

No more than 20 minutes to Citywest. As for RCR. That depends on time of day. From 9.30 to 10.30, half an hour. If it builds at Newlands, were into guess work.

UPDATE

The entire carraigeway is now 3 lane Southbound to the M7 tie in. Still hard shoulder restrictions due to fencing works. Northbound, the surfacing is done, but inside lane is still "bollarded" off. This could change within hours as it looks ready to go. Overall we're there, more or less. A huge improvement. Has anyone noticed any increased congestion approaching Newlands in the morning peak? One of the predictions was that the new grade seperations would rush traffic towards it quicker.

Any thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

DerekP11 wrote:
    No more than 20 minutes to Citywest. As for RCR. That depends on time of day. From 9.30 to 10.30, half an hour. If it builds at Newlands, were into guess work.

UPDATE

The entire carraigeway is now 3 lane Southbound to the M7 tie in. Still hard shoulder restrictions due to fencing works. Northbound, the surfacing is done, but inside lane is still "bollarded" off. This could change within hours as it looks ready to go. Overall we're there, more or less. A huge improvement. Has anyone noticed any increased congestion approaching Newlands in the morning peak? One of the predictions was that the new grade seperations would rush traffic towards it quicker.

Any thoughts?

Yes a long time now, Newlands cross cannot cope with the amount even if traffic levels don't rise, because now with the upgrade your going to have to fast free flowing hitting the junction now just make matter worse and therefor queues will lenghten way past Citywest. When September comes it will make the madness we have now a childlike issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

I dunno, so far the time it takes to get from Naas to city is looking pretty good. In fact its made me get into town WAY to early.
    Tuesday morning has to drive to Inchicore for 9am. Left house at 7:20, was in inchicore at 8:50
    Wednesday had to be in city center at 10am. Left house at 7:30, was at custom house quay at 8:30 (big delay was quays, 30 mins to get from heuston to custome hse quay.
    This morning left at 8am, was in Ballymount at 8:30 (stopped for coffee an all)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DerekP11

Hmmm... interesting. I don't leave Naas until 9ish. Hit Newlands turn for Belgard road at approx. 9.20. At the mo, some mornings the approach to M50 looks bad and good.

I'll go with the opinion of Mysterious.

September will be the time to judge. Holidays over, back to school and back to work.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The M7 has now had most of its junctions either numbered (or in the case of the former J7-J11, renumbered) to fit in with the new numbering scheme on the Naas Road. Exception at the moment is the Naas junction itself which is still numbered J9 southbound but J7 northbound - no doubt this will be fixed soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

Having driven the 'new' N7 a number of times recently, I can now confidently report on a new phenomenon in Irish road use. Its called the 'dual fast lane' approach.

What happens is that the slow lane is now, apparently, in the middle, and is accompanied by fast lanes on either side. So the grannies can cruise up the central lane, wandering slightly from side to side, with other traffic choosing a side to pass them, depending entirely on a whim.

Those drivers, like ignorant little me, who chose to sit in the inside 'fast lane', then get beeped at for holding up traffic. I think an education campaign may just be in order.

Aidan1 wrote:
    Having driven the 'new' N7 a number of times recently, I can now confidently report on a new phenomenon in Irish road use. Its called the 'dual fast lane' approach.

What happens is that the slow lane is now, apparently, in the middle, and is accompanied by fast lanes on either side. So the grannies can cruise up the central lane, wandering slightly from side to side, with other traffic choosing a side to pass them, depending entirely on a whim.

Those drivers, like ignorant little me, who chose to sit in the inside 'fast lane', then get beeped at for holding up traffic. I think an education campaign may just be in order.

:D That's a funny way of putting it. The inexperienced drivers would see it as a balance neither here or there approach just gliding through the traffic at a constant speed. That's probably one of the most annoying thing is they stupidly stay in the middle lane the whole length doing 60miles an hour or something along those lines, thinking it's perfectly normal - almost predictable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 PhilipFromBosco

So back to the big question, any word on its official opening date of the N7. The project website says the end of August for completion of all road works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭cormthechippy

The main N7 is open, all three lanes. Drove up and back to Limerick at the weekend, 2hours, so it definitely makes a difference with the 100 km/h limit. Not very many obeying it though, is it likely to be upgraged to 120?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Is this suppose to be 'officially' opened today or is it already 'officially' opened??:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Fool 5000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Do they still have the height restriction on the M7 on the flyover that was part of Exit 7 (now I believe Exit 9)? Trucks had to go up the off ramp and then back down the other side to avoid passing under the bridge. They did some work on the bridge itself and on the surface underneath when joining the upgraded N7 to the M7.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭dublinhead

Naas Road is top class. Drove to Nass( a nice place to shop! ) from Rathcoole in 10mins on Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Hows Newlands Cross faring thesedays?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

is this now 3+3 all the way to Naas?
    and have all the junctions to Naas now been grade-seperated?

the press release above suggests the upgrade only goes as far as the Kildare border.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

loyatemu wrote:
    is this now 3+3 all the way to Naas?
    and have all the junctions to Naas now been grade-seperated?
    Yes on both counts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

There are still some private residences that have entrances to the dual carriageway along with some odd turn offs like the one to Newcastle on the northbound carriageway before the Rathcoole exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

All perfectly acceptable IMO, given what went before it is great. It reminds me of the A55 across north Wales in many ways, same reasons that the A55 aren't a motorway too.

Far far better than tearing up vast swathes of the contryside along the canal to build the M7 and add yet another junction to the congested M50. Hopefully we'll get the 'good' red cow upgrade as discussed in the other thread and then it's just Newland's to worry about.

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote:
    All perfectly acceptable IMO, given what went before it is great. It reminds me of the A55 across north Wales in many ways, same reasons that the A55 aren't a motorway too.

Far far better than tearing up vast swathes of the contryside along the canal to build the M7 and add yet another junction to the congested M50. Hopefully we'll get the 'good' red cow upgrade as discussed in the other thread and then it's just Newland's to worry about.

If they are going to upgrade Newlands cross. I'd agree with you about closing off the eastbound slip on the Monastery road interchange. Alternatively you can allow eastbound dedicated lane to M50 NB, this would allow free flow movement as the citybound traffic is restricted. But as planned all movements are allowed. even traffic coming from Limerick etc can take a left onto the Monastery road here. It's pointless when you can just take a left at Newlands just as easy.

Westbound of the Naas road is fine, but Traffic from the M50 is restricted to access the luas. though with the good red cow design it's possible for traffic to enter this interchange at all movements as I believe as the M50 slip is at grade with the rest of the road. where as the EIS partial free flow isn't. Anyway hope this make sense.

amound of acesses to the N7 is redicoulous. Fair enough all the old acesses have being there for Ions. but it should have less though. The local access road between Redcow and Newlands. it's stupid IMO.

Advertisement