Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M1 an excellent road

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

icdg wrote:
    the M9 (though that's actually a motorway standard road, albeit one without any intermediate junctions).
    Indeed where the M9 merges with the M7 (through the tunnel), it only has one lane. Its not like this doesn't have a precedent.
    mackerski wrote:
    It's escapable by leaving at Coolock
    You mean Coolock Lane? Two very different places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭mackerski

Victor wrote:
    Indeed where the M9 merges with the M7 (through the tunnel), it only has one lane. Its not like this doesn't have a precedent.

You mean Coolock Lane? Two very different places.

I do indeed. "Coolock" in this context was intended as a shorthand for "the junction you might use to access Coolock". Apologies to anybody I confused.

Dermot

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

icdg wrote:
    It'll now begin at M50 J3. Befween that and the mouth of the tunnel will reclassified as M50 - that's now basically been confirmed by planning officials in the newspapers.
    Have they made any decision on what the status is with the N1 - from O'Connell Street to the M50/M1 junction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Pfungstadter

Was on the M1 today,

When did CRG ppp get control of the M1 between the Dundalk and Drogheda bypasses, they have stuck signs at all the junctions welcoming people to their motorway.

As I understand these two bypasses were built with state and EU money and not private, only the Drogheda and Dundalk bypasses are private.

Also, the west link is about two 200m to 250m long and is 1.80€ but the M1 toll is 1.60€ and includes about 20km of road, what gives there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Was on the M1 today,

When did CRG ppp get control of the M1 between the Dundalk and Drogheda bypasses, they have stuck signs at all the junctions welcoming people to their motorway.

As I understand these two bypasses were built with state and EU money and not private, only the Drogheda and Dundalk bypasses are private.
    CRG have to maintain that entire stretch wherever you see signposts. This is a GOOD thing as it saves the exchequer money. None of them are 'private' per-se. The road is owned by the state. CRG have a concession period to toll the road to recoup what they spent building the bridges, laying the asphalt etc. but they do not 'own' the road. These PPPs always begin with the state buying the land under CPO and letting the PPP consortium build upon it if you like. Overall I am in favour of tolling but not private tolling. i'd rather the govt. built everything and tolled it if needs be, thereby funding other national interest objectives and not just adding to NTRs/CRGs/Eurolink's/etc bottom lines.
    Also, the west link is about two 200m to 250m long and is 1.80€ but the M1 toll is 1.60€ and includes about 20km of road, what gives there.
    Very bad value for money it would seem.

Anyone see FG's promise not to allow any further "private tolling deals" mentioned during their Ard Fheis today?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Pfungstadter

When I lived in Ukland I saw that the Higway Agency there contracted out certain roads to private firms.

The gov should have got it's thinking cap on and set up a semi state company to build certain pieces of infrastructure. They would be non profit and give value for money to the tax payer. USe the money generated to build new projects.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

spacetweek wrote:
    Have they made any decision on what the status is with the N1 - from O'Connell Street to the M50/M1 junction?

Dublin City Council are trying to get O'Connell Street detrunked, apparently without success. From their until the Beaumount interchange will prob remain N1 for the moment, but couldn't tell you what the section between there and the merge with the tunnel traffic will be - it may continue to be M1. From there until the current M1/M50 junction (M50 J3) will become M50 (or possibly M50 (M1), a la the M7 (M9)).

Re those signs on the M1, they're similar to signs on the M4, "Welcome to Eurolink M4/M6 PPP Motorway". There's also signs saying "End of Eurolink M4/M6 PPP Motorway", in some cases without the obligtory "End of Motorway Regulations" (crossed-out chopsticks) sign which is supposed to appear at the top of m-way slips, but which seems to be missing at some M4 junctions.

Advertisement