Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Ex-State vehicles - An Post, ESB vans, etc

  • 28-04-2006 7:17pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭ Silvera


    I have often noticed that UK classic car/van magazines often feature ex-Post or Electricity Board, etc vehicles which have been restored to how they would have looked during their working days.

    Does anybody here own an Ex-An Post, ESB, P&T, etc vehicle?
    Is it in it's original colours?

    I have yet to see such a vehicle on display at a car show.
    It would be great to see, for example, a Renault 4 van in the old ESB colours of orange and white ......or an old Telecom Van..

    I once read that Eddie Jordan had a collection (museum?) in the North which included a restored Ex-An Post Renault 4 van ........and he was occassionally spotted driving it around the local area!

    Or how about a restored ex-Garda car like this one (1984 pic) !


«1

Comments

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,738 ✭✭✭✭ corktina


    or better still...this one....

    http://i3.tinypic.com/wmcsol.jpg


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭ Santa Claus


    A friend of my father has 6 or 7 squad cars from the 60/70's and is trying to restore them (he's a retired garda so managed to get some old style lights etc from the garda museum)...

    The transport museum out in howth (at deerpark castle) has a few old P&T and ESB vans/trucks that they are trying to restore also.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭ ds20prefecture


    Remember that post with the Garda 2cv Truckette? I'd love to know where that is.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 ✭✭✭ Citroen Guru


    Should have my garda 2cv van on the road later this year. 30 years old in October. Chassis is repaired now.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭ ds20prefecture


    Cool! Did you put in a new galv chassis, or repair the existing?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭ Silvera


    Should have my garda 2cv van on the road later this year. 30 years old in October. Chassis is repaired now.

    Will it be repainted in Garda colours, crest, etc. ?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭ Santa Claus


    Silvera wrote:
    Will it be repainted in Garda colours, crest, etc. ?

    You have to get permission from the Dept of Justice to use the crest on anything..


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 ✭✭✭ Citroen Guru


    I repaired and strengthened the chassis where it had bent when it was delivered on a spec lift.
    Original colour is a light fawn but I've got a big tin of Scania creamy yellow. Its not original now anyway- fitted an 87 engine & box with disk brakes.
    My old Lancia has gone to a new home in Tralee so some of you might see it. Been replaced by a Volvo PV544 - heard they make pretty good rally cars. Must be entering second childhood!


  • Registered Users Posts: 612 green-blood


    my father used to have an ex-AerLingus VW minibus, it was in bits and we hadn't the wherewithal to sort it out, it ended up scrapped. My dad has never really forgiven himself

    A mate of his has recently acquired ad ex P+T split screen VW panel van, its in total bits but he is determined to restore it


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ ta2kev


    Is this the one you're talking about, fair play to him, it's a hell of a restoration job. http://type2ireland.org/newforum/index.php?topic=474.0


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 ✭✭✭ FatTony2000


    The P and T is mine . Its going to be a very long journey:D . If anyone nows more about the p and t vans i'd love to know. How many there were and what years the vw panel van was used and for what, that sort of thing. I know where there is at least one other and it is in quite good shape insured as of 2 weeks ago,although its not in origianl colour.


  • Registered Users Posts: 18 ✭✭✭ FatTony2000


    Oh by the way Green_blood who's your father? Its not Brian is it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭ Xlaxeo


    I am now the owner of an ex-Post van. Does anybody know where I can find the colour code for the green used for Post vehicles?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭ 1948Wolseley


    I used to have an ex-Garda Renault 4. I sold it on some time around 2002, but according to Mywheels it hasn't been taxed in a long time. ZS 3514, are you still out there?


  • Registered Users Posts: 551 trevorbrady


    we'll be needing pics of said post van ;)


  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭ Xlaxeo


    r4van2.jpg

    Here is the van. Anybody can help with the paint number/code?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭ G Luxel


    I spotted a few months ago, a P & T van Renault 4, orange and white , in a field. Last year I also spotted in a field, a Bedford Beagle Van (HA) in ESB livery....its like grey and yellow I think.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭ junkyard


    Xlaxeo wrote: »
    r4van2.jpg

    Here is the van. Anybody can help with the paint number/code?

    As far as I know if you look up Renault on your paint mixing scheme or who ever is mixing the colour for you, look up the green section and it will be listed as an Post green, it is on my scheme any way.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭ sogood


    There's a guy just off the Listowel road (heading out of Tralee) that has a number of ex post vans, mostly Renaults. Don't know what he does with them though, they are all just parked up outside his house. Is he any of you guys, if you know what I mean?


  • Registered Users Posts: 551 trevorbrady


    there's one of those Renault vans in orange parked at a house on the Stradbally-Portalaoise road, if you have a high vehicle you can see over the wall where it is. If you're in a car you're most likely to miss it...


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭ Pdfile


    A friend of my father has 6 or 7 squad cars from the 60/70's and is trying to restore them (he's a retired garda so managed to get some old style lights etc from the garda museum)...

    The transport museum out in howth (at deerpark castle) has a few old P&T and ESB vans/trucks that they are trying to restore also.


    do they take volenteers ? :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 bijapos


    Saw this in Durrow this year.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭ MercMad


    There was an ESB van and an An Post van at the Fingal show.There are usually some CIE and once I saw an RTE van there too.Those guys are big into their commercials.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,525 ✭✭✭✭ carchaeologist


    sogood wrote: »
    There's a guy just off the Listowel road (heading out of Tralee) that has a number of ex post vans, mostly Renaults. Don't know what he does with them though, they are all just parked up outside his house. Is he any of you guys, if you know what I mean?
    Your right,bit i think its mainly newer stuff he has,Berlingos and Kangoo vans.All for sale as far as i know too.
    If there was an R4 id buy one myself!
    Good to see people preserving the older ones.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭ MercMad


    There was a guy just North of where the Lissenhall roundabaout is at Donabate, a sort of slip road parallel to the old N1, heading North, and he had literally dozens of R4's and R4 vans.Probably 30 or so at one stage.Anyone remember that?


  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ Blue Punto


    yeah i remember that

    think they all rusted away into history


  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭ Xlaxeo


    MercMad wrote: »
    There was a guy just North of where the Lissenhall roundabaout is at Donabate, a sort of slip road parallel to the old N1, heading North, and he had literally dozens of R4's and R4 vans.Probably 30 or so at one stage.Anyone remember that?

    He had actually had 300 or so of them. People must have dumped their old R4s there as if it was a graveyard.

    Nobody was interested in them so he had them scrapped around 1998.

    He kept about 20 or so of them, and after most of them were scrapped, people started showing interest in them and he managed to sell every single one of the remaining ones he had, for decent prices despite their condition.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭ Pdfile


    Xlaxeo wrote: »
    He had actually had 300 or so of them. People must have dumped their old R4s there as if it was a graveyard.

    Nobody was interested in them so he had them scrapped around 1998.

    He kept about 20 or so of them, and after most of them were scrapped, people started showing interest in them and he managed to sell every single one of the remaining ones he had, for decent prices despite their condition.


    i know where theirs a few hidden, going to wait till i can afford them.


    pics to follow.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 renny4


    hi i just bought zs 3514 today


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ chevyv8


    Silvera wrote: »
    I have often noticed that UK classic car/van magazines often feature ex-Post or Electricity Board, etc vehicles which have been restored to how they would have looked during their working days.

    Does anybody here own an Ex-An Post, ESB, P&T, etc vehicle?
    Is it in it's original colours?

    I have yet to see such a vehicle on display at a car show.
    It would be great to see, for example, a Renault 4 van in the old ESB colours of orange and white ......or an old Telecom Van..

    I once read that Eddie Jordan had a collection (museum?) in the North which included a restored Ex-An Post Renault 4 van ........and he was occassionally spotted driving it around the local area!

    Or how about a restored ex-Garda car like this one (1984 pic) !
    esb never used orange and white as their colours , that was the p&t, esb reno 4s were grey and yellow.


Advertisement