Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I feel like an idiot

Options
  • 29-04-2006 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I was at the HIM gig yesterday with a few mates, but one of them I have liked for some time, since 1st year, I'm now in 5th she's in 6th (I did TYO).

I was getting along really well with her, I was beside her the whole time, and we nearly ended up holding hands a good few times before both the support band and HIM came on stage. We ended up walking on our own a few metres behind everyone else from the Ambassador to Dame Street to get the bus.

All was going well, we were texting each-other when we got home talking about the gig, but I seem to have the problem that when I'm tired I tend to speak my mind, and came straight out and told her that I like her, I even told her that I wanted to say it to her earlier but couldn't build myself up. I then realised what I had said so sent her another one telling her of my habit of speaking my mind and to ignore the other one if she wanted. I get a reply saying "I'm glad you're honest about it :) It's grand, I'm cool with it"

It's one of those situations where I feel really really stupid because I know she's going to avoid me like the plague whenever I see her next, most likely school on tuesday.

Was I right, was I wrong to say what I said?

Should I just forget about it and leave it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

You'd swear you called her a c*nt!

What you said is nice, she's flattered, and there is nothing wrong with liking someone :)

She may not feel the same, but that's ok. That's life!

You can choose to handle this in two ways -

1. Act awkward and make an uncomfortable feeling come between you.
    or...
    2. Be cool about it, act nice and normal with her, and if anyone says anything to you (or if she says anything to you) be totally cool with you liking her, and admit to it in a relaxed and happy way.

You've done nothing wrong! Don't beat yourself up. It's up to her now if she returns the feelings...

But don't act weird about it and make what you said seem strange. Just act like you've done nothing wrong...because you've done nothing wrong.

/doleman speaking from experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

Yeah I pretty much second Doleman's advice. You weren't wrong telling her that. I would have done the same if I had been getting on really well with someone and holding hands with them! Of course! Anyway just act as if it never happened, if you're awkward she'll pick up on that and will feel uncomfortable too. I doubt she'll be avoiding you because from the sounds of her text she seems, well as she said herself, cool with it! So don't worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Easilyamused

Cheers lads. I'm glad I said it because at least now she knows I suppose. I reckon I'll just act normal and hope for the best. I certainly don't want any awkwardness but it's to be expected I reckon.

Good stuff! If you start feeling weird in school, just remember you've done nothing wrong. If anything, what you did was courageous.

DOLEMAN wrote:
    Good stuff! If you start feeling weird in school, just remember you've done nothing wrong. If anything, what you did was courageous.

Cheers mate. I appreciate it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Gotta agree. It takes guts to tell someone something like that! i can only do it when im drunk!!! :D And usually end up hiding for two weeks afterwards lol

Dont stress. Stay normal around her and enjoy it! There's nothing like the high you get from being around someone you like! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's good that you told her either way. It's a great weight off...

just try to act normal as they said...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

DOLEMAN wrote:
    1. Act awkward and make an uncomfortable feeling come between you.
    sorry to put it bluntly but if you do this, you're gonna look like a plank. Just talk to her on tuesday and see how it goes, you'll be nervous everyone is and thats fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,050 ✭✭✭✭Esel

gillo wrote:
    sorry to put it bluntly but if you do this, you're gonna look like a plank. Just talk to her on tuesday and see how it goes, you'll be nervous everyone is and thats fine.

I think DOLEMAN was pointing out the 'plankness' of that choice. I'm also pretty sure the OP knew that when he read it.

OP, how does one 'nearly end up holding hands a good few times'?

Anyway, everything will go OK, you'll see! It's not like you spray-painted a big love heart on the school wall or anything.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

You weren't wrong for saying it, but I gather from her not saying "ktnx i <3 u 2" that the feeling isn't mutual. Sorry bud! That's just what I read from it, though. If you agree, then best move onto someone else.

• Advertisement

esel wrote:
    I think DOLEMAN was pointing out the 'plankness' of that choice. I'm also pretty sure the OP knew that when he read it.

Yeah I guessed I'd look like a plank doing that, admittedly I would've used a different word but it's the same
    OP, how does one 'nearly end up holding hands a good few times'?

We were standing there, both of us had our arms by our side, our hands kinda linked, as in they were beginning to, but then one of us would get knocked or something and they'd unlink, then the same happened a good few times.

We were standing there, both of us had our arms by our side, our hands kinda linked, as in they were beginning to, but then one of us would get knocked or something and they'd unlink, then the same happened a good few times.
    That mightnt mean anything.
    What you were thinking then and what she was thinking could have been poles apart,you just dont know.

As everyone else said act normal BUT what I think you could do is laugh about the text with her and say again that you meant it except this time face to face and see what happens.
    It's not the end of the world if she's not interested,you are going to have 100's more love problems in the next 20 years probably so relax and go with the flow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I wouldn't read too much into that ... you think it meant something because you fancy her, and you were probably hyper sensative that you were rubbing up against her. If she doesn't fancy you to her she probably didn't even notice ... if what you described meant something I would be going out with half of the 9am travelers on the LUAS :D

But I wouldn't feel embarrashed about telling her you liked her. You fancy her, she doesn't fancy you. Them are the breaks. Don't get worked up over it, it isn't a reject or anything. You did nothing wrong, and neither did she. So hopefully it won't be weird between you.

Wicknight wrote:
    I wouldn't read too much into that ... you think it meant something because you fancy her, and you were probably hyper sensative that you were rubbing up against her. If she doesn't fancy you to her she probably didn't even notice ... if what you described meant something I would be going out with half of the 9am travelers on the LUAS :D

Aye I know that
    But I wouldn't feel embarrashed about telling her you liked her. You fancy her, she doesn't fancy you. Them are the breaks. Don't get worked up over it, it isn't a reject or anything. You did nothing wrong, and neither did she. So hopefully it won't be weird between you.

I've never done anything like that before, I'm what one of my friends called yesterday "Mr. Subtlety" and he was shocked when he heard. Thinking about it I'm too lazy and sleep deprived to care anymore.

I have just realised that I really should've kept my mouth shut. I was on her Bebo a few minutes ago there when I saw 2 sections, one was "happiest when: talking to friends and with that really sweet guy:) " and the other "saddest when: studying and not with that really sweet guy:( ".

Should've seen that one coming

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Sorry, maybe it's late and I haven't read your post properly, but she never said she didn't like you.

So I would just be cool about it if I were you. The ball's in her court for the next while - see what happens.

And good man for being honest, girls do like that so i hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I have just realised that I really should've kept my mouth shut. I was on her Bebo a few minutes ago there when I saw 2 sections, one was "happiest when: talking to friends and with that really sweet guy:) " and the other "saddest when: studying and not with that really sweet guy:( ".

I assume that means she has a fella?

Don't worry about it, you didn't know. In this big bad adult world the only way you find out if a woman wants to go out with you is to ask her (the whole my mate fancies your mate thing doesn't work much passed 14 :p ). And there is nothing wrong with that, if she says no she says no. Its just the way it works.

You should never think you should keep your mouth shut. You liked her, nothing wrong with that. Sure it is a bit embrassasing, you put yourself out there, but really there is nothing to be embrassased about.

Red Alert wrote:
    Sorry, maybe it's late and I haven't read your post properly, but she never said she didn't like you.

It seemed very much like I'm not putting you down but nothing's gonna happen. That's the impression I got
    Wicknight wrote:
    I assume that means she has a fella?

Maybe not has one but likes one a lot.
    Don't worry about it, you didn't know. In this big bad adult world the only way you find out if a woman wants to go out with you is to ask her (the whole my mate fancies your mate thing doesn't work much passed 14 ). And there is nothing wrong with that, if she says no she says no. Its just the way it works.

I'd say it got old at 13. Yeah I know what ya mean. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,050 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Hey, maybe you are 'that really sweet guy'!

Not your ornery onager

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,715 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I wouldn't rule myself out of the equation so quickly. She might not like you now, but you might be able to get her to give you a chance, and if you're able to take that chance, then things could work out well. But that's long-run.

In the mean-time, act normal like everyone else is saying and leave it up to her to make the next move. All of the interpretations that people have given you here are conjecture, and they could all be wrong. If she likes you, she'll let you know becuase she can be sure she won't get rejected. You could just as easily be "that really sweet guy" just as much as anyone else!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hey, it could be you indeed. How and ever, don't take sweet guy to even mean she likes you or whoever it is.
    If she ends up not liking you like that, you're not alone in that boat by any means...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

esel wrote:
    Hey, maybe you are 'that really sweet guy'!

yeah man lol!! OR she could be evil, make you think it's you, so you say something else, to embarass you :D ahh no, I doubt it that, just act like you normally would when you go back to school.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭oulu

why not just ask her straight out does she fancy a date to flicks or whatever, if you speak your mind then go ahead, she might be waiting to see do u follow up your feelings she seems interested holding hands nearly so if u ask her out then the ball is in her court just do it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The first thing I thought when I read it was that the "really sweet guy" was you, OP. Why don't you think it is? It seems pretty obvious to me.

When I was younger, a guy told me straight out that he liked me and I was so shocked and flattered that I just said "Okay". He took that the wrong way and never gave me a chance to say I liked him too. Needless to say, we never got together.

Is there anyone else that you think has a high probability of being a potential love interest for her? If not, then just ask her straight out how she felt about you telling her that you like her, and is she interested. If she's not, that's fine, let it go. If she is, go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Faith wrote:
    The first thing I thought when I read it was that the "really sweet guy" was you, OP. Why don't you think it is? It seems pretty obvious to me.

Have to admit that was my first thought when i saw it too!!!!! :)
    I really think you should just send a message asking if she fancies going out with you?? You've already done the hard part!!! Go on!!! You may just be suprised!! :D

Aye, just ask her. It will be yes or no but you will know!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Boards pier pressure :D GET IN THERE!

You know what? And I don't want to depress the OP, but as this girl is a teenager, it's very possible the "sweet guy" is actually some asshole sleazy guy both the OP and girl know.

I'd be very careful in asking her "Am I the sweet guy?", because if you're not, she will likely tell the asshole guy, and he'll slag you off...

If you know what I mean!

You've made the first move, so I'd see what she does next... No need to take things too quickly...

As much as I wish I was the sweet guy I doubt it, the only thing I've ever really done nice for her was buy her the HIM ticket and a t-shirt after. It's not because I'm scabby but because I'm broke, I'm trying to afford driving lessons.

And also of the many different words I'd use to describe myself sweet wouldn't be one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

the only thing I've ever really done nice for her was buy her the HIM ticket and a t-shirt after.

That's so sweet, I wish i had a sweet guy like you!!:D

Advertisement