Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question about the Arena [Spoiler]

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Zillah wrote:
    I assume sword.

Couple of other points to consider:

Sword gets X6 ambush, arrow only gets X3.
    Sword can be swung much more often than arrows can be fired.
    You can't run out of sword.

In game mechanic terms the reason for the higher multiplier is not because the sword would do more damage, it is because there is much more risk in being detected when directly beside an opponent, similarly much less risk when far away with bow/arrows.... Consequently risk and reward proportional to one another... Higher risk, higher bonus.

FYI, if you have no repair hammers you can quite easily "run out of sword" Disintegrate weapon... and good old fashioned wear and tear from use..

In real life, Pressure is force per unit area as vegeta stated, Arrow wins hands down for anybody whos dabbled with physics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Let us not forget the strength and stamina of the user (in the realm of the real). A short sword is the way to go. Long swords or, God forbid Claymores are impractical unless you have the physique of our favourite Californian Governor, and even then it's slow, powerful swipes etc. Anyone even using a longbow would have to be an expert in it's use as it's unwieldy to a novice. Much better short bows or horse bows (or crossbows...almost equal to longbows in range and power untill surpassing them around the 1500s). An arrow from a longbow will penetrate all but the toughest platemail armor (obviously this wouldn't include Mithril or Glass etc) and at a range of about 100 yards would take a man clean off his feet. A Longbowman could loose 10 to 12 arrows a minute too, so I wouldn't fancy my chances running away either.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I'd rather get hit with an arrow than a claymore. Physics and what have you aside - I'll take my chances with a fairly pin point injury than a total devastating hack and slash with a 5 foot blade.

But on the short sword vs claymore argument. I'd rather tackle someone with the claymore. Its like preferring to fight someone armed with a sledge as opposed to someone armed with a claw hammer.

Thats just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

chamlis wrote:
    Let us not forget the strength and stamina of the user (in the realm of the real). A short sword is the way to go. Long swords or, God forbid Claymores are impractical unless you have the physique of our favourite Californian Governor, and even then it's slow, powerful swipes etc. Anyone even using a longbow would have to be an expert in it's use as it's unwieldy to a novice. Much better short bows or horse bows (or crossbows...almost equal to longbows in range and power untill surpassing them around the 1500s). An arrow from a longbow will penetrate all but the toughest platemail armor (obviously this wouldn't include Mithril or Glass etc) and at a range of about 100 yards would take a man clean off his feet. A Longbowman could loose 10 to 12 arrows a minute too, so I wouldn't fancy my chances running away either.

on the whole in Oblivion I just think an arrow should cause a little more damage when the stats are maxed (if a direct hit is scored) than a sword or ignore 80% armor.

oh and i love these hypothetical situation debates about games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Duras

Vegeta wrote:
    on the whole in Oblivion I just think an arrow should cause a little more damage when the stats are maxed (if a direct hit is scored) than a sword or ignore 80% armor.

I also believe that the damage produced by arrows is underpowered. It is funny to see your character running around with like 10 arrows stuck all over his body or to fire 30 arrows into a creature and after that it is still chasing you like nothing happened.

Back to the Arena, I managed to kill one of the first opponents using the bow as he was very slow and my Argonian character is very athletic. :-) But that was a 15 minutes fight shoot and run till I shoot him with like 30 arrows. And my bow does some magic damage as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

In game terms, a maxed out bow should be the same as firing a toilet point blank with the hl2 gravity gun. BANG! Damn that would be class. Especially if you knock him off a cliff or something. That's why Dark Messiah is going to be awsome.

we have an oblivion forum, woooo hooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

In game mechanic terms the reason for the higher multiplier is not because the sword would do more damage, it is because there is much more risk in being detected when directly beside an opponent, similarly much less risk when far away with bow/arrows.... Consequently risk and reward proportional to one another... Higher risk, higher bonus.

I was completely talking about in game for that post.
    FYI, if you have no repair hammers you can quite easily "run out of sword" Disintegrate weapon... and good old fashioned wear and tear from use..

No more than you'll run out of bow, so bow and arrow is still well behind.
    In real life, Pressure is force per unit area as vegeta stated, Arrow wins hands down for anybody whos dabbled with physics.

Pff, pressure per unit area does not equal more lethality. Quite the opposite in some cases. If I swing a sword in a side swipe at you, the energy will be spread through your arm/chest/organs. If an arrow hits me every last bit of its energy might smash off a thumb and nothing more. Energy per unit area is not very important when discussing soft human flesh.

Vegeta wrote:
    we have an oblivion forum, woooo hooooo
    where?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Vodka Junkie

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=648

Go here my child and all shall be revealed. :)

I finally managed to become Grand Champion :-D
    The easieast fight ever was the one with the Gray Prince. We both ran away to the middle of the ring. Then he looked at me with a dumb face and started to babble something there. Bang bang bang and he was down before he even raised the sword or shield.

What happened to you guys?

He started to "babble"? You mean he was talking to you?

Zillah wrote:
    He started to "babble"? You mean he was talking to you?

Yeah, he was saying some stuff but I was to bothered to hit him with the sword so I didn't pay attention to what he ways saying. I hit him several times while he was talking and he just collapsed and I become Grand Champion. Not much of an epic battle! Was it hard for you to get him?

Do you think thats what they intended? Clearly there was a bug that made him talk to you instead of trying to kill you.

So I take that you had a real fight with that guy? Did you solve the quest he asked you too first?

A recent unconnected conversation with a friend has revealed that when you bother with the Prince's origin quest then he gives up and just waits for you to kill him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Zillah wrote:
    A recent unconnected conversation with a friend has revealed that when you bother with the Prince's origin quest then he gives up and just waits for you to kill him.
    Yeah cause you made him suicidal after finishing the other quest. It's suppose to happen.

People were talking about arrow/sword multiplier damage earlier in the thread. I am not an archer but here's a trick I've read somewhere regarding sneak multipliers. Shoot bow/arrow at enemy, switch to sword before arrow lands and damage will be based on sword multiplier :)

Advertisement