Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BESS Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Keen2win wrote: »
    How much does the 1st year BESS pack from Hodges Figgis cost this year?

Either €160 or €170, not sure exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 guineylab

where is college green?...its listed for my tutorial

• Registered Users Posts: 7,522 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

guineylab wrote: »
    where is college green?...its listed for my tutorial

http://www.tcd.ie/Careers/contact/map_3clggrn.php
    Near the starbucks down from the main entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Sgro

http://www.tcd.ie/Careers/contact/map_3clggrn.php
    Near the starbucks down from the main entrance.

Had a tutorial here that I just missed because I had no clue where it was, so pissed off. Both the security guard in the Arts block and some random guy (think he was a staff member of the Wax Museum) told me it was the place near the smoking area of starbucks. 3 big old looking doors - only one had a light on inside but had a 'AIB Secure Deposits' post box on it - hardly that? Tried to open all the doors and they were locked, ended up just going home. Really should be more clear where these places are, they've been absolutely bollox about properly orienteering us so far. Between this and all the timetable ****e this year I'm really not impressed.

Sgro wrote: »
    Had a tutorial here that I just missed because I had no clue where it was, so pissed off. Both the security guard in the Arts block and some random guy (think he was a staff member of the Wax Museum) told me it was the place near the smoking area of starbucks. 3 big old looking doors - only one had a light on inside but had a 'AIB Secure Deposits' post box on it - hardly that? Tried to open all the doors and they were locked, ended up just going home. Really should be more clear where these places are, they've been absolutely bollox about properly orienteering us so far. Between this and all the timetable ****e this year I'm really not impressed.

I used my common sense and walked inside the entrance beside which it says "Trinity College. College Green".Literally next entrance to Starbucks at the bus stop. It's the entrance with the annoying automatic door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Sgro

subz3r0 wrote: »
    I used my common sense and walked inside the entrance beside which it says "Trinity College. College Green".Literally next entrance to Starbucks at the bus stop. It's the entrance with the annoying automatic door.

Yeah I looked it up when I got home - but I was told to go to the area inside of the taxi rank by both people (ie. in the immediate area surrounding the Wax Museum)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 scmc

Richieee wrote: »
    Aras an Phiarsaigh and Museum Building

Thank you!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Either €160 or €170, not sure exactly.

Also, it's a bit of a waste of money. The library has loads of first year BESS books. The only one you might need to buy is the Economics Textbook (just get the business articles from JSTOR)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 boolx

andrew wrote: »
    Also, it's a bit of a waste of money. The library has loads of first year BESS books. The only one you might need to buy is the Economics Textbook (just get the business articles from JSTOR)
    For the Maths and Economics modules, the books come with a log-in key for 'MyMathLab' and 'MyEconLab', which kind of means you have to buy them :(. Keys can apparently be bought separately for a small discount. Both the Maths and the Economics lecturers say that it's pretty much compulsory that we have access to these websites :confused:. It's a shame the university has to outsource to systems such as this that charge such a silly amount, the BESS director said himself that the prices were 10x what they should be.

Edit: Also, the pack is about €185 this year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

boolx wrote: »
    For the Maths and Economics modules, the books come with a log-in key for 'MyMathLab' and 'MyEconLab', which kind of means you have to buy them :(. Keys can apparently be bought separately for a small discount. Both the Maths and the Economics lecturers say that it's pretty much compulsory that we have access to these websites :confused:. It's a shame the university has to outsource to systems such as this that charge such a silly amount, the BESS director said himself that the prices were 10x what they should be.

Edit: Also, the pack is about €185 this year.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. At least they're the most useful books anyway. Sociology, Politics and Business books were mostly a waste in my experience.

• Advertisement

The Economics and the Maths & Stats books have online codes in them which we need to have to use the online systems MyEconLab and MyMathLab. And we were told we kinda need those cos even tests and homeworks will be distributed via those. Sure you can get them separately but then you also need to look for the books as well etc.

The BESS Pack and the new books in general are a rip-off but I think its much easier if you have them if you have the means to get them. But yeah options are there I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Oh yeah, forgot about that. At least they're the most useful books anyway. Sociology, Politics and Business books were mostly a waste in my experience.

I don't think I ever bought a single politics book. Definitely don't need them for politics or sociology or business in first year. The maths books tend to be useful as the courses get a bit more mathematical after first year and it's good to have a reference point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I would have said you definitely need the business book, it has all the readings you have to do for the tutorials.

Never used Sociology

I got a giggle out of that heh

• Registered Users Posts: 26 DazHealy

For everyone moaning about the cost of the first year bess books and pack I've all of last years books that im looking to offload. Drop a pm if you're interested

• Registered Users Posts: 43 guineylab

anyone have the MCQ answers to the 2010 or 2011 intro to econ 1st semester midterm?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭ronano

Any bess first year students know how to locate 'Meteor : How an Irish start-up changed the face of the mobile market' for intro to org and mgmt?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,522 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

It's in the intro to management and organisation textbook. Should be some copies in the library.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Meerkat11

Can anyone help with this economics question?
    Consider the proposed Irish government policy ofintroducing a tax on property under the headings of Efficiency, Equity and Simplicity. Does the proposed property tax meet theseprinciples? Why or why not?

Thanks

Meerkat11 wrote: »
    Can anyone help with this economics question?
    Consider the proposed Irish government policy ofintroducing a tax on property under the headings of Efficiency, Equity and Simplicity. Does the proposed property tax meet theseprinciples? Why or why not?

Thanks

Read the relevant chapter in The Irish Economy Textbook

• Advertisement

Thanks Andrew I have done that still isn't sinking in

Thanks Andrew I have done that still isn't sinking in

Exactly which bits don't you get/understand?

Basically all of it to be honest! I'm not really good at this subject? I know what each one means but I dont know how to apply them to the property tax!

Basically all of it to be honest! I'm not really good at this subject? I know what each one means but I dont know how to apply them to the property tax!

For example, you know about horizontal and vertical equality right? Just have a think about whether a property tax is equitable in these respects and make an argument; you're not going to find an objectively correct answer anywhere.

I might be a bit late, but where are the answers for the economics test listed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭ronano

are there tutorials next week or just lectures?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 fland

First year here,
    I can see on the BESS website that if we want to do Economics + Business next year, we have to choose 'EC2010, EC2020, EC2040' on the Economics side. Is EC2020, The Economy of Ireland, really compulsory? I would find that bizarre considering the number of international students on the course.
    EC2030, The Economics of Public Policy, is on the module list but is not listed as an option in any of the second year configurations.

How much choice are we given for second year? If we want to do Economics and Business do we really have to choose EC2010, EC2020, EC2040, BU2511a+b, BU2520a+b, BU2541a+b?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Richieee

fland wrote: »
    If we want to do Economics and Business do we really have to choose EC2010, EC2020, EC2040, BU2511a+b, BU2520a+b, BU2541a+b?

Yes. Although I also don't understand why the Policy course can't be chosen instead

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 fland

Richieee wrote: »
    Yes. Although I also don't understand why the Policy course can't be chosen instead
    Oh wow ok, I'll ask around about this, thanks :).

Another question: anyone know what the story is with BESS and Broad Curriculum modules? Can I just do the BESS course and slap an extra module on top of it (eg Psychology or something)?

Ta.

Advertisement